PDA

View Full Version : 5e Combat Enhancer (built on retired GPL Advanced Kombat extension)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Tyrannosaurus VeX
April 18th, 2019, 02:31
Great Extension...
How do I get the Green checks or Red X's off the tokens when my players make the NPC save?

The far right button at the top of the image bar that looks like a little d20 is "Clear Saves"

Halfront
April 18th, 2019, 04:36
Great Extension...
How do I get the Green checks or Red X's off the tokens when my players make the NPC save?

Theirs a 20 sided dice looking icon on the top of the map..click that.

mogul76
April 22nd, 2019, 11:29
Excellent extension, Styrmir.

Perhaps it's a known issue but this currently doesn't seem to work as intended (i.e. the ranged-attack rolls are made at disadvantage if a PC is within 5 feet of an incapacitated hostile NPC):

- Considers if there are active enemy in melee range (of 5').
- Active meaning not suffering from the following conditions: Incapacitated, Paralyzed, Petrified, Restrained, Stunned, Unconscious.

Dax Doomslayer
April 22nd, 2019, 13:37
I've just started playing around with this extension. There are some pretty cool features that are very helpful. Thanks for doing this. One of my players is having issues with it however. He continues to get a script error (see attached). We did try to delete out the item from his inventory and then re-add it but still are having issues. Any ideas what we are doing incorrectly? 27137

scarymike23
April 22nd, 2019, 13:59
Great Extension...

There is a button on the map toolbar that looks like a 20 sided die. Click that to remove them.

(Sorry, this was already answered. I don't see a way to delete posts)

Tyrannosaurus VeX
April 22nd, 2019, 22:51
Styrmir,

I have a suggestion to put on the wishlist. Currently, the chat display results of all rolls outputs solid black text for the Roll numbers and modifiers, but the result is output as Gray. I think a lot of users would love to see some different options for that. For instant, just switching them so the result is clearer, or possibly different color options, etc.

HuseyinCinar
April 23rd, 2019, 12:40
Styrmir,

I have a suggestion to put on the wishlist. Currently, the chat display results of all rolls outputs solid black text for the Roll numbers and modifiers, but the result is output as Gray. I think a lot of users would love to see some different options for that. For instant, just switching them so the result is clearer, or possibly different color options, etc.

Using the player color could be cool. Like, the dice color.

gamerhawaii
April 24th, 2019, 05:14

There is this stand-alone extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45660

It does not do it by player color or let you switch it dynamically, but it does set the color to Red, Green, or Blue. And one version to make the font larger as well. I use the Large Red extension and it works great.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
April 24th, 2019, 06:11
There is this stand-alone extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45660

It does not do it by player color or let you switch it dynamically, but it does set the color to Red, Green, or Blue. And one version to make the font larger as well. I use the Large Red extension and it works great.

Thanks for letting me know about that. Very useful.

Mazzar
April 29th, 2019, 22:09
Finding an issue.. I have a PC flanked diagonally with 2 NPC's.. First, if they are unidentified, I get a script error. Second, I can't seem to get them to attack with advantage.

StoryWeaver
April 30th, 2019, 11:34
@mogul76
As far as I know this works and did so during last testing, I'll have another look when I get the chance. Make sure you have the latest versions of the extensions installed.

@Tyrannosaurus Vex
Good suggestion. I'd say though that if the extension suggested by gamerhawaii does the same, then it would be worth trying that for now at least.

@Mazzar
Make sure your tokens are inside the squares (hex grid is not supported) and not on the line (half between two separate ones). The code assumes tokens are correctly placed within the squares to compare their locations in the square grid, to determine flanking.
I'll have a look to see if I can recreate the script error and do some testing on the issues when I have the chance.

While there are a few things I have in mind I want to add to this extension. I am rather loaded with work and other projects I'm working on for the immediate future.
More over most worthwhile additions take quite a few hours up to days of planning, architecting, coding and testing to implement. So that needs to be considered when I weigh the payoff in improvement to the extension, particularly if that work may have to be redone to some extent to support FGU.
So I'm wanting to see what changes there are to the core functionality that come with the beta of FGU before I dedicate to much more time on work that I might end up having to be redo on its release.
I have a feeling I'll have quite the workload to redo all the layer code throughout the project to make it work with FGU instead of relying on Trenloes Enhanced Images extension for layers to begin with, don't want to add more on top of that if not necessary. *laughs*

So for the immediate future I'm focusing more on making sure that all the great features we have already are working as intended, that is maintaining and fixing any major script errors or frequent issues that might come up.

ps. I'm excited to see what possibilities FGU will bring that I could use to further improve this extension. :)

Moon Wizard
April 30th, 2019, 16:12
Styrmir,

Regarding your answer to Mazzar, Large and Gargantuan creature tokens are placed on grid vertex points, not in grid center. Not sure if that’s part of the issue.

Regards,
JPG

StoryWeaver
April 30th, 2019, 18:46
Cheers Moon Wizard, that would indeed be the cause if larger than medium sized tokens were in play.

While I was typing out my reply this morning I forgot to mention, that currently the flanking and checking for disadvantage as enemy in melee range only considers medium sized targets with a 5' reach currently. This is mentioned in the patch notes and would be relevant to both moguls77 and Mazzar's posts above.

This is something I am wanting to address in a future update, but it will require a sizeable slot of time available to do as there are a number of things to consider for that in the three dimensional plane. Having worked out how to make it work for medium sized actors with a 5' reach, lays the basis for that extension of functionality.

On a separate note, ranged attacks distance calculations will work for all the different size categories and uses separate logic from the flanking and disadvantage checking.

Ranged attack calculations use the Pythagoras theorem in the three dimensional plane to calculate the distances between the actor tokens grid edge to the target tokens grid edge, this considers different sizes of targets. This means the range will be accurate, but not using the simplified grid or variant rules for use from the DM guide. Thus taking advantage of playing on a VTT over simplifications necessary to give rough estimates for in-person play.

Furthermore in my humble opinion there are some improvements to my solution here over the in-built logic, at least when it comes to playing 5E on a square grid map. This may not be a factor for other gaming systems.

The default in-built targeting arrow and line drawing range logic, as far as my testing has showed, have some drawbacks that my approach overcomes. When tokens were side by side and not at least diagonal there would be no range returned, related to that what I'm assuming that the arrow line could not be drawn in those cases. This in turn would break range calculations in those cases so a different solution was needed.

The range would also not consider the difference in distance to the target tokens grid edge (5E) from different angles. Imagine drawing a circle with a radius, with its center in the center of an actors grid square. This circle would only touch the grid squares edges at the absolute middle of the horizontal and vertical. Leaving an unspecified distance from the circumference of that circle to the horizontal or vertical edge of the square grid in any case where the two tokens circles circumferences did not touch, that is if tokens are not absolutely horizontally or vertically placed towards each other. This problem would be exasperated as it would occur for both the actors and targets side.
My calculations considers this and also consider this for different sized targets. Finding the interception line location of both attackers and targets tokens last occupied square on the map (as per the 5e rules), and considering that difference to derive the actual range in game terms.

TLDR;

Long story short, it's all rather complicated and all these range functionalities use my own custom solution for 5E in the Token Helper extension. Ranged attack ranges return precise ranges while considering the 5E rules for grid occupation of targets of various sizes, thus returning precise actual ranges in game terms.

Flanking and checking for disadvantage as active enemy in range works by finding the tokens square grid location and comparing placements to each other, also considering a 5' reach in three dimensions. This works very differently due to the nature of the problem. Currently only for medium or smaller sized tokens (tokens that fit within 1 square).

@moguls77 and Mazzar
Both your cases will only work if the actor and target are Medium or smaller sized, that is they only occupy one grid square space. This is something that may get addressed in future updates.

Mazzar
April 30th, 2019, 18:59
Cheers Moon Wizard, that would indeed be the cause if larger than medium sized tokens were in play.

While I was typing out my reply this morning I forgot to mention, that currently the flanking and checking for disadvantage as enemy in melee range only considers medium sized targets with a 5' reach currently. This is mentioned in the patch notes and would be relevant to both moguls77 and Mazzar's posts above.

This is something I am wanting to address in a future update, but it will require a sizeable slot of time available to do as there are a number of things to consider for that in the three dimensional plane. Having worked out how to make it work for medium sized actors with a 5' reach, lays the basis for that extension of functionality.

On a separate note, ranged attacks distance calculations will work for all the different size categories and uses separate logic from the flanking and disadvantage checking.

Ranged attack calculations use the Pythagoras theorem in the three dimensional plane to calculate the distances between the actor tokens grid edge to the target tokens grid edge, this considers different sizes of targets. This means the range will be accurate, but not using the simplified grid or variant rules for use from the DM guide. Thus taking advantage of playing on a VTT over simplifications necessary to give rough estimates for in-person play.

Furthermore in my humble opinion there are some improvements to my solution here over the in-built logic, at least when it comes to playing 5E on a square grid map. This may not be a factor for other gaming systems.

The default in-built targeting arrow and line drawing range logic, as far as my testing has showed, have some drawbacks that my approach overcomes. When tokens were side by side and not at least diagonal there would be no range returned, related to that what I'm assuming that the arrow line could not be drawn in those cases. This in turn would break range calculations in those cases so a different solution was needed.

The range would also not consider the difference in distance to the target tokens grid edge (5E) from different angles. Imagine drawing a circle with a radius, with its center in the center of an actors grid square. This circle would only touch the grid squares edges at the absolute middle of the horizontal and vertical. Leaving an unspecified distance from the circumference of that circle to the horizontal or vertical edge of the square grid in any case where the two tokens circles circumferences did not touch, that is if tokens are not absolutely horizontally or vertically placed towards each other. This problem would be exasperated as it would occur for both the actors and targets side.
My calculations considers this and also consider this for different sized targets. Finding the interception line location of both attackers and targets tokens last occupied square on the map (as per the 5e rules), and considering that difference to derive the actual range in game terms.

TLDR;

Long story short, it's all rather complicated and all these range functionalities use my own custom solution for 5E. Ranged attack ranges return precise ranges while considering the 5E rules for grid occupation of targets of various sizes, thus returning precise actual ranges in game terms.

Flanking and checking for disadvantage as active enemy in range works by finding the tokens square grid location and comparing placements to each other, also considering a 5' reach in three dimensions. This works very differently due to the nature of the problem. Currently only for medium or smaller sized tokens (tokens that fit within 1 square).

@moguls77 and Mazzar
Both your cases will only work if the actor and target are Medium or smaller sized, that is they only occupy one grid square space. This is something that may get addressed in future updates.

Ok.. For the flanking not triggering, I figured out the issue. The NPC on the other side was incapacitated (and I did not realize that when I tested it). Sorry if I caused a bit of havoc. However, the script error does happen when the NPC's are Not Identified. So at least part of my issue is a real issue.

StoryWeaver
April 30th, 2019, 19:03
@Mazzar
Glad to hear you figured out what was going on in your case.
I'll have a look at the script error.

flynnkd
May 2nd, 2019, 11:04
Ignore, I missed the token helper ext click... der...
I have added this extension to my game (2 ext files and the graphics folder) but in the ext selection window for the campaign I notice the red radio button for this ext is slightly faded compared to the others. Removed all other ext and loaded but the startup does not list th ext as loading. Nothing Options either.
If there is an answer to this in the 50+ pages I am sorry, but thats too much looking for me.

eporrini
May 2nd, 2019, 14:47
First off, great extension. I have an error to report and a question. The error is that the longbow seems to throw errors. I have removed and re-added it and it may work a few times, but then seems to bug out. For now I have the player using a short bow and I have modified it to act and do damage like a longbow. My other question is around the blood splats on the character portraits. Is there a way to tone them down a bit? My players are complaining it very quickly obscures their token.

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2019, 15:51
First off, great extension. I have an error to report and a question. The error is that the longbow seems to throw errors. I have removed and re-added it and it may work a few times, but then seems to bug out.
Welcome to the FG forums.

Whenever reporting errors, please try to provide details of the errors - there's a "Copy to Clipboard" button at the top of the console window that shows the error, so it's easy to copy the full error details and paste them into the forums. This is invaluable information which helps the dev track down issues.

gmshilo
May 3rd, 2019, 21:29
hey ty so much for this extension this is rly improving my gaming session .
only 1 thing when i draging the red, yellow and green skulls from the CT if im not in the original size pic its do not work properly and sending the tokens to anther place.
if you can fix it that will be perfect ty so much

Henrique Oliveira Machado
May 7th, 2019, 17:00
Very nice.
But please, can you add a way that i can open the character/monster sheet by double clicking the token?
It's cool to show it on the combat tracker when you double click on it, but opening the character sheet is of great importance, and we do it all the time

scarymike23
May 7th, 2019, 17:03
Very nice.
But please, can you add a way that i can open the character/monster sheet by double clicking the token?
It's cool to show it on the combat tracker when you double click on it, but opening the character sheet is of great importance, and we do it all the time

Just hold shift and left click once on the token. That will open the char sheet.

May 7th, 2019, 17:07
Just hold shift and left click once on the token. That will open the char sheet.

thank you, gonna test it out.
Thats a huge extension. Forgive me.

Halfront
May 7th, 2019, 17:09
Very nice.

You can use SHIFT+LEFT CLICK to open a character sheet from the map. The double click function was removed for another function I believe.

May 7th, 2019, 21:02
ok. just one thought.
I realized everytime a flying creature moves, it adds just 0.5 feet every square when it moves upwards or backwards in a straight line.

It actually doesn't reflect the actual speed of the creature, because it isn't a diagonal move.
Like, if a creature is at 10feet of the target and flyes up 120 feet. the distance between them is calculated at 120.5 feet distance by the system (rounded up). which is not wrong.
But the creature should fly 120ft diagonally away in a straight line to make the most of its speed, and be more realistical, when flying 60ftup (in the example of a [fly 60ft] creature)

I am not the best at math, so i created in very riddiculous image in paint to try and illustrate what i'm trying to say.

Anyone can help me solve this? I'm guessing for every 5ft i move away, i have to add 5ft of heightness?

EDIT:
NEVER MIND: I FIGURED IT OUT IN EXCEL. lol

StoryWeaver
May 8th, 2019, 19:09
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement and donations, both are very appreciated.
Also a special thanks to all of you great member of the community that have been helping in answering and helping out with the questions that come up on this thread. :)

While I am strapped for time at the moment with work and other ongoing projects, I am taking note of all unresolved issues that aren't related to "user error/misunderstanding" that I can recreate and are not to fringe cases. Everything such gets logged into the projects TODO or wish list log.

