PDA

View Full Version : Immediate Actions in 3.5e/Pathfinder

Kelrugem
December 30th, 2018, 01:03
Hello all :) I hope you had nice holidays (and/or still have) :)

In my games are a lot of immediate actions (since we use the tome of battle for melee maneuvers and there are a lot of melee counter attacks described as immediate actions) and thus I like to use the box for the check mark for immediate actions in the CT :) I see that this check mark is always cleared for a person when it is the turn of that person. But as far as I remember it correctly then immediate actions are like swift actions in your actual round when you're using them in your round but they count as your swift action of the upcoming round when you use an immediate action while it is not your turn :) So, would it not be better when the box for the check mark is cleared directly after your turn/at the end of your turn instead of its begin, i.e. when it becomes the turn of the next person the box of the last person is cleared? :) Or does it already work like that and I may have some error?

Otherwise I may think about redefining immediate actions (off your turn) as counting as swift actions for your last turn when you didn't use any; the differences should be little and only for rare occasions (especially in the first round when one has e.g. Uncanny dodge) :)

Have a nice day :)

Best,

Kelrugem

darrenan
December 30th, 2018, 03:18
Could you paste a screenshot or two? I play a ton of PF and I honestly can't figure out which "box for the check mark" you're talking about. You're not referring to the turn indicator on the left side of the CT are you? Or are you referring to the modifier box in the bottom left of the desktop?

Kelrugem
December 30th, 2018, 03:26
I attached a screenshot :) At this test screenshot you can see at the attack entry of the CT something like "Imm?" and when you mouse over it then there stands "Immediate/Swift Action not used" and "Immediate/Swift Action used", respectively :) (as far as I know there is also one for the pathfinder ruleset; I play 3.5e) That is the box I've meant :)

Dark_Soul
December 30th, 2018, 10:49
Agreed, it should clear the swift/immediate check at the end of that creature's turn. This would reflect the fact that a creature can use a swift action during a turn and still use an immediate action before the creature's next turn, but it consumes the creature's swift action for their next turn.

Kelrugem
December 30th, 2018, 14:19
Ah okay, thanks, so I gladly didn't misunderstand this :)