PDA

View Full Version : Text Formatting

Frumious Jabberwock
December 19th, 2018, 19:22
Is there a way to strip out the italics of the GM's text bubbles in the main chat box?

I know you can't do it without tinkering with the ruleset or an extension (why, I have no idea; god forbid you want to add emphasis to text in a text-based RPG tabletop), but I know I've seen this done before.

As an aside, is it easy to remove the text bubble graphic altogether? I've noticed a few older rulesets seem to be able to do it, but with my primitive coding skills I couldn't figure out how they managed with the convoluted way most of them are written.

damned
December 19th, 2018, 21:41
I really dont understand your question...?
You want to strip out Italics and this is called emphasizing text?
You want to remove the bubble and that is emphasizing text?
Im sorry - Im not following...

Frumious Jabberwock
December 20th, 2018, 17:48
I really dont understand your question...?
You want to strip out Italics and this is called emphasizing text?
You want to remove the bubble and that is emphasizing text?
Im sorry - Im not following...

Yeah, sorry, I threw a lot into that post and didn't communicate well. There were three separate points to it that I sort of squished together.

1.) I would like to change the GM's text in the chat box so that it's just bold, rather than bold and italic. I figured out how to add an effect by looking at extensions that change the fonts, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove an existing one; aka, the italics for the GM's speech text.

2.) I would like to know how to remove the text bubble graphic from everyone's chat responses. It's not a big deal, I was just wondering how difficult it was since I've seen some older rulesets that had managed it.

3.) Last but not least, I was pointing out that I know the software doesn't support various basic text effects in the chat box while actively playing. The reason I mentioned that was two-fold: First, it'd be nice to be able to emphasize specific words or phrases in a bit of text. Second, it just seemed to be a gross oversight on the software's part seeing as how it is very much a text-based bit of software, and I was commenting on that as a sort of mini side rant. Mostly because I was a little frustrated at the time at trying to figure point #1 out. :)

Hector Trelane
December 20th, 2018, 20:13
I'm not aware of any solutions that you're asking for, but you can get workarounds using the various text formatting options available to GMs from Story entries -- see page 15 of the User's Manual (link below).
You can also have players hit Alt or Ctrl for non-bubble text--see page 43-44 of the User's Manual.

Here's the User's Manual: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsUserManual.pdf

damned
December 20th, 2018, 22:39
So you can change the font definitions in:

graphics/graphics_fonts.xml - define new format for the existing definitions
changeing the bold/italic to actually just use a bold font is the easiest but would also effect any bold/italic text elsewhere

Or you could change the default behaviour for Chat (this would be harder) but more precise
This will require some xml diving

For the speech bubble - locate teh graphic, create a blank/transparent png image of the same size and then redefine the chat bubble frame to use your new graphic
There are three types of chat frames

<framedef name="chatframe_chat">
<bitmap file="graphics/frames/chatframe_chat.png" />
<offset>17,17,7,7</offset>
</framedef>
<framedef name="chatframe_story">
<bitmap file="graphics/frames/chatframe_story.png" />
<offset>18,18,17,17</offset>
</framedef>
<framedef name="chatframe_whisper">
<bitmap file="graphics/frames/chatframe_whisper.png" />
<offset>17,17,7,7</offset>