PDA

View Full Version : Disconnection/Reconnection during game - just started yesterday....

Mytherus
December 23rd, 2018, 22:25
Hi.

So I'm just brain storming right now on what could be the culprit. Its nothing to do with the port forwarding thing --- yes I had that issue at first, but that has been solved and working great for weeks now. I only started noticing this issue yesterday night (Sat 12/22) ; before then I don't recall ever disconnecting and reconnecting while joined to someone's server.

Last night I hooked up my 2nd computer (I test how a module works as the DM on my main system ; I use my laptop to simulate connecting as a player) -- this is when I first noticed it.

About every 5 minutes or so Disconnection.....Reconnected.....Disconnected.... Reconnected.... etc. It seems like the disconnects/reconnects happen fast enough that not all that much continuity is lost --- though occasionally there's a couple second delay.

It was late so I turned everything off , brushed it off and went to bed.

This morning I had a one-shot though and during the course of the 3 hours we played the DM got a "disconnected/reconnected" message from my client a total of 13 times.....THIRTEEN TIMES!

Nothing in my environment has changed. No hardware was changed or upgraded. No new software was installed. Router and Cable modem settings were not touched. It just started acting up last night and then again today.

So little has changed that about the only thing I know that's different NOW rather than before --- Fantasy Grounds was upgraded. That's the only chance of note that I can point to. The phenomenon only started AFTER the latest FG update which I believe was Friday when I ran it.

I play a campaign on Thursdays, I've not yet had this issue happen during my campaign.

If I test my connection with speed test --- stats are decent all the time......ca 460 Mb down / 35-40 Mb up (the one thing I hate about Comcast - their upstream speeds) -- latency is about 9-12 ms. Computer games seem to have no issue with my systems networking -- good fps no dropped connection.

With no smoking gun atm --- my problem is I don't even know where to look to troubleshoot the issue.

damned
December 23rd, 2018, 23:01
Wireless or LAN connection?
Turn on both computers.

Open 3 cmd prompts on each.
In the first windows on both type:

tracert 8.8.8.8 -t

In the second window on each type (replace 192.168.0.1 with your router IP):

tracert 192.168.0.1 -t (example)

In the third window use the IP address of the other computer:

tracert 192.168.0.7 -t (example)

See if you get any dropouts/timeouts. See which commands timeout and if more than one timesout at the same time

You will need to watch them for at least the 5mins...

Zacchaeus
December 23rd, 2018, 23:01
Such things can be caused by memory issues; by that I mean FG using too much memory. However the most recent update considerably addresses this issue. To test that you’d need to be connected to the game you mentioned and find out how much memory the client is using when FG is running.

The other thing is weak or intermittent internet connection, particularly spotty wi-fi. FG is particularly susceptible to packet loss. This is something you can test yourself by pinging a known location (try ping -n 20 8.8.8.8).