It is important to make sure that when you do report something to try to make sure that it is an actual issue, not a simple mistake. So it's appreciated if you do some testing and reading up by yourself first. As each time I look into an issue it will easily take 20-30 minutes of getting things started and dedicated testing or more, to trace and test under various circumstances before I can actually determine if it's an error and then start to work on it.
Also that when you do report something do try to be as precise as possible of when and how it happens, under what circumstances, within what module, map, with an attached error log if possible. To make it possible for me to recreate and trace the actual issue as quickly and effectively as possible.
These two extensions working together are very complex and includes thousands of line of code, so you can imagine that there are a lot of moving parts to it. So anything you can do to help me pinpoint what's actually going on is helpful.

In response to a few queries from before:

1) I don't expect I'll be changing the blood splatter graphics anytime soon. But if you want you can change out the extension blood splatter graphics to something a bit less obtrusive. I know what you mean though, while most players really enjoy it, I've had players complain they can't see their tokens image when they take a lot of damage.
If you do some Photoshop magic yourself to tone down the graphics and are willing to share the results, I could set up a menu option to switch between the two sets in-game.

2) Flanking and ranged attacks don't currently work against targets that are set as "unidentified', this is as the code looks for the details by looking up database entries by name. I've added this to the bug list and I'll see if I can find a solution to this during the next iteration.

3) @eporrini I've not had any issues with longbows or other weapons or ranged attack spells since pushing out the latest versions of the extensions. Like Trenloe said, if the problem persists, please try to return a more detailed error log.

4) @gmshile Make sure you have a set grid and you're on the top layer when dragging the tokens onto it. Usually when I've had this happen it's due to being on the wrong layer or there's an issue with the grid. That said the extension isn't perfect nor would it be unless I worked on it full time, and even then lol. ;)

5) @Henrique There is no automation inbuilt for changing altitude, as there is no way of knowing the flight trajectory you as a GM or the players decide to take each time, so no way to include any calculations for that. So you'll need to update the altitude manually for changes on the vertical plane.

6) @nev218 Don't know exactly what's going on at your end. But scripts/manager_token.lua line 1009 has to do with setting condition tokens. Try clearing all conditions of that actor in the combat tracker, removing and re-adding them to the CT and map.

7) @Dax Doomslayer Sounds like your player is trying to make a ranged attack on something and for some reason there is an issue with either not returning the targets height value or that it is trying to use height when there is none. I'd need a lot more specifics of what is being done, with what entry, to be able to do something with this.
Is it manual or is it from the Players Handbook? What action is being performed with what item? What is the target, how it is set up, does it have an altitude? Is it in the CT and on the map, or one of the two only? Is the attack done onto the target on the map or CT? Does it get cleared up if you re-add the offending item onto the sheet and re-add the target onto the CT then onto the map? Does this happen only under specific circumstances or is it happening across the board for all their weapons? Against only one particular opponent on a particular map with a particular altitude setting? Or is it against all opponents at all altitude settings.

Without knowing the specifics. Try removing and re-adding whatever is causing the issue onto the sheet and removing and re-adding whatever is proccing the error on attack.

May 8th, 2019, 20:42
5) @Henrique There is no automation inbuilt for changing altitude, as there is no way of knowing the flight trajectory you as a GM or the players decide to take each time, so no way to include any calculations for that. So you'll need to update the altitude manually for changes on the vertical plane.

Thank you for your time.
No problem. i wasn't saying there's a bug, i was asking for help to see if my logic was right. There's no way a programmer could guess what direction i am flying. It's simply as gaining altitude for the same longitude the token flew.
I actually only noticed the actual trajectory a flying creature should take because your program calculated distance correctly.

That's the best extention i got so far. Congratulations!

StarDrifter
May 11th, 2019, 00:04
Is there any way to change the measurement of a Square pointer? For some reason this extension changes the measurement to the radius instead of all the way across.

Dreamtrancer
May 12th, 2019, 06:38
If anybody could help me I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm getting a script error message everytime a character kills an npc. It comes up (a as Script Error (string*scripts/manager_token2lua"] 1018 attempt to index local 'tokenMap' (a nil value)
I have both the 5e Combat Enhancer.ext and Core RPG-Token Helper.ext in my extensions and the Combat Enhancer in my host tokens.. . What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated

LordEntrails
May 12th, 2019, 17:06
If anybody could help me I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm getting a script error message everytime a character kills an npc. It comes up (a as Script Error (string*scripts/manager_token2lua"] 1018 attempt to index local 'tokenMap' (a nil value)
I have both the 5e Combat Enhancer.ext and Core RPG-Token Helper.ext in my extensions and the Combat Enhancer in my host tokens.. . What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated
First thing I will say it to make sure you have the latest version of both extensions. They do not update automatically when you update FG so you have to keep on top of it yourself whenever Stymir updates. Second thing is to see if you can reproduce this in a new campaign with no other extensions. Then please follow Stymir's request as outlined below so you can provide what he needs to troubleshoot.

It is important to make sure that when you do report something to try to make sure that it is an actual issue, not a simple mistake. So it's appreciated if you do some testing and reading up by yourself first. As each time I look into an issue it will easily take 20-30 minutes of getting things started and dedicated testing or more, to trace and test under various circumstances before I can actually determine if it's an error and then start to work on it.

Also that when you do report something do try to be as precise as possible of when and how it happens, under what circumstances, within what module, map, with an attached error log if possible. To make it possible for me to recreate and trace the actual issue as quickly and effectively as possible.

These two extensions working together are very complex and includes thousands of line of code, so you can imagine that there are a lot of moving parts to it. So anything you can do to help me pinpoint what's actually going on is helpful.

The Decorated Man
May 18th, 2019, 21:03
I'm having trouble with the skip CT actors that haven't rolled INT. I like to set up my map with the npc's down then roll them in as needed. I don't want to reveal them all. Now I have to advance through them. My settings now are Skip hidden actors (off) and skip ct actors that have'nt rolled INT (off) any other combo of settings only gets to my PC's turn.

Zacchaeus
May 18th, 2019, 21:18
I'm having trouble with the skip CT actors that haven't rolled INT. I like to set up my map with the npc's down then roll them in as needed. I don't want to reveal them all. Now I have to advance through them. My settings now are Skip hidden actors (off) and skip ct actors that have'nt rolled INT (off) any other combo of settings only gets to my PC's turn.

You are giving yourself a headache placing all of the NPCs on the map. Use encounters to preplace the NPCs where you want them and just activate the encounter when the PCs enter the area or room that the encounter happens. That way you won't have too many NPCs on the CT and wont have to worry about which NPCs are active or not. More information on encounters here. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters

ArmandVestibule
May 21st, 2019, 01:33
Hey there. I believe I found an incompatibility with the 5E - Add-on - Sanity & Honor (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45467-5E-Add-on-Sanity-amp-Honor) extension.

When the referenced extension is loaded, placing a token with an effect on it yields the following error:
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token2.lua"]:1214: attempt to index field 'condcomps_extra' (a nil value)

It also occurs when the combat tracker is loaded when an active PC has any effect on them.

Disabling the referenced extension resumed normal operations for your extension.

Great work on this extension. Thanks!

StoryWeaver
May 21st, 2019, 19:45
Token Helper v1.1.6 Released.

* Bugfix: Flanking and ranged attacks didn't work if the target was 'Unidentified" / not named. This is because the DB looked up search by name. Now searching for CT entry nodepath. [scripts/token_helper.lua: getTokenMap, getActorByGrid, getActorIndexInTokenMap | scripts/5e_flanking.lua: isFlanking | scripts/ranged_attacks.lua: isEnemyInMeleeRange5e]

StoryWeaver
May 21st, 2019, 19:53
@ArmandVestibule
Thank you. I'm sorry but my primary focus is that the extension works without fail by itself, I am unable to dedicate the time to make sure it doesn't conflict with other extensions. Not to mention that by trying to do so might cause it to conflict with other extensions instead or break something internally. My extension contains thousands of lines of code and a wast amount of moving parts.

ArmandVestibule
May 21st, 2019, 20:31
@ArmandVestibule
Thank you. I'm sorry but my primary focus is that the extension works without fail by itself, I am unable to dedicate the time to make sure it doesn't conflict with other extensions. Not to mention that by trying to do so might cause it to conflict with other extensions instead or break something internally. My extension contains thousands of lines of code and a wast amount of moving parts.

Absolutely fair as far as I'm concerned!

I would be remiss if I didn't report in case someone else encounters the same problem.

Thanks again!

StoryWeaver
May 21st, 2019, 20:55
Enjoy the extension. :)

Mazzar
May 21st, 2019, 21:05
Hi @Styrmir. Thanks for fixing the unidentified NPC issue (for flanking). It is working nicely. Just wanted to mention that the Token Helper still says 1.1.5 rather than 1.1.6 on the Chat Window when first loading the extension.

StoryWeaver
May 21st, 2019, 22:09
Took a couple of hours of updating, rewriting and changing the code across various places and files. What takes the longest really is having to reboot FG each time I make any changes to test it out, even if it's only to add a debug message to trace what's going on, got there in the end though *laughs*.

Ups, forgot to update that. Thanks for letting me know, I'll update it and upload a version with the fixed announcement text. :)

StoryWeaver
May 21st, 2019, 22:15
Updated and uploaded.

Moon Wizard
May 21st, 2019, 23:38
Stormiest,

Are you using the /reload command; or exiting FG?

JPG

Trenloe
May 21st, 2019, 23:41
And how many tokens do you have in your /tokens directory? Keeping these to a minimum will help reload times.

caocbox
May 22nd, 2019, 00:10
Does CE remove spell slots tracker for NPCs? Before installing this extension I was able to. Anyone else?

Also, PCs and NPCs that succeed on saving throws wont take auto half damage. The way I do it: drag cast to token and then drag dmg. I’m not sure if FG does that automatically. I kinda remember it does.

StoryWeaver
May 22nd, 2019, 00:42
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I am indeed using the /reload command, additionally I do all my testing in a development campaign with minimum needed content needed to test things out. I have about 40-60 custom tokens all in all that are used in various games I run, but that's it as I don't load any of my token modules I've created in the development campaign.

I'll have a second look to see if I can strip anything more out. Maybe backup the currently non-used tokens somewhere else for now, and create duplicates of a few monsters for testing, then unload the monster compendium, things like that.

I don't have a SSD hard-drive and the PC I'm using, though descent, is hardly a powerhouse these days. So I'm usually looking at 2-4 minutes on each reload for the development campaign.
And a bit longer, 3-5 minutes for live games, but I do create a very media rich experience for my players so lots to load.

StoryWeaver
May 22nd, 2019, 00:46
@caocbox
Don't think it should as far as I recall, I can add it to the todo list to look into.

Saving throws should show up as an X or a V check on the tokens. Half damage should be done automatically on success, did so in my last game at least and I've not changed anything that should effect that.
Drag the save onto the target, in CT or onto token on map. The interface will give you a X or V as I said above if the token is on the map. Then drop damage onto the target, if the save succeeded the damage should be halved.

caocbox
May 23rd, 2019, 06:52
Don't think it should as far as I recall, I can add it to the todo list to look into.

@Styrmir
So to test it, I created a fresh campaign and added the NPC Archmage, it had all spell slots a 18th lvl caster has in the combat tracker. I returned to the main menu, loaded just the token and CE extensions and then the slots were gone. Tried different NPCs and the issue persisted.

Saving throws should show up as an X or a V check on the tokens. Half damage should be done automatically on success, did so in my last game at least and I've not changed anything that should effect that.
Drag the save onto the target, in CT or onto token on map. The interface will give you a X or V as I said above if the token is on the map. Then drop damage onto the target, if the save succeeded the damage should be halved.

My apologies, it does work the way you said for single targets. My issue was related to multiple targets. If I manually roll the save on each token, roll the damage on the chat, drag the damage result on top of each token, the software doesn't keep the save results and does full damage to all tokens (vanilla and with the CE extension). I thought that having the X or the V would save the fail or success state. Doing this process in any order wont work. If I use the target system on the tokens it works so no big deal.

Thanks for the reply!

sammyp03
May 23rd, 2019, 07:46
Awesome extension! Ran into a small problem however,

When a creature makes a save and the icon appears on them like its supposed to., I can't seem to get rid of it. I've pressed the D20 at the top of the map and nothing happens. Any suggestions?

May 23rd, 2019, 14:32
Hello Everyone

I have recently added the Combat Enhancer and its extension to my Tables and I have noticed that if a Player or NPC makes a save or fails the X and Check Mark stays on there token even after the round or the effect has passed is there a way or a configuration to have it leave the token after the effect has been decided.?

[MODERATOR - moved this post to the thread specific to this extension. If you have questions regarding an individual extension, please post in that extension's thread. Thanks.]

StoryWeaver
May 24th, 2019, 14:47
@caocbox
1) The spell slots are indeed missing, thank you for pointing it out as I hadn't noticed. I'll look into that for a future patch.

2) I've just tested the save versus multiple targets. It works, but it will only hold saves for the next upcoming roll.
So when you have multiple targets, instead of saving one after the other, then dropping damage on them one then the next.

What you should do is select all your targets, then roll one save over the line (click save prompts on NPC or character sheet), then immediately after roll the damage dice.

Here is a screenshot of my test:

If you want separate dice rolls for damage, you'll have to do a save, then damage for each individual foe. That's due to the way FG works, as far as I've seen it does not roll individual damage for each target selected, which would be nice if it did mind you. :)

@sammyp03
Works for me, try again with only the Combat Enhancer and Token Helper extensions activated. Try a new map and some new opponents, make sure you're on the top layer.

@benedict
That's the way it's currently coded, it's a manual removal feature only. I'll have to consider it if I'll make it automatic, if that could have any complications or ramifications. Then how feasible it would be to code. I'll add it onto the look into list though as anything that helps streamline the gameplay is worth looking into.

sammyp03
May 24th, 2019, 22:22
@sammyp03
Works for me, try again with only the Combat Enhancer and Token Helper extensions activated. Try a new map and some new opponents, make sure you're on the top layer.

I dont believe I have any other extensions active but will go back and try it. Thanks

ColinBuckler
May 25th, 2019, 22:43
One of my players has started receiving the same error as Dax Doomslayer (see #504 in this thread):

Script Error: [string "scripts/token_helper.lua"]:271: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'height' (a nil value)

The error occurs when a ranged attack is made whilst standing next to an enemy. Earlier on the character had adjusted height both +'ve and -'ve. All other function appears to be working correctly such as flanking/range/blood splatter/..etc

I am running the latest version of the extension.

StoryWeaver
May 26th, 2019, 15:39
@ColinBuckler
Thanks, I'll test out the scenario you describe, to see if I can recreate it.

