PDA

View Full Version : LFP – 5e D&D – Lost Mine of Phandelver (Voice)

Mytherus
December 23rd, 2018, 04:12
**Beginner friendly DM / Beginner focused Campaign**

FG License: DM has ultimate
Time and Day : Eastern (UTC-5), Weds 7pm - 10pm
If new game, planned start date: (Session 1) –January 30th, 2019*

*Long notice is because I’m allowing time for prep sessions and I’m tailoring everything about this campaign to beginners – both to Fantasy Grounds and DnD 5e. That will probably take a long time to attract (serious) players.

Game System: D & D 5th edition, setting is Forgotten Realms
Planned Duration & Frequency: Weekly 3-hour sessions
Term: estimating 6-8 sessions (“normal” pace)
Text or Voice: Voice, possibly a little text
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? No.
Role play & Combat mix: 60/40 (This is purely estimation of course, but having reviewed the entire module this is my guess)
Number of Players needed: 4-5
Character starting level & equipment: 1st level, starting equipment rules as in PHB, if prep sessions are not used to create characters then the first session will be spent making characters (entirely – from selecting class, background, to gearing, etc.)
Character restrictions: PHB character classes and races

Player Requirements: Mic/Headset for voice communication and a free/demo copy of Fantasy Grounds installed

That’s all you need. Don’t worry about character creation material, I have the full D&D 5e PHB on my FG license and I’ll arrange for players to have access to my server to be able to use the PHB as needed to research anything they require for their character creation.

Other Information / Disclaimers:

This is my first DM venture with Fantasy Grounds* I’m not new to TT RPGs or being a DM. I am new to playing TT RPG over a computer. I came back to the hobby in the last couple months, before that I DM’d my last game in the 90’s. Please consider that information HEAVILY before you sign up, all players are welcome of course but both the material and my DM style will be tailored to beginners (especially first time Fantasy Ground players). Also – no rules lawyers!

***Prep Sessions (Optional/Read Below) – Available on Request Starting January 16th, 2019***

Prep Sessions (What they are for, how they work)

My purpose is to aid in helping things go smooth and efficient, so we can have the most fun on our adventure. To that end I am willing to hold “prep sessions” with players who request them / need them. These sessions can be as a group or one-on-one, whatever gets the job done and gets everyone comfortable, so we can hit the ground running on Session 1. I am not a master with Fantasy Grounds, I merely call myself an educated user who wants to help others that know less than me.

Topics/Tasks we can go over:

Basic Fantasy Ground Usage focused on a Player’s perspective

Character Creation (in-depth) (otherwise character creation will be Session 1)

Overview of D & D 5e player rules

Whatever you need help with as it relates to playing the game– let’s talk about it.

You can request to schedule a prep session within these guidelines:

Date: Between 1/16/19 and 1/29/19

Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays: Between 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm (eastern)

Saturday or Sunday: Between 10 am – 12 noon (eastern)

(Mondays and Thursdays I will not be doing prep sessions)

How to schedule: Send me a PM through these forums or through the discord (players that express interest on these forums will be sent the discord link if they are selected)

Link to Game calendar page: Coming soon (after we get closer to the date)

phuntimes
December 23rd, 2018, 05:07
I would be very interested in joining your game. I used to play 1st edition D&D back in the 80's and I am now looking to get back into role-playing using 5e (So I know the general idea but not the specifics of the latest edition). I am also new to Fantasy Grounds and have not used any "tabletop simulator". I would be interested in a prep session to detail out some thoughts on a possible character/background.

bgray21
December 23rd, 2018, 17:03
I would be interested in joining. I’ve played off and on since 3.5. I’m still a little new with fantasy grounds.

sfcspencer
December 23rd, 2018, 18:39
I would be interested, have played for many years.

Mytherus
December 24th, 2018, 16:32
Good Morning Everyone and thank you all for your expressed interested in my game. I've also had two others express interest via PM , so right now there's five players that have expressed interest. This is still "open enrollment" however, anyone can still express their interest.

We've got time, but the amount of interest is blowing me a way -- thank you. I am a realist, a lot can happen between now and scheduled session 1 which is just over a month away. So if you would be so kind as to just let me know if your interest level changes (feel free to shoot me a pm or post here -- I have this thread subscribed). If interest level really continues I'm not beyond moving up the start dates of both the prep sessions and session 1 either. My intention is that this week ("Holiday week") 12-24 thru 1/2/19 I probably won't bother you guys with anything. Enjoy the holidays. Around week 2 of January I'll circle back and any interest in the prep sessions we can possibly get those scheduled.

Phuntimes -- Your play history echoes my own. No worries --- We can discuss FG "mechanics" and dnd 5e rules in a prep session.

bgray21 - No worries. Just like Phuntimes we'll go over FG and dnd 5e rules....if you think you can make time for a prep session that would be a good time we can take care of such things. If you and Phuntimes are up to it we can find a session time that works for you to BOTH attend together as well. But totally up to you guys.

sfcspencer - Sounds good I'm assuming that means you know both FG and 5e well then? It would be nice to have someone on the team that could possibly even provide me direction if I flub something in FG. :)

Merry Christmas All.

