PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding action wording

driador
December 30th, 2018, 22:54
Good afternoon all, quick question...

While importing a monster as an NPC for a 5E game, I ran into an issue on how FG interprets one of its actions. That is, the phrase is :

"Each creature that is grappled takes X (2d10 +2) damage at the start of its turn"

Now, when this creature is in the combat tracker, this action shows up as an effect, and dragging/dropping the damage into the chat window applies it as an effect (ie, text only), rather than rolling dice. Am I doing this incorrectly (ie, should I be dragging this onto another pc in order for damage to be calculated), or is there a better way of phrasing this such that the damage is calculated like other attack actions?

Thanks in advance, and mods... if this needs to be moved to the 5E ruleset forum, please do so.

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2018, 23:05
To get the effect showing up correctly you should word it ‘each grappled creature takes x(ndn) <damagetype> at the start of each of its turns. This should create an effect on the CT of DMGO:ndn <damagetype>.

And yes this should be in the 5e forum but i’m on a tablet and it is too much of a PITA to do admin things on it.

driador
December 30th, 2018, 23:24
Thank you.

Is there a list of these reserved words somewhere?

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2018, 23:26
This is about as much as there is. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35937-How-to-Automate-effects-on-NPCs

GavinRuneblade
January 1st, 2019, 19:34
Thank you.

Is there a list of these reserved words somewhere?

As a kludge during play if something comes up, what I do is have an extra PC I created that I can code the effect onto and use that to deliver the effect to the proper target. This pc has no token or stats or anything, it is literally just a tool to put effects where they need to go if something is borked so that the wonkiness doesn't slow down or stall the game. I can take as much time as I need after the session to do it properly.