HuseyinCinar
May 26th, 2019, 16:20
Are the icons for successful or failed saving throws visible to all, or just the DM? Is it possible to add an option to make it hidden from the players?

notrealdan
May 27th, 2019, 23:11
I get the following error under very specific circumstances:
Script Error: [string "scripts/ranged_attacks.lua"]:420: bad argument #1 to 'find' (string expected, got nil)

This happens on a fresh campaign with only this extension loaded (latest versions of this extension's files as of right now, 1.5.4 and 1.1.6, and FG 3.3.7).

This error comes up when a goblin makes a shortbow attack role dropped directly onto a player token on the map or when double-clicking the attack with the player targeted. It doesn't seem to happen (at least not reliably) when the attack is drag & dropped onto the player in the character tracker. EDIT: I just tested dragging onto the CT again and it does trigger this error reliably, which makes more sense...

The funny thing is, I've only seen it so far with the goblin NPC from the Lost Mine of Phandelver module. The goblin from the Monster Manual is slightly different and does not trigger the error. Comparing the two goblins, the range text for the two shortbow attacks is different:

Goblin 1 there is from the MM, Goblin 2 is from LMoP. I'll report this difference in the two goblins to the 5e bugs thread also, but that goblin seems to work fine without this extension. At least no errors come up. There could easily be other NPCs with similar text (the hobgoblin in LMoP also has a similar difference). I'm not sure if you can (or should) account for those in your extensions, but I wanted to report this anyways in case others have seen this.

StoryWeaver
May 28th, 2019, 01:51
@huseyincinar
They are visible for all. While it might be possible, it could prove complicated and I'm not sure that's something that would be widely used. Also there are already a lot of different menu switches and I'm not wanting to make things to cluttered. Would also like to hold off on most changes until I get my hands on FGU to see if any of these things are handled differently there.

@notrealdan
Thank you for the detailed report. The parsing code breaks due to the extra 'ft.' in front of the '/' in the range text. I'll add this to the bug list for consideration to see if it can be easily fixed without breaking the standard monster manual formats.

notrealdan
May 28th, 2019, 01:58
@notrealdan
Thank you for the detailed report. The parsing code breaks due to the extra 'ft.' in front of the '/' in the range text. I'll add this to the bug list for consideration to see if it can be easily fixed.

Thanks! I also reported it in the 5e bugs thread here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49201-5e-Bug-Reports-(Part-5)&p=439362&viewfull=1#post439362). I'm not sure if it counts as a bug since I'm not sure if there's an established syntax standard for the range text. Still, if it's easy for your code to adapt to things like this, might be worth doing.

StoryWeaver
June 1st, 2019, 02:11
@MoonWizard and Trenloe

By stripping out a bunch of tokens and modules, I've managed to get my FG development campaign to load in under a minute, greatly improved! Thanks for the suggestions. :)

StoryWeaver
June 1st, 2019, 02:26
New releases!

Combat Enhancer
v1.5.5 (June 1st, 2019) (patch)
* Spell slots missing for NPC entries in CT for spell casters (not innate spellcasters). Added spellslots to CT for casters. [ct/scripts/ct_entry.lua: setActiveVisible]

TokenHelper
v1.1.7 (June 1st, 2019)
* In certain modules the parsing code broke due to an extra 'ft.' in front of the '/' in the range text. Exception added. [scripts/ranged_attacks.lua: getWeaponRanges5e]

Trenloe
June 1st, 2019, 02:32
@MoonWizard and Trenloe

By stripping out a bunch of tokens and modules, I've managed to get my FG development campaign to load in under a minute, greatly improved! Thanks for the suggestions. :)
Great! Good to hear. :)

caocbox
June 1st, 2019, 04:44
New releases!

Combat Enhancer
* Spell slots missing for NPC entries in CT for spell casters (not innate spellcasters). Added spellslots to CT for casters. [ct/scripts/ct_entry.lua: setActiveVisible]

TokenHelper
v1.1.7 (June 1st, 2019)
* In certain modules the parsing code broke due to an extra 'ft.' in front of the '/' in the range text. Exception added. [scripts/ranged_attacks.lua: getWeaponRanges5e]

@Styrmir <3

I don't know if it's a known issue but I found that when targeting tokens larger than medium size distances are calculated incorrectly, as seen below:

StoryWeaver
June 1st, 2019, 10:55
@caocbox
Those range arrow calculations are a remain of the original extension the Combat Enhancer is built on. I have made some attempts at remedying this, but the core FG function it relies on does not update with the change of altitude changes on tokens larger than medium. There have been some speculations why this might be, but a solution hasn't been found so far.

You will find however, that when you actually make ranged attacks. A more accurate, system specific, range is calculated regardless of what those range arrows say that includes altitude for any size creature. That functionality uses entirely new range functions from the Token Helper extension.

ps. Again, I have during testing so far managed to use these improved functions with the arrows you see, so you get the exact same distance for both. But only for medium or smaller creatures as far as them updating for altitude changes as the function that draws the actual arrows doesn't run when a third party addition such as altitude is added or updated for large+ sized creatures.
Also in cases where tokens are placed horizontally or vertically next to each other, there is no arrow drawn with the default FG function (as there is no space to draw an arrow), so that would return an error relying on that, as it would give a null value. Hence another reason I wrote new range calculation functions that would always run.

So the way I use it, I use the range arrows sometimes as a general guide to approximate distance (the two will be fairly similar for medium and smaller creatures, but the discrepancy will be greater for larger creatures as the FG function doesn't calculate ranges from the edges of the occupied spaces of the tokens, where as mine does). Then rely on the new functions from the Token Helper for when doing the actual attack.

RobboNJ69
June 2nd, 2019, 22:57
@Styrmir
Looks like you've been doing great work on the combat extension... Any chance you could be convinced to give up playing 5e entirely and start focusing your work on PFRPG?
...didn't think so.
Or, how about taking on a paid project to build out a version for Pathfinder? I started a thread about this idea. I figured it would be worth mentioning it to you.

Thanks either way for your time on the extension!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49510-Kickstarter-for-PFRPG-version-of-5e-Combat-Enhancer&p=440087&highlight=

arcanjl
June 3rd, 2019, 01:26
I can't seem to load the ext. Is there something I have to do? As you can see, I can click on it, but it is ginda dim, and when I start it, it never loads

damned
June 3rd, 2019, 01:37
I can't seem to load the ext. Is there something I have to do? As you can see, I can click on it, but it is ginda dim, and when I start it, it never loads

Please read the instruction posts on page 1.

arcanjl
June 3rd, 2019, 01:54
I thought I did, obviously not good enough. ty

arcanjl
June 3rd, 2019, 15:04
"The DM and players can both drag and drop conditions onto themselves (token or in CT). If the condition already exists on the target when dropped, it is removed instead."
Is there a way to turn this off? I have programmed effects for my players so they stack when clicked more than once. If not, I will have to program an effect for each version of the stack.

astromath
June 3rd, 2019, 17:21
Will this be compatible with FG Unity that will be coming out later this year?

Moon Wizard
June 3rd, 2019, 18:31
No. The entire image API is being replaced, so this extension will definitely not work on FGU as is. It will need to be adapted to work on FGU, once FGU is available.

Regards,
JPG

StoryWeaver
June 4th, 2019, 19:18
While nothing is finalized yet, here are some thoughts I have on the general subject of this extension and future work in similar directions.

5E Combat Enhancer Classic

Besides the extension having just about everything you'd want or need at this point, without overly bloating it. This is one of the reasons I've been somewhat reluctant to put to much additional work into the extension besides cleaning up the odd bug that prop up under ever more specific circumstances.

What I expect I'll do is to rename this extension to 5e Combat Enhancer Classic, or something similar, and leave it as is, still available in its current form for FG Classic users to download and use.

5E Combat Enhancer (Unity)

As a backer, when FGU comes out I'll be moving onto that for all of my FG roleplaying.

Due to restrictions to what myself and SmiteWorks would be able to do with my contributions under the GPL I expect I'd be looking into evaluating rewriting an entirely new streamlined version of a similar extension. And taking some of my own code contributions made so far and releasing them in the new extension under private ownership. While of course the current versions released so far (5E Combat Enhancer Classic) and their content would remain under a GPL.

The Token Enhancer API extension is already under private ownership and is one of the steps in this direction.

It'll also be exciting to see what new possibilities FGU will present to this end.

ps. So the sooner I am able to get access to FGU and any future tools the better with this in mind *wink wink*. :)

Trenloe
June 4th, 2019, 19:27
Good idea moving forwards with a non GPL code base.

Just in case there's any confusion - parts of the original AK extension should not be considered covered by the GPL, such as the layers extension code. I think Ken may have not taken the developer wishes into account by releasing the whole extension under the GPL. (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.en.html#CombinePublicDomainWithGPL) Anyway, that's all in the past. Not that you'll probably need the layer code once FGU comes out...

SailorLovins
June 7th, 2019, 16:08
[MODERATOR: Moved this post to the Combat Enhancer extension thread. The best place to ask questions and have discussions about an extension is in the thread of that extension.]

I absolutely love this extention and am almost fully adapted to its general uses, most of which seem automatic. Ive read through the 50+ pages of forum posts but I still feel like I may not fully underatand the extension and therefore I or my ayers arent maximizing the enhancers potential. Would anyone be kind to put out a features list of the current version in laymens terms or link a source to a similar previously published explanation / demonstration?

StoryWeaver
June 8th, 2019, 14:12
The post for the AK extension this one has built on has long been deleted by the author. It did use to have some images explaining in some detail much of what it did, unfortunately I don't have a download of those posts.

This extension however has added so many new things beyond that, and improvements and bug fixes of the AK extension, that it is very much it's own thing by now.
The first post explains all of the main functions, shortcuts and menu items in a few words. This gets updated with any major changes. You can also look over the changelog on GitHub if you want all the nitty gritties.
The rest is something that happens automatically in the background and you see the effect on your screen.

If anyone wants to, they're welcome to put together a more comprehensive text. However to map out all the details would likely take hours of organizing, editing, image (screenshot) gathering, photo-shopping, and writing up to a professional level. This would then need to be updated with changes, so another timesink on top of actual development. That's why, as this is something I do in my spare time, I came to the conclusion that the most time efficient way to deliver the most value in the little time I have, would be a summary list on the first post. As is the case.

But if anyone wants to feel free to put something more extensive together.

When I look into Combat Enhancer Unity, I'll be more likely to put together a more comprehensive write up, as that project will be started from scratch with only my own code in it. But it will likely be a more streamlined extension, that focuses on the most important aspects only. Time will tell.

KeoughDarklance
June 8th, 2019, 16:10
Nvm figured it out.

The Decorated Man
June 17th, 2019, 21:36
I get an error when my players or I use the light crossbow attack function. The damage dice roll fine. my current work around is have them roll the attack of another weapon.
Thanks for any help on this issue.

Trenloe
June 17th, 2019, 21:39
I get an error when my players or I use the light crossbow attack function. The damage dice roll fine. my current work around is have them roll the attack of another weapon.
Thanks for any help on this issue.
If you get an error, please provide exact details of the error - click the "copy" button in the error console and paste the contents here. It's very hard to track down the cause of an error without knowing what the actual error is!

StoryWeaver
June 19th, 2019, 04:17
It's like Trenloe said, I can't really do much with this without specifics, the more detail the better of the circumstances this happens, error log output etc.

There were errors like this before, but they have since been fixed, so make sure you actually have the latest versions of both extensions installed.

lokisweapon
June 24th, 2019, 21:32
I may just be missing something in the how to install guide, but there's a bunch of folders I'm not using (Campaign, Common, CT, Graphics, Scripts, Utility) and I don't know where to put them. I must need them, because none of the new map tools for adjusting layers show up. Can someone help me out?

Trenloe
June 24th, 2019, 21:38
I may just be missing something in the how to install guide, but there's a bunch of folders I'm not using (Campaign, Common, CT, Graphics, Scripts, Utility) and I don't know where to put them. I must need them, because none of the new map tools for adjusting layers show up. Can someone help me out?
Sounds like you haven't downloaded the .ext files required from the "INSTALL VERSIONS" folder in Git? See the "Install / Github" section in post #1.

Halfront
June 24th, 2019, 22:17

Exactly what Trenloe stated. I also made a quick JPEG you can look at they may help:

StoryWeaver
June 25th, 2019, 03:20
@Halfront

I might add that image to the uploaded extension and install guide if it's alright with you Halfront, an easy visual guide. :)

Halfront
June 25th, 2019, 04:26
@Halfront

I might add that image to the uploaded extension and install guide if it's alright with you Halfront, an easy visual guide. :)

I would be honored!

StoryWeaver
June 26th, 2019, 18:23
A special thank you to those of you who have contributed towards the project on PayPal, you know who you are. It doesn't go unnoticed and is appreciated, thank you! :)

StoryWeaver
June 26th, 2019, 18:25
@Halfront
Thank you for putting the screenshot and text together, I've added it to the first post to help guide new users.

June 29th, 2019, 08:35
When i remove teh Fail or success Marker the Token get pushed to another layer I assumed that there was a conflict with another ext. i was using but that does not seem to be the case. When i Remove Token helper the Problem ceased but the display for sucess or fail did not display eiether. i know Token help works with Combat Enhancer ext. So i am looking for some help to fix this problem

StoryWeaver
June 29th, 2019, 16:42
@benedict
That does seem odd. I have never seen this happen and I've ran multiple games using my extension for months now.

Are there any error messages in the error log (type /console then press enter in chat)?
Is it a specific token only or does it happen for all tokens? NPC or Player? Does it always happen?

Start by making sure you have the newest versions of the extensions, then create a brand new campaign and only load those two extensions. Add an image (not from a module), apply grid, add a couple of NPCs where at least on has an ability that calls for a save. Use that ability to get the save checkmark up. Remove the checkmark with the clear saves button.

Does the problem still occur?

If not then it's something specific with the scenario you're saving in. It could be the map you use, the grid, the module, the NPC's, the abilities or PC's involved. I short I need enough information for a way to replicate the problem myself in order to test it out and find the root of the issue.

Melborne
July 2nd, 2019, 20:21
Wanted to try this out, but I get a ton of errors. Here are a few.

Runtime Notice: s'manager_effect_adnd.lua' | s'isValidCheckEffect' | s'bResult' | bTRUE
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token_DeathIndicator.lua"]:37: attempt to call field 'getHealthInfo' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token2.lua"]:1214: attempt to index field 'condcomps_extra' (a nil value)

I couldn't find these lua scripts, fresh download (today). Any ideas?

