PDA

View Full Version : Druid Wild Shapes (for 5E)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Minty23185Fresh
December 8th, 2018, 15:41
THIS EXTENSION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

As of late September 2023 I've not played D&D in over a year now.
It's doubtful that I will return in the near future.
Currently I have no interest, nor time, to maintain it.

This extension automates the Druid's Wild Shape Feature: substituting a selected beast's stats for that of the Druid while the Druid is "Wild Shaped".

STOP!! ## Before downloading and trying to use this extension
READ, UNDERSTAND and be willing to COMPLY with the instructions and limitations
stated in posts #2 through #5 of this thread. ## STOP!!

The current version of this extension is v0.1.5, dated Nov 22, 2022.

FGU users can subscribe to receive automated updates of this extension in the Forge (here (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/623/view)).

This extension is not available for FGC.

If you have problems, issues, comments or requests please let me know.

Minty23185Fresh
December 8th, 2018, 15:42
The Quick Version
--To Wild Shape your character: Drag the little shield link at the upper left of the NPC stat sheet on to the Name field on your Druid's character sheet.
-- To Reverse or Revert the Wild Shaped Druid: Right click on the Druid's Name field on the character sheet and choose Revert on the radial menu (about 5:00 o'clock).

The Long Version
About four years ago I decided to play a Half Elf Circle of the Moons Druid in an upcoming Tomb of Annihilation campaign. After searching the Fantasy Grounds Forums it became apparent that the then current methodology of effecting Wild Shapes was less than appealing to me. It seemed as though most players took the beast's stat block and modified it to have the appropriate Druid stats. Rather than having to modify dozens of monster stat blocks in preparation for what I might want my Druid to Wild Shape into I decided an extension was needed to allow on the fly Wild Shaping.

This extension rather than relying on premodified monster stat blocks allows the user to drag the link from the monster's stat block or from the NPC library on to the character sheet. It modifies the appropriate Druid's statistics to reflect those of the adopted Wild Shape. Using a context menu the user can revert back to the Druid's normal statistics. One in-play advantage of this methodology is character tokens don't have to be swapped on the map nor Wild Shape (monsters) need to be ad-hoc added and removed from the Combat Tracker.

In each of the following three screenshot panels I have captured three subwindows from Fantasy Grounds. In the left-most portion of each screenshot is the Druid's character sheet prior to using Wild Shape. The center portion of each has an example beast that the Druid is assuming the shape of. And the right-most portion of each screenshot has the resultant Druid's character sheet depicted after assuming the beast's form. (Note that some statistics in the Giant Weasel stat block have been modified for illustrative purposes, e.g. the Giant Weasel does not usually have a Dex +5 Saving Throw.)

As indicated in red drag the link from the desired beast's NPC stat block on to the upper portion of the character sheet to cause the Druid to assume the beast's statistics. The link can instead be dragged from the NPC Library if desired. (Do not drop the NPC on the portrait, this causes an error to be thrown by Fantasy Grounds!) Note the Druid's name change - the text is taken from the Non-identified NPC name field if it is present, otherwise the Name of the beast. This indicates to the player that his/her Druid is in Wild Shape form. To revert back right-click in the same area and a context menu comes up. Choose the Revert option (at the 5:00 position).

As circled in blue note the adoption of the beast's Armor Class (AC).

The Hit Points (HP) have been circled in green. The extension places the Beast's hit points in the TMP HP portion of the Druid's character sheet. This provides for an auto-revert capability. When the TMP HP go to zero the extension will automatically revert your Wild Shaped Druid. Any TMP HP that the Druid might have prior to Wild Shaping (in this example, 3) are not lost, they are just held in reserve and restored upon revert.
(I learned this cute trick, of using the TMP HP, on the forums, I can't find it right now, but I plan to properly credit it when I come across it again.)

The Beast's Speed, circled in tan, is added, verbatim, to the Special Move field on the Druid's character sheet. (If the beast had a fly, swim, etc., move they would be shown here.) The Speed field on the character sheet has been reduced to zero using a negative speed bonus adjustment - another indicator that the Druid is currently Wild Shaped.

The ability scores, circled in dark red are appropriately rolled over from the monster's stat block to the character sheet. Per the Wild Shape description in the Player's Handbook (PHB), the Druid adopts the strength, dexterity and constitution abilities, but retains it own intelligence, wisdom and charisma ability scores. The ability bonuses are recalculated and display appropriately, affecting the Ability Checks and Saving Throws. Proficiencies are also handled per the Wild Shapes' specification in the PHB. (I'll discuss these in more detail below, related to the Skills.) Note the Saving Throw Values for strength (unchanged), dexterity (now +5) and constitution (highly reduced).

Any Senses other than "passive Perception" are placed in the Special Senses field (circled in orange). The passive Perception field on the Wild Shaped character sheet appears as though it is in error because it does not match the value stated in the Giant Weasel's stat block, but it is actually correct. This will become apparent with the discussion of proficiencies below.

Circled in purple are two characteristics that are not specifically depicted on the character sheet, the Beast's size which is reflected on the Notes tab of the character sheet and Languages, shown on the Abilities tab.

Circled in red on this screen shot are the Beast's Traits and Actions. Both are added to a special "Actions - Wild Shape" Power Group on the character sheet's Actions Tab. I purposely did this because some Traits have parsable actions within their description and it is handy to have all the ad-hoc NPC abilities in one place, rather than having to remember to flip back and forth between the Abilities and Actions tabs for NPC characteristics that I might not remember exist. When the Wild Shaped Druid reverts the powers are removed from the group but an empty "Actions - Wild Shape" Group remains in place.

In the next post to this thread I'll cover Skills.

Minty23185Fresh
December 8th, 2018, 15:42
First a note about "Statistics": The Druid Wild Shapes specification in the Players' Handbook mentions "game statistics". I had no idea exactly what those were until I listened to Jeremy Crawford (of Wizards of the Coast) Sage Advice interview in an April 2017 Dragon Talk podcast. I learned of the podcast from a post (#5) by Nickademus in this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38768-Druid-Wild-Shape-and-Proficiency-increases). Mr. Crawford states that "statistics" simply means the monster's stat block. I.e. a Druid adopting a Wild Shape takes on all the data, statistics, of the Beast's stat block. There are applied per the guidelines in the Wild Shape explanation in the Druid class definition.

Second a note about "proficiencies" as they are applied to a Wild Shape. On page 8 of the current version of the Monster Manual, the Skills and Saving Throws statistics of a monster are a bonus that "is the sum of a monster's relevant
ability modifier and its proficiency bonus".

The Giant Weasel, used in my example screenshots, has a Dexterity score of 16 and a Wisdom score of 12. The respective ability bonuses are +3 and +1. Its Skills are Stealth + 5 and Perception +3. Subtracting the ability bonuses results in proficiency bonuses of Stealth +2 and Perception +2.

The Druid character that I have provided for this discussion has the following Skill proficiencies:
Animal Handling +2, Arcana +4, Insight +1 and Investigation +2 (these are atypical and used for illustration purposes).

The Wild Shaped Druid has the composite ability (and bonus) values of:
STR 11(+0), DEX 16(+3), CON 10(+0) INT 10(+0) WIS 17 (+3) and CHA 8(-1)

Because there are no Skills that both my Druid and the Giant Weasel are proficient in we needn't address the issue of which proficiency is higher, but that's a relatively easy exercise. Tthe total Skill bonuses (ability + proficiency), for the Skills that have proficiencies are:
Animal Handling (Wis) +2 (+3) = +5
Arcana (Int) +4 (+0) = +4
Insight (Wis) +1 (+3) = +4
Investigation (Int) +2 (+0) = +2
Perception (Wis) +2 (+3) = +5
Stealth (Dex) +2 (+3) = +5

For those Skills without proficiencies the total Skill Bonus is simply the same as the corresponding ability bonus.

Close examination of the following screenshot will indicate that all Skills have the appropriately calculated Skill Bonuses.
Notice that those Skills which have proficiencies applied due to the Beast have "misc" adjustments (as circled in red) and those Skills that have proficiencies attributed to the Druid have no such adjustment (circled in orange). Restated, the Druid based proficiencies use the proficiency selector on the far left of the window, while the Beast based proficiencies use the "misc" field.

One other item to tie up, the passive Proficiency on the Main tab of the character sheet, partially addressed in the previous post is proven to be correct (10 + the Perception bonus of +5).

The reader is encouraged to work through the Saving Throws, in a similar manner, if they wish.

As minor enhancements are added I'll refer to any appropriate posted documentation in the Versioning Information (post 4 of this thread).

Minty23185Fresh
December 8th, 2018, 15:43
Version:
Nov 22, 2022 - v0.1.5 - changes to ruleset by Smiteworks required a patch (sse post #453)
Jul 17, 2022 - v0.1.4 - several changes to ruleset by Smiteworks required a patch
Jun 01, 2022 - v0.1.3 - fixed asynchronous timing display issue (see post #391)
Apr 21, 2022 - v0.1.2 - minor extension.xml changes for better Forge support
Apr 21, 2022 - v0.1.1 - discontinued support for FGC
Apr 03, 2022 - v0.1.0 - Fixed collision with LDTE & no WS restrictions option (see post #367)
Feb 16, 2022 - v0.0.14 - One extension that works with both FGU and FGC.
Mar 31, 2020 - v0.0.12 B FGU - quick fix for Fantasy Grounds Unity (FGU), see post #195
Nov 20, 2019 - v0.0.11 - quick fix/patch see posts 135, 136, 138-141
Jun 16, 2019 - v0.0.10 - enhanced NPC sharing (posts 122 & 123)
Mar 05, 2019 - v0.0.8 - level checking, Primal Strike (post 95)
Feb 23, 2019 - v0.0.7 - HP/dmg revised, HD/heal support, avg/rnd/max hp (post 84)
Jan 08, 2019 - v0.0.6 - Token swapping (in GM and player instances (post 36)
Jan 07, 2019 - v0.0.5 - Elemental Wild Shapes, +/- token swapping (posts 33 & 34)
Dec 08, 2018 - v0.0.4 - initial release

Minty23185Fresh
December 8th, 2018, 16:56
Caveats (known issues that might never be fixed)
[ISSUE] Pay particular attention to Extension Interactions and the Copyright, below.
[ISSUE] Extra rage damage not applied for raging, wild shaped, Barbarian/Druid (multiclass). See discussion with Thirsterhall, posts 8-23.
[ISSUE] Incompatible with the Effects Handling Enhancement extension. Will investigate. Though it does appear as though that extension might not be compatible with the current FG version (see post 27 of this thread).

Known Issues (issues/bugs that I plan to address)
[ISSUE] Doesn't auto-revert if the Wild Shaped Druid becomes unconscious (and still has TMP HP)
[ISSUE] NEW 02/13/20 User defined powers, that reside in the default “Powers” group, are reassigned to the “Actions - Wild Shape” powers group, the fist time the PC Wild Shapes. And then deleted when the “Actions - Wild Shape” group is cleared during revert. (see post #174)

Fixes/Upgrades (items that have been addressed)
[ISSUE] Incorrect/inconsistent AC, timing issue (see post #391).
[ISSUE] Fantasy Grounds Unity (FGU) is not fully supported. Remedied in April of 2020.
[ISSUE] The erroneous error message "Functionality only allowed in NPC recordset library." is reported if items are moved to other groups in non NPC-recordsets. If desired a patch is available in post 141.
[RESOLVED] Non user ocelost reported skill bonus discrepancy. Calculations reviewed and details restated in this thread. Resolved, as an errant bug report. Thank you Azimuth. (see posts #153 - 173)
[CONFIRMED] This extension has been tested, over the course of about 3 months now, with a multiclass character (Druid/Warlock).
[REQUEST] Requisite relaxation (Workarounds see post #106)
Remove requirements for Wild Shaping, e.g. character being a Druid. (see Brotherkelly, posts #79-83)
[ISSUE] Annoyance (Fixed v0.0.8)
Reports auto-revert on long rest as being due to zero temp HP, true but not accurate.
[REQUEST] Primal Strike (Added v0.0.8)
Primal Strike (Circle of the Moon) not supported. See post #49 by ffujita.
[ISSUE] Healing (Fixed v0.0.7)
Doesn't handle healing, while in Wild Shape, properly. Investigations showed hit dice and hit points (other than TMP HP) were not truly supported. See post #45 by Lilly Fireblade.
[REQUEST] Wild Shape HP other than default. (Added v0.0.7)
In addition to the beast's average HP being assigned as the Wild Shape, allow max and random (rolled). See post #37 of this thread by Thirsterhall.
[REQUEST] Elemental Wild Shape (Supported v0.0.5)
Specific to the Circle of the Moon Druid of level 10 or higher. As part of that support, damage resistances, immunities, vulnerabilities and condition immunities are now handled.
[ISSUE] Unsupported fields (Fixed v0.0.5)
Originally, some fields of the NPC stat block were not supported. The vulnerabilities, immunities and reactions, weren't supported because I didn't see any beasts with those properties.

Design Caveats
[Caveat] Other fields like Legendary Actions are specifically not supported because they're denied in the Druid's Wild Shape guideline.

Extension Interactions:
Many new users of Fantasy Grounds see the huge variety of community developed extensions available to them and they load 'em up. "What could be better than all this additional functionality?" The answer might be none of it! But certainly, less of it. If you are not actively using an extension's functionality, don't load it. Community developers work in a bit of a vacuum. I don't pay attention to what's out there, unless I want or need it. Because the more extensions I have loaded the greater the chances are that those extensions might adversely interact with one another - giving errant results, undesired behaviors or crashing. I make sure my extensions work with the rest of my extensions and with those that I use from other community developers. But not every other extension out there.

This extension is very complex. I have gone to great effort to ensure this extension modifies a minimal amount of ruleset code thereby minimizing possible conflicts. However, I cannot guarantee a conflict won't occur. Particularly if another developer's extension interferes with my extension's functionality instead of visa versa.

If you have problems with this extension, it is your responsibility to determine if the fault is extension conflicts. The first thing I will ask you is: "Do you use any other extensions?" If so, "Have you unloaded all the other extensions? Do you still have a problem?" So you might as well figure it out beforehand. If you don't know how to go about it, take a look at post #18 of this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34099-Extension-interaction-Attn-ext-users-and-ext-developers-(soliciting-comments)/page2).

Extension Copyright:
This extension is copywritten by me, in its entirety. The copyright does not prevent you from modifying it for your own use. But you may not share nor publish the modified extension with anyone as long as it has any of my copywritten code in it.

paladiusdarkhelm
December 8th, 2018, 22:47
Win. Thank you, Minty. I'll likely be testing this out in the near future.

st4lk3r87
December 8th, 2018, 22:52
Well, I wanted to start to create an extension like this. NICE TIMING! :D

Thirsterhall
December 14th, 2018, 22:35
I have a char that is playing a 1 Barb/2 Druid and so far the wild shape works the one exception.

If he rages and then wild shapes the wild shape form attacks aren't based off of strength so his +2 damage isn't applying. I think you need to instead of doing a fixed bonus for the damage take that bonus - (prof + str bonus) and make the fixed bonus and then set the attacks to be str based. I can't think of any animal shape that doesn't use str for it's attacks.

Minty23185Fresh
December 14th, 2018, 23:02
Thirsterhall, would you mind sending me, PM if you like, an xml copy (export) of your character. Or if not that, at least the ability scores. Thanks.

