PDA

View Full Version : Problem connecting, either as player or GM

Salar
August 1st, 2006, 10:33
Hi all,
First post and unfortunately it's with a problem. While FG looks fabulous, i'm having alot of trouble connecting. I can open up FG as a GM, but no one else can connect to me as players and if i try to open up FG as a player logging in to my own pc it continually states unable to connect.
I've searched far and wide on these forums and have done the following
1: Removed Panda firewall & antivirus.
2: Set up my Netgear DG834G Router to open & recognise ports 1802-1803 as being used by fantasy grounds.
3: Rebooted the entire system.
All of the above were after many hours online with a techy friend and many searches of these fine forums. Yet, still no joy.
I am running XP sp2 on an AMD Athlone 3000 with 512MB RAM via my Netgear router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
John

Salar
August 1st, 2006, 10:53
I've checked via PCflank, and port 1802 is open & stealthed. I'm currently using Kaspersky 6 AV & Windows firewall.

Salar
August 1st, 2006, 10:54
Re my last. I've tried with windows f/wall both active and inactive...same result, unable to connect. check the address.

Salar
August 1st, 2006, 11:05
Strangerer and strangerer! When windows firewall is active, port 1802 shows as stealthy & when the firewall is inactive it's showing as closed. Aargh! I hate computers!

joshuha
August 1st, 2006, 15:15
What kind of modem do you have? Sometimes even modems nowadays have their own built in firewall/NAT filters that you might have to bypass before it even gets to your router. Unless your router is a combination modem/router than opening it there should work.

Salar
August 1st, 2006, 17:38
All sorted. Myself and another convert to FG spent about 10 hours via MSN messenger trying to resolve this. Basically, by the looks of things the important things are...
No Panda (or any other type of software firewall)
Ensure port forwarding rules on the modem (Netgear DG834G) are consistent and actually make sense.
Really important that windows firewall off.
And now we're cooking with gas...

richvalle
August 1st, 2006, 18:02
Wohoo!

Game time.

rv

Salar
August 1st, 2006, 20:08
We had a cracking couple of hours just playing around with the interface. What a joy to use! I must say my 17" monitor looks very congested compared to on his 19" monitor. I'd never thought of 'needing' a 19" monitor before....

Griogre
August 1st, 2006, 20:26
Nothing much to add, except I believe you are the second person who used panda that seem to have a lot of trouble. You might want to consider a different anti-virus/security.

If you can stand it, you really should configure the firewall to work with FG instead of cutting it off.

I have to tell you FG still looks cluttered on my 19" when I am running but at least I can run it in 1280x1024 and see it.

kalmarjan
August 1st, 2006, 21:47
LOL

Try a 15 inch monitor. :)

Sandeman

Kalan
August 2nd, 2006, 01:14
LOL

Try a 15 inch monitor. :)

Sandeman

Gah...that's just painful...

I finally got around to adjustin the resolution on my 17" to fit more stuff on the screen...tho now I can really really see the appeal of a 19"...

Maybe when I move to Denmark next year...

Jingo
August 2nd, 2006, 16:43
I hope my players can get their connection problems worked out. :confused: I just posted our group's connection problem's here in case what you did Salar can help us out:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4704

Anyway, glad you were able to get it working! FG is a blast. I have 1 15" monitor (old hp laptop) and hooked up a second 15" monitor. Two monitors are the way to go! It's actually livable with two! :)

Alarian
August 4th, 2006, 15:27
I have a 24" Widescreen and FG looks just beautiful on that! :)

richvalle
August 4th, 2006, 16:00
2 17" screens here. I'm trying out DM Genie on the 2nd screen with FG on the first. Had my first game that way last night and it worked out well.

Jingo
August 11th, 2006, 17:01
What do you use DM Genie for? I've never used that app.