LordEntrails
July 2nd, 2019, 21:09
Wanted to try this out, but I get a ton of errors. Here are a few.

Runtime Notice: s'manager_effect_adnd.lua' | s'isValidCheckEffect' | s'bResult' | bTRUE
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token_DeathIndicator.lua"]:37: attempt to call field 'getHealthInfo' (a nil value)

I couldn't find these lua scripts, fresh download (today). Any ideas?
Are you using ANY other extensions? Do you have both extensions for this both installed? Is FG updated to the latest build? Are you in the Live or Test channel, you should be in Live.
Does it duplicate in a brand new campaign?

Please post a screen shot of your chat window just after starting the campaign.

Melborne
July 2nd, 2019, 21:17
Doesn't duplicate in a brand new campaign.

Other extensions yes. Yes both. updated, ultimate. Live.

Kelrugem
July 2nd, 2019, 21:24
Then turn all other extensions off and test if you still get these errors :) If not, then your errors are due to incompatibilities with other extensions (this extension is a very big one, so probably indeed an incompatibility)

Ken L
July 3rd, 2019, 15:51
Hey @Styrmir , interesting stuff you've done here.

I got wind that someone was forking/modding the original AK and that's cool and all, but recently I heard there's talk about trying to 'dodge' the GPL. Now I haven't read this monstrous topic, but I did look about 6 or so pages to see what all this hubaloo was all about.

I see you've done a bunch of mods atop AK, but there was specific speech about how it's "wholly something different" when trying to wiggle off the license. I did a quick code diff, and excluding the FG base CoreRPG + 5e code as well as the Layers code from Zeus (+additions from tren), it's still >70% my GPL base, and that amounts to several thousand lines of logic excluding comments and notes.

I'm merely here asking you to respect the GPL. I see that you're prepping to port to unity, and that's fine and all. But if you want to move to private code, you'll have to do so without 'refactor-copying' parts of AK, or referencing it while writing private code. Speaking of headers, I see that you stripped all the file headers in favor of a global license. I specifically left that there since I knew there was a good chunk of CoreRPG code that is SmiteWorks that is not covered by GPL, and I did so per file as there are a number of files that are full GPL with no smiteworks influence aside invoking API function calls. Blanket licensing it as mixed will cause issues as if needed, I still have my git history logs too if I need to make a non-compliance argument. Of coarse, if you keep it all GPL, then you don't need to worry about compliance.

Oh, and not to you specifically Styrmir, but there was some chatter about "how I don't know know what GPL is". Er... I thought I went over this in that large topic prior, but people are free to repost GPL code. Editing someones post to re-establish it is something wholly different, but if someone wants to repost it in a new topic, it's perfectly fine. I merely want it to be crystal clear that I do not support it on FG personally, but by GPL, it can still be posted. It was never withdrawn from GPL, and also, given how GPL works, you can only make a future version non-GPL (if you're the original author), but older versions that were GPL, still are GPL forever.

If you have specific concerns, you can contact me via email or on the fvtt discord channel as I don't keep tabs on FG aside from what I hear from others.

Melborne
July 3rd, 2019, 16:11
Then turn all other extensions off and test if you still get these errors :) If not, then your errors are due to incompatibilities with other extensions (this extension is a very big one, so probably indeed an incompatibility)

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/updated_imagewindow.lua"]:264: setGridOffset: Grid size is zero

I still get some random errors here and there; Adding grid to the map, even with zero extensions turned on with this.

My players are receiving; Rule Set Error; Radial; Could not find menu icon, close program.

Edit: Thanks for your help though, as neat as this is; I'll look at it in a few years for another campaign, if it's still around.

Thirsterhall
July 3rd, 2019, 17:37
Something I noticed last game session is players where getting disadvantage on ranged attacks when the dead/unconscious enemy was within 5ft of them. If I removed the unconscious enemy from the combat tracker or moved them further away they attacked normally.

StoryWeaver
July 4th, 2019, 00:19
@Ken L
Hi Ken, thanks for chiming in!

Not to worry, I wouldn't be using any of your code in my Unity extension. That is if I even have the free time to write it when we get there. That is not of interest to myself nor to my purposes, it'll all be my own and SW code.

As for "I see you've done a bunch of mods atop AK, but there was specific speech about how it's "wholly something different" when trying to wiggle off the license".
I think you might be jumping the gun a little there. It has nothing to do with trying to wiggle off a license, I have no interest in doing so, this extension can perfectly live on as a GPL as far as I'm concerned. It is more or less in its final form anyways, I believe. Much like yourself, I shared my work for the love of the community and the game, and I don't see that changing.

While there is a lot of underlying code written by yourself on top of SW code, which was a lot of great work mind you. As I imagine you know, it is the case with many software projects that large code portions are written faster at the start, then incrementally smaller changes are made, but needing to fit with already written code. Thus the complexity increases and number of lines may be fewer but the amount work and of time needed to do those changes may be incrementally greater. So pure percentile of code is maybe not the only or best way to compare contributions. Thus there has been substantial work that has gone into modifying code with changes and improvements and adding new things and options, hence the "wholly something different" casual phrasing. Not to mention the writing of an external extension on top of that.

Good point on separation of the license texts between the files, I hadn't thought of that. As most files are a mix of private license SW code and GPL code I figured it'd be easier simply to bring it all together under a global license text for simplicities sake. But if people have any interest in doing so or want to, the original AK extension is also uploaded and available on the GitHub page for the extension. Everyone is free to look through that if they'd like and look at the license specifics for the code files there.
Then it's worth noting, which I only found out later in a forum post by Trenloe here, that Trenloe's/Dr Zeuss Layers Code, was never intended to be GPL either.

In any case, thank you for your original contribution of the Advanced Kombat extension. If I hadn't found it a great extension to the extent it went when I discovered it, I would not have put all this work into keeping it alive and improving upon it.

StoryWeaver
July 4th, 2019, 00:24
@Melborne
Don't know what to tell you, I have no errors while using the extensions, and I believe most people are able to run it similarly. But if it's not working out for you that's no problem. It's simply an extension in the end, happy adventures. :)

@Thristenhall
Sounds like an oversight, I'll add it to the bug list and look at it to be fixed in a future iteration.

pablomaz
July 5th, 2019, 14:39
Hey, Styrmir, it's only getting better, thank you!

The last patch (1.5.5) implemented something like "spells slots on CT"? I couldn't see the difference. I'm not sure if I should use the script info to do something...Man, I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to coding.lol

Spell slots missing for NPC entries in CT for spell casters (not innate spellcasters). Added spellslots to CT for casters. [ct/scripts/ct_entry.lua: setActiveVisible]

StoryWeaver
July 5th, 2019, 15:30
@pablomaz
Thank you. :)

If NPCs have spell slots on their entry (so not innate spells), a row of available spells slots to that NPC will now show up just over the spell list in the CT when you select them.
You can edit the number of available spells to that NPC directly in the CT as they cast spells. It's a way to keep track of how many spells they have left.

JLBatman
July 6th, 2019, 14:19
Hey Styrmir, did the ability to ping get changed in the last few months?
I had lost track of this thread (not on purpose) and had to find it again several days ago, at which point I realized you were able to take donations finally and then I thought - oh, I'm a bunch of versions behind! So i got updated and in my game last night, I was unable to ping anything. However, I don't see it in the last several pages of notes, so I might be missing it, or something was goofed up on my instance.
Any advice?

Danke,
CS

StoryWeaver
July 6th, 2019, 14:47
@JLBatman
Try the following from the front page, I update that for major functions as need be:

- Ctrl + Shift + left click on map, zooms and relocates the players view to that of the DM in their clients if they have that map/image open.

I moved it to a key combination as I hardly ever used it myself and I was working on an extension to provide dynamic shadows where I needed the use of Shift + left click. That extension, while it was showing promise, is now abandoned due to technical limitations of Classic and as Unity is just around the corner.

JLBatman
July 6th, 2019, 15:20
So the ping icon is actually gone, then? Cause I need to revert versions if that is what it takes to have that back. That's hands down literally THE most important part of the mod for me. I would literally trade everything else for it.

StoryWeaver
July 6th, 2019, 18:41
@JLBatman
I can honestly say that, that surprises me.

Be that as it may, based on your reply I thought that a bug might have snuck it's way in. So I spent some time launching up two clients, server/client, to test things.
After some testing I can assuredly confirm that the complete functionality is still there, with icon, moving of players views and changing of zoom.
So let me reiterate what I said above:

- Ctrl + Shift + left click on map, zooms and relocates the players view to that of the DM in their clients if they have that map/image open.

HuseyinCinar
July 6th, 2019, 19:13
So the ping icon is actually gone, then? Cause I need to revert versions if that is what it takes to have that back. That's hands down literally THE most important part of the mod for me. I would literally trade everything else for it.

Oh is the icon gone? Nooooooo

JLBatman
July 6th, 2019, 19:24
I'm not sure if he is saying it is gone or not. I realize there is the center map feature - I just never use it as it confused my players to have their map jerk around all while simultaneously not actually showing them what I was trying to show them. And when you spam it 4 or 5 times, it doesn't make it easier to understand what is going on.

I.e. You notice rocks "here, here, here and here" and you can do it in literally less than a second and a half with the ping. Jerking the map around does not give that sense to the players at all. It just helps you focus on a single larger area.

Anyway, I don't see the ping icon appearing any more in the latest, but again - maybe something is wrong with my setup now? I don't know if the ability to use it is actually gone or not, though. If it is, I've got to go back to the last version in which that feature was still present. Nothing else really matters compared to that.

StoryWeaver
July 6th, 2019, 19:45
I always draw a line when pointing something out on the map, so never used the icon, so wouldn't even have noticed if it was accidentally disabled with some code changes. Thought you meant the moving players to location feature.
I can dig through the code at some point to look to see, but all these things take time and don't happen by themselves.
Until then if that is the only feature that you really use, I'd suggest using an earlier version until then.

Another option could be for you to look at the code and create an extension that does just that alone. The code is GPL and will remain so, so that would be fine.

JLBatman
July 6th, 2019, 19:53
OK, that helps - so it got lost in the mix somewhere along the way. It happens.

Bad thing is - the problem is present all over the last couple/three months of updates, or so it seems. I've not done very combination in the last 3 months of combat enhancer + token helper. I found one combination that gave the icon back, but it was the size of a truck, so that won't work. i do know it was working in January, but now I can't go back to that because I just grabbed the last things and overwrote what I had.

There a way to get older than the 3 months?

StoryWeaver
July 7th, 2019, 00:08
New releases!

Combat Enhancer v1.5.6 released.
v1.5.6 (July 6th, 2019) (patch)
* Shift + Left-Mouse Click on image, now adds a ping icon on the map, without moving the players views and zoom level. [scripts/manager_ping.lua: doPing, updatePingDataNode]
* Added option for a +1 modifier for flanking. [scripts/5e_combat_enhancer.lua: registerMenuItems | scripts/manager_action_attack.lua: modAttack]

Token Helper v1.1.8 released.
v1.1.8 (July 6th, 2019)
* Bugfix: Ranged attacks within melee range now consider conditions properly. Considers the following conditions: Incapacitated, Paralyzed, Petrified, Restrained, Stunned, Unconscious [scripts/tokenHelper: isEnemyInMeleeRange5e, isActorDisabled5e]
* Bugfix: Flanking code had to be changed to work with the above. [scripts/5e_flanking.lua: isFlanking]

JLBatman
July 7th, 2019, 01:05
Absolutely amazing that you turned around and fixed something that you didn't even personally care about. You deserved a fine rootbeer or something of that caliber, so I hope the tip gets you one.

I'll test this out later. Is there any trick to enabling it or anything, or is it just something that will work when the two things are enabled together?

StoryWeaver
July 7th, 2019, 01:48
You didn't have to JLBatman, but it's still much appreciated, I'll go buy a nice cold drink for your tip, something much needed during these summer months! :)

It should work right out of the box as soon as you've downloaded the updated versions of the extensions and activated them for your campaign.

Shift+Left click on the map should show the ping token icon.
Shift+Ctrl+Left click does that and moves the map and zoom as well as before.

HuseyinCinar
July 7th, 2019, 07:27
Shift+Left click on the map should show the ping token icon.
Shift+Ctrl+Left click does that and moves the map and zoom as well as before.

You're awesome! Thanks

MrDDT
July 8th, 2019, 19:30

I'm having script errors often. I notice its when people are dying and standing on top of blood or something.
I also notice there are issues when putting in encounters they will show up as unhidden even when they are shown hidden in the combat tracker. Once I click the unhidden and rehide them, they will be removed from sight of the players but by then they already seen where they were and stuff.

Below is a screen shot of the script error and how I caused it.

LordEntrails
July 8th, 2019, 23:55
I'm having script errors often. I notice its when people are dying and standing on top of blood or something.
I also notice there are issues when putting in encounters they will show up as unhidden even when they are shown hidden in the combat tracker. Once I click the unhidden and rehide them, they will be removed from sight of the players but by then they already seen where they were and stuff.

Below is a screen shot of the script error and how I caused it.
What other extensions are you running? Do you have both extensions from this thread installed, updated, and loaded?

MrDDT
July 9th, 2019, 00:00
What other extensions are you running? Do you have both extensions from this thread installed, updated, and loaded?

I have no others running and still getting the script error.
I found out by uninstalling the other exts I have that one was conflicting with putting the NPCs on so the players could see them. (It was one which renames the NPCs to random names at the end instead of numbers called "NPC flavors". So once I took that off, it fixed the issue.

Still having a random script error when I stack someone on top of a dead body, or when the player dies and comes back to life.

Trenloe
July 9th, 2019, 02:44
Still having a random script error when I stack someone on top of a dead body, or when the player dies and comes back to life.
If you get script errors, please always report the details of the script error - it makes is so much easier to try to track down errors if the developer actually knows what the error is and where it is (the error usually includes these details). There's a "copy to clipboard" button in the console window that displays the error. Please use that to copy/paste the error details into the thread when reporting script errors. Thanks.

StoryWeaver
July 9th, 2019, 15:47
@MrDDT

I am unable to recreate any of the errors you get. As far as my testing and running of my games, things work as intended.

1) Tested melee and ranged attack on NPC and player on top of dead foe. Worked.
2) Tested melee and ranged attack on NPC and player on top of blood left by moved dead foe. Worked.
3) Tested melee and ranged attack on NPC and player on top of blood left by removed dead foe. Worked.
4) Tested melee and ranged attack on killed and brought back player. Worked.
5) Tested melee and ranged attack on killed and brought back on top of blood pool. Worked.
6) Tested melee and ranged attack on changed altitude of player. Worked.
7) Tested melee and ranged attack on changed altitude of player, killed and brought back. Worked.
8) Tested melee and ranged attack on changed altitude of player, killed and brought back on blood pool. Worked.