MacTydon
December 15th, 2018, 16:05
Love this extension. The druid in my campaign is gonna love this. Great work.

HuseyinCinar
December 15th, 2018, 16:26
Man FG really needed something like this. Downloading and testing now.

Thirsterhall
December 17th, 2018, 14:40
I looked at the barbarian problem a bit more and its not due to the animal forms being str based it's do to them not being flagged as melee attacks. FYI the barbarian effect that is causing the issue is the following

Rage;ADVCHK:strength;ADVSAV:strength;DMG:2,melee;R ESIST:bludgeoning,slashing,piercing

Notice the "DMG: 2, melee;" it only triggers on melee weapon attacks but for some reason the animal form attacks aren't being considered melee attacks so the +2 damage isn't being added.

As a quick work around I can remove the melee restriction to the effect for rage for this char.

Zacchaeus
December 17th, 2018, 18:13
All attacks that are melee attacks are treated as melee attacks.

Thirsterhall
December 17th, 2018, 18:24
That's for an NPC. This extension is morphing the PC char sheet and placing the animal attacks into spells, see the attachments on the 1st post.

Zacchaeus
December 17th, 2018, 20:14
That's for an NPC. This extension is morphing the PC char sheet and placing the animal attacks into spells, see the attachments on the 1st post.

I see. That's going to cause a few issues similar to the one you have discovered then.

Thirsterhall
December 17th, 2018, 20:57
Just wanted to say I'm not knocking the extension...I'm loving it actually just hoping to help fix any possible issues with it.

Minty23185Fresh
December 18th, 2018, 03:28
I rely on the FG Spell parser when the traits and actions are added from the beast to the Druid. If the actions are not marked as melee in the animal then the parser would not catch that. I’ll investigate it more. Thanks, and great troubleshooting.

Thirsterhall
December 18th, 2018, 13:17
As Zacchaeus pointed out they are melee for the NPC animal however being added to Actions area they are seen as Spell-cantrip. I think the only way to make it see them as true melee attacks would be adding them to the weapons section of the PC sheet which I know would make them much more difficult to manage by the addon. This addon is already making druid wild shape so much nicer it may not be worth it just for the barbarian multiclass.

Minty23185Fresh
December 18th, 2018, 16:37
As Zacchaeus pointed out they are melee for the NPC animal however being added to Actions area they are seen as Spell-cantrip. I think the only way to make it see them as true melee attacks would be adding them to the weapons section of the PC sheet which I know would make them much more difficult to manage by the addon. This addon is already making druid wild shape so much nicer it may not be worth it just for the barbarian multiclass.

Having them in their own Power Group makes housekeeping really easy. Sticking them into Weapons introduces an addition level of complication (for removal on revert). I am looking into this. Possibly I can just add "Melee" to the action as I add them to the power group. I might also need to visit the ability used for applying the actions in the new power group. As you say, they typically adopt the mage's spellcasting ability (Wisdom or Intelligence). Maybe I can override with Strength and fix the whole thing.

As an aside, I was discussing this with my DM... He asked, "Can a wild shape rage?" So we went looking. Jeremy Crawford (Wizards of the Coast, Sage Advice sage) says, "Yes".

Thirsterhall
December 20th, 2018, 01:01
As an aside, I was discussing this with my DM... He asked, "Can a wild shape rage?" So we went looking. Jeremy Crawford (Wizards of the Coast, Sage Advice sage) says, "Yes".
Ya I went through the same thing when my player wanted to do a raging bear build and found not only can the wild shape rage but a raging barbarian can wild shape, it's not a spell.

Minty23185Fresh
December 20th, 2018, 16:36
Thirsterhall, as you surmise this method of applying the beast actions as weapons will require a lot more coding in the extension, some it quite involved.

I'll summarize, if you want gory details I can provide them, just ask.

I can ad-hoc add items to the Weapons group. I would have to write a parser to extract the details from the beast's stat block and add them to the "weapon" Attack and Damage information block.

This is insufficient though; there is no differentiation between melee and ranged weapons so the extra rage damage is applied to both.

To prevent that, weapons as Items (in the records library) must be created and then added to the Druid/Barbarian's Inventory - this provides the additional required info, the Item Subtype, e.g. "Simple Melee Weapons" or "Simple Ranged Weapons". Additional parsing by my code is needed to extract damage data.

But worse yet, the player cannot create an Item, the DM has to do it. Code might be able to circumvent this but I don't know.

Recall, the DWSI extension allows either the player or the DM to Wild Shape the character. If the player were to Wild Shape the character, a request would have to be sent from the client instance (the player) of Fantasy Grounds up to the host instance (the DM) to create an Item. Once created the host must share the item and then report back that it's done. This is asynchronous behavior and I don't know if it is actually manageable - meaning the timing of asking-creating-reporting-adding to inventory, might not be possible.

Assuming it is, the client, once notified must add the created Item (the weapon) to the character's inventory, equip it and then modify the Attack and Damage details so that they are consistent with the beast's stat block.

Now, oddly enough I thought about going this way originally, but I didn't want to write the parser, so I went with the Power Group idea instead. Investigating this now, revealed to me just how ugly it is. And it might not be possible without a bunch of pre-created Items: the attacks: fist, claw, bite, thrown rock, etc. Which was what this extension was meant to avoid - pre-creation of stuff.

Thirsterhall
December 20th, 2018, 18:09
Ya seems like way to much work for very little gain, barbarian/druid is a niche case. It's simpler to list it as a limitation to the extension and have a work around listed. IE remove "melee" from the rage effect when in animal form solves the problem.

If you where open to other suggestions/improvements.
Would it be possible to change the token to the animals default token? Or even update the players size to match that of the animal? Probably more work than worth the effort but would be really cool to see the players token change to the animal and auto change size/reach.

Minty23185Fresh
December 20th, 2018, 19:29
... list it as a limitation to the extension and have a work around listed...
Something like this might work for you... No editing required. Only thing to remember is the player needs to apply his/her extra damage. Make sure it is in its own Power Group though, not in the "Actions - Wild Shape" Group, because it would get deleted at revert.

If you where open to other suggestions/improvements. Would it be possible to change the token to the animals default token? Or even update the players size to match that of the animal?
I'm always open to suggestions, I appreciate them. That means people are really putting my work efforts through its paces.

I had considered token adoption when I was first working on the extension but I ran out of time. I wanted to get a working extension for my first game as a Druid in a new campaign. Now that that is underway, and I have something out there, I'll look into changing tokens. I hadn't thought of size/reach. I don't have a clue how to do that, but that's good, I have something to look into, something to learn.

And I haven't totally given up on the Rage problem. I might be able to attach "Melee" or "Ranged" to a hidden field in the code that would carry over to the damage evaluator and then be intercepted and applied over there.

Wampsucat
December 27th, 2018, 05:23
I like what your extension does. I hope that you can update it to make the tokens/sizes swap out.

That being said, I keep getting errors when I click on the PC's Actions tabs after I've converted them. It also happens when I click on ANY PC's Action tab after that, including when I convert them back to their normal form.

Here's a example of the errors that are popping up. It's only a few lines, but there were many more.

Script Error: [string "portrait"]:1: setPrototype: Invalid parameter
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/power_action.lua"]:96: attempt to call field 'getPCPowerCastActionText' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/power_action.lua"]:102: attempt to call field 'getPCPowerDamageActionText' (a nil value)

Am I doing something wrong? Installed something wrong? Or is this a real bug and not just my incompetence? :)

EDIT: I turned off another extension and the errors for 'getPCPowerCastActionText' went away. setPrototype is still happening, but only when I drop the NPC onto the PC portrait.

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2018, 09:00
Hi wampsucat, welcome to FG. I think you are answering your own question. Not all extensions work with every other extension. In other to track down the issue you’ll need to start a campaign with only the Druid one loaded to see if you still get errors. If you do not then another extension is either out of date or it does not play nice with the Druid one.

Minty23185Fresh
December 27th, 2018, 15:28
Wampsucat, Zacchaeus gives sage advice. Thanks Zacchaeus, well said.

Wampsucat What other extensions are you using? I'd like to see if I can figure out what's causing the conflict, possibly I can remedy things on my end. Or work with the other developer to get the extensions playing nicely with one another.

And don’t drop the beast NPC in the portrait area. The portrait has a drop handler that deals with tokens - to set the character’s picture and token. It’s handler isn't meant to deal with an NPC being dropped there.

Wampsucat
December 27th, 2018, 23:41
Hi Minty,

Thanks for the quick reply!
The extension that was throwing the errors was https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24573-Effect-Targeting-Enhancement-(Extension)

I think it adds some functionality that yours does not encompass.

And you are correct on the portrait. I brain-farted when I read your instructions...
drag the link from the desired beast's NPC stat block on to the upper portion of the character sheet

I read that as 'upper portrait'! LOL

Joklo
January 4th, 2019, 23:03
Hey Minty,

This is a great extension and super helpful for one of my players. Now he has been playing a level 11 druid and we hit a snag for circle of the moon having the Elemental Wild Shape feature at level 10 when he wants to change into either fire, air, water, or earth elemental. We get the "Wild Shapes only valid for beast type NPCs."
Thanks again for making this

Minty23185Fresh
January 5th, 2019, 01:32
... and we hit a snag for circle of the moon having the Elemental Wild Shape feature at level 10... we get the "Wild Shapes only valid for beast type NPCs.

Aargh. Having never played a Druid before now, I didn’t see this coming.

As a quick cheat, in case you haven’t done this already... Edit the NPC (elemental) and change the Type to “Beast”. If you can’t unlock the NPC, say because it is from the Monster Manual, make a copy and edit the copy. Sometimes you’ll have to create the copy by opening the NPC stat sheet from the record set library then using the link in the upper left corner of the stat sheet drag it back into the library.

And thanks for reporting this and for using the extension.

Jiminimonka
January 6th, 2019, 17:33
There is an extension on the DM Guild called Critically Awesome Essentials. Covers Wild Shape and Moon Druid Wild Shape too.

Minty23185Fresh
January 6th, 2019, 23:14
There is an extension on the DM Guild called Critically Awesome Essentials. Covers Wild Shape and Moon Druid Wild Shape too.

I did not know this... I wonder why it wasn’t posted here in the forums. It would have saved me some time.

Jiminimonka
January 7th, 2019, 00:11
Maybe because its not free?

Minty23185Fresh
January 7th, 2019, 23:46
Announcing an update (v0.0.5) to the Druid Wild Shapes Implementor extension (DWSI).

This version supports the four Elemental Wild Shapes available to Circle of the Moon Druids, level 10 and higher. (The four and only four additional NPCs allowed are: air, earth, fire and water elementals.)

The extension will not allow wild shaping into a NPC that is not of type beast or one of those elementals. The extension does not do level checking (e.g. you could wild shape into a fire elemental at level 5). The extension does not do Circle checking, i.e. a Circle of the Land or Circle of Spoors (Unearthed Arcana) could wild shape into an elemental. This is left up to the honesty of the player and responsibility of the DM to ensure the PC is of the proper Circle and Level.

These four elementals have damage resistances, immunities, vulnerabilities and condition immunities. These "traits" are handled as Effects in the Combat Tracker. DWSI sets up a "Combat Effects" Power on the Actions tab of the character sheet, as it does with all other traits and actions. An Effect is attached to the power allowing the player to apply all the appropriate resistances, immunities and vulnerabilities using a single Effect button. I did not auto apply the effect during Wild Shaping. No other character effects are handled that way and so I remained consistent with other Fantasy Grounds functionality. All of this is displayed in the following screenshot.

Note that the effect is set up to apply to "Self" so the user needn't drag the effect, just clicking the button will suffice. As with all Effects the DM will have to remove the effects from the player in the Combat Tracker when the player reverts his character back to a Druid.

(More information in the following post about Token swapping!)

If you have any questions or problems please let me know. Thanks for using the extension.

Minty23185Fresh
January 7th, 2019, 23:47
The latest release, v0.0.5, of the Druid Wild Shapes Implementor extension marginally supports token swapping. The token of the beast or elemental is substituted for the Druid's token in the character sheet, the Combat Tracker and any maps containing the character's token linked to the Combat Tracker.

But only if the DM Wild Shapes the Druid. If the player Wild Shapes her/his character only the token on the character sheet is swapped. [Edit]This has been fixed (see post 36).

I apologize for this "almost getting it right". I thought I had it all ready to go. I had thoroughly tested it in the DM instance only. Just as I was about to post version v0.0.5 I thought about ensuring all functionality worked in the player's instance of FG also. I learned that it does not.

I know what the issue is, The player owns their instance of their character sheet, but the DM owns the Combat Tracker. When the player interacts with the Combat Tracker, "requests" are sent from the player instance to the GM instance of FG, The GM instance then processes the request and any results are reported back to the players. (A simple example is an attack roll.)

So in this case, the player's instance can swap out the token in the character sheet but not in the combat tracker. I'll have to code the request "conversation" between instances.

To show you what it looks like, here is are some screenshots. When the DM drags the NPC on to the player's character sheet, the appropriate tokens in the character sheet, the Combat Tracker and the map are updated with the NPC's token. On revert, they are swapped back to their original images.

This screenshot shows the tokens as they appear before Wild Shaping.

And this screenshot shows the tokens after the Druid has Wild Shaped to an Air Elemental.

To reiterate: For this to work properly the DM must do the NPC dragging to effect Wild Shape. The DM should also perform the revert. (Oops, I just thought of something. I don't know what happens with auto revert, when temp HP go to zero.)

Again, I really apologize for my shortcomings here. I wanted to get this ready for my DM since we're playing tonight and evidently rushed my release.

ReverendJ
January 8th, 2019, 17:53
Dude, no need for apologies. Incremental improvement is good

Minty23185Fresh
January 9th, 2019, 00:33
Announcing release of the Druid Wild Shapes Implementor extension (DWSI) version 0.0.6. This version remedies the issue mentioned in post 34 above. Tokens are now swapped from the Druid's token to the Wild Shape NPC's token when the player Wild Shape's his/her character. The tokens in the character sheet, combat tracker and linked tokens on maps, in all instances (GM and all players) are properly substituted. Token scaling and reach are also supported (the maps must have scaling grids).

Thanks for your patience. If you observe issues please let me know.
And thanks for using this extension.

Thirsterhall
January 12th, 2019, 00:48
One again great mod and love seeing the token changing.

One last idea I had was what about either having your own option in the settings or using the existing setting for NPC hit point IE Standard, Random or Max. I use the random option to roll for all NPC hp when added to tracker and love to see the animal form hp be random when the player wild shapes.

Minty23185Fresh
January 12th, 2019, 04:39
One last idea I had was what about either having your own option in the settings or using the existing setting for NPC hit point IE Standard, Random or Max. I use the random option to roll for all NPC hp when added to tracker and love to see the animal form hp be random when the player wild shapes.

I can do that.

As a player though, I would like to roll the dice myself. (I know, I know.. the argument, about either way the computer is really rolling the dice, not me.. But I like it to”feel” like I did it.) if the player wants to roll, they can, then just modify the TMP HP accordingly.

But I’ll still put your suggestion in the queue.

soonerhef
January 14th, 2019, 04:11
Fantastic work. Thanks!

Aedus Amaterasu
January 15th, 2019, 08:24
Hands down probably the greatest .ext made for 5e FG. Thank you for making it.