Myth

DwightLee
December 25th, 2018, 01:53
As a fellow DM that ran LMoP recently ( a few months ago ) as my first foray into Fantasy Grounds as a DM, I wish you the very best of luck. You should have a blast, I added a lot to the adventure with alternate battle maps found on the net. There are quite a few good ones, like the one with the 2 dead horses :)

Mytherus
December 25th, 2018, 02:05
As a fellow DM that ran LMoP recently ( a few months ago ) as my first foray into Fantasy Grounds as a DM, I wish you the very best of luck. You should have a blast, I added a lot to the adventure with alternate battle maps found on the net. There are quite a few good ones, like the one with the 2 dead horses :)

Thank you. Yeah that's actually one of the things I enjoy about being a DM is adapting to the players decisions and adding "content" on the fly that may not have even been in the module.

Mytherus
December 26th, 2018, 02:51
Another update for those following the interest of this game and schedule... I got more folks expressing interest via PM so if all of you are firm in your desire so even in 4-5 weeks from now when session 1 "currently" is set to occur you are still "locked in" commitment wise than that means we have 6 players for a module suggested 4-5. BUT no one panic! I'll take 6 players. And even if some may think me odd for saying this I'd still encourage more to folks to sign up because you never know someone might have to bow out. IF we do wind up running with 6 players I probably will tune up the encounters a bit so its not a walk in the park for the party. The trick for me there is they might have to be tuned up on the fly since if I pre-tune everything this far before our game starts....and if we only have 4 players going in Session 1--- well then the module is now overturned for 4 players. I'm not complaining --- just explaining what it takes on my part.

That said ....this is what I'm going to do --- I'm going by date time stamps of those who expressed interested -- right now as of 12/25 9:29 pm (eastern) that means all 6 players who expressed interested I'm accepting as "the roster" for our game -- you are all in. I will be sending out a mass PM to all six players very soon - to just take all the guess word out of who got accepted (since some players were PM only so just who wrote on this forum post).

any others who express interest after this post here this line on is especially for you -> Thank you for your interest would you mind being on our "alternate" list of players in case someone drops out? That's the question I ask those players. As you can see I'm putting it all right here -- public forums , totally transparent which is how I like to run my games.

The last order of business is to clear up some misunderstanding -- I appreciate that many of us (myself included) are on Christmas vacation this week, I am *NOT* holding any prep sessions for sure this week and I wasn't planning doing any before 1/16 at all. But tell you what if more than one of you will agree to join in on one together (the same session) - I'll work to get one going before 1/16 then because its more than one person meeting at the same time, that's like you guys are helping me out (it still has to confirm to original rules of only 6:30p - 9:30p Tue, Wed, Fri. *OR* Sat/Sun 10a-noon. I can't budge on the Monday or Thursdays thing -- prior obligations those days.

Thank you all for your understanding and cooperation it is and will continue to be -- greatly appreciated. I hope your Christmas day was a good one.

Theolddawg
December 26th, 2018, 03:02
I'd be happy to join your game, completely new player, so I wouldn't be super adept.

Would like to play a human wizard, because magic is cool.

Aniond
December 26th, 2018, 07:25
Im interested as well. Half - Elf Druid

Aftermath89
December 26th, 2018, 23:52
Me and a friend of mine are intrested we are both pretty experienced with fg he dms a game and maybe could help you out as things move along if needed let me know thanks

Mytherus
December 27th, 2018, 02:37
I was just doing a random check in on this forum ...between the forum and new PM's by my current math there's now been 10 people that expressed interested in this game --- just incredible.

With six players having now been extended a formal invitation to join the campaign (it was done via PMs that's why you don't see it here) -- any folks expressing interest outside of those six players would form the list of alternates I'd go to should the need arise to back fill any spots that would be vacated by any of the current party members. (I really hate not being able to take everyone into my game -- just so you know for me its one of the parts that does suck a bit with being in the DM role --- turning people away from your game is a bummer.)

Always thinking ahead...and taking advantage of more eyes being on this game post than I had expected -- I will just say my DM plans with FG are to keep going even beyond this LMoP campaign ...my games will ALWAYS be beginner player friendly. (Yes even with the more robust modules that level characters 1-15).

So if you don't get into this module , stay tune and look for my user name --- I'll probably be posting for a new campaign Mid-March or there about.

DwightLee
December 27th, 2018, 12:30
You have a group! The mods and extensions I found most helpful were.. Big Fonts, Message of the Day (MOTD ), Mood Lighting, and the really huge one for me was DOE, as I use Syrenscape over Discord. Best of luck to you in your game

Mytherus
December 28th, 2018, 00:56
You have a group! The mods and extensions I found most helpful were.. Big Fonts, Message of the Day (MOTD ), Mood Lighting, and the really huge one for me was DOE, as I use Syrenscape over Discord. Best of luck to you in your game

Thank you sir. Where might I learn more about those mods you mentioned? I appreciate the information.

blkdrgn18
January 4th, 2019, 19:50
I'm interested in playing an elven wizard