9) Created new encounter, added to map, npc's show up hidden on map and combat tracker. Worked.

ps. The onZoom script warning can be ignored. It is due to the way the layers code works and it's not something that can be changed and it has no effect on the running of the game.

This alone has probably taken a good 30 minutes so far of getting things up and running, testing the various scenarios and replying with the results. Trying to test and recreate errors takes time and effort before I can even start figuring out what might be going wrong in the code, which is the bulk of the work.

This is why it's important to be as detailed as possible, like Trenloe said before the error is the first thing that's needed (you did have the error output in the image so that's fine), exactly what were you doing when the error occurred, how were you doing it, does it always happen, any specific tokens, module used if any, npc's at play (from what module if any?), what weapon/s is/are used, any altitudes at play, map used (module if any), etc.
As you see I tried all sorts of variations of what you did to try to recreate the error, but on my end everything works without fault.

This become even more important now that most bugs have been cleared up, so it's really mostly rare outlier cases of very specific circumstances that there is no way for me to foresee, that errors show themselves.

So in general I'll ask of you all to please, try to do as much testing and scrutinizing yourselves as you are able to before you report a bug, and report in as much detail as possible. Make sure you can recreate the error by a set number of steps and/or situations, that you can then report with your bug report. So I can actually make good use of my time, of which is limited.

Ducktales
July 9th, 2019, 22:08
Hey I just wanted to say that this extension is quite awesome and has been helping in my games quite a lot. However, I did find an issue which could definitely be on my part but is still something I am going to address. The npc tokens tend to not spawn in "auto invis" on the map. However it does on the tracker. Is this a bug with the extension or something in which I am doing wrong?

MrDDT
July 9th, 2019, 23:10
@MrDDT

I am unable to recreate any of the errors you get. As far as my testing and running of my games, things work as intended.

1) Tested melee and ranged attack on NPC and player on top of dead foe. Worked.
2) Tested melee and ranged attack on NPC and player on top of blood left by moved dead foe. Worked.
3) Tested melee and ranged attack on NPC and player on top of blood left by removed dead foe. Worked.
4) Tested melee and ranged attack on killed and brought back player. Worked.
5) Tested melee and ranged attack on killed and brought back on top of blood pool. Worked.
6) Tested melee and ranged attack on changed altitude of player. Worked.
7) Tested melee and ranged attack on changed altitude of player, killed and brought back. Worked.
8) Tested melee and ranged attack on changed altitude of player, killed and brought back on blood pool. Worked.

9) Created new encounter, added to map, npc's show up hidden on map and combat tracker. Worked.

ps. The onZoom script warning can be ignored. It is due to the way the layers code works and it's not something that can be changed and it has no effect on the running of the game.

This alone has probably taken a good 30 minutes so far of getting things up and running, testing the various scenarios and replying with the results. Trying to test and recreate errors takes time and effort before I can even start figuring out what might be going wrong in the code, which is the bulk of the work.

This is why it's important to be as detailed as possible, like Trenloe said before the error is the first thing that's needed (you did have the error output in the image so that's fine), exactly what were you doing when the error occurred, how were you doing it, does it always happen, any specific tokens, module used if any, npc's at play (from what module if any?), what weapon/s is/are used, any altitudes at play, map used (module if any), etc.
As you see I tried all sorts of variations of what you did to try to recreate the error, but on my end everything works without fault.

This become even more important now that most bugs have been cleared up, so it's really mostly rare outlier cases of very specific circumstances that there is no way for me to foresee, that errors show themselves.

So in general I'll ask of you all to please, try to do as much testing and scrutinizing yourselves as you are able to before you report a bug, and report in as much detail as possible. Make sure you can recreate the error by a set number of steps and/or situations, that you can then report with your bug report. So I can actually make good use of my time, of which is limited.

Thank you so much for your time and effort. I don't do coding and I don't know what the issue is, so when I reported an error I've done all the testing I know how to do. If you do not want to spend your time on fixing issues with your ext, then don't. I didn't report the code because I didn't have it. I've also seen this happen to at least 10 other people other than me not even my table, nor when I was playing just watching on twitch. So acting like it's some one off error is a huge mistake on your end.

Good luck with your ext, I love it and all the work you've done with it. I will try to muddle through any errors I have until they can be fixed by you or others, and maybe one day FG will add more of this stuff directly into the client.

Hey I just wanted to say that this extension is quite awesome and has been helping in my games quite a lot. However, I did find an issue which could definitely be on my part but is still something I am going to address. The npc tokens tend to not spawn in "auto invis" on the map. However it does on the tracker. Is this a bug with the extension or something in which I am doing wrong?

Are you using any other extensions with it? I had this issue and another ext was conflicting with it.

JLBatman
July 9th, 2019, 23:58
If it isn't unique to the module, then it is definitely another ext in play...

At this point I've run hundreds of games with this extension across multiple computers and never had an unreproducible issue except for those due to a conflict with another extension. I have seen bugs, sure, but not like that. And so far, Stym has killed all the ones of which I knew.

Also, which people are you guys watching that are using this extension? I've been told repeatedly that it's not really important enough that many people use it. Which of course, is really just because they don't know about it or wouldn't be bothered to learn, but it's hard to argue with the numbers.

StoryWeaver
July 10th, 2019, 00:17
@MrDDT
Thank you for your feedback. Please don't take my post in such a way that I was getting at you or anything like that, the highlighted lines at the end were meant for error reporting in general.
I appreciate that there are limitations to what you are able to do on your end, much as is the case for myself over here.

From my side of the table, I have fixed a large quantity of issues and bugs as they have reared their ugly head. These are now few and far apart compared to how they were at the start, which is natural as software matures.
While I don't categorize your report among them, there have also also been a number of incorrect reports, caused by incorrect usage, older versions, conflicts with other extensions, and non-general circumstances, such as particular modules having different NPC entries compared to the monster manuals etc. This is also a reason why I'm asking for as much specific information as possible. That's not pulled out of a hat, but from experience that has showed me the various combination of factors that can occur, and at times to do with very specific modules and NPC's, skills, weapons etc. only.

Each of these errors that have been reported, I have looked at, and I have fixed all that I've been able to recreate. And often booting things up to double-check before I even reply, even if I believe it to be an invalid error report. So it's not fair to say that I don't want to nor indicate that I've not been willing to fix them. If I hadn't, I doubt this extensions forum posts would have over 600 replies by myself and others, as is the case.

I'm sure you can appreciate however, that if you were in my shoes, with limited amount of free time each week after work and other real life demands. That you could find it frustrating and wasteful of your time and effort, which you'd put in for free for the community. When it could have been just as easily checked and tested a bit by the user, before reporting an error right of the bat. Reporting an error takes 5 minutes, checking it easily takes 15+ minutes for each, and up to hours to fix.

So given all the hours I've spent checking these things. I think it's reasonable of me to ask people to do their due diligence and help out a little before reporting something in. Actually taking the time, that I would otherwise have to take, to make sure there is an error and that it can actually be recreated in a set number of steps. I am but one person, you are many. All these instances add up over the weeks and months.

Again I am speaking in general here, not so much directly with you in mind.

As for this particular error, as I said I have already spent over 30 minutes testing back and forth, trying to recreate it on my end. I don't think that constitutes not wanting to fix the issue, and I apologize but I can't help but to feel a little irate that you would stipulate that could be the case given that. Fair enough, the general tone might have been a bit to the point and possibly felt a bit blunt in the overall reply. But the truth is I have not been able to recreate this error, I wish I could, truly. If not I wouldn't have spent all that time testing various possible scenarios to try to get it to occur for me. And the fact of the matter is, that unless I am able to recreate an error, I can not trace it, and test it out with code fixes in mind.

Overall I have not seen this error myself, and I say that as someone who has ran several games over a number of months using the extension where I use all its features. So if you have seen this particular error come up with 10 different people, someone of them must be able to tell you how to recreate it, step by step. If you are able to please report that back to me so I can then get it sorted.

Ok, so enough of serious things. In general though I'm glad to hear that you find good use of the extension and that it hopefully makes your games better, that's the reason I've put in the effort over the last 8 months or so. :)

ps. Thank you for helping out by replying to Ducktales.

Zacchaeus
July 10th, 2019, 00:29
Thank you so much for your time and effort. I don't do coding and I don't know what the issue is, so when I reported an error I've done all the testing I know how to do. If you do not want to spend your time on fixing issues with your ext, then don't. I didn't report the code because I didn't have it. I've also seen this happen to at least 10 other people other than me not even my table, nor when I was playing just watching on twitch. So acting like it's some one off error is a huge mistake on your end.

Good luck with your ext, I love it and all the work you've done with it. I will try to muddle through any errors I have until they can be fixed by you or others, and maybe one day FG will add more of this stuff directly into the client.

You are pretty much right out of order here. The author cannot reproduce the error. You need to give him the information that he is asking for in order to help him track any errors. He is not brushing your issue aside, but rather doing a helluva lot of work trying to help you. If you would be good enough to give him a step by step list of how to reproduce the errors consistently that would be good.

MrDDT
July 10th, 2019, 00:56
You are pretty much right out of order here. The author cannot reproduce the error. You need to give him the information that he is asking for in order to help him track any errors. He is not brushing your issue aside, but rather doing a helluva lot of work trying to help you. If you would be good enough to give him a step by step list of how to reproduce the errors consistently that would be good.

The problem comes in, is I was asking for "hey anyone else having an issue with this?" maybe it was a simple thing I was over looking. I've spent hours trying to fix it myself and with the help of others to no avail, so I figured why I would post it here. To my mistake, that unless I can make it happen over on demand, with a code, in a proper format, then I shouldn't have posted at all. So knowing this now, I will not post unless I know all this information (which will be likely never).

From my post, I do not believe I left it with the tone of "hey your **** is messed up you need to take the time to fix it". I've tried to work it out, pretty much the only thing I know how to do. Turning off all exts other than the required ones, and making sure that client of FG is updated along with the ext is the most updated one. After doing those things, plus playing around with making it happen as often as I could (Hence the random comment) I gave the information I knew.

I'm really happy that people are able to make these extensions at all. So using them, or not using them is fully my choice. As I said before, if this can't be fixed or not be ran into before and can't be fixed, I will be forced either to make the choice of not using the ext, or muddling through the issue when it randomly pops up.

Zacc, I'm more than thankful for all the time and effort you and a few others like you have put into helping people. You guys are my heroes of Fantasy Grounds. But unless I know how to make a step by step list of how to make it happen again, it is impossible for me to make it that list, wouldnt you say?

To be clear, maybe it came off wrong on how I said it about him not wanting to take the time to fix it, I meant more that I wasn't requesting him to take that time. I'm glad he looked into it, but I was not calling for that type of attention to the problem yet. I was more asking others if this was a well known error and if there was an easy fix before spending many other hours of my time to try to fix it.

StoryWeaver
July 10th, 2019, 01:26
@MrDDT

Water under the bridge, no hard feelings. :)

I'll keep an eye out for further reports of this error, hopefully something will come to light that can help to recreate it. Also don't be discouraged to post if you find out anything more.
As you said yourself it's random, so there have to be some particular circumstances coming together to cause it. Which is probably why I've not seen nor been able to recreate it.

Sometimes it can even be a memory issues or other things which are out of our control as extension writers, so one thing to try could be to make sure you're under 3GB of ram usage during your game. FG classic starts to act badly around that point.

On another note, I was not aware of the time you'd tried to figure things out yourself and I appreciate you gave as much information as you were able to after doing so. Again the replies above were not meant for you in particular, but instead a general ideal approach when dealing with errors when possible is all. And it sounds like you did what you could. I don't expect anyone to know the inside working of the code or know how to code. It simply stems from wanting to help, and knowing what information can help towards that.

Happy adventures!

Ducktales
July 10th, 2019, 18:26

Are you using any other extensions with it? I had this issue and another ext was conflicting with it.

The following extensions I am using are:
5e critically awesome essentials
5e combat enhancer
core RPG- token helper
DOE: Base extension
DOE: location extension
DOE: ole extension
DOE: Sound extension
Druid Wild shapes implementor
enhanced images
LAE: expanded options

Zacchaeus
July 10th, 2019, 18:58
5e combat enhancer
core RPG- token helper
enhanced images

Disable all of the other extension to see if the problem goes away. If it does then re-enable them one at a time until the problem comes back - and that will be the extension that is causing the issue.

MrDDT
July 10th, 2019, 19:20
5e combat enhancer
core RPG- token helper
enhanced images

What Zacc said but remember you MUST have core RPG token helper and combat enchancer for it to work. So Disable all but those 2 to see if the problem keeps happening, then slowly add back 1 at a time (I go backwards) to see what is causing the problem.

Backwards way is, remove an ext one at a time (normally I start with my last one I installed) til the problem goes away. Sometimes you don't see the problem right away when installing an ext, so it might not always be the last one you installed.

Trenloe
July 10th, 2019, 21:29
5e combat enhancer
core RPG- token helper
enhanced images
Don't use enhanced images for a start - that code is included in this extension and they're not compatible.

JINH
July 17th, 2019, 00:58
Is there a way to force map pins to load on Play Layer instead of Background Layer?

I'm really excited to use most of the features in this, and my players will certainly like all the quality of life improvements. but I had trouble using Enhanced Images, and I'm having the same issue here.

Perhaps I'm using the layer system the wrong way, but I find jumping between layers during play to be really cumbersome when I can't click on area descriptions in maps and see my players at the same time, so I never use layers.

I included a picture of what I see as I move around images on the background layer. I like to let my players have full control of their tokens, and for that it seems like they need to be on the Play Layer.

https://i.imgur.com/zF6qY5u.png

e: I did a search on the thread and sorta found an answer. I can place pins manually on the top layer but the pins that come with modules load on bottom layer automatically. Looks like i just have to open each pin, navigate to the correct layer, and place it again. Not the end of the world, worth the little extra prep on premade modules to use this extension's features.

MrDDT
July 17th, 2019, 01:17
Would be awesome if we can get a hot key to do unmasking instead of changing layers all the time.

Trenloe
July 17th, 2019, 02:14
Perhaps I'm using the layer system the wrong way, but I find jumping between layers during play to be really cumbersome when I can't click on area descriptions in maps and see my players at the same time, so I never use layers.

I included a picture of what I see as I move around images on the background layer. I like to let my players have full control of their tokens, and for that it seems like they need to be on the Play Layer.
The players are always on the play layer - they are never on any other layers, even when the GM is on a different layer. So don't feel like the GM has to switch layers to allow players to do stuff.