Diablobob
January 21st, 2019, 04:21
I did not know this... I wonder why it wasn’t posted here in the forums. It would have saved me some time.

Lol... I thought the same exact thing about your extension, when I discovered it approximately 2 weeks after I made and posted mine... Although mine will not only be for Druid wildshape...

I chose not to post on your thread earlier, because I like your work and did not want to discourage it. Good work man! There is more than one way to accomplish wildshapes, and I didn't want to keep others from developing their own ways. Primarily because, we are all trying to make the game better!

PM me if you have any questions... Good luck and good dev!

~Bob (Diablobob)

ffujita
January 24th, 2019, 00:01
Aha! User error, I was dropping the token, not the "shield" button. Sorry for the confusion.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did 3.3.7A break the extension? I worked for me before the update, but not so much now ... of course it could be user error :)

The token changes on the character sheet, but no name change, no token change on the combat tracker or map, no change to temp hp.

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2019, 00:20
Aha! User error, I was dropping the token, not the "shield" button. Sorry for the confusion.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did 3.3.7A break the extension? I worked for me before the update, but not so much now ... of course it could be user error :)

The token changes on the character sheet, but no name change, no token change on the combat tracker or map, no change to temp hp.
As noted in the first post the extension was updated to work with 3.3.7. So make sure you have the latest version.

Minty23185Fresh
January 24th, 2019, 03:44
Thanks Zacchaeus.
I just ensured I had the latest version of FG (I thing there was an update late last week). And then double checked my extension. Things look fine to me.

ffujita. Ah I see you discovered the problem. Thanks for using the extension.

Lilly Fireblade
January 29th, 2019, 08:08
I am not sure this is a bug per se but with the way the hp is currently implemented any healing effects don't work properly when the wildshaped druid is targeted. What I mean by this is that currently with how you have the plugin coded at least if a cleric tries to cast cure wounds on a wildshaped druid acting as a tank or similar the wounds goes down which doesn't work at keeping the form since the heal didn't increase the tempory hit points that the druid has while wildshaped. I hope I worded this in a way that made sense, I am way to tired to be trusted messing with druids.

Minty23185Fresh
January 29th, 2019, 15:54
I am not sure this is a bug per se but...
the heal didn't increase the temporary hit points that the druid has while wildshaped….

Thanks Lilly for reporting this. And I am all but certain I know what you're getting at.
While I was coding the hp handling this possibility popped into my head, but then, just as quickly popped back out. I thought it was a possible problem, but never followed up. You've confirmed it. I need to investigate and implement a remedy.

Until I get this fixed, you can manually handle with this by increasing the wounds and increasing the TMP hit points by the heal value. Not ideal I know, my extension needs to handle this.

ffujita
January 29th, 2019, 19:04
Well, that would be ideal. In my head, I was thinking as I read Lilly's comment, "Yeah, thats always a problem when you use TMP HP for Wildshape HP." So if Minty gets this feature added, the extension changes from a nice help to must have. Thanks for working on it!

Lilly Fireblade
January 29th, 2019, 19:39
One thing I played with was I wondered what happened with a druid who had actual temp hp before wildshaping, and I have to take my hat off to you. The plugin restored my actual temp hp when I lost my wildshape.

ffujita
January 31st, 2019, 02:40
As long as you're looking for ways to improve the extension, It would be great if the piercing/bludgeoning/slashing damage that the forms did were magical if you're level 6 or higher.

pablomaz
February 2nd, 2019, 22:11
That's amazing! I've been testing it for a couple of minutes and loving it! Thanks you so much, Minty23185Fresh!

It seems to be working fine with Combat Enhancer, isn't it?!

Jiminimonka
February 3rd, 2019, 22:54
OK - this is a great extension! Thanks

I notice that the tokens for most animals in PHB and DMG are just pox-ridden letters not actual tokens. I created some new beasts with proper tokens but the players cant see them (I tried all the share tokens procedure (combat tracker, drag onto PC) but that doesn't work. Suggestions (or just live with a Giant B for Bear) ;)

Zacchaeus
February 3rd, 2019, 23:59
You can’t share tokens with players. It’s for the DM to allocate tokens to players and NPCs. If you want to change the tokens for any NPC you can either make a copy of the NPC, unlock the copy and add a new token. You can also drop a new token on an NPC in an encounter or drop one on the NPC token on the CT. None of the animals in the PHB, MM or DMG came with artwork, hence the letter tokens.

Jiminimonka
February 4th, 2019, 20:51
You can’t share tokens with players. It’s for the DM to allocate tokens to players and NPCs. If you want to change the tokens for any NPC you can either make a copy of the NPC, unlock the copy and add a new token. You can also drop a new token on an NPC in an encounter or drop one on the NPC token on the CT. None of the animals in the PHB, MM or DMG came with artwork, hence the letter tokens.

Thanks, Zacchaeus. I made copies of the beasties and added artwork - the dragging the NPC onto the character seemed to work - don't know what I was doing wrong first time around (it was late and I was tired).

Minty23185Fresh
February 4th, 2019, 23:06
Thank you everyone for your praise and feedback. It means a lot. I can observe the number of times one of my extensions has been downloaded, but without written feedback, whether positive or negative, one just does their development in a vacuum.

You can’t share tokens with players. It’s for the DM to allocate tokens to players and NPCs. If you want to change the tokens for any NPC you can either make a copy of the NPC, unlock the copy and add a new token.....
I was working with my DM to add pictures (tokens) to the NPCs for my use in the campaign that I am playing in and was surprised to learn how labor intensive it is for the DM to add my tokens. So this is another item on the "to do" list. An automated way for the DM to share copies of NPCs with the Druid. I'm thinking about the automatic creation of a "Wild Shapes" Group in the NPC library. It would be nice if I could share the Group as a unit, but that might not be possible. Barring that, an NPC dragged on to the Group (by the DM) would auto-copy and auto-share with Druids in the campaign.

I'll get to this, Lilly Fireblade's suggestion regarding TMP HP and heal spells and ffugita's suggestion about magical damage at 6th level.

I am trying to get another extension out that I have been reworking for about two months now. I do hear your "wants" and will entertain them as soon as I can.

Diablobob
February 6th, 2019, 11:46
The fastest and easiest way to share the "group", with the way you're doing the wildshape, would be to make copies of the wildshape NPCs (drag and drop NPCs back into NPC window), put them in your own NPC module, and make it a player accessible module.

Granted then you'd have copyright issues unless you posted it on DMs guild... "Pay what you want" maybe, if you go that route...

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,
Bob

Minty23185Fresh
February 6th, 2019, 14:32
The fastest and easiest way to share the "group", with the way you're doing the wildshape, would be to make copies of the wildshape NPCs (drag and drop NPCs back into NPC window), put them in your own NPC module, and make it a player accessible module.

Granted then you'd have copyright issues unless you posted it on DMs guild... "Pay what you want" maybe, if you go that route...

For my own use, in the campaign I am in, the copyright issue is moot. But sharing with others, it becomes one. For me though my DM is resistant to me putting together the module, why I don't know, but in my opinion you don't pick a fight with your DM. Also there's some inflexibility in this. I'm in Chult. All sorts of new creatures. Adding them to my repertoire means constantly reworking the module.

And most importantly, it doesn't allow me to advance the capabilities of my extension and learn something new about the Smiteworks code. Something all of us programmer/developers hold dear to heart. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about here, right Diablobob?

Diablobob
February 6th, 2019, 17:39
I do, I was suggesting it as a temp solution for users and if you wanted to share you could put just that mod file on DMsGuild till you get more functionality working... By all means keep full control of your ext... Just the temp mod file would need to be over there

Lilly Fireblade
February 6th, 2019, 19:06
I don't think the compatible entries from the SRD would be a copyright issue to link/copy.

But what would be nice was an extension that hot-swapped the portrait of the character with a collection of tokens or to that effect.

Diablobob
February 6th, 2019, 21:21
I don't think the compatible entries from the SRD would be a copyright issue to link/copy.

But what would be nice was an extension that hot-swapped the portrait of the character with a collection of tokens or to that effect.

His ext does swap tokens, as does mine... And yes the SRD is fine, but if you compile MM or Volos beasts or the like... Then you gotta worry about copyright

But I think he wants to do something that triggers the shift, and auto shares the NPC... Which is doable...

Minty23185Fresh
February 6th, 2019, 22:47
... the heal didn't increase the tempory hit points that the druid has while wildshaped...

I was thinking of a solution to this only in terms of another party member casting a spell to heal a wounded Wild Shaped Druid. I got to thinking about other avenues of healing and wondered if a Wild Shaped Druid could roll HD during a short rest? Mike Mearles of WotC answered this question in the affirmative in August of 2015.

Lilly, ffujita & others: I am working on this but the can of worms just got bigger, or at least it has more worms.

Lilly Fireblade
February 6th, 2019, 23:19
Don't worry the can is actually a dimensional space like a portable hole. It can handle it.

LordEntrails
February 7th, 2019, 00:15
I hear fried worms are tasty.

Diablobob
February 7th, 2019, 00:19
I was thinking of a solution to this only in terms of another party member casting a spell to heal a wounded Wild Shaped Druid. I got to thinking about other avenues of healing and wondered if a Wild Shaped Druid could roll HD during a short rest? Mike Mearles of WotC answered this question in the affirmative in August of 2015.

Lilly, ffujita & others: I am working on this but the can of worms just got bigger, or at least it has more worms.

As a possible solution, you could always store the original temp HP value in a DB.createChild... Then compare the values, allowing for an increase of temp HP up to the "child" value if status of shifted is in effect... You might need to intercept the actual heal application if shifted Druid is target... Or you can just "child" all the stats so the heal would get manually overwritten, then appropriately readjusted toward temp hp... Shouldn't be too hard... Let me know if you have questions...

Just throwing out random ideas to try and help... If you wish me to stop, let me know...

Cheers,
~bob

Atua
February 10th, 2019, 23:34
Thinking a bit more laterally here, how hard would it be to update this mod to handle the polymorph spell (and shapechange/true polymorph). There is a high degree of similarities between the spells and wildshape.

Minty23185Fresh
February 11th, 2019, 05:31
Thinking a bit more laterally here, how hard would it be to update this mod to handle the polymorph spell (and shapechange/true polymorph). There is a high degree of similarities between the spells and wildshape.

I’m guessing you don’t program... :)

I’ll use a non software development analogy. If I have a machine that automates the building of automobiles, it is unlikely that I can use the same machine to build laptop computers.

So, rough guess, first glance, answer would be no. But. That said the concepts are very similar. The algorithms and logic used in DWSI are probably all reusable in an extension that does spell polymorphing. A lot of the engineering is done.

I’m willing to take that on but it will be a while. I have two other extensions I want to tackle first, because they directly affect me. Plus my Field Filters extension has a serious bug I’m currently looking into.

I’m hoping I didn’t sound flip, I didn’t mean to be. I like the idea, and appreciate the request. And thinking outside the proverbial box always pushes creativity. Thanks.

Minty23185Fresh
February 11th, 2019, 05:39
I hear fried worms are tasty.
Got them simmering and they look scrumptous.
Playtesting tomorrow night.

Atua
February 12th, 2019, 04:01
I was not offended at all Minty, and I'm certainly no programmer.

I do not know the complexities involved but I thought maybe there could be some code similarities. Nevertheless, I appreciate that you are considering it since this is a request from a random internet person.

Lilly Fireblade
February 14th, 2019, 01:03
So how did it go Minty?

Minty23185Fresh
February 14th, 2019, 14:26
So how did it go Minty?
Not well.
Never had cause to Wild Shape.
But the version didn’t crash FG, “So I got that goin’ for me!”
Supporting the heal/hit points/hit dice issue has revealed some major flaws in my implementation. (Timing issues.) Plus while developing I experimented using two Druid’s. That was a disaster.
I am in the middle of a complete rewrite. Mostly code reuse. But a different way of effecting it.
Sorry for the delay.

Lilly Fireblade
February 14th, 2019, 20:03
I didn't think my observation would turn out to be effectively a hand grenade...

damned
February 14th, 2019, 22:19
Hey Minty!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26316

Diablobob
February 15th, 2019, 01:33
Anything you need help with minty?

Diablobob
February 15th, 2019, 01:34
Damned, that graphic is epic!

Minty23185Fresh
February 15th, 2019, 02:14
That cartoon is great, thanks damned.

Minty23185Fresh
February 15th, 2019, 02:21
I didn't think my observation would turn out to be effectively a hand grenade...
‘tisn’t really. It’s a shortcoming of the extension that needs addressing. Had I seen it in the first place the rework wouldn’t have been necessary. Keeps me busy.

Minty23185Fresh
February 15th, 2019, 02:24
Anything you need help with minty?
No thank you. Got it covered. But I appreciate the offer.

Lilly Fireblade
February 15th, 2019, 16:22
Hey Minty!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26316

*GANK*

I wish you luck in your rewrite, but who knows what will come about from this trip down the rabbit-hole.

amdawursk
February 21st, 2019, 01:54
This is so helpful!!!! Thank you so much!!!

Brotherkelly
February 22nd, 2019, 08:52
Hi Minty23185Fresh,

This extension is superb. Have tested it a few times and all is good.

The campaign my small group are about to run includes a custom character class Morph (taken from the 'A Touch Of Class' supplement from EN World EN5ider). Characters of this class are shapeshifting specialists and have the Shapeshift Class Feature. This functions in the same way as the Druid Wild Shape with a few minor differences ( for example - max CR at different levels are higher than the Druid).

I was hoping to use your extension to make creating the shapeshifted character easier. However, it doesn't work and reports back 'Only works with Druid Class' or words to that effect.

Can you let me know if there are any key words or phrases within the Druid Class that the extension needs to see? I might then be able to modify my custom class accordingly.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Minty23185Fresh
February 22nd, 2019, 20:43
This extension is superb. Have tested it a few times and all is good.

Can you let me know if there are any key words or phrases within the Druid Class that the extension needs to see? I might then be able to modify my custom class accordingly.

For the class, the extension is looking for the class name. It must be “Druid”. The class name appears up in header or title bar, at the top of the class editor dialog.

The extension also rejects all NPCs other than “Beasts” and the four elementals (air, fire, earth and water). The NPC type (available in the NPC editor dialogue) must be either “Beast” or “Elemental”, and if it’s “elemental” the name must be one of the four (“Air Elemental”, ...). I can’t remember if it’s case sensitive. Use whatever case is already being used in the dialogue.

It is interesting that you should mention this... I’ve been thinking about adding support for custom overrides. NPC types, class types, class level requirements, etc. (Class level restrictions are not supported now, but will be when I implement the “magic” damage type at level 6 that ffugita requested.) I won’t get around to the custom overrides for at least a month though, too many other thing yet to do. So that won’t help you in the immediate future.

Thanks for the compliments. If you have other questions, just ask.

Thirsterhall
February 22nd, 2019, 20:49
How about a simple option to opt out of all restrictions? IE an option in settings that bypasses the checks for "beasts", class, level etc. It would then be up the DM to apply appropriate NPC's to PC's. A warning that NPC's other than "beasts and the elementals for druids" might not work, uses at your own risk would also be appropriate.

Minty23185Fresh
February 22nd, 2019, 21:53
How about a simple option to opt out of all restrictions?

Hi, Thirsterhall. That certainly is a possibility. When I go into do the leveling I’ll take a look.

