PDA

View Full Version : Launch Error after 3.3.7 Update on Mac

DJL73
December 22nd, 2018, 12:54
I've been running FG on a MaBook Pro for a couple months now, but after the latest update I can no longer get it to run.

The update seems to complete correctly, but then when the FG restarts to return to the launch screen I get the Error loading data popup with the Error: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml) message. Clicking yes to reload data does nothing and clicking no closes the program.

I've searched through the forums and have tried the suggestions I've found:
- Deleted the various ruleset.pak files and run the updater through Wineskin
- Deleted launcher.pak and run FGUpdaterEngine.exe through Wineskin
- Uninstalled FG and completed a full clean installation
- Tried installing the SteamDemo version and had the same error show up

Once I run the update, the error always pops up before I get to the launch screen.

Suggestions on next steps to take to try and resolve this?

DJL73
December 22nd, 2018, 14:18
I got this figured out. It seemed to be a file permissions issue. I'm not sure why it chose to pop up on this particular update vs. previous ones, but all is OK now.

ddavison
December 22nd, 2018, 15:27
Do you mind sharing what you had to do in order to correct the issue?

DJL73
December 22nd, 2018, 16:08
My daughter runs FG on that computer and I had originally run the update while logged in under her profile. It dawned on me that she doesn’t have full admin rights so I reloaded everything under my admin profile to get things working and then made sure that she had full read/write access to all the FG files and directories.

I’m not sure which file or folder was causing the issue, but with full read/write rights now everything is working correctly under her profile.

Love the macs, but they can complicate life - especially when running non-native content.

Bidmaron
December 22nd, 2018, 21:46
Welcome to FG and the forums, DJL73, and Merry Christmas!