I added code to the layers extension to show the player token positions as token "shadows" (you can see that in your screenshot) and these should move as the players move them - so you should be able to be on the bottom layer (for mask functionality and to access module based shortcuts) and still see what the players are doing. Then switch briefly to the play layer (top layer) when you need to interact with PC and NPC tokens.

There are gotchas to the layers functionality (all detailed in the layers extension thread) and it's not for everyone. But, usually, a little bit of attention to detail and appreciating how the layer works (gotchas and all) can help a lot. Some of the combat enhancer extension token functionality relies on the layers to prevent token stacking issues on the player layer.

Trenloe
July 17th, 2019, 02:16
Would be awesome if we can get a hot key to do unmasking instead of changing layers all the time.
See the end of post #2 for details of how the mask button switches between the layers. OK, so it's not a hotkey, but it's a one button press...

JINH
July 17th, 2019, 02:17
That makes sense. I'll look through the layers extension thread and see if I can get more comfortable with the functionality of them through practice on non-game nights. I appreciate the reply!

The Decorated Man
July 27th, 2019, 18:46
A way to move map pins to the top layer would be a great addition. Without individual drag and drops

Trenloe
July 27th, 2019, 18:49
A way to move map pins to the top layer would be a great addition. Without individual drag and drops
It's not possible to do this via the FG API.

JLBatman
July 27th, 2019, 20:05
Bummer, as I've thought that exact thing literally hundreds of times now. It increases the number of layer changes I have to make immeasurably, but I've mostly learned to just work around it (but not so much that i don't get bothered by it every time I do it).
But a limitation in the API is a limitation in the API. I'll survive.
=)

Trenloe
July 27th, 2019, 21:55
Bummer, as I've thought that exact thing literally hundreds of times now. It increases the number of layer changes I have to make immeasurably, but I've mostly learned to just work around it (but not so much that i don't get bothered by it every time I do it).
I would have coded it in the original layers extension ages ago if the API would have allowed it.

JLBatman
July 27th, 2019, 22:07
It's all good, Trenloe. We are all just appreciative of what is there so far!

StoryWeaver
July 28th, 2019, 14:01
I think we all share the same sentiment about this. That's the reason I added a button to the image interface to specifically toggle between the top and bottom layer, without risking involving the layer mask. *laughs*

On the bright side if you're in a campaign you have activated the extension in, you can add the pins to the top layer.
ps. This won't work if your planning to export it to a module, if you do it won't pick up any pins on any other layer than the bottom one.

The Decorated Man
July 29th, 2019, 23:06
It's not possible to do this via the FG API.

No problem. love the .ext, Great Work

Booker Grimm
August 1st, 2019, 20:24
My maps have all suddenly gone utterly black with the extension enabled. Any way to correct this?

JLBatman
August 1st, 2019, 20:41
I have seen this before, but it was temporary.
Did you exit and come back in? I assume you probably did, but I thought I'd ask. I would suggest giving your computer a quick test by removing a few mods just to see if there's a size limit you are hitting?

Booker Grimm
August 1st, 2019, 21:14
I only have the main mod and core token helper activated.

HuseyinCinar
August 2nd, 2019, 00:13
Sometimes when I zoom in a map, the image gets stuck but the pins move closer/farther as if the image is actually zooming in and out. When this happens, I can control the map but the players all report that their maps are EXTREMELY zoomed in and that they can't manipulate it in any way. Not with the button on the right bottom corner, not with Alt shift or anything. I can use the map ping thing to carry them somewhere which shows them the map but it immediately reverts to being HELLA zoomed in.

Is this a known thing?

LordEntrails
August 2nd, 2019, 02:10
How large is the map? Has the image been updated outside of FG since it was added to FG? Have you resized the layers at all?

Those types of things cause problems with the layers extension (which is the part of this extension you are having issues with).

HuseyinCinar
August 2nd, 2019, 22:10
How large is the map? Has the image been updated outside of FG since it was added to FG? Have you resized the layers at all?

Those types of things cause problems with the layers extension (which is the part of this extension you are having issues with).

The first time I had this issue was on the Nightstone map on SKT module from WotC. It is a biiiig map with a lot of squares/grid. The second time is on a non-gridded overland view of a town (Triboar from the same module). So the image size isn't the problem causer.

I'm not sure what you mean by resizing the layers? I right click the image and then select Adjust Horitontally to make it fit my screen but that shouldn't be a problem.

I have moved the grid around in the Nightstone map but that can't be the cause either because the other map doesn't have a grid but still has the same prob.

StoryWeaver
August 2nd, 2019, 23:11
While it's been a while since I've seen this happen. It's usually been when opening a very large map, after which latter maps are likely to cause issues during that session of the game. That is until the campaign gets reloaded.
When individual players have had this issue, a restart and reconnect has fixed it.

All these sort of things should stop being and issue once Unity comes out.

HuseyinCinar
August 3rd, 2019, 07:40
That is until the campaign gets reloaded. When individual players have had this issue, a restart and reconnect has fixed it.

I'm gonna guess /reload from the DM should also work? I'll try it if it happens again, thank you. I'll try to provide more information too.

I think there was an Error Code but I can't find where I saved it now. Would that help? I mean normally yeah of course, but in this situation?

damned
August 3rd, 2019, 07:47
You cant /reload while you have a client connected... otherwise yes.

HuseyinCinar
August 3rd, 2019, 07:58
You cant /reload while you have a client connected... otherwise yes.

Oh I didn't know that

Axoid
August 3rd, 2019, 14:57
I just installed these two extensions per the instructions, and I have a couple of questions.

When making any ranged/thrown attack, I get the following script error, regardless of how I make the attack (drop it on the CT icon, drop it on the map icon, or target and double-click)
Script Error: [string"script/ranged_attacks.lus"]478: bad argument #1 to 'match' [string expected, got nil]

The other question is when I drop a save onto a creature, I get the X or check, but that overlay stays even after the damage is applied. How do you get rid of that?

JLBatman
August 3rd, 2019, 15:14
Hello Axoid,

For the script error - It's 99% likely to be interacting with another extension and the two don't get along. Which ones do you have?

The second issue is just one of clicking the clear saves button at the top right of that map's tool bar. Looks sort of like a 20-sided die in wireframe. Click that, and it clears them all.

HuseyinCinar
August 3rd, 2019, 15:44
I think there was an Error Code but I can't find where I saved it now.

Found it:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_ping.lua"]:96: attempt to index local 'w' (a nil value)
Script Warning: onZoom: Recursive control event or call terminated (imagecontrollay_image)
Script Warning: onZoom: Recursive control event or call terminated (imagecontrollay_image)

DGM
August 3rd, 2019, 20:23
Found it:

I've been getting this a lot, it's quite common and requires a restart, DM's on Sleeper Island that use the Combat Enhancer are also running into this issue.28221

StoryWeaver
August 3rd, 2019, 22:02
@HuseyinCinar
@DGM

Please fill out a bug report so I can look into it.

Bug Report

Is your FG software up to date?

Do you have the latest version of both extensions installed?
(You can see the most up to date version numbers in the first post on page 1, the version numbers are printed in FG on start in the chat.)

How much memory is Fantasy Grounds using while the error occurs? (You can check this in the Task Manager if you're using Windows)

Please post the console error printout here:
(This is the error log window text. It can be opened by typing '/console' in the FG text window if it didn't open by itself. Also if there are no output errors, state that here.)

If you create a new (clean) campaign, does the error still occur, with ONLY the 5E Combat Enhancer and Token Helper extensions enabled?

Can you recreate the error consistently?

What are the precise steps to recreating the error?

Does this always happen?

Does this only happen when using a specific module, map, NPC, PC, weapon, etc.?
(The more in depth information on which these are the better.)

Do you have a screenshot you could share?

Any further information that could help to replicate and trace the error?

Axoid
August 4th, 2019, 02:36
Hello Axoid,

For the script error - It's 99% likely to be interacting with another extension and the two don't get along. Which ones do you have?

The second issue is just one of clicking the clear saves button at the top right of that map's tool bar. Looks sort of like a 20-sided die in wireframe. Click that, and it clears them all.

I have several. I'll list them here.
12pt clear font for SE
5E - Action Abilities 1.2 (with wounds)
5E - Advanced Effects
5E - Change Initiative, Update Effects
5E - Curse of Strahd
5E Extension - NPC flavours
Theogeek's Improved Critical
Window Saver

And of course 5E Combat Enhance and Core RPG - Token Helper

For the saves icon overlays, I tried that and it didn't work. The button didn't seem to do anything.

JLBatman
August 4th, 2019, 03:42
well, we can rule out curse of strahd, as I've got that one with combat enhancer. I can also rule out window saver for you, as I'm using that as well. But some of those others that are changing actions or effects might be it. This enhancer has a lot of slick things that affect those.

Some other peeps might be able to give you better info, but I would suggest stripping them all out and then walking back up, in order of your favorites. =)

LordEntrails
August 4th, 2019, 04:30
I have several. I'll list them here.
12pt clear font for SE
5E - Advanced Effects
5E - Curse of Strahd
Window Saver

And of course 5E Combat Enhance and Core RPG - Token Helper

For the saves icon overlays, I tried that and it didn't work. The button didn't seem to do anything.
Turn them off one at a time until you find the problem. This extension is extensive (ha!) and if you use it with any other extensions you have to test it to make sure these types of things aren't a problem.

Axoid
August 4th, 2019, 10:52
Turn them off one at a time until you find the problem. This extension is extensive (ha!) and if you use it with any other extensions you have to test it to make sure these types of things aren't a problem.

Will, do, and I'll report back after.

Axoid
August 4th, 2019, 11:26
I turned all other extensions off except the two for the CE, as well as Window Saver and the COS theme. I still get the script error when I try to make a ranged attack. I tried removing and reinstalling the grid, as well as moving the tokens to different maps. Nothing worked. If I click the icon next to the weapon, to change it from ranged to melee to thrown, the error only pops up when its either thrown or ranged. Melee works OK.

I also tried equipping the weapon from the inventory sheet, and re-equipping it.

I have the latest version of FG installed, with an ultimate license.

StarDrifter
August 4th, 2019, 11:33
The DM and players can both drag and drop conditions onto themselves (token or in CT). If the condition already exists on the target when dropped, it is removed instead.
Is there a way to turn that off?

StoryWeaver
August 4th, 2019, 12:53
@StarDrifter

No. As it's a quality of life addition I don't see myself adding a switch for that. Having the players being able to do so as well can take more work of you as a GM.
Of course this relies on being able to trust your players, but I've not had any issues with that in any of my games.

ps. I suppose you could keep an eye on things over a few sessions to make sure if it looks otherwise. In the end these are just tools, to be used as reminders and/or for some additional automation.

StoryWeaver
August 4th, 2019, 12:54
@Axoid

Please fill out a bug report so I can look into it.

Bug Report

(You can see the most up to date version numbers in the first post on page 1, the version numbers are printed in FG on start in the chat.)

How much memory is Fantasy Grounds using while the error occurs? (You can check this in the Task Manager if you're using Windows)

(This is the error log window text. It can be opened by typing '/console' in the FG text window if it didn't open by itself. Also if there are no output errors, state that here.)

If you create a new (clean) campaign, does the error still occur, with ONLY the 5E Combat Enhancer and Token Helper extensions enabled?

Does this always happen?

HuseyinCinar
August 4th, 2019, 15:04
Bug Report

Yes, always have been.

Yes, I'm subscribed to this thread so I always download when you post an update. I read most posts.

No answer for now but I'll try to check if it happens again. How do I check this on a Mac?

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_ping.lua"]:96: attempt to index local 'w' (a nil value)

Don't know if the first line is relevant or not, the last line is looping without change.

Happened in two separate campaigns during play. Not necessarily "clean".

So far, no. That's why I can't try individual extensions. If there's a certain way to replicate I can check combination of extension to see.

Does this always happen?

Rarely. But %100 breaks the game if the map is being actively used with tokens.

Not that I have seen. Experienced it on different modules and maps.

Axoid
August 4th, 2019, 18:56
Bug Report

Yes

Yes, I confirmed

1,929.5MB

I get two slightly different errors, for different characters
Script Error: [string "scripts/ranged_attacks.lua"]:478: bad argument #1 to 'match' (string expected, got nil)
Script Error: [string "scripts/ranged_attacks.lua"]:482: bad argument #1 to 'find' (string expected, got nil)

[U]If you create a new (clean) campaign, does the error still occur, with ONLY the 5E Combat Enhancer and Token Helper extensions enabled?
It does not. I created a new campaign, and only loaded the two extensions and three modules (PHB, DMG, and MM). I created a very basic fighter (only class), and added 3 ranged weapons (light xbow, shortbow, longbow). All three weapons did not give the error regardless of the token location.

Yes

I did some more digging. When both tokens are are the same map, ranged attacks with weapons give the error. If one or both tokens are just in the combat tracker (and not shown on the combat map) then the error does not happen. Also, regardless of where the tokens are, ranged attacks with spells are OK as are ranged attacks from NPCs

Does this always happen?
As noted above, yes

I tried it with multiple characters and multiple weapons vs multiple targets on multiple maps.

Not really, it's just the error log info that I shared

So I tried completely removing the weapon from the character's inventory and adding it back, and that seemed to fix the issue. I can make ranged attacks without the error popping up. I tried this on multiple characters with multiple weapons. Might explain why the ranged spells worked since there wasn't an inventory item to match it. I also closed the campaign and re-opened it and the characters with the 'new' weapons still worked ok, while the ones with the 'old' weapons still got the error. I then went back and added on all the extensions I use and the issue did not change (still get an error on 'old' weapons and no error on 'new' weapons) So all these extensions seem to work OK together with the combat enhancer
12pt clear font for SE
5E - Advanced Effects
5E - Curse of Strahd
Window Saver

So to recap, the error only happens with 'existing' weapons in a character's inventory, and only if both the tokens (attacker and target) are on the map together. It does not happen if I delete the weapon and add it back in the character's inventory, nor does it happen on ranged spell attacks or if an NPC makes a ranged attack against a character.

So my fix for now is to delete existing ranged attack weapons and add them back in.

StoryWeaver
August 4th, 2019, 21:54
@Axoid

The error messages and your reply tells me that it's not finding what it's looking for in the campaign XML (db.xml).
The code looks for a standardized xml entries similar to that which are created when items are added from the Players Handbook. So if the entries are custom made, they might also not fit this setup and thus again the regular expression would fail if it's not done similarly.
So it does make sense that removing and re-adding the items would rewrite them into the campaign database and thereby fix the problem.

Spells are written somewhat differently into the database, so it could be that they had the xml needed in place, where as the weapons simply didn't. They again depend on a standarized entry.