Brotherkelly
February 22nd, 2019, 22:12
For the class, the extension is looking for the class name. It must be “Druid”. The class name appears up in header or title bar, at the top of the class editor dialog.

The extension also rejects all NPCs other than “Beasts” and the four elementals (air, fire, earth and water). The NPC type (available in the NPC editor dialogue) must be either “Beast” or “Elemental”, and if it’s “elemental” the name must be one of the four (“Air Elemental”, ...). I can’t remember if it’s case sensitive. Use whatever case is already being used in the dialogue.

It is interesting that you should mention this... I’ve been thinking about adding support for custom overrides. NPC types, class types, class level requirements, etc. (Class level restrictions are not supported now, but will be when I implement the “magic” damage type at level 6 that ffugita requested.) I won’t get around to the custom overrides for at least a month though, too many other thing yet to do. So that won’t help you in the immediate future.

Thanks for the compliments. If you have other questions, just ask.

Thanks for the info.

So in order for it to work the class needs to be Druid. I tried Druid (Shapeshifter) as the class but this didn't allow it either. No problem, I will modify my custom class to be Druid but with all the features, etc of the Shapeshifter. I also needed to change the Shapeshift Feature name to Wild Shape. I will let our DM know about this as well.

I will keep an eye out for your custom override update. This may allow me to switch the character class name back to its proper name.

Many thanks.

Minty23185Fresh
February 23rd, 2019, 15:34
In this release I fixed the Heal/Recovery issue as reported by Lilly Fireblade, see post #45. As a side issue to this I noticed that the Hit Dice were not at all supported, also fixed. As a complication of fixing these issues, some changes were made to Hit Points displays. And to add to this, all these fixes prevented those who wanted to use something other than the NPC's average HP as the Wild Shapes HP (for example Max HP or Random HP), as mentioned by Thirsterhall, see post #37 of this thread.

Because I like to explain changes and enhancements with pictures, here we go.

In the following screenshot I have depicted my 3rd level Druid, Wild Shaping into my Test NPC. The character sheet (with the center clipped out) for the Druid is shown in the left panel, the Wild Shape character sheet in the right panel and the pertinent HP/HD from the NPC's stat block is shown in the center. The Druid starts out with Wounds = 10 and Temporary Hit Points = 1. Upon Wild Shaping, the Wounds for the Druid are not longer shown. The Total (Max) HP is that of the Druid (as before) and the Wild Shapes Max HP are placed in the TMP HP field (as before). The reason the Wounds are cleared is because when healing is applied by the ruleset routines they want to apply the healing to the (Druid's) Wounds instead of the Wild Shape's. By dropping the Druid's Wounds, while Wild Shaped, it was easier for me to trap the healing and just add it to the TMP HP, thereby healing the Wild Shape.
Also in the screenshot, note the Druid has 1 of her 3 d8 Hit Dice left. Upon Wild Shaping the Hit Dice become those of the Test NPC 4d4's.

In the next screenshot I attempt to show healing in action. The left panel is that of the Chat window and on the right are the Hit Point displays as four attempts to heal her are applied. The Druid has Wild Shaped into the Test NPC and was attacked, taking damage, reducing her Hip Points from 9 to 2. The Cleric in the party casts a Cure Wounds spell, for a paltry 1hp healing. During a short rest the Wild Shaped Druid uses Hit Dice to heal herself. Note on the final Hit Die thrown the potential healing exceeds her Wild Shape Max HP (of 9) but the extension properly tops out the healing, discarding the 1hp excess.

Damage works pretty much as expected, including the complicated "case of death by excess". The scenario for the following screenshot is, the Druid takes damage until she has but two hip points left, so she Wild Shapes, gaining a few HP, hoping to ride out the rest of the encounter. The player's character sheet prior to WS is shown in the left panel of the following screen shot. The center panel and right panel are those of the DM's Chat and Combat Manager, post WS and post attacks. One orc attacks and does 7hp damage, leaving her two of her 9 temp hit point she gained by Wild Shaping. A second orc deals a heavy blow, inflicting 14 hit points. This exceeds her 2 remaining WS HP causing auto-revert. The Druid takes the remaining 12hp damage, ten of which exceed her remaining two hit points, causing death.

In this final screenshot I have shown the Options Manager, with the new Druid Wild Shapes hit points options. The three choices are depicted as well as three resultant hit point results for the 4d4-1, HD of my Test NPC.

A couple final comments and a plea:
(1) A long rest will cause auto-revert. A Druid can remain in WS for its level/2 hours (rounded down). A long rest lasts 8 hours so any Druid level 17 or less will revert out of WS. An 18th level Druid can remain in WS for one hour more than a long rest and 19th or 20th level Druids for two hours. The DWSI extension has no way of tracking time. The fact that temporary hit points are lost during a long rest takes care of this for me, auto-reverting at 0 TMP HP.
(2) From a coding standpoint auto-reverting is less "auto" than it used to be. Auto-revert was causing me a lot of problems with timing of events and hit point evaluation when damage was occurring. From your vantage point, it should appear to behave just as it did in the prior version. Auto revert is more like "forced" revert now. If I've missed an event that should cause auto revert, let me know.
(3) A lot, well, almost all of my code was revised in some manner for this release. This might cause some issues. I have tried to thoroughly test the results. If you observe issues, small or large, please let me know and I'll try to address them quickly.

Thanks for your support and for using my extension.

Thirsterhall
February 23rd, 2019, 16:48
Amazing stuff man, Now I need to roll me a druid to play myself ;)

pico
March 1st, 2019, 20:47
I was using your extension version 0.0.6 in my current campaign and it worked great. I upgraded to the new 0.0.7 version and it does nothing now. Is there some trick to upgrading extensions that I'm not aware of?

Minty23185Fresh
March 1st, 2019, 21:17
I was using your extension version 0.0.6 in my current campaign and it worked great. I upgraded to the new 0.0.7 version and it does nothing now. Is there some trick to upgrading extensions that I'm not aware of?

No trick really. If it is in the right place you should see it (and select it) on the FG launch screen (upper left in the screen shot below) and then see a confirmation in the chat after load (lower right in the screen shot).

pico
March 1st, 2019, 22:26
oh, dang, after looking at the console it was a syntax error in an extension I'm working on seemed to mess things up. All is good now. Sorry.

Minty23185Fresh
March 1st, 2019, 22:46
No worries.

Minty23185Fresh
March 2nd, 2019, 00:15
As long as you're looking for ways to improve the extension, It would be great if the piercing/bludgeoning/slashing damage that the forms did were magical if you're level 6 or higher.

@ffujita and others... Working on this. But unsure as to the extent of what I need to add.. is “magic” added to the damages, as in 1d6 piercing, magic all that I need, or is there something more? Thanks for the help.

MetallicFrost
March 2nd, 2019, 06:35
Hi Minty,

Fantastic work.

I've created a custom Druid that is a combination of Barbarian and Druid. It can't cast spells, but it can use magic (wildshape) etc.
I'm wondering if you are able to edit your extension to remove the restriction to only Druid being able to wildshape. Not as the official extension, but just sent to me? I'd love to be able to use this extension with my custom Druid.

Minty23185Fresh
March 2nd, 2019, 13:48
I've created a custom Druid that is a combination of Barbarian and Druid. It can't cast spells, but it can use magic (wildshape) etc.
I'm wondering if you are able to edit your extension to remove the restriction to only Druid being able to wildshape. Not as the official extension, but just sent to me? I'd love to be able to use this extension with my custom Druid.

Others have requested "requisite relaxation" also. I am currently working on it. But it is still a few days away, until I post it.

Since you've called this a custom Druid, not just a multiclass barbarian / druid, you probably created the class and so the class should be editable. If that's case, name the class "Druid" and the extension should work.

In the screen shot below, I'm trying to show you what I mean. I don't have Xanathar's Guide to Everything, but I created my own "copy" of the Circle of Spoors Druid (from the paper book). Because I created the class I can name it whatever I want. With it named "Druid", any characters I create with it work with the Wild Shape Extension. (I realize you probably don't want to permanently name your class "Druid" but this will work for you in the short term.)

Minty23185Fresh
March 2nd, 2019, 13:59

By the way, as an aside, this sounds very much like the "Hamfariggen" in Elaine Cunningham's book, Tangled Webs.

MetallicFrost
March 4th, 2019, 05:01
The Shapestrong. Nice! No I haven't read that book, but I was mildly curious and read a few paragraphs.

I shall try your suggestion. The custom class I created is called "Battle Druid" and it specializes in tanking as best as you can in 5e..... prevents enemies from moving more than 30 feet from you unless they save. All attacks dealt to anyone else but you within melee range are at a disadvantage, enticing the enemy to attack you rather. Instead of extra attack at 5th I swapped out a custom battle cry that grants a +2 to all friendly attack rolls for 10 rounds. It's not very high on the damage dealing, because I didn't want it to be OP. Right now it has a lot of options for many situations in battle, but they are all tied into a bonus action, and because you can only have one per round, that's where the illusion that the class is OP gets put to rest. It's just extremely useful, and helps everyone else shine. The GM has made this a very low magic campaign. There is magic, but you need to extract it from gemstones, quartz etc to cast a spell. The world was cut off from the gods and thus no magic other than what's trapped is able to be used. It's overly complicated and I wanted to create a class that didn't cast, but was completely different to anything I've played before. I always pick high DPS Rangers or dex-based fighters, so I wanted something that wasn't high damage but still useful.

Minty23185Fresh
March 5th, 2019, 15:16
Announcing the release of version v0.0.8 of the Druid Wild Shapes Implementor Extension (DWSI).

In this release I have added support for rigorous level checking plus the Moon Druid's Primal Strike feature.

Level Checking: Per the Wild Shapes definitions in the Player's Handbook, Druids are only allowed to Wild Shape into NPCs that have certain CR and speed values. The extension now denies Wild Shaping into NPCs that exceed the CR, swim speed or fly speed for the Druid's character level. In the screenshot below are some examples. The panel on left is the chat box. The first three denials are for varying levels of a non-Circle of the Moon Druid (e.g. Circle of Dreams or Circle of Land). The fourth through sixth denial messages are for varying levels of a Circle of the Moon Druid. Note the proper handling, though very similar wording, for the two level 4 characters.

Primal Strike: Also level dependent, this feature kicks in for Circle of the Moon Druids of level 6 or higher, making their attacks magical for the purposes of overcoming a foe's resistance or immunity to nonmagical attack. I searched the books that I have and found the only resistances/immunities for NPCs were against bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage (as mentioned by ffugita in post #49 of this thread), so those are the only damage types handled by this extension. If you run across others, in books that you have, please let me know so I can support those too. The center panel in the screen shot shows the "magic" damage type has been added to the slashing damage for the level 8 Druid that has Wild Shaped into a Giant Boar.

If you have questions, comments or issues with my extension please let me know.

[An aside] "Requirement Relaxation", such as allowing other class types to Wild Shape, as requested by a few users, is not yet supported. That's next on my plate.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
March 5th, 2019, 17:46
Loving this extension. But could you possibly make the Level Checking an option that could be turned off?

The reason I ask is one of my Druid players has a magic totem that allows him to once a day turn into a CR 1 Giant Spider, but he's a 5th level Druid of the Land. Now, I already figured out a work-around by simply making a copy of the Giant Spider NPC and changing it's CR to 1/2 ... but, I think the option might be nice for DM's who might use their own homebrew CR rules or have magic items such as mine in their games, etc.

On the other hand, I love the way this extension is headed and working, so my work-around doesn't bother me one bit. Keep up the great work!

Minty23185Fresh
March 7th, 2019, 22:47
Announcing a version of DWSI that will not be forthcoming.

I have been working for a couple days on a version that allows non-Druids to Wild Shape, allows use of non-beast NPCs as Wild Shapes, and relaxes level checking. I have come to realize this is simply a hack job of an extension I am proud of. It is a major step backwards from the original intent of my project.

If I were to release such a project I'd feel a personal obligation to support it. That's not something I want to spend my time doing. I feel as though this whole thing could only disparage a reputation I have been trying to build.

I will happily continue to suggest work-arounds that help users employ DWSI for purposes outside what I see to be the scope of the project's design.

I'll attach the previous version of DWSI, v0.0.7, a version that does not have the stringent level checking that came out in version v0.0.8. Please be aware that as I move forward with DWSI, I won't be revisiting v0.0.7 and adding improvements to it. It is a dead end version.

I apologize for being hard-nosed about this and thank for your understanding.

Thirsterhall
March 7th, 2019, 23:16
Totally understandable Minty. My suggestion was just for those that want the more relaxed restrictions without making a lot more work for you. In the end you need to happy with your work and I personally am very exited to be able to make use of it in my games.

Oh and never apologize for not be able to or wanting to make certain changes, it's your project and work not ours. We get to benefit from all your hard work and for that I'm very grateful.

So once again thank for such a great extension that for me is a must have for FG, even if I don't have a druid at the time in the game.

Bob

MetallicFrost
March 8th, 2019, 00:25
Completely agree. You are creating content for how the game is meant to be played. I'm creating a custom character, so that comes with consequences. Your suggestion about changing the name of the class back to Druid worked, so thank you!

Brotherkelly
March 9th, 2019, 18:19
I also completely agree with your decision. My original request was only really to see if it was possible to modify. I have essentially created a custom Druid class with all the attributes of the Morph Class. I will be using version 0.7 because the wildshape benefits are different to the standard Druid. Many thanks for this extension and for developing it the way you have.

drberg42
March 9th, 2019, 21:32
This extension looks awesome, I just shared it with the Druid in my campaign and we can't wait to test it out tonight.

Slalom
March 10th, 2019, 21:11
You are a genius !!! :D :D :D

Lilly Fireblade
March 12th, 2019, 07:58
I am wanting to know if it would be amiss to use your extension in paid games? I know that some extension authors utterly abhor such things and put a clause in to their license about it. I am just wanting to cross my Ts and dot my Is.

Minty23185Fresh
March 12th, 2019, 17:34
I am wanting to know if it would be amiss to use your extension in paid games? I know that some extension authors utterly abhor such things and put a clause in to their license about it. I am just wanting to cross my Ts and dot my Is.

Thanks you for asking.
"abhor" - a great word.

I guess this is one of those "nebulous" line issues. I don't take money for my extensions, though it's been offered; adding to the Fantasy Grounds experience is a labor of love for me. I would ask hired DMs to not use my extensions as a means to entice players to their tables. Don't advertise, hey we have this great Druid Wild Shapes extension, hire me.

The original intent of this extension was to make the game easier and more fun to play. Mostly for the player, but it benefits the DM too. Limiting access to the extension seems a bit self defeating. The extension is used less and so improved less. You brought a glaring oversight to my attention, and thank you for that.

In short, please don't use my freely given efforts as a means to add money to your wallet, but using the extension to accentuate the player experience is fine.

Thanks you for asking. Your thoughtfulness and conscientiousness is deeply appreciated.

Lilly Fireblade
March 13th, 2019, 00:42
Thank you, I wasn't planning on advertising your extension to draw people in. I will try to mention it only when needed then.

Minty23185Fresh
March 14th, 2019, 15:19
A few users of my extension have asked for "restriction relaxation" of the enforcement of PC class type, NPC type and level checking. (see posts #83, #91, #96 to name a few). I was going to do this but then had reservations about it (see post #97).

To make my extension more usable by more persons, I'll provide ways to circumvent the restriction enforcements here in this post. It typically involves modifications to the PC's or NPC's stat blocks. Usually minor, and to the best of my knowledge, of relative unimportance (mostly) from an FG functionality standpoint.

