PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Core Pathfinder Ruleset missing so much?

DrTank09
December 23rd, 2018, 06:56
I just bought Fantasy Grounds and started up character creation for a pathfinder character. I noticed that 90% of what is publicly available through the open gaming license and is publicly listed as a part of the SRD is not included and must be purchased for automation. Is there a reason that this content isn't included?

damned
December 23rd, 2018, 07:02
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16074-List-of-Modules

DrTank09
December 23rd, 2018, 07:21
I saw this tread but didn't see what I was looking for at first. I was looking for archetypes for automation and then I noticed that it isn't listed separately just as OGL, I hope. Since the information isn't separated by system its hard to figure out what is and isn't for Pathfinder.

damned
December 23rd, 2018, 08:27
Much of the OGL free conversions were done pre the Paizo license. Some by SmiteWorks, most by the community.
Once the Paizo license became available and additional features added to the ruleset people have tended to stop doing these conversions and buy the licensed material.

Talyn
December 23rd, 2018, 13:35
As damned mentioned, the majority of community (OGL) DLC was made prior to Paizo licensing, often several years prior. When Paizo did license, a few additional automation scripts were added to the ruleset, so those DLC won't use it as the datapaths didn't exist when they were made. Even the SRD modules initially did not feature any automation for character creation until one of our community members took it upon himself to update them and allow SmiteWorks to include his changes in those .mod files for everyone.

Everything else, all the other books and adventure paths... these things take time. Only a few of the DLC Developers have been approved to work on official Paizo material, and those devs get to decide which book they want to tackle, and when.