Just to make sure, this doesn't happen again each time you start the campaign right, after having deleted and added the items back in the time before? That is you have a permanent fix you figured out?

StoryWeaver
August 4th, 2019, 22:12
@HuseyinCinar

Don't have a mac myself, but googling found me this to check memory:
https://www.wikihow.tech/Check-Memory-Usage-on-a-Mac

The error message would indicate it's linked to pinging the map. (shift + left click / shift + control + left click). It seems to be unable to catch the window instance and thus do further work on it. Aka. ping etc.

I opened up my test campaign, with a secondary FG connecting to it. Found the Nightstone map and added it and some grids with players and monsters on it. Sharing and pinging produced no errors despite it being a large map.

Try making a new campaign, loading up Storm King's Thunder and the same map with only the Combat Enhancer and Token Helper loaded. See if you get the same problem.

Last time I saw this happen was over half a year ago (no pinging involved, just loading up the map). When it was happened, it kept happening to certain players (one in particular), and myself sometimes. In my case the memory usage was hovering around the 3GB range when it happened.
After I stripped down loaded assets to drop the memory usage to a safer level (FG starts breaking around 3GB) the problem stopped.

ps. My test campaign has a minimal load of under 1GB memory usage. Of course a fully running campaign will have more, but try to make sure to leave some wriggling room below 3GB. Opening an image, particularly a large one will be much larger in memory than on the hard drive, due it becoming un-compressed on load.

Axoid
August 4th, 2019, 23:18
Correct, removing/adding the item back fixes the issue. These were not custom items, just normal stuff pulled from the PHB. I'll just move forward with replacing all ranged weapons. Thanks.

Axoid
August 4th, 2019, 23:37
The only thing I am still having an issue with is the clear saves button doesn't do anything. I click it to try and clear the X or check, and nothing happens. It doesn't even feel like the button is 'active' if that makes sense.

StarDrifter
August 5th, 2019, 00:24
I was more talking about the automatic removing of multiple conditions. As I've got several conditions that are stackable.

StoryWeaver
August 5th, 2019, 00:32
@Axoid

Good to hear.

Never had any issues with clearing saves on my end, nor any error messages related to it. Only thing I can think of is to try it on the different layers. The button itself has no indicator to it, it should be light grey all the time.
Overall I just click it after someone has made a save on the top layer (where the players are), and a green check mark or red x appear, and it clears it.

That aside, same procedure as above, if you want to file another error report to give me the information I need to try to start narrowing down the issue.

Bug Report

Describe your error/bug in as much detail as possible:

Does this always happen?

StoryWeaver
August 5th, 2019, 00:34
@StarDrifter

Not possible in the current code. The way it works now is that it compares the full condition text to that on the CT, if it's there it removes it, if not it adds it.
Removing all of them would require new code entirely. As it's not something that you all that frequently, at least I don't. And as it's quick to do it manually in the CT I don't feel the need for that as an improvement at this stage.

StarDrifter
August 5th, 2019, 02:45
Damn was hoping for a quick and easy. Well, like you said, it's not that big of a deal and the extension is super fabulous anyway. Thanks for answering. Keep up the fantastic work.

garr71
August 7th, 2019, 02:41
Uh oh, should have not updated on game night, getting a version compatibility error from today's patch.

JohnQPublic
August 7th, 2019, 03:34
Uh oh, should have not updated on game night, getting a version compatibility error from today's patch.

I'm getting no errors.

JLBatman
August 7th, 2019, 03:39
Once you update you will...
I'm getting them as well. Version switch.

JohnQPublic
August 7th, 2019, 03:41
Once you update you will...
I'm getting them as well. Version switch.

Nope. Updated just fine. No errors.

JLBatman
August 7th, 2019, 04:10
Suspect you have something stuck and not updated, then. I can tell you the version change if it would help you.

But it doesn't matter - it's clearly related to the patch, as it tells he and I the same thing.28316

Axoid
August 7th, 2019, 12:18
I received a script error too after updating and when launching a campaign with the Combat Enhancer active.

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_versionchk.lua"]:25: VERSION :3.3.8 is not supported for 5e Combat Enhancer 1.5.6, it is only supported for 3.3.7 use at your own risk!

It still loads and still seems to work, more of an FYI I guess.

Thanks
Don

Dax Doomslayer
August 7th, 2019, 13:56
I'm getting the same error as Axoid on my loading of the 5E campaign (Curse of Strahd) after the update. It did seem to work fine as best I can tell during our session last night but the message continues to appear.

StoryWeaver
August 7th, 2019, 23:26
New version of FG rolled out ladies and gents, version checking updated. :)

5e Combat Enhancer v1.5.7 Released
* Updated version checking to check for FG v3.3.8 instead of previous v3.3.7. [scripts/manager_versionchk.lua]

spoonhead
August 7th, 2019, 23:35
Interesting. I only got the script error after the second loading of a campaign. The very first time, no script error.

EDIT: OK new version now working.

Booker Grimm
August 9th, 2019, 11:16
I'm still getting black backgrounds for my maps, even when I create a new map. I've tried it with the new update and with all other extensions except token helper disabled. Can anyone help or do I have to delete my campaign data? It seems to work fine on other campaigns.

StoryWeaver
August 9th, 2019, 12:39
@Booker Grimm
Sounds like there is an issue with the campaign data, memory or the map being to big.

Try starting the campaign and only loading a small map or image to start with. If that works it's most likely your map that's to big or has issues with it's format etc.
Note that if an error like you describe happens once it's likely to keep happening with all images after during that session of the server. So you can't open the faulting image then test smaller ones after.

If it turns out the map is to big, you could use something like photoshop or similar to save it in lower quality or make it smaller.

That aside it sounds like an issue with the campaign so besides the above, not sure how much could be done.

If you'd like me to look at it further please file a bug report.

Bug Report

Does this always happen?

Booker Grimm
August 9th, 2019, 16:02
Bug Report

1. FG version 3.3.8 Ultimate
2. 5e Combat Enhancer 1.5.7
Token Helper 1.1.8
3. Memory Used 28% 871 MB
4. No output errors
5. Error does not occur with a new campaign
6. I can recreate the error consistently with only Combat Enhancer and token helper enabled.
7. Recreate error - select Images and Maps. Right Click. Select create item. (New map has completely black background.
8. Always happens in my current campaign.
9. Always happens no matter what module is loaded or unloaded. Does not happen in new campaigns.

MrDDT
August 9th, 2019, 16:22
That says new drawing. Does it happen to images other than a new drawing?

Booker Grimm
August 9th, 2019, 16:29
Yeah, only maps I have in my images folder. Module images are fine.

MrDDT
August 9th, 2019, 16:42
Yeah, only maps I have in my images folder. Module images are fine.

What sizes are the images you trying? in pixels and mb?

Booker Grimm
August 9th, 2019, 16:55
With new maps it's fine. I've just copied the old ones and had to replace all the encounter pins. Then deleted the old maps. Maps sizes are no more than 150kb. Just think the campaign got corrupted somehow, but even loading a backup db doesn't seem to help. I'll just replace all 20 maps as and when needed. Thanks anyway. Hope it doesn't happen again though.

oh and pixel size is 535 x 375.

StoryWeaver
August 9th, 2019, 17:45
The background of images is black by default using the Combat Enhancer, this is to make the mask look better than the default FG.

If you're right clicking or simply making a new image in images, then you're making a blank new image like as MrDDT said above. This is normal, and you'll just see a black background, as there is no content yet.

Dragging and dropping an image onto that list, or into the images folder however, will create an actual image that will then open up when clicked.

This also happens if you have an image or linked map that gets removed or otherwise lost from the images folder. When you click on the link it'll try to open it, but nothings there, so a blank background. Black background with this extension. Again normal FG behaviour.

From what you're saying it sounds like that's the case, so re-adding the images, or setting them up a new as you have been doing should fix it.

Jankin
August 10th, 2019, 00:49
Any chance a feature could be added to allow facing turning for Player's when tokens are locked?

StoryWeaver
August 10th, 2019, 01:13
With FG Unity just around the corner, that'll come with quite a few changes, I'm not adding any more features to this extension. It is maintenance and support mode.

VoltronRocks
August 14th, 2019, 22:47
I see the folder of images. But where is the way to download the folder without having to download each image one at a time. I've looked everywhere and the instructions just say to copy it to the place, but not a direct button to download the whole folder. Thanks

StoryWeaver
August 15th, 2019, 13:08
You'll have to download them one by one unfortunately. There is not download folder option I could find.

Might add a .zip version of the folder later today, not decided yet. It might confuse some people, make it less clear if both are there, .zip and folder. Also when presenting it as a zip some users might then end up putting the .zip into images, assuming that should work etc.

StoryWeaver
August 15th, 2019, 17:22
Added "Combat Enhancer Graphics.zip" to the Install Versions folder, containing a zipped version of the "Combat Enhancer" folder.

Jankin
August 25th, 2019, 19:32
Combat Enchaner is causing issues with blank images, character pictures and downloading issues connecting to tables, we removed all extenisons one by one, only yours is causing issues, you mite want to look in to whats going on, yes we're using the most update ver.

LordEntrails
August 25th, 2019, 20:21
Combat Enchaner is causing issues with blank images, character pictures and downloading issues connecting to tables, we removed all extenisons one by one, only yours is causing issues, you mite want to look in to whats going on, yes we're using the most update ver.
This sounds like it might be due to too many images shared. Check your players' process size limit next time you are playing. To resolve this, unshare images and have your players delete their cache from the FG launch screen.

pablomaz
August 25th, 2019, 21:19

I was having a problem with a rectangular white image I was using as a plain grid (well, after snapping a grid to it). First time I changed something on it (painted it sandpaper), my players only could see a black image on their ends. I just deleted it and fixed another image with the same characteristics.

Jankin
August 25th, 2019, 22:19
This sounds like it might be due to too many images shared. Check your players' process size limit next time you are playing. To resolve this, unshare images and have your players delete their cache from the FG launch screen.

This isn’t the case, the culprit is Enhancer, all images were unshared, re-added with Enhancer on, images started working after removing the ext, something is wrong I’ve also noticed people have reported the same issues by the look of the past messages.

StoryWeaver
August 27th, 2019, 01:21
Only time I've had issues with this is when I was pushing the memory limits. Also blank images will appear black as that is the default background, instead of grey, for the Combat Enhancer.

Never experienced, nor heard of any issues with tables before. They are not used in any way by the extension, so not sure how that could happen.

First thing that comes to mind is an added memory buffer due to layers. Try using the Enhanced Images extension instead, and see if you get the same issues, to start eliminating possibilities.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG)

That aside, regular procedure for both issues:

Bug Report

Does this always happen?

Geokhan
August 27th, 2019, 17:16
I run the Combat Enhancer v1.5.7 and only had the issue of blank/black maps on the players side after I modified my maps after hitting the memory limit. Not all maps were doing this only the ones I had created and only after I had resized them with paint to lower the resolution (going from 4.7mb to 600k) and changed them from .png to .jpg. Maps that are in modules work fine as well as sharing images for NPC that were in modules. I am going to build a clean campaign and see if it is not an issues from having crashed after hitting the memory limit as there maybe something residual that I am not aware of.

Just my comments..

*** started a clean campaign, the issues I was having with blank maps was due to them being .png and not .jpg. something about the transparency layers was messing them up and not the Combat Enhancer.

StoryWeaver
September 1st, 2019, 18:27
Hello all supporters and users of my extension!

It’s been a long and exciting road. This extension has grown far beyond my original plans, with countless of hours poured into numerous updates, patches and changes over the months. While not perfect or ever fully completed, as is the case for all software, as it changes over its lifetime. That said, overall it is now in a very good and stable state for the vast majority of user cases.

I also have a lot less available time since I started it’s creation due to real life. Thus I am no longer able to put time into supporting or updating it further. But I believe it is a very good extension at this point, and should allow for hours of enhanced fun for everyone using it!

So with that said this extension, the Combat Enhancer 5E Classic, is now for all intents and purposes in its final form and all of its use going forward is and will be, as is.

On a personal note, I want to thank the community for the fantastic reception and support of my creation and work, and wish you all happy adventures and good times! :)

Tyrannosaurus VeX
September 1st, 2019, 19:07
As a huge fan, Stymir, I hope "life" doesn't prevent you from making the "Combat Enhancer 5E Unity"!

The future is nigh ...

pablomaz
September 1st, 2019, 21:56
Thanks, Stymir, for all you've done for the community!

HuseyinCinar
September 1st, 2019, 22:18
As a huge fan, Stymir, I hope "life" doesn't prevent you from making the "Combat Enhancer 5E Unity"!

Don't leave us!

No seriously, take care of yourself. You deserve all the time off.

Hope you find time to update to Unity once it's out.

Thank you for everythinggg

Halfront
September 2nd, 2019, 14:59
Like others, thank you for your tremendous work with this extension!

Egheal
September 2nd, 2019, 17:59
Thanks a lot for this gem, probably the most usefull extension with the DOE Sound. I hope you will get the time to do the Combat Enhancer Unity though !

StoryWeaver
September 6th, 2019, 01:12
Thank you all, I appreciate it. :)

Trenloe
September 6th, 2019, 18:17
Thanks for your enthusiastic and great work on this extension. Hope you hang around, get some gaming done and enjoy the exciting times FG has ahead!

Zetesofos
September 18th, 2019, 21:36
Just checking in - did this extension break a bit with the 9/10 update?

JohnQPublic
September 18th, 2019, 21:56

In what way?

notrealdan
September 18th, 2019, 22:00

The 9/10 update was one of the regular weekly content updates, and didn't change Fantasy Grounds itself. Those are typically ruleset changes and module fixes, like errata and typo corrections, not a change to the Fantasy Grounds program itself. Fantasy Grounds last got an update on 8/6, bringing it to version 3.3.8. You can see the release notes here for a list of changes in that update:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50353-Release-v3-3-8

You can also see the list of changes for the 9/10 update here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50904-Release-Updates-for-September-10th-2019

And keep an eye out in the City Hall for these announcements, here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?37-City-Hall

To my knowledge, this extension is still working, but I suggest you check the first post in this thread and make sure you have the very latest version of the extension files. You may have older versions.

Zetesofos
September 18th, 2019, 22:10
I did have an older version of the extension - but when I tried to upload a newer one and I got an X on the launcher and it wouldn't load.

Zacchaeus
September 18th, 2019, 22:55
I did have an older version of the extension - but when I tried to upload a newer one and I got an X on the launcher and it wouldn't load.
Make sure you have both of the extensions. See the first post in this thread and ensure you have the helper extension as well as the main bit.

graziano.girelli
September 24th, 2019, 21:31
Is this extension campatible with official AD&D ruleset?