Some of these cheats might have been mentioned elsewhere but for completeness, here they are again, in one place.

PC Class: the extension only allows Druids to Wild Shape. If you're using a custom class then just change the name of the class to "Druid".
[EDIT] also see Bonkon’s imaginative cheat, post #250 of this thread.

NPC types: the extension requires the NPC to have a type of "Beast" or "Elemental" (and then specifically Air, Earth, Fire or Water). If you wish to allow Wild Shaping into other types of NPCs, say a Celestial, just change the NPC's type to "Beast".

Level checking: the extension uses the NPC's CR for level checking. Since you hopefully won't be attacking yourself, the CR of the NPC is unimportant I think. Just edit it, change it to zero and you can Wild Shape into that beast as soon as your PC is level 2. (I can't think of a way to relax the level 2 restriction, other than lying and changing your PC's level).

Fly and Swim restrictions: I don't know if or how Fantasy Grounds uses fly and swim speeds. To remove those restrictions, just edit the word "fly" and/or "swim" out of the speed field, changing them to another moniker would work too, like "f.l.y." or "s_w_i_m" but not "flying" or "swimming" because the root word is still in there. If I remember correctly changing the case (e.g. FLY) won't work either.

Primal Strike: changes the damage to be magical at PC level 6. This restriction is enforced in two ways, the feature "Primal Strike" must appear on the abilities tab. Just add the words, no description is needed. This would allow any Druid to have the feature. But I can't think of a way to circumvent the level six restriction. Probably the best way to circumvent this is to add the word "magic" to the NPC's weapon damage description. (In which case you probably do not need the "Primal Strike" ability.)

I think that's a complete list. For those of you wanting to "game" my extension, if I've missed something, let me know and I'll try to tell you how to cheat me.

Additionally. I have not tried all of these. I am just going off what I remember of my code. If I am in error, please let me know and I'll recant my lies. :)

To everybody using my extension, thank you very much. It's good to know of its utility.

Henrique Oliveira Machado
May 7th, 2019, 03:24
Best extension so far. it has to be incorporated into the core game!

Congrats dude!

xscapebb
May 24th, 2019, 16:59
Agree. This extension is top notch, sooooo well made. We (myself and my druid player) tested almost everything we could (trying to "break it") and found 0 problems/"gotcha"s… can't recommend this enough.

Bonkon
May 25th, 2019, 00:34
Good Day Minty23185Fresh :)
Is there a way to use this with the Polymorph spell, or does it require "Druid" and "Wildshape" for the Character/Target?

Awesome extension by the way, even though nobody is playing a Druid in my campaign I still got it for fun :)

Minty23185Fresh
May 25th, 2019, 01:12
Is there a way to use this with the Polymorph spell...
No it does not work with the polymorph spell.
(xscapebb, in a PM and Atua, post #64, have also asked. I have been PMing them to discuss supporting it. I will be working on a modification to DWSI in a week or two.)

Crabgore
May 31st, 2019, 00:13
So, i have this extension as a DM and my player druid have it. But, when players connect to me, they cant choose any extensions to load (they can choose extensions to load only in "manage characters" mode. they have demo-versions, i have ultimate). So when druid player drag beast to his players sheet he got message, that he doesnt have right extension. And me as a DM need to drag beast to his sheet and revert him back to normal form. What we doing incorrect or its normal to work like that?

Sorry for my english ;)

Zacchaeus
May 31st, 2019, 01:31
Hi Crabgire welcome to FG.

Only the DM can load extensions. I haven’t used this one but from reading how it works it would be the DM who does the dragging of the NPC into the player’s sheet since only the DM would have access to the NPCs.

Minty23185Fresh
May 31st, 2019, 05:58
Crabgore, as Zacchaeus says, only the DM chooses which extensions are loaded. But alas, the Sage is only partly correct with regard to who can cause Wild Shaping. Either the DM can do Wild Shaping or if the DM shares NPCs with the player, then the player can do the Wild Shaping. Since you the DM can Wild Shape the player’s character, but he/she cannot, either you have not shared any NPCs with the player or your player is not dragging/dropping the shared NPC on the correct area of the character sheet. He/she must drop the NPC on the area close to the character’s name. If they drop the NPC on the portrait or token the character will not Wild Shape. Please carefully read posts #2, #3 & #5 of this thread for more information on using this extension. If you continue to have issues please let me know.

Crabgore
May 31st, 2019, 09:43
Thank you for the information! I will try to share the NPC to the druid player and check the area where he drop the NPC.

TheOriginalBox
June 13th, 2019, 03:24
Hey Minty, my DM just loaded up this extension and it is amazing. The only issue we are having with it is this:

Script Error: [string "portrait"]:1: setPrototype: Invalid parameter

We get that error every time I (or the DM) wild shapes my character. We can click out of it and I still get the correct stats and skills and all, but that error pops up and my token doesn't seem to size correctly. Any ideas? This is the only extension we are using currently.

Minty23185Fresh
June 13th, 2019, 03:30
Yes. Do not drop the beast link on the portrait! Drop it on or around the PC’s name. (See instructions and discussions elsewhere in this thread.)

Lilly Fireblade
June 13th, 2019, 11:35
How do I share npc's with my players? the times I remember trying the normal right click --> Share routine that I do with maps and images there isn't a share button in the wheel.

LordEntrails
June 13th, 2019, 16:44
How do I share npc's with my players? the times I remember trying the normal right click --> Share routine that I do with maps and images there isn't a share button in the wheel.
Drag it to the PC portrait in the top left corner of FG.

Minty23185Fresh
June 13th, 2019, 16:47
How do I share npc's with my players?
Hi again Lilly.

The current process must be done in session or at least with the player connected (before or after session). Drag the NPCs that you wish to share on to the player's portrait (upper left corner of the DM's Fantasy Grounds desktop). This will share the NPC. The NPC is shared but still owned by the DM, so it is not editable by the player, e.g. the player can't change the token, the DM still has to do that.

The process mentioned is not very flexible. I have a version of my extension that I have been playing for a few months now that has more flexibility (at least in my mind it does). I have to rebuild it, post it and provide explanations. It will take me a few hours to get all that done.

([EDIT] Oops. Sorry LordEntrails I didn't see your post as I was droning on with this one.)

Tyrannosaurus VeX
June 13th, 2019, 20:47

Drag it to the PC portrait in the top left corner of FG.

Hi again Lilly.

The current process must be done in session or at least with the player connected (before or after session). Drag the NPCs that you wish to share on to the player's portrait (upper left corner of the DM's Fantasy Grounds desktop). This will share the NPC. The NPC is shared but still owned by the DM, so it is not editable by the player, e.g. the player can't change the token, the DM still has to do that.

The process mentioned is not very flexible. I have a version of my extension that I have been playing for a few months now that has more flexibility (at least in my mind it does). I have to rebuild it, post it and provide explanations. It will take me a few hours to get all that done.

([EDIT] Oops. Sorry LordEntrails I didn't see your post as I was droning on with this one.)

My solution is to have a bestiary module I made with my own tokens that I have available for players to load. I copied the NPC beasts from various sources into a new group, I edited them to add my tokens, then exported the module and made it available to players to load.

Then, in game, they have the bestiary module loaded, so they can simply click on it and find the appropriate NPC so I don't have to share them individually, etc. It's some work up front, finding and making tokens, but it's worth it in the long run and makes it easier for players and myself.

Lilly Fireblade
June 14th, 2019, 18:10
Thanks, Fg isn't the most user friendly thing around and is down right frustrating at times

Minty23185Fresh
June 16th, 2019, 04:22
For the DM sharing NPCs for player use can be frustrating, and possibly downright difficult if the DM wants to maintain some extra organization. To help mediate this I have added some helpful "sharing" functionality to the Druid Wild Shapes Implementor (DWSI)extension.

As I was adding the functionality to DWSI there were items that I demanded of the new version:

Automatic copying of an NPC stat block from the source book group to another specified group (in the NPC library).
Automatic sharing of NPC stat blocks with specified players.
Lists of shared NPCs, player by player basis.
Player modification of shared NPC tokens with minimal efforts by the DM.

This new version provides all this new functionality. What follows is an explanation of how to use it. All the work detailed in this post is done in the NPC Library. Bring up the NPC Library and let's get started.

These steps are shown and described in the following screenshot:
When you first bring up the NPC library, it's likely that "All" Group data will be displayed; the NPCs in every module you have open. To make it easier on yourself, consider closing modules you won't be sharing NPCs from. For instance I only left the Player's Handbook and the Monster Manual open. Click the little down arrow in the Group list to open up the list. Put the list in edit mode by clicking on the little brown-slash edit icon, then click the add group (green-plus-sign icon). A new group, titled "Group 1" (or Group 2 or 3 or... if you already have new groups with those titles) is added. Change the new group's name to "DWS: " followed by something short but descriptive. The descriptive text that you add is not particularly important because the program will modify it later. What is important here is the "DWS: " (and note, the space is mandatory) - much of the added functionality keys off the specialized naming convention. When you're done editing, click the brown-slash edit icon to take the list out of edit mode.

In the next screen shot I'll drag some NPCs into the new group (DWS: ….). In the screenshot I have narrowed the displayed list of NPCs down to those in the Monster Manual and using the library filters I selected out all NPCs except those with a CR of 1/4 and Type Beast. I dragged three into my new group, the Boar, the Giant Badger and the Giant Frog. For those familiar with the default behavior of the NPC library, simply dragging an NPC from the Monster Manual into another group moves the reference to the NPC out of the Monster Manual into the new group. Stated another way it looks like the NPC was removed from the Monster Manual and put into the new group. It hasn't really been removed, it just looks like it in the current campaign. To alleviate this problem the user needs to create a copy of the NPC then move the copy to the new group. But not when using v0.0.10 of DWSI. The extension takes care of copying the NPC and placing the copy in the intended group.

Another default behavior of the libraries is, whenever you are creating copies, moving NPCs, or somehow changing the list, the library re-sorts, and re-displays the list. So if you're working toward the bottom of the list, every time you want to add another NPC to your new group you have to navigate down to area you were working in. To prevent this abhorrent re-sort/redisplay behavior, I added multiselect functionality to the NPC library. Just hold down the control key (Ctrl) and click on the desired NPC links (the little brown shield). As you select then checkmarks are added. When you have all the NPCs that you wish to share, selected then right-click on the DWS: … group and choose the Paste option from the pop-up radial menu. All of this is shown in the following screenshot.

At this point the NPCs have not been shared with anyone, copies have been added to a list that will now be shared. One of the items I demanded of the new functionality is player maintenance of the NPC tokens. In order to effect this the player must be allowed edit access to the NPC stat block. That means they can change any stat they want, not just the token. If this is a concern for you, as the DM, do NOT follow through with the next set of instructions. Instead share each NPC in the DWS: … group, one at a time, by dragging the NPC from the DWS: … group on to the player's character sheet icon in the upper left corner of the Fantasy Grounds desktop. That said, if you trust your players to not wholesale trump up their Wild Shape NPCs then, in session, or while the player is otherwise connected, drag their character sheet portrait (from the upper left corner of the Fantasy Grounds desktop) on to the DWS: … group in the Group list. Note that the list must be in drop down mode, not single line mode. The following screenshot will help. Note that the result is a change in the DWS: … name. The new group name has the PC's name and the player's connection name. If the player ever changes their PC's name or their connection name, just redrag the portrait on to the DWS: group. Otherwise do not change the group name, DWSI uses the parts of the name to effect it's functionality.

Whenever you need to share more NPCs with your player just drag or multiselect/place them in the shared DWS: … group. DWSI will take care of the copying and sharing (ownership) of the NPCs you put in there.

Token sharing will be covered in the following post (part 2).

Minty23185Fresh
June 16th, 2019, 04:23
The functionality covered here, in this post is not new, it is not specific to the Druid Wild Shapes Implementor (DWSI) extension. I tripped over it while adding the enhanced sharing functions and since some users are having difficulties with NPC sharing and possibly token sharing I thought I'd put it all here in one place.

As a player, playing my second Druid character now, the first attended a TPK in Tomb of Annihilation, I wanted my own flair on Wild Shape tokens and I didn't want to have to ask my DM to maintain all of that for me, so as the designer of this extension I tried to take as much of that mundane responsibility away from my DM as I could. It is my understanding that tokens are simply 64x64 pixel image files (.png, .jpg). I created numerous tokens very quickly for the beasts in the 5e Monster Manual by going to the internet, screen capturing some images and then cropping and resizing them in Paint. True they're pictures rather than drawings, but if this bothers you I'm sure there are some (free) programs out there that will cartoon/caricaturize pictures into drawing like images. (I know there's at least one for the iPad.)

As the DM, you can share tokens with your players by dropping them into the ..\Fantasy Grounds\tokens\shared folder. To access the folder just click on the Shared button in the Token Library dialog. If you want to maintain some semblance of order, especially if you have more than one player contributing their tokens to you, you can create token bags in the library by adding subfolders in the shared folder. The following screenshot depicts this process.

A sharable token bag will appear in the Token Library. If the bag doesn't appear, I've found that FG needs a restart sometimes. Once you have access to the sharable token bag, to share it, just drag it on to the intended player's character sheet portrait (in the upper left corner of the Fantasy Grounds desktop). The player should now have access to their tokens (again, they might need a restart/reconnect to gain access). They can open the bag, open the intended target NPC (provided you've shared it with them), unlock (again provided you've decided to share that functionality with them), and drag-drop their token on to the NPC's stat block, then relock the NPC. This verbiage is illustrated in the following screenshot.

I'll get the extension posted, now. If you have difficulties please ask.

Bidmaron
June 16th, 2019, 14:34
Minty, this is really incredible work. Thanks for your contributions.
You can only share an NPC group with one player at a time right?

Minty23185Fresh
June 16th, 2019, 15:27
You can only share an NPC group with one player at a time right?
Yes. Correct. In most cases, I would think, you'll only have one Druid in your campaign, so it's not an issue. If there are two or more Druids, again I believe, they probably aren't clones of one another, so they quite probably would have different Wild Shape NPC lists. For example a Moon Druid would have a very different NPC list than a Land Druid. So maintaining a separate group for each Druid seems reasonable to me.

(And thanks kind Sir for the kudos. I am particularly happy with the multiselect feature that I added. I'd love to see it added to the ruleset functionality thereby available to each of the libraries. I might add it to my Field Filters extension.)

Minty23185Fresh
June 16th, 2019, 17:56
[Post #109]
Is there a way to use this with the Polymorph spell...

[Post #110]
No it does not work with the polymorph spell.
(xscapebb, in a PM and Atua, post #64, have also asked. I have been PMing them to discuss supporting it. I will be working on a modification to DWSI in a week or two.)
*Sigh*
Already almost a month and I haven't started working on this.
I have looked at spells that need support and have come up with these four:
Animal Shapes
Polymorph
Shapechange
True Polymorph

Any others I should be aware of?

Bidmaron
June 17th, 2019, 02:43
I would second adding it to corerpg....

