PDA

View Full Version : Question about monster and class packs

aroich5
December 12th, 2018, 18:41
Wondering how the monster packs and class packs work?
Are they worth getting?
Can other people that join my game benefit from my class packs?
Whats so good about monster packs when I already have over 1000 tokens and monster manual?

any advise please

Thanks

New and Becoming DM on FG
Brandon

Trenloe
December 12th, 2018, 18:52
They are a subset of the data from the PHB (for class packs) and the MM (for monster packs). They are just a way to get a specific set of data if you didn't want to buy the whole PHB or MM.

They work exactly the same way as other modules - the GM can share the player specific stuff with players (if the GM owns it) or allow a player to access their own modules. Players can't share modules with other players.

aroich5
December 12th, 2018, 19:01
So Since I own all the core books there is no need to get the class packs then correct?

Thanks again for the info.
Also will take any recommendations on the other Map packs or extensions to get for 5E

Zacchaeus
December 12th, 2018, 19:11
What extensions you use or what map packs you need or want are subjective and up to what you need/want for your campaign. If you are going to be playing any published modules those will have all the stuff you need. If you are going to be creating your own stuff then you may want to investigate the map packs in the store.

aroich5
December 12th, 2018, 19:14
Yea I was curious if some people had some favorites but thanks. Answer were helpful

LordEntrails
December 12th, 2018, 19:21
So Since I own all the core books there is no need to get the class packs then correct?
Correct.

Also will take any recommendations on the other Map packs or extensions to get for 5E
I suggest you don't use any extensions. Learn FG first, then see what you need/want to add as you will use it. Maybe one of the big fonts might be needed, or one of the DOE extensions etc. But wait until you feel you would use them. You have enough to learn with just the base FG, no need to throw more on you or your players.

If you mean DLC, it depends what game systems you are playing. It sound like D&D 5E. I like Volos and Xanathar's, but depends on what you want/need/will use.

As for Map packs... I'm not big on those, I do own a few to support the artists, but I usually run purchased adventures which include most maps, and supplemental maps are can be found online, or I create my own with CC3+. You might like some of the token packs, but since I "grew up" just using different color d5 die to represent different monsters, I don't worry much about graphic tokens for every monster.

Trenloe
December 12th, 2018, 19:24
...but since I "grew up" just using different color d5 die to represent different monsters...
Funky! How did they work? ;)

LordEntrails
December 12th, 2018, 19:27
Funky! How did they work? ;)
Well, as long as you remembered that the medium sized green d6s were orcs and the large sized green d6 were trolls, and the small white d6 were kobolds... :)

Trenloe
December 12th, 2018, 19:30
Well, as long as you remembered that the medium sized green d6s were orcs and the large sized green d6 were trolls, and the small white d6 were kobolds... :)
Awwww.... now you're using d6's. It sounded much more funky when you were using d5's! :D

Zacchaeus
December 12th, 2018, 19:30

Yeah, but you said you were using d5's, which was what Trenloe is jibbing you about :)

LordEntrails
December 12th, 2018, 19:50
Yeah, but you said you were using d5's, which was what Trenloe is jibbing you about :)
Oh yea, well I read what I meant to write, not what I actually wrote :)

But "they" actually do make a d5, here's one style (not sure it's equally random, but.)
https://www.gamescience.com/Gamescience-Cobalt-d5--Five-Sided-Die--Plain_p_623.html

Trenloe
December 12th, 2018, 19:59
DCC has all of the funky dice!

https://goodman-games.com/store/product/dungeon-crawl-classics-alamanters-extraspacial-angularities-copy/

Bidmaron
December 12th, 2018, 23:59
Wow. Who knew?

Xemit
December 13th, 2018, 17:24
Some RPGs use what is called a Dice Chain for their game mechanics. Instead of modifiers on the standard RPG dice, the die itself changes. For example, on damage die, 'advantage' would bump you from a D8 to a D9 and 'disadvantage' down to a D7.

The DCC link above shows a typical Die Chain, but it has gaps. Often they will include all integers from D3 on up to D20, and optionally just the even integers on up to D30. An example: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/674003445/d20-d30-rpg-and-dcc-dice-chain-sets-new-d17-d19-d2 or https://www.amazon.com/12-unusual-dice-set-black/dp/b00yluqteg

This gives a 'true' range of 1 to N for any roll. Whereas a 1D8+1 is 2 to 9 and a D9 is 1 to 9. There are arguments for choosing either mechanic, as long as the rules are developed accordingly, it doesn't really matter.

Dice chains are hard to find at your local game store, but easy enough to find online, but they are also more pricy than a standard RPG die set, but you are also buying more dice in a set (19 or more instead of 7 or more).