Trenloe
September 24th, 2019, 21:49
Is this extension campatible with official AD&D ruleset?
It's for D&D 5E.

graziano.girelli
September 24th, 2019, 22:50
I hope it's compatible.
Thanks for your asnwer!

LordEntrails
September 25th, 2019, 00:57
No it's not compatible.

Note that I believe some of the features of this extension are already present in the 2E ruleset.

sammyp03
October 6th, 2019, 09:36
Question, I am getting a script error, but only when a token reaches 0HP. Any Ideas

Zacchaeus
October 6th, 2019, 13:59
Question, I am getting a script error, but only when a token reaches 0HP. Any Ideas

Kinda need you to tell us what the script error is. Also make sure that this only happens with only this extension loaded. It could be another extension that is causing the issue or that isn't compatible with this one.

wrandalljr4
October 6th, 2019, 16:33
Hello

Change NPC background on death in CT ..... I have this turned on, anyone knows why it is not greying out on the death of an NPC?.

Thank you in advance.

Warren

sammyp03
October 6th, 2019, 20:23
Kinda need you to tell us what the script error is. Also make sure that this only happens with only this extension loaded. It could be another extension that is causing the issue or that isn't compatible with this one.

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token2.lua"]:1018: attempt to index local 'tokenMap' (a nil value)

sammyp03
October 6th, 2019, 20:29
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token2.lua"]:1018: attempt to index local 'tokenMap' (a nil value)

I think i figured it out, i think its because i had the folder in just the tokens folder not the Host.

sammyp03
October 6th, 2019, 20:30
I am also getting a 2nd error with ranged attacks

Script Error: [string "scripts/ranged_attacks.lua"]:40: attempt to concatenate local 'maxRange' (a nil value)

Pinkatron2000
October 7th, 2019, 16:32
I am also getting a 2nd error with ranged attacks

Script Error: [string "scripts/ranged_attacks.lua"]:40: attempt to concatenate local 'maxRange' (a nil value)

Hullo! My rogue and bard are experiencing this exact same error with their crossbows. I also did not turn on flanking, yet with the last FG update it was mysteriously turned on?

Bonkon
October 7th, 2019, 18:15
Hullo! My rogue and bard are experiencing this exact same error with their crossbows. I also did not turn on flanking, yet with the last FG update it was mysteriously turned on?

Good Day Pinkatron and Sammy :)

I had a range error in the past I do not know if it is the same but I removed the ranged weapon from the character inventory and added it back in and that fixed it.

JohnQPublic
October 7th, 2019, 20:47
Here's some context for the ranged error, that I'm seeing anyway.

Create new 5E campaign. Only Combat Enhancer (1.5.7) and Token Helper(1.1.8). Load PHB and DMG.

Create character.
Add dart to inventory. Add Dwarven Thrower (from DMG) to inventory. Identify Dwarven Thrower.

Add token to character. Add character to combat tracker. Add bad guy to combat tracker. Make bad guy visible.

Add both tokens to a new (blank) map with grid (it does the same on any map I try). Verify tokens are on top later. Make it the character's turn.

Character targets bad guy. Throw dart from actions tab. Works fine. Rolls DIS due to range and everything. Set Dwarven Thrower to thrown. Throw hammer. Err. Set to melee. Works fine. Set to ranged. Get error. Remove Dwarven Thrower from inventory and re-add. Identify. Set to thrown. Throw. Err.

Script Error: [string "scripts/ranged_attacks.lua"]:482: bad argument #1 to 'find' (string expected, got nil)

On action tab right-click and add new (named asdf). Set it to thrown. Throw it. Err.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
October 7th, 2019, 22:17

Create new 5E campaign. Only Combat Enhancer (1.5.7) and Token Helper(1.1.8). Load PHB and DMG.

Create character.
Add dart to inventory. Add Dwarven Thrower (from DMG) to inventory. Identify Dwarven Thrower.

Add token to character. Add character to combat tracker. Add bad guy to combat tracker. Make bad guy visible.

Add both tokens to a new (blank) map with grid (it does the same on any map I try). Verify tokens are on top later. Make it the character's turn.

Character targets bad guy. Throw dart from actions tab. Works fine. Rolls DIS due to range and everything. Set Dwarven Thrower to thrown. Throw hammer. Err. Set to melee. Works fine. Set to ranged. Get error. Remove Dwarven Thrower from inventory and re-add. Identify. Set to thrown. Throw. Err.

On action tab right-click and add new (named asdf). Set it to thrown. Throw it. Err.

Does it make a difference if you identify the dwarven thrower BEFORE you add it to the character sheet? I don't think you've tried that. Honestly, it SHOULD NOT make a difference, but by process of elimination ... the other thing you might try is unequipping/re-equipping it.

MrDDT
October 7th, 2019, 23:07

Create character.

Check the properties of Dwarven Thrower, it's likely missing the range part of it causing it to make an error.
You can turn off the range check if you do not like to edit items that are ranged missing the range in the properties.

JohnQPublic
October 8th, 2019, 00:26
Check the properties of Dwarven Thrower, it's likely missing the range part of it causing it to make an error.
You can turn off the range check if you do not like to edit items that are ranged missing the range in the properties.

That was it. Thanks!

Jankin
October 9th, 2019, 19:15
Also getting the "Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token2.lua"]:1018: attempt to index local 'tokenMap' (a nil value)"

We believe its related to the blood spatter tokens

MrDDT
October 9th, 2019, 21:18
Also getting the "Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token2.lua"]:1018: attempt to index local 'tokenMap' (a nil value)"

We believe its related to the blood spatter tokens

What exts you have installed when this happens?

sammyp03
October 10th, 2019, 07:15
What exts you have installed when this happens?

Just Token Helper and Combat Enhancer

MrDDT
October 10th, 2019, 07:18

I see you two working it out. You get it figured out about missing the tokens and they were in a folder?

Jankin
October 12th, 2019, 16:49

So I’ve been trying to figure his out for my DM, we finally fixed it, check your images folder and make sure it’s in the /tokens/host folder not /tokens

Malkinere
October 12th, 2019, 21:26
I am also getting the following script error:
Script Error: [string "scripts/ranged_attacks.lua"]:430: bad argument #1 to 'find' (string expected, got nil)

I have tried removing everything from the CT and re-adding them and still the same result. When I remove the Combat Enhancer extension I dont have the issue anymore. I have also verified that I have the latest updatedc version and that the combat enhancer folder is copied into the host folder

Pinkatron2000
October 12th, 2019, 21:32
The rogue has a custom created + added cross bow, I will get him (he's my husband xD) to check that everything is still set and see if removing everything and re-adding helps. Lots of replies here for me to go over too--will test it. Thank you!

DevilDog2081
October 13th, 2019, 22:29
I've downloaded and feel I've installed correctly. When I load my campaign though and try to load the extension it has a big red X where I would choose.

Zacchaeus
October 13th, 2019, 23:00
I've downloaded and feel I've installed correctly. When I load my campaign though and try to load the extension it has a big red X where I would choose.
You need to download and also select the token helper extension as well. The x says you are missing that. Alternatively you have not downloaded the most recent version.

DevilDog2081
October 13th, 2019, 23:20
Thank you. I forgot to put the helper extension in folder. Thanks for quick response

Trenloe
October 14th, 2019, 00:36
I am also getting the following script error:
Script Error: [string "scripts/ranged_attacks.lua"]:430: bad argument #1 to 'find' (string expected, got nil)
See this post on the previous page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47146-5e-Combat-Enhancer-(built-on-retired-GPL-Advanced-Kombat-extension)&p=455919&viewfull=1#post455919

StoryWeaver
October 15th, 2019, 01:14
Combat Enhancer 5E Classic version 1.5.8 released.

v1.5.8 (October 14th, 2019) (updated)
* Disabled FG version checking. [extension.xml: <script name="VersionCheck" file="scripts/manager_versionchk.lua" /> ]

With the upcoming FG 3.3.9 currently in beta, I decided to get ahead of FG version checking errors for v3.3.9 and going forward. Therefore I decided to roll out a new version of Combat Enhancer Classic with the FG version checking disabled.

Martin153
October 16th, 2019, 10:25
Hi Guys.. Loving the extension and a big thanks to all involved!

One thing I am trying to get my head around.. When I am using a purchased module, I have to redo/place all the pins on the top layer of the map? Currently, the pins seem to be placed on the bottom layer as standard. The players cannot access their tokens on that layer, and the encounters are added on a different layer to the PCs? Hence I am having to delete every pin and redo the encounter on the 'player' level. Am I missing something fundamental here?

When the extension isn't loaded, the encounters are placed on the player level?

Once again, fantastic extension and the players loved it!

Mart

Trenloe
October 16th, 2019, 14:51
One thing I am trying to get my head around.. When I am using a purchased module, I have to redo/place all the pins on the top layer of the map? Currently, the pins seem to be placed on the bottom layer as standard. The players cannot access their tokens on that layer, and the encounters are added on a different layer to the PCs? Hence I am having to delete every pin and redo the encounter on the 'player' level. Am I missing something fundamental here?

When the extension isn't loaded, the encounters are placed on the player level?
Without this extension there is only one "level". This extension uses the layers functionality from the Enhanced Images extension. Published modules don't know about this and so the pins are on the bottom layer. As the GM, just switch to that layer to access your pins (links) - use the "Toggle between the top and bottom layer" button in the image toolbar.

See the first 2 posts here for more info on how to use the layers, and the gotchas: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%2528layers%2529-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%2528and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%2529

If the extension is running correctly it should put the NPC tokens from the encounter on the top layer (play layers) when you deploy the encounter to the combat tracker. I've just tested this and it's working correctly - clicking the down arrow at the bottom of the encounter window deploys the monsters to the combat tracker and, if they have pre-placement, the tokens to the top (play) layers. How are you deploying the encounter?

Martin153
October 16th, 2019, 18:18
Without this extension there is only one "level". This extension uses the layers functionality from the Enhanced Images extension. Published modules don't know about this and so the pins are on the bottom layer. As the GM, just switch to that layer to access your pins (links) - use the "Toggle between the top and bottom layer" button in the image toolbar.

See the first 2 posts here for more info on how to use the layers, and the gotchas: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%2528layers%2529-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%2528and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%2529

If the extension is running correctly it should put the NPC tokens from the encounter on the top layer (play layers) when you deploy the encounter to the combat tracker. I've just tested this and it's working correctly - clicking the down arrow at the bottom of the encounter window deploys the monsters to the combat tracker and, if they have pre-placement, the tokens to the top (play) layers. How are you deploying the encounter?

I must have something set wrong. I am deploying the encounter from the arrow in the 'encounter window' but nothing is being deployed to the map on any level. If I recreate the encounter manually and place the NPC tokens on the top (player) layer it works fine...

Mart

Trenloe
October 16th, 2019, 18:34
I must have something set wrong. I am deploying the encounter from the arrow in the 'encounter window' but nothing is being deployed to the map on any level. If I recreate the encounter manually and place the NPC tokens on the top (player) layer it works fine...
Then I'm guessing the encounter you're using doesn't have token pre-placement. You'll see a check (tick) mark for each token that has pre-placement, if you just see the tokens under the creature row in the encounter window then there's no pre-placement.

If there are check marks then maybe the tokens are being deployed to a different map?

Martin153
October 16th, 2019, 20:01
It's the LMoP, ToD official modules.... haven't tried any others so far... I can work around it, just a bit of a pain... thanks anyways. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong... I run a session last night and it worked fine after I re-did the encounter placements. As it stands, I hit the button on the encounter to place tokens, and nothing is placed on any map level...but.....If i delete the pin from the bottom level and then drag the encounter and pin it to the top level, it works just fine...

I am aware of the 'tick' = placed 'token'= not placed .)

Trenloe
October 16th, 2019, 20:18
If i delete the pin from the bottom level and then drag the encounter and pin it to the top level, it works just fine...
That really shouldn't make any difference, the code doesn't look at what layer the pin used to open the encounter is on - it's not aware of that at all.

Please give an example of a LMoP encounter that doesn't work for you. There may be other issues at work, and it would be good to be looking at exactly the same encounter you're looking at.

Martin153
October 16th, 2019, 20:46
Ignore me.. It is working fine.. I must have been doing something wrong. I have tried it a few times now and it works fine. Sorry to waste your time...Thanks again for a great extension...

Trenloe
October 16th, 2019, 20:54
Ignore me..
OK, will do!

;) ;) ;)

MrDDT
October 16th, 2019, 23:32
CE is working great for me with LMOP and other bought modules.

I do wish there was a way to make all the pins on the top layer, but since I've used CE so long I'm used to going into the masking layer or GM layer and doing it from there.

Thanks again for everyone that worked on this, I hope unity picks up some of this stuff into the game itself.

DefaultDM
November 3rd, 2019, 19:00
Why do I not have any additional layer options?

Also how do you remove the Check mark and Cross from the icons when completed?

EDIT - So I figured out that other map extenchons brakes a few functions. Is there any way for this to be compatable with the Image Text Label Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33696-Image-Text-Label-Extension)

EDIT - I notice that when i pull up an image from a modal. All the pregenerated shared links are at the bottom layer an not accessible for the players, and there is no way to easily bring it to the front(play area). Is there a way to fix this?

MrDDT
November 4th, 2019, 15:16
Why do I not have any additional layer options?

Also how do you remove the Check mark and Cross from the icons when completed?

EDIT - So I figured out that other map extenchons brakes a few functions. Is there any way for this to be compatable with the Image Text Label Extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33696-Image-Text-Label-Extension)

EDIT - I notice that when i pull up an image from a modal. All the pregenerated shared links are at the bottom layer an not accessible for the players, and there is no way to easily bring it to the front(play area). Is there a way to fix this?

Unlock the map and click the d 20 icon at the top to clear it.
There is no ez way to change the layers of the Pre-made mods but you can open up the story and drag the pins right onto the top layer pretty fast.
I stopped using text label ext because it doesn't work with anything else that has more than one layer.
You can see if they change change the coding to work with combat enhancer classic. However with Unity coming out I doubt any major changes for them. I know this one is not being updated and he working on Unity only now.

michaelzep
November 4th, 2019, 20:50
Can you please update the front of this post with how to install. The folders do not look anything like the image.

Trenloe
November 4th, 2019, 21:27
Can you please update the front of this post with how to install. The folders do not look anything like the image.
Your FG app data directory folders should look very similar to the image in post #1 - the key ones being extensions and tokens. If it doesn’t look that that for you then please post a screenshot of your setup.