Thirsterhall
June 20th, 2019, 14:00
Minty, I simply love this extension and hate playing a druid without it. One game I'm currently in has some home brew druid circles however that allow for some additional forms at set levels. I looked into tweaking your code to work with the new circles. I thought the least intrusive way to do it was let the player add a list of custom NPC names and the level they are available at to the feature list of the char sheet. For example my Druid circle allow me to wild shape into a Gargoyle at 6th and an Earth Elemental at 10th so I added the following 2 features to my char sheet:

DWS:Gargoyle:6
DWS:Earth Elemental:10

and can now wild shape into a Gargoyle at 6th level and an earth elemental at 10th.

The code changes are confined to the getWildShapeNode function. I won't claim its a cleanest code but you are welcome to the code to use/trash as you wish. If you are interested in my changes feel free to PM me and I'll pass them on.

TheOriginalBox
June 21st, 2019, 04:27
Thanks Minty, Best module for druids.

hagrid70
August 19th, 2019, 00:13
you put the extension file in your extensions folder, fire up the game. then you just drag an appropriately sized beast onto your druid of choice?
is that it? is this i8n the main window? the combat tracker? im sure im doing something wrong :)
please help me moron proof my game :)

OMG THIS WORKS AND IS AMAZING SIR!!! youre a goddamned wizard.
thank you so much.

kpackan
October 28th, 2019, 02:24
Hey Minty, I'm running a game with a friend who's playing a Moon Druid. We downloaded the EXT file, moved it into the 'extensions' folder of the FG Data section, but when he grabs the icon from the stat block of a creature and drops it into his character sheet nothing is happening. Is there anything we need to do to activate the extension? Or maybe something obvious we're missing? Thanks for the help!

Tyrannosaurus VeX
October 28th, 2019, 02:31
Hey Minty, I'm running a game with a friend who's playing a Moon Druid. We downloaded the EXT file, moved it into the 'extensions' folder of the FG Data section, but when he grabs the icon from the stat block of a creature and drops it into his character sheet nothing is happening. Is there anything we need to do to activate the extension? Or maybe something obvious we're missing? Thanks for the help!

Yes, when you load the table, you need to make sure the extension is checked as one of the extensions that is loading with the table.

donpaulo
October 28th, 2019, 02:52
Another possibility is if you are dragging the wrong "tag" to the character sheet

If I recall correctly, you need to drag the "square" monster stat block and drop it on the token area of the character sheet

Henrique Oliveira Machado
October 28th, 2019, 20:24

Drag and drop into the NAME of the character. it'll change instantly. It works for me.

Yogel
November 13th, 2019, 09:25
I'm not sure this has been addressed before, but I didn't see it in the known bugs. Whenever I move an image to another group, or use the encounter tool to add enemies to the combat tracker I get an error message. The image still moves groups, but when using the encounter tool the enemies' tokens are not placed on the map.

The error is:
s'Functionality only allowed in NPC recordset library.

I went through my extension list and disabled everything, and tested them all individually. Yours is the only one I had this issue with.

I love the extension btw.

Minty23185Fresh
November 13th, 2019, 23:08
@Yogel I apologize up front, but from your description I cannot get a complete handle on what you're attempting to do. Let me break it down, get some answers from you and then see if I can come up to speed and address your issues.

Whenever I move an image to another group, ...
DWSI doesn't manipulate images, it uses NPC library stat blocks to manipulate the player's character sheet. Are you saying that you are using the NPC Library to share NPCs with one of your players? That you're using DWSI's new functionality, which creates copies of NPCs, it doesn't move them, and puts the copy in a special NPC Group that is uses to share the NPC stat blocks with a designated player?

... or use the encounter tool to add enemies to the combat tracker I get an error message. The image still moves groups, but when using the encounter tool the enemies' tokens are not placed on the map.
When you built the encounters in the encounter tool did you use the shared player's copy of the NPC or did you use NPC copy that is still in the Monster Manual (or Adventure Module)? If you built your encounter with the player shared copy then it doesn't surprise me that you received the error you mention.

The above also seems to me to be irrelevant. You as the DM would never put the NPC that the Druid will Wild Shape into the combat tracker or on the map. You put the player's Druid into those venues. The DWSI extension then takes care of changing the Druid's icon in both the combat tracker and on the map from the Druid token to the beast token when the Druid Wild Shapes and back again when the Druid reverts.

The error is: Functionality only allowed in NPC recordset library.
This is actually a warning message, not an error message. It is telling you that whatever you're doing is not allowed. It is the wrong way to do what ever you're tring to accomplish. An example would be dragging a beast from the combat tracker, or the encounter tool on to the player's character sheet, in an attempt to Wild Shape the character. Another example would be trying to drag an NPC link from the story block of an adventure module, from the combat tracker or from anywhere other than the NPC Library when trying to share the NPC with your player. In all cases, the message is telling you that that can only be done in the NPC Library window.

Minty23185Fresh
November 14th, 2019, 01:43
@kpackan
Did the troubleshooting suggestions put forth by Tyrannosaurus VeX, donpaulo, and Henrique Oliveira Machado help you get going?

As they detail, the extension must be properly loaded, the source data and destination target all have to correct.

Yogel
November 15th, 2019, 00:42
As far as the encounters, I was using the built in encounters for Lost Mines. I tried recreating this in a fresh game, but it worked just fine, so no sure what's going on there. The other issue though I think it's best I just show you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_vhouKfZ7gKnRuFpaRoQCgNyXq8PkTyP/view?usp=sharing

That is a link to a video explanation of what's going on.

Minty23185Fresh
November 15th, 2019, 03:45
@Yogel Thanks. That video really helped. I fully understand now. That is a bug. I’ll look into it. Thanks again
(If you would, please leave the video on the Google share for a couple weeks. I’m pretty busy right now and I will undoubted want to refer to it again a couple times.)

Yogel
November 15th, 2019, 04:43
No problem. I'll leave the video up for you until you don't need it.

Minty23185Fresh
November 20th, 2019, 17:50
No problem. I'll leave the video up for you until you don't need it.

I'm done. I won't need the video any more. Again thank you. The video idea was brilliant. When users of my extensions have difficulties, I'm going to suggest that they make a video for me. I can follow the exact steps needed to observe and repeat the problem.

As far as this issue is concerned. It was a momentary lack of logical thinking on my part. The warning message is simply inappropriate. As near as I can tell, the functionality is correct: the item is moved to the new group and if the library is not the NPC library, the items (and group) are not shared.

In other words I put a warning message that is not needed into my code. You can simply ignore the warning message. If that is irksome to you. I have attached v0.0.11 to this post, an interim release or patch, as it were. Releasing this as mainline (in post one of this thread) and having everyone update, seems over the top to me. I'll add a caveat/know issue to post five of the thread, with a mention of this fix.

As far as the other problem is concerned, I could not repeat the issue. If you see it again, please let me know.

Yogel
November 21st, 2019, 01:10
I've worked in the IT field for over a decade now. I've found it's generally the best way to see what's happening short of actually observing the system first hand.

Again, not a problem at all. Just glad I could help!

lbkoerich
December 26th, 2019, 18:24
This is so beautifully implemented! I whish I could pay you for this incredible extension.

Unfortunately, I'm moving to Unity. I tested the extension in Unity and, of course, it not worked. Do you plan to adapt it to Unity?

Thanks

Minty23185Fresh
December 26th, 2019, 19:10
...beautifully implemented...
Thank you very much, I appreciate it...

...I wish I could pay you for this incredible extension..
Again thanks, but it’s just something I wanted to share. $ just muddies the water.

...I'm moving to Unity. I tested the extension in Unity and, of course, it not worked. Do you plan to adapt it to Unity?
I’m sure I’ll be moving to Unity also. Thanks for letting me know about the incompatibility. I too figured as much. I hope to migrate it to Unity.

The unfortunate aspect on my end is, there are so many other things I want to do, and am doing, that migrating my extensions yet again to a Fantasy Grounds update is pretty much at the bottom of the list. It is so unfulfilling, and mind numbingly boring. But that rant verbalized, I’ll obviously have to move this up on the priority list.

Unlike many, I am not anxiously awaiting FGU’s release so I haven’t been keeping track. It’s here when it’s here. So when is the projected release?

LordEntrails
December 26th, 2019, 20:16
Unlike many, I am not anxiously awaiting FGU’s release so I haven’t been keeping track. It’s here when it’s here. So when is the projected release?
2020. Don't know more than that.

Minty23185Fresh
December 26th, 2019, 20:24
2020. Don't know more than that.
Thank you Sir. I simply cannot expect a more reputable source than you.

Gozer the Gozerian
December 27th, 2019, 15:48
Perhaps this is intended functionality, but when I tested this in my game, the NPCs were shared correctly, but the player could not see the Group name. He just saw NPCs on his side. Is that how this is intended, and if so, is it possible to make it so that the player sees the group as well? The reason is, I have the Player's Handbook, and the player could then see both the Player's Handbook versions of the creatures as well as the shared DWS versions I created (with appropriate tokens). I'd like for him to be able to choose to see just the shared creatures, to avoid switching into the wrong ones.

Minty23185Fresh
December 29th, 2019, 05:51
@Gozer the Gozerian
I recall seeing this behavior when I first added the “sharing” enhancement. It’s the “default” behavior, meaning I didn’t purposely design it that way, it’s just the way Fantasy Grounds shares the NPCs with the client. At the time this seemed okay with me. I can’t recall, if the DM shares say both the Player’s Handbook and the Monster Manual with their players, are the NPCs grouped separately? It seems to me as though groups might not exist on the client end. (I could very well be wrong, I just don’t recall.) Anyway if I’m guessing correctly that groups don’t exist on the client, they’re just available to the DM, then it might be a difficult option to effect. I’ll look into it.

Gozer the Gozerian
December 29th, 2019, 05:54
Ok, that makes sense then. The player said that he didn't see any groups. I believe that they were sorted alphabetically. If that's the case, I can come up with a workaround, such as putting an asterisk in the name or something that would be visible on his end to tell the NPCs apart. Thanks for the reply.

Minty23185Fresh
December 29th, 2019, 17:38
@Gozer the Gozerian
Okay. What I said in post #148 of this thread is mostly untrue... Mostly.

To start, it appears as though the only book that automatically shares NPCs with the players is the Player's Handbook. All of the other books that I own, which is not extensive, do not wholesale share NPCs with the players (which makes sense). And, more importantly, the player (client) does have groups in their copy of the NPC library.

As noted, the "DWS: …" group defined by the DM does not show up in the client's NPC library. However, given my limited investigation of this issue, it doesn't seem to me to be of sufficient magnitude for me to add the code to DWSI to implement it. The following screenshot will hopefully explain why.

Explanation: This is the player's (client's) copy of the NPC's library. The Player's Handbook is available to the player, and the player has accessed it. As the DM I shared the Allosaurus NPC with the player (using DWSI's functionality). There is a default segregation of the shared NPCs: the PHB group and the New group. The Allosaurus belongs to the "New" group - though it is unlabeled. If the player wishes to access only the "DWS: …" shared NPCs they can select the "New" Group. This will display only the "DWS: …" shared NPCs.

A "shortsightedness" does exist though. If the DM were to share NPCs for different reasons, a set for DWSI and another set of NPCs for something else specific to the campaign, all the shared NPCs other than those from the PHB would be clumped into the New group. For instance I shared the Allosaurus in Dragon Heist with the player (just dragging the Allosaurus on to the player's icon) and there is no distinction between the two.

Zacchaeus
December 29th, 2019, 18:03
Shared items (of whatever nature) are just shared - no information is passed about what group the items was in. Players can't create groups so shared items are all placed in the New (default) group. Groups exist for modules that are shared and the players will see those groups because those are included in the module.

Minty23185Fresh
December 30th, 2019, 01:17
Ahh. Thank you Zacchaeus. My little experiments seemed to indicate that, but confirmation by you is indeed appreciated.

ocelost
February 7th, 2020, 12:36
Hi, Minty. Thank you so much for working on this and sharing it with the rest of us! Your extension looks very helpful.

I may have discovered a problem, though:
I suspect you're incorrectly calculating the skill bonuses when in Wild Shape.

As a reminder for anyone reading along, a character's skill bonuses (not the proficiency bonus!) are the numbers in the Total fields on the Skills tab. They are derived from four values:

(A) ability modifier
(B) proficiency bonus
(M) proficiency multiplier
(X) miscellaneous bonus

The formula is: A + (B × M) + X

A is the ability modifier relevant to the skill in question.
B is 0, or the proficiency bonus if the character is proficient in the skill.
M is 1 usually, but can be 2 (double) or .5 (half) in some cases (PHB pg.173).
X is 0 unless you enter something in the MISC field (e.g. a magic item effect).

Meanwhile, beasts (like all monsters) have precalculated static skill bonuses in their stat block, so there is no need to derive them from a formula.

Regarding Wild Shape transformations, the rules say:

"Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficien*cies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature's bonus instead of yours."

With that in mind, one of your Wild Shape skill bonuses stands out:

"Tthe total Skill bonuses (ability + proficiency), for the Skills that have proficiencies are:"
[...]
"Perception (Wis) +2 (+3) = +5"

The druid's perception bonus is +3. (derived: 3 + (0 × 1) + 0)
The weasel's perception bonus is +3. (static, from its stat block)
Yet you assigned +5 to the wild shape, which means you used neither the druid's bonus nor the weasel's bonus.

If I understand your explanation, you got +5 as follows:

1. Disregard the rules' direction to compare the character's bonus to the one in the creature's stat block and use the latter if it is higher.
2. Ignore the specific skill bonus printed in the weasel's stat block.
3. Cherry pick the general proficiency bonus printed for CR 1/8 monsters: +2 (You actually reverse engineered it, but there was no need, since it is printed in the Monster Manual.)
4. Cherry pick the druid's wisdom ability modifier: 3.
5. Use those two values, picked from different creatures, to derive a completely new skill bonus that is higher than the skill of either creature: 3 + (2 × 1) + 0 = +5.

The Wild Shape rules are worded awkwardly, but after re-reading them several times, I'm pretty sure this approach breaks them. The "specific beats general" rule seems to be broken here as well.

Even if I didn't care about the rules as written, I think I would still feel like I was cheating if I used this approach. I don't imagine that the designers intended Wild Shape to grant a proficiency exceeding that of both man and beast.

(I have a little trouble believing that they intended for pencil-and-paper players to manually calculate every skill bonus for every beast form, too. That seems like far too much work. Surely they must have had the simpler "pick one or the other" approach in mind.)

I guess maybe you got the idea from that Sage Advice podcast (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/chris-avellone-and-philip-daigle-planescape-torment-enhanced-edition), wherein Jeremy Crawford suggests using the character's proficientcy bonus with the creature's dexterity modifier to derive a new stealth skill bonus. However, he also made three important clarifying points:

1. His example demonstrates a specific case where the character gains the creature's physical attributes while retaining his knowledge of the skill. This does not apply to our druid/weasel example, because the skill in question is not a physical skill.
2. It requires both the player and the creature to be proficient in the skill. Again, this does not apply to our druid/weasel example because our druid is not proficient in perception.
3. When comparing stats to determine who is better at the skill, the player's stats are compared to the creature's stat block. Since creature stat blocks do not list a proficiency bonus, but do list skill bonuses, we must conclude that he means to compare each party's skill bonus. (This makes sense, since any value not shown in a stat block would be unknown to players who have only the Player's Handbook as a reference.) Note that the deception skill bonus in our weasel's stat block is +3, which is the same as our druid's, not greater. If our druid was actually proficient in perception, his skill bonus would be +5, and we would obviously use that value in Wild Shape, but that simply is not the case in our example.

