PDA

View Full Version : Our First AD&D 2e game

tdwyer11b
August 2nd, 2006, 07:42
Wheras the caravan the PC's are charged with protecting comes under an ambush. But they're not after the goods, it actually a kidnapping and foul magic is at play while the PC's are distracted by a horde of goblin. Went really well, the players took the beating with a smile and look forward to the next session (can't say the same for the NPC Ranger, he was sittin at -9 HP by the end of the skirmish). Man I love this stuff. Thought I'd share.

https://img238.imageshack.us/img238/4984/screenshot0004go1.png

Jingo
August 2nd, 2006, 21:31
Hah! Sounds like fun! Good lookin' mod! Thanks for the screenshot. Hey what software do you use for doing your maps? I have CC2 Pro but it's too complicated most of the time. Usually I just want some simple maps that I can nearly create on the fly. I would love FG to add more to their mapping. Allowing us to put terrain features etc would be really cool.

Anwyay, all those goblins in your screen shot... :o They remind me of our group's 3.5 d20 FG adventure last night. (I'm GMing a continued a side adventure leading up to the free "The Wizards Amulet" adventure.)

My group has three PCs all at lvl 2. One of them couldn't connect at all for some weird reason, so he was the one who got 'captured' by a couple of goblin gangs. The other two (lvl 2 Monk and lvl 2 psionic warrior) tracked them into the mountains and made their way into the goblin cave to save him.

They had a climactic fight with a goblin king (albeit a very minor one). They managed to take out the king, but not before the Monk took 12 HPs from the big honcho king and nearly bled to death.

Both players survived, but in the end it was a close thing.
Good times!

I love FG when it works! I'll love it even more once connection problems get worked out... :rolleyes:

Snikle
August 2nd, 2006, 22:42
tdwyer11b, glad to see your game went well! Perhaps I will throw up a screenshoot after my game on thursday as well. Maybe we could get a screenshot thread up here on the forums to show off our games.....devs?

tdwyer11b
August 3rd, 2006, 05:10
Hey what software do you use for doing your maps? I have CC2 Pro but it's too complicated most of the time. Usually I just want some simple maps that I can nearly create on the fly.

I'm using NBOS Fractal Mapper. I'm still trying to get used to it, but sofar it's working out pretty well. I'm also looking at Dundjinni, mostly because I like the realism in the maps it makes. I've been fortunate in that I haven't had any connection probs whatsoever. I'm running with a firewall up but I don't connect to the net through a router, however a few of my players do.

Maybe we could get a screenshot thread up here on the forums to show off our games.....devs?.

That would be a great idea Snikle, think it would help the other DM's out there get the creative juices flowing. Now I just gotta get some of those sweet tokens from FUM, make things really pretty instead of having to use the "G" tokens for my goblin. :cool:

Oberoten
August 3rd, 2006, 06:39
For those of us on a budget I'd recomend Autorealm, it is freeware and works with vector graphics but can still export as bitmap.

richvalle
August 3rd, 2006, 11:46
That would be a great idea Snikle, think it would help the other DM's out there get the creative juices flowing. Now I just gotta get some of those sweet tokens from FUM, make things really pretty instead of having to use the "G" tokens for my goblin. :cool:

For those needing free tokens I just grab the monster image off the Wizards of the Coasts website and crop it down to the right size. Then when I need 10 of those critters I drop them out and number them.

Not as good as FUM's tokens but free (not counting time invested).

rv

tdwyer11b
August 4th, 2006, 19:35
tdwyer11b, glad to see your game went well! Perhaps I will throw up a screenshoot after my game on thursday as well. Maybe we could get a screenshot thread up here on the forums to show off our games.....devs?

Hope your guys game went well, while I know it wasn't a promise you'd show a screenshot I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see all those outstanding maps and tokens in action :D .

richvalle
August 4th, 2006, 19:55
Hmm, ok, ok. I took a screenshot after my game last night. How do I put it into a thread?

rv

tdwyer11b
August 4th, 2006, 19:57
Hmm, ok, ok. I took a screenshot after my game last night. How do I put it into a thread?

rv

Use image shack to host the image then copy the direct link then insert it into the post using the insert picture function.

richvalle
August 4th, 2006, 20:01
Ok. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

demonsbane
August 4th, 2006, 20:04
Hi Richvalle:

You can do this, for instance:

1º Open a free acount in https://s95.photobucket.com/

2º Upload the screenshot as a JPG image, for instance. Not a great size.

3º In your post at the forum, go to your Album, to the image you wish to put here, and copy the line starting with [IMG], entirely. Then do you put that prhase and the image is displayed here in your post because you put a link to your album.

I hope have been clear.

Greetings,
Demonsbane

richvalle
August 4th, 2006, 20:22
Good enough I think demonsband! :)

Thanks!

rv

Snikle
August 4th, 2006, 21:42
Since we haven't heard a word rfom the official FG guys, I started a thread over at FUM, you can see the screenshot from my game last night there.

https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/fumcomm/viewtopic.php?t=481

richvalle
August 5th, 2006, 00:43
Ok, lets try this.

Its not the best screen shot. I pulled back to get a screenshot of everyone position. The drawed in thing with all the circles on it is a table. It became a bunker as more then half the party dove under it while the Chokers flew around overhead.

https://www.wideopenwest.com/~rvalle/screen.jpg

Lets go for two. This is one I took a while back before a big fight with Shadows. The Ogre icon is a Shadow of an Ogre... it was a tough fight. :)

https://www.wideopenwest.com/~rvalle/ShadowKing.JPG

tdwyer11b
August 6th, 2006, 06:35
hehe, you must have a much steadier hand than me. When I mask off areas it ain't pretty:p

demonsbane
August 6th, 2006, 14:52
IMHO very good screenshots, tdwyer11b, Richvalle, Snikle.

I like all screenshots posted in the thread.

I think sharing some of them can be somewhat a motivational enhancement for the Fantasy Grounds community, so I would like to see a lot of more!
Really.

Demonsbane

---
Demons Band? LOL Richvale :rolleyes:

Jingo
August 11th, 2006, 17:30
Wow Richvalle. 5 Players... and all those shadowy thingeys... they look like alien grays. :)

How do you manage a combat that size? We had a two on two combat last night and it seemed to last forever. I shudder to think how long something like what your screenshot shows would last...

I have a couple of questions not really related to screenshots but things I thought of after seeing the screenshots.

1) Is there a way to place a token in a masked portion of a map and keep it masked from the players until you unmask it? From my tests I couldn't figure this out.

2) Is there a way to remask a portion of an unmasked map?

Show more screenshots! These are fun!

richvalle
August 11th, 2006, 18:00
Those Shadowy thingies were Shadows. The one with red on him was 'The Shadow King': a Greater Shadow.

That fight took a long time. 4 hours or more. It ended with the heros making a stratigic withdraw to regroup and come back the next day.

Per your questions:

1. No but its been asked for. What you can do is add a pin to the map and use it in place of a token. I do this for invisable creatures (or shadows that have hopped into a wall :) ).

2. No.

I forgot to take a screen shot last night. No game next week so I'll try to take another in the near future.