PDA

View Full Version : Connection history does not retain the alias, only the IPs

Valyar
December 19th, 2018, 09:38
All my players have inconvenience with the way they connect to me:

I have dynamic IP on the router and I alias for the connection. The players run Windows and Mac version of the client. Everything is fine until the next session, where the Connection history part in "Join Game" menu does not remember the alias. This is very frustrating as they have to type the alias every time. They were running 3.3.6 up until today.

Is this something addressed in 3.3.7 if it is known bug?

PS: On the other hand, when I connect to games I keep the alias...

Zacchaeus
December 19th, 2018, 10:45
I've noticed this too; some users that I join the alias remains in the list and other times it is converted to the IP address. I don't know if it's a bug or something that is expected depending on the way the users network is set up.

Valyar
December 19th, 2018, 11:09
As usual, we flushed the player cache, connection strings and even reinstalled. Still occurs.

The way their client connect is so different that there is no common denominator - they are from different countries and/or ISPs and use Wi-Fi, 3g/4g and land line adsl to connect. Routers are different, nothing except they have the same issue and same version of Fantasy Grounds :D

Andraax
December 19th, 2018, 12:22
The client only saves the IP address if the GM has a password set on the campaign. If there is no password, the alias is saved.

Valyar
December 19th, 2018, 12:48
The client only saves the IP address if the GM has a password set on the campaign. If there is no password, the alias is saved.

Ha! This must be it... I set password for all games after I read post about the non-uniqueness of the aliases and the ability for someone to join and etc. I think it really occurred after I did this, but because for the fire few sessions I was abroad and routing via cloud server and they connected via IP... nobody noticed

I consider this a bug though.

Andraax
December 19th, 2018, 13:20
I don't bother using passwords. For the (very few) times when someone unknown has connected, I just ask them to leave and if they don't, I kick them. It's so rare, however, that I think it's only happened like 3 times in 4+ years.