By the way, that podcast addresses a similar issue around 28 minutes in, where Jeremy considers the idea of combining a multiclass Druid/Monk's Unarmored Defense feature with the AC of a Wild Shape beast. Once again, he says you choose the higher of the two, but "you don't somehow cobble them together to come up with some [...] monstrously high armor class." This reinforces my view that Wild Shape should not grant a proficiency exceeding that of both man and beast.

kerrigaj
February 7th, 2020, 13:33
Player Cannot Transform into Wild Shape - GM Functionality is Fine

I have been using the DWSI extension for many months and love it. Recently, however, the Druid player indicated that dragging a beast to their token on their character sheet no longer transformed their character. This still works fine on the GM side. Has anyone else observed this behaviour and have a fix? Thanks in advance.

Minty23185Fresh
February 8th, 2020, 05:39
Player Cannot Transform into Wild Shape - GM Functionality is Fine
I have been using the DWSI extension for many months and love it. Recently, however, the Druid player indicated that dragging a beast to their token on their character sheet no longer transformed their character. This still works fine on the GM side. Has anyone else observed this behaviour and have a fix? Thanks in advance.

kerrigaj I just tested DWSI with Fantasy Grounds version 3.3.9. It worked for me. I have highlighted a portion of your post (above), your player should not be dragging the NPC link onto the token or the portrait part of the character sheet. Drag it on to the PC's name.

Now maybe you just misspoke. And your player is dragging the NPC link (the little brown shield) onto the proper area of the character sheet. A question then, have you started using another new extension, one that you weren't using previously? Please eliminate all other extensions, only use DWSI. If the issue is remedied then we have an inter-extension conflict we will need to troubleshoot.

I hope this helps. Thanks for using DWSI. And thanks for the feedback.

[EDIT] I contacted kerrigaj via PM, kerrigaj is still investigating... (as of Feb 15)

Minty23185Fresh
February 8th, 2020, 06:43
@ocelost Welcome to the forums.

You’ve taken a great deal of time and effort, researching my extension, and weighed in with such a lengthy argument for your first post. I am flattered. I don’t believe anyone has gone to such efforts with respect to one of my extensions before. Thank you.

I’m sorry, but I am confused. After reading your post (multiple times in fact), have you used the extension and found it to be in error? Or are you just explaining to me that my posts are in error?

If you have found that the extension, in use, is in error, please provide screen shots and concise details of the issue. And I’ll try to fix it.

But if it’s the latter, that calculations in my posts are errant, it’s possible that the issue was recognized and fixed in the extension, but I neglected to go back and correct my posts.

If my extension is functioning properly, and my documentation is in error, my documentation may, or may not ever be corrected. I’m a selfish lout, I wrote the extension for me, for my use in a campaign. I thought it might be useful to others, so I posted it. I’ve since moved on, that character has retired, that campaign is over.

As a contributor to the Fantasy Grounds community I will try to keep the extension up to date and functional, but I can’t promise.

Thanks again for informing me that I have an error, somewhere in my work, I don’t yet know where - if it’s in the extension itself I will try to get it remedied.

ocelost
February 8th, 2020, 07:19
have you used the extension and found it to be in error?

I have not. I was evaluating whether to try your extension, because it looked like it could make things easier for both me and my DM. Being cautious about any code that fiddles with my data or game balance, part of my evaluation was to analyze your demo screen shots to be sure that (a) I understand what it's doing and (b) it's doing what I expect it to do.

Since I don't believe the behavior in your screen shots is correct, I am reluctant to recommend it to my DM, or entrust my data or the balance of our campaign to it.

it’s possible that the issue was recognized and fixed in the extension, but I neglected to go back and correct my posts.

Fair enough. If you're suggesting that I now install and test your latest code, I'll keep the idea in mind, but I have already spent quite a few hours on this and can't really spare any more time at the moment. I believe I have given you enough detail to verify the problem at your leisure.

I’m a selfish lout, I wrote the extension for me, for my use in a campaign.

Haha... Yes, I can certainly relate to that point of view.

In any case, thanks for responding gracefully to criticism, and thanks again for for sharing your work.

Cheers!

Minty23185Fresh
February 8th, 2020, 15:37
@ocelost
I completely understand and concur with your concern about the data being diddled. That’s why I specifically suggest, in post #1 of the thread that you back up (xml export) your character. I personally back up my character, before and after every session. (Heck, the DM’s hard disk might crash.)

I also, concur with your concern of, “this guy has shoddy or erroneous documentation” so just how crappy is his other work (the extension). A valid point and one I must rethink - I should look at both again and correct the one that is wrong. Until I hear otherwise though, I am of the opinion that the error exists in the posts and not the code. (That’s the only one you’ve tested.)

The extension has been in existence for about a year and a quarter now (original post Dec 8, 2018). A major rewrite of the code occurred a year ago, see post #84. Since then the guts have been stable. The code has been pretty much unchanged since then (to my recollection). Added to but the wild shaping code has not been changed.

The current version has been downloaded 512 times as of this morning, I don’t have a clue as to how many of those downloads are actually being used. Nor do I know if some users are staying with older versions. (I wish I had those numbers.)

If you peruse the thread (not that you’d actually want to do this), you’ll note that I have tried to respond to errors in functionality in a timely and positive manner.

As I see it there are three options for you:
1) go at it manually. I found this to be completely unacceptable. You have to pre-wild shape (modify the stat block of) every beast you might wish to wild shape into so that your DM can drop it into the combat tracker when you wild shape. After about two, I was ready to find another class for my character.
2) give my extension a try, in and out of session. If you’re worried about purposeful malware in an extension, it’s my belief that the software developers of Smiteworks have gone to great pains to prevent this possibility. We, extension writers, have very limited scope of what can be mod-ed.
3) there is a for sale version on the DMG or Drive Thru RPG web sites, I have been told. I know nothing about it, just that it exists. You might feel more comfortable with a “professional” version.

I guess a forth option is you or someone you know could write an extension to do what you want and you’d feel more comfortable with that.

I hope you find an acceptable solution; one you’re comfortable with and trust.

Again, welcome to the forums and FG.

ocelost
February 11th, 2020, 00:56
Problem confirmed, using DWSI v0.0.11.

I created a level 2 moon druid with 18 wisdom, not proficient in perception, so the perception bonus was +4. I then dropped in a dire wolf, which is proficient in perception with a bonus of +3. The resulting wild shape should have perception +4, but DWSI gives it +6.

Minty23185Fresh
February 11th, 2020, 01:22
Thank you ocelost for your perseverance, I appreciate it. I’ll get to this and get it fixed.

[EDIT] After reviewing my calculations, I believe them to be correct. There is nothing to be fixed.

Azimuth
February 11th, 2020, 01:34
Just a quick note to thank you, Minty, for creating this extension; I have recently started using FG and had hit the complications of trying to manage Druid Wild Shape in the last session, so finding this extension and discovering how much it does has really lifted my spirits :)

Regarding the issue of the perception bonus that ocelost mentions above, I'd also been a bit confused by the unexpected increase in perception and passive perception bonus, but on reading your posts and this particular phrase from the Player's Handbook:

You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature.

I've realised that a PC who doesn't have proficiency in perception will gain an extra proficiency +2 bonus from that of eg. the brown bear shape which has an explicit +3 perception bonus (ie. the brown bear has proficiency in perception), meaning the numbers add up.

I admit I haven't let my players loose with the extension yet; I'll report back with any surprises, but for now - thank you so much for creating it!

Minty23185Fresh
February 11th, 2020, 01:51
Thank you Azimuth for giving my extension a try. And thank you for adding to the conversation.

I do recall spending an inordinate amount of time trying to get the skills right. I do plan to re-examine my calculations and work through ocelost’s as I attempt to reconcile this.

Minty23185Fresh
February 15th, 2020, 18:25

I created a level 2 moon druid with 18 wisdom, not proficient in perception, so the perception bonus was +4. I then dropped in a dire wolf, which is proficient in perception with a bonus of +3. The resulting wild shape should have perception +4, but DWSI gives it +6.

To investigate ocelost's claim I too did this things, (level 2 moon druid with WIS 18, not proficient in perception, then wild shaped to dire wolf). Confirmed DWSI calculates the wild shaped druid's perception skill bonus to be +6.

I disagree with ocelost's claim that the +6 value is wrong. Here is why.

From the Player's Handbook:
"Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment and your Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If both you and the creature have the same proficiency, use only the higher bonus."

Factors applicable to wild shape perception bonus
From the Druid:

Retain Wisdom score: WIS = 18, Wisdom bonus = +4
Retain skill (Perception) proficiency = +0

From the Dire Wolf

Gain those of the creature...
The Dire Wolf has a Perception Proficiency of +2, here's why.
The Dire Wolf has a WIS ability score of 12, with a Wisdom bonus of +1
The Dire Wolf has an explicitly stated Perception of +3
Skill proficiency bonuses are composed of the appropriate ability's bonus plus any proficiency in that skill.
Therefore the Dire Wolf's stated Perception of +3 is composed of the Wisdom bonus +1 and a proficiency of +2

Wild Shaped Druid

Perception skill bonus = ability score + skill proficiency
Druid WIS ability bonus = +4 (retained)
Druid Perception skill proficiency = +0 (ignored, Dire Wolf's is higher)
Dire Wolf WIS ability score = +1 (ignored, Druid's is retained)
Dire Wolf Perception skill proficiency =+2 (used, gain those of the creature, which is higher)
Wild Shaped Druid's Perception bonus = +6 (Druid's retained ability bonus + Dire Wolf's skill proficiency)

Conclusion: DWSI calculates the correct value and does not need fixing.

Which, by the way, is just as Azimuth stated in his post (#161) in this thread.
Thank you Azimuth for confirming my calculations (using the Brown Bear as opposed to the Dire Wolf).

ocelost
February 15th, 2020, 20:51
"Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment and your Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If both you and the creature have the same proficiency, use only the higher bonus."

Where did you find that text? I'm looking at three different copies of the Player's Handbook rules: 1st printing, 12th printing, and the dndbeyond.com-licensed text (https://www.dndbeyond.com/classes/druid). All of them contain the paragraph you quoted above, except for that third sentence, which does not appear in any of them. Instead, the third sentence reads as follows:

"If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature's bonus instead of yours."

If you have been relying upon the sentence you quoted instead the latter, I guess that could explain why your understanding of the rules differs from mine. (Side note: the book also contains a fourth sentence in that paragraph, regarding legendary and lair actions.) Are you working with a pre-release copy of the rules? Perhaps a draft copy that doesn't include later corrections?

Druid Perception skill proficiency = +0 (ignored, Dire Wolf's is higher)
Dire Wolf Perception skill proficiency =+2 (used, gain those of the creature, which is higher)

You're ignoring the rules here. In the test case, the dire wolf does not have the same proficiency as the druid, because the druid does not have the proficiency at all. Furthermore, the bonus in the dire wolf's stat block is not higher, because +3 is not higher than +4. Yet, you are choosing to use the creature's higher values anyway.

I really don't want to be a pest. It's your code, after all, and it's certainly your prerogative to make it do whatever you like, regardless of what the rules say. However, I think your choice in this case is misleading people, and I feel some responsibility to warn other players and DMs who come across this extension that it might not be doing what they think.

Also, if your choice is founded on a printing discrepancy, I think it would be interesting to identify it.

Minty23185Fresh
February 15th, 2020, 20:59
Player's Handbook as per Fantasy Grounds.
(I can’t afford that many copies of a WotC publication. I just have that one.)

LordEntrails
February 15th, 2020, 21:10
Note that the FG version of the PHB (and everything else) should be updated with the latest errata. But can be verified by searching for the errata online.

ocelost
February 15th, 2020, 21:19
Player's Handbook as per Fantasy Grounds.
(I can’t afford that many copies of a WotC publication. I just have that one.)

Ah, I see. It's worth noting that I have found problematic text in Fantasy Grounds as recently as last week, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they messed this one up, too. I'll take a look at what it has to say about Wild Shape, and maybe submit a bug report to them.

You might want to look at the dndbeyond text (https://www.dndbeyond.com/classes/druid) that I linked earlier, and maybe borrow a print copy of the Player's Handbook or ask someone to read the paragraph in question from their copy.

But can be verified by searching for the errata online.

I just checked, and there is nothing in the errata (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf) about this. That makes sense, though, since (as far as I can tell) the text I quoted has been exactly the same since the first printing of the book.

LordEntrails
February 15th, 2020, 21:47
The most recent PHB Errata I can find is November 2018; https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/errata-november-2018 But is only has a minor change about Druid spells.

[New] Preparing and Casting Spells (p. 66). In the first sentence, “your spells” is now “your druid spells.”

The previous Errata from 2016 has nothing on Druids at all; https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PH-Errata-V1.pdf

Mr Z might know the source of the FG PHB.

I'm guessing any changes between the printings are undocumented... Not sure what that means though :O

Zacchaeus
February 15th, 2020, 22:22
The original pdf used to create the PHB is lost in time. The one that I have which was obtained from WotC last year has the wording that ocelost mentions in post #164.

I've taken a note to update the Druid with that text.

Minty23185Fresh
February 15th, 2020, 22:28
My interpretation of this is:
"Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment and your Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores."

Pertains to Ability Scores and Ability bonuses.
For the Druid WIS=18, bonus=+4
For the Dire Wolf WIS=12, bonus=+1

"You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature."

Pertains only to proficiencies.
For the Druid Perception proficiency=none, or numerically +0
For the Dire Wolf Perception proficiency=yes, or numerically +2

" If both you and the creature have the same proficiency, use only the higher bonus."

Again pertains only to proficiencies.
For the Druid Perception proficiency=none, or numerically +0
For the Dire Wolf Perception proficiency=yes, or numerically +2

The bonus applied to the die for a skill roll = the ability modifier or bonus + the proficiency expressed numerically.

Here is the crux of how my calculation of the bonus is derived:

Per the Monster Manual stat block, the stated perception for a Dire Wolf = +3.
This is the total bonus applied to the monsters die roll.
Per the stat block, the WIS ability bonus = +1.
Therefore the numerical value for the proficiency of the Dire Wolf Perception skill = +2.
Total Proficiency bonus for the Wild Shape = +4 (Druid's ability bonus) +2 (Dire Wolf skill proficiency bonus) = +6

Dire Wolf WIS ability score = +1 (ignored, Druid's is retained)

You're ignoring the rules here. In the test case, the dire wolf does not have the same proficiency as the druid, because the druid does not have the proficiency at all. Furthermore, the bonus in the dire wolf's stat block is not higher, because +3 is not higher than +4. Yet, you are choosing to use the creature's higher values anyway.

I am not ignoring the rules. I am applying them as stated.
You have chosen to compare total skill bonuses not proficiency bonuses. To compare proficiency bonuses you must use mathematically derived numeric values.

I really don't want to be a pest. It's your code, after all, and it's certainly your prerogative to make it do whatever you like, regardless of what the rules say. However, I think your choice in this case is misleading people, and I feel some responsibility to warn other players and DMs who come across this extension that it might not be doing what they think.
I have tried to be nice, and address your concerns. However at this point you are becoming a pest, and for some reason you have decided to disparage my work on some sort of personal crusade against me. It is obvious that you don't want to use the extension, so don't. As a matter of fact, please don't. I don't need, nor want you as a user. My conversation with you is now over.

ocelost
February 15th, 2020, 23:01
for some reason you have decided to disparage my work on some sort of personal crusade against me.

Sigh. It's a bug report, not personal. As a wizard once said, "I am not trying to rob you, but to help you."

I don't need, nor want you as a user. My conversation with you is now over.

Ouch. Okay. Good luck out there.

Azimuth
February 16th, 2020, 13:55
As another way of verifying wild shape calculations, if you have access to D&D Beyond (considered by WOTC to be an official digital toolset for D&D, eg.: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/114911/is-dd-beyond-an-official-rules-source/114912#114912), it's possible to create a level 2 druid, add specific wild shape creature options, then D&D Beyond will calculate a new wildshaped stat block for your new form. This is done through the Extras tab (choose 'Manage Extras', then 'Add an Extra', then pick 'Wildshape' from the drop-down menu and choose a creature).

For instance - here's the character sheet for a level 2 druid with WIS 18 belonging to Circle of the Moon, with no proficiency in perception but a +4 skill bonus:

Here's the Dire Wolf stat block - the Skills section lists skills in which the dire wolf is proficient ("The Skills entry is reserved for monsters that are proficient in one or more skills. For example, a monster that is very perceptive and stealthy might have bonuses to Wisdom (Perception) and Dexterity (Stealth) checks." from https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/mm/introduction#Skills):

And here's the D&D Beyond-calculated Dire Wolf wildshape form showing combined skills / proficiencies and a +6 bonus to perception (right-hand side of the image):

The wildshaped dire wolf stat block shows it has inherited STR, DEX and CON from the dire wolf, kept INT, WIS and CHA from the druid. The skills section shows that the proficiencies of both druid and dire wolf have been merged, but that the dire wolf's perception proficiency bonus of +2 has been added onto the druid's inherited WIS ability modifier of +4, as according to "Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature’s bonus instead of yours. If the creature has any legendary or lair actions, you can’t use them." (https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/phb/classes#WildShape)

In summary, WOTC's official digital toolset, D&D Beyond, matches the calculations presented in post #163, and can be used to verify other wild shape combinations too.

Minty23185Fresh
February 16th, 2020, 14:55
As another way of verifying wild shape calculations, if you have access to D&D Beyond (considered by WOTC to be an official digital toolset for D&D,...

In summary, WOTC's official digital toolset, D&D Beyond, matches the calculations presented in post #163, and can be used to verify other wild shape combinations too.
Thank you Azimuth. Having confirmation of my work by an official third party source allays those residual doubts...

I haven’t explored obtaining D&D Beyond since I have limited financial resources (retired) to devote to this wonderful pastime. It surprises me that ocelost didn’t do this verification. ocelost implied they had access to D&D Beyond.

Again thank you, very much.

Minty23185Fresh
February 16th, 2020, 18:57
A user of the Druid Wild Shapes Implementor Extension (DWSI) PM'ed me with a concern that DWSI had munged their character. I have confirmed that, because of the way the user set up their character, their user defined powers on the Actions tab disappeared. Below I'll present the bug followed by a work-around, that should suffice, until I get this fixed. (The work-around is probably a pretty good practice in general, regardless of DWSI usage.)

The Bug:
In the following screenshot there are three depictions of the Actions tab of the player character. In the left panel, I have added two combat actions to the character, Dodge and Help. Note that they are in the default Power Group, "Powers", as indicated by the "Powers" group title bar and the lack of a specifically enumerated group in the "Group" text box. In the second, middle panel, I have Wild Shaped the PC for the first time to a Wolf. Note how the two combat actions have been absorbed into the "Actions - Wild Shape" group. This occurs because when DWSI programmatically creates a group, prior to renaming it, the default group name is "Powers" (oops). When the PC is reverted, the Wild Shape powers are discarded, as shown in the right-most panel. The absorbed user defined combat actions are discarded with the actual wild shape powers.
The Work-Around:
It's probably obvious what the work-around is, but for completeness I'll present it in the screenshot below. Just make sure your user defined powers are in a specifically defined group, that is not named "Powers". As shown in the left panel, as I defined them I placed them in the "Actions" group. When the PC is Wild Shaped for the first time, center panel, my user defined powers remain in their own group, and are not absorbed into the "Actions - Wild Shape" group. So they are not discarded upon revert and depicted in the right panel.
As I stated above, putting your user defined powers in a non-default named group might be a good practice to adopt, even outside DWSI. Note that you can do this with spells and such, but that invites all sorts of constant group switching, so just doing it with user defined powers is best. Another thing to note, this only occurs the first time you Wild Shape. After DWSI establishes the "Actions - Wild Shape" group, it looks for the group to drop the beast's actions into, so it doesn't need to create the default group. (Of course if you delete DWSI's special group, you can make DWSI misbehave again.)

kyleeliason
February 17th, 2020, 22:41
Minty - this absolutely amazing. Totally blew my Druid player away. Thanks so much for taking the time to make this.
One question - do you recommend downloading the v11 or v10 version? I see a link buried in the middle of this chain for v11 but you have v10 pinned at the top.

Minty23185Fresh
February 17th, 2020, 22:56
One question - do you recommend downloading the v11 or v10 version? I see a link buried in the middle of this chain for v11 but you have v10 pinned at the top.
v11 is in post 141 (I believe). As I mentioned there it was such a minor change, one line of errant code that output a warning message that wasn’t appropriate, it seemed silly to have everyone update. Especially, since most users would never see the message. I was warning about something that didn’t need a warning....

In actually, it doesn’t matter unless the warning message pops up for you and is either irksome or confusing.

After all that blather, since you know the new one exists and where it is and why it is, I’d use v11.

And Thank you for giving the extension a try.

ocelost
February 18th, 2020, 19:43
Just a quick follow-up for anyone following the skill bonus / proficiency discussion: It turns out the D&D lead rules designer has already addressed this issue (https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/558355703530672128):

"The intent is that the druid uses the bonus in the beast's stat block for any proficiency the druid lacks."

It was also published on Sage Advice (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/23/wildshape-with-proficiency/), along with the "official answer" tag.

Minty23185Fresh
February 19th, 2020, 16:46
A little more information related to post #174. Working with the DWSI user who reported possible scrambling of his character, we’ve come up with nothing else besides the loss of user defined Actions (on the Actions tab) as detailed in #174. To that end here are some recommendations (that have been stated elsewhere in this thread), restated here, as a reminder, for your convenience:
1) Don’t put/leave user defined powers in FG’s default “Powers” group. Put them in an explicitly named group.
2) Once the DWSI “Actions - Wild Shape” power group has been instantiated, even though it may be empty, at times, don’t delete it.
3) Export you character, as a backup, from time to time. (I still do this after every session.)

Minty23185Fresh
March 17th, 2020, 19:30
While working on a Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor extension (BIDI) I noticed an issue with DWSI. I'm documenting it here so that I can repeat the issue when I have time to explore it. An errant message shows up in the chat window as shown in the screenshot below.

Additional details that might help me:
The priest attacked Ilikan (Guiding Bolt)
The errant message appears on the damage roll.
It doesn't matter if I have the localhost clients attached ot not
It doesn't matter if the "Cutting Words" Effect is in play or not
It doesn't matter if Ilikan is targeted by the priest or I drag the dice to Ilikan
It doesn't matter if I use the mace or the Guilding Bolt spell
It only happens for a damage roll on Ilikan (not for rolls on Arquin or Elmer)
OK I'm calling shenanigans here!! I shortened Ilikan's name from "Ilikan RockSlinger Thunukalathi" to simply "Ilikan" and the issue disappears! WHAAAT?!?!
AARGH!! When I changed his name back the issue did not reappear. Ug!

I will investigate further at a later time.

wmoten20
March 18th, 2020, 02:32
Hey just wanted to add a +1 to updating this for unity. A lot of people are adopting fantasy grounds unity with this quarantine coming in full effect. all the in person game are moving to online :)

Spetzel
March 19th, 2020, 23:02
Hey just wanted to add a +1 to updating this for unity. A lot of people are adopting fantasy grounds unity with this quarantine coming in full effect. all the in person game are moving to online :)

This is a fabulous extension, but is there any way of Wild Shaping into an Elemental? It is after all only a Level 10 Circle of the Moon feature?

Minty23185Fresh
March 19th, 2020, 23:09
This is a fabulous extension, but is there any way of Wild Shaping into an Elemental? It is after all only a Level 10 Circle of the Moon feature?

Thank you. I’m glad you’re finding it useful.
There are some cheats listed in post #106.
Rename the NPC Type from ... Elemental to Beast.
(I can’t remember... sorry... you might need to change the NPC Name also, if that doesn’t work. To something like My Elemental.)

Spetzel
March 19th, 2020, 23:16
Thank you. I’m glad you’re finding it useful.
There are some cheats listed in post #106.
Rename the NPC Type from ... Elemental to Beast.
(I can’t remember... sorry... you might need to change the NPC Name also, if that doesn’t work. To something like My Elemental.)

Thanks, yes I did that. Also had to change the CR as also mentioned.
I thought that maybe changing the Druid to a Circle of the Moon (in underlying Druid class info) would work, but now realize that you haven't implemented the Circle of the Moon differences. No problem.

My Moon Circle Druid is going to love this.

Minty23185Fresh
March 19th, 2020, 23:49
Thanks, yes I did that. Also had to change the CR as also mentioned.

... but now realize that you haven't implemented the Circle of the Moon differences.
Good. I’m glad that got you going...

But now I’m confused... The Circles, listed in the Players Handbook, are implemented, including the Moon Druid, as per the way the rules are written. I thought you were trying to fudge something...

Spetzel
March 20th, 2020, 04:42
Good. I’m glad that got you going...

But now I’m confused... The Circles, listed in the Players Handbook, are implemented, including the Moon Druid, as per the way the rules are written. I thought you were trying to fudge something...

Oh, my error. I only have the SRD loaded which is probably the problem. I edited the Druid definition on the Character Sheet to be Circle of the Moon, but it didn't change things, so I thought you hadn't implemented it. Let me have another look at what I need to change - right now my "fake" elementals are only visible to me as GM which is a little annoying (that's not your problem however!)

pico
March 23rd, 2020, 22:52
I have a player who died in game (fell over 200ft) in dire wolf form and since has been playing another character. This was a few months ago in real-world time. The party is taking his body back to civilization and intend to resurrect him. I am having a terrible time getting his character sheet back to his human druid form. I've tried dragging the dire wolf over his name again, but it doesn't seem to do anything. How can I force it to revert?

Minty23185Fresh
March 23rd, 2020, 23:32
Well to start, dragging the dire wolf on top of the Druid, wild shapes the Druid; it doesn’t revert the Druid. To revert, right click on the Druid’s name and choose the revert option.

If that doesn’t work. Try putting the Druid in the combat tracker and giving it a long rest. That should force a revert.

Also make sure the Druid is actually wild shaped. Maybe just the name and or icon are stuck. Look at the stats. Are they dire wolf stats or the Druid’s stat? If they are the Druid’s stat just edit the name or re-drag the graphic back on to the PORTRAIT. If these don’t help you’ll have to fix the Druid by hand. I.e. start over.

There may be other options, but I’m sorry, I have a bit of a covid-19 urgency, so I cannot be of more help at this time. I am trying to evacuate from Mexico and get back into my home country, the US. Travel time to do this is expected to be a minimum of four days.

pico
March 23rd, 2020, 23:47
Ha! That did it. I didn't know about the right-click revert option. Thank you!

donpaulo
March 24th, 2020, 03:01
You can also change back to the original form by setting the temp hit points to zero

LeoKeros
March 28th, 2020, 13:59
Hey, any timeline on this getting updated for FGU?

pico
March 28th, 2020, 16:37
You can also change back to the original form by setting the temp hit points to zero

Yep, that's what I had always been doing and it wasn't working, so I panicked.

Whaley
March 29th, 2020, 22:17

I would also like to add a +1 to updating this to unity...I wish I were better at coding so I could help you convert it over...

Houndy
March 31st, 2020, 12:19
I am not sure if this is a voting thing, but would love if you updated this to Unity, and could provide you with a beer ;)

Just saw you are having a covid emergency. I hope you have managed to get back into the US and are safe!

Gozer the Gozerian
March 31st, 2020, 12:38
There may be other options, but I’m sorry, I have a bit of a covid-19 urgency, so I cannot be of more help at this time. I am trying to evacuate from Mexico and get back into my home country, the US. Travel time to do this is expected to be a minimum of four days.

I hope you were able to make it back!

Minty23185Fresh
March 31st, 2020, 17:16
Announcing release of version "v0.0.12 B FGU" for use with Fantasy Grounds Unity (only).

The fix was relatively simple, a comment within an XML file had a comment embedded within it. The new parser/interpreter didn't like that.

[EDIT] Feb 17, 2021 - the .ext file in this posting has been removed. The new version of DWSI v0.0.14 takes it place. (There is now one .ext file for both FGU and FGC.)

Houndy
March 31st, 2020, 20:38
Announcing release of version "v0.0.12 FGU" for use with Fantasy Grounds Unity (only).

The fix was relatively simple, a comment within an XML file had a comment embedded within it. The new parser/interpreter didn't like that.

This version has not been thoroughly tested. I am not using FGU, and won't be in the immediate future. But there as been a high demand for me to get this up and running, so here you go. It runs, it Wild Shapes and it reverts. If you find errors let me know, I'll try to fix them.

Fantasy Grounds Classic (FGC) Users: DO NOT USE THIS VERSION (continue to use v0.0.10, see post #1 of this thread).

Thank you for the update! Must be hard to test if you are not planning using FGU :).

So when the druid is added to the combat tracker and I then drag wolf onto my druid

[<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "DWS/campaign/scripts/DWS_manager_wildshapes..."]:195: createChild: Invalid name -

It then prevents you from shifting back, unless you are removed from the combat tracker.

However, if I drag the wolf onto my druid, whens he is not added to the combat tracker it works as expected.

I think it is something to do with changing the token?

amanwing
April 1st, 2020, 11:29
please delete this post.

Minty23185Fresh
April 1st, 2020, 15:08
...when the druid is added to the combat tracker and I then drag wolf onto my druid...
Confirmed. Thanks Houndy for reporting this. I'm looking into it.

VraiBrujah
April 1st, 2020, 17:17
Hi, sorry but I can't see where we can download the extension?

Houndy
April 1st, 2020, 17:21
Hi, sorry but I can't see where we can download the extension?

For FGU it is in a quote above . Post number 195. click on " DWSI_v0.0.12_FGU.ext" .
For FGC it is in the first post.

VraiBrujah
April 1st, 2020, 17:24
Nevermind

Minty23185Fresh
April 1st, 2020, 23:07
New FGU version released. Fixes Combat Tracker icon/token issue reported by Houndy. It is available in post #195 of this thread. Please make sure you're using the proper version "v0.0.12 B". If there are other problems let me know. I'll try to get them fixed in a timely manner.

Houndy
April 2nd, 2020, 12:30
New FGU version released. Fixes Combat Tracker icon/token issue reported by Houndy. It is available in post #195 of this thread. Please make sure you're using the proper version "v0.0.12 B". If there are other problems let me know. I'll try to get them fixed in a timely manner.

Thank you MintyFresh! I will be testing this out today! :D

dndnzoid
April 2nd, 2020, 13:01
i just updated the extension and it seems to be working. thank you very much for doing this so quickly, minty!

Naroe
April 4th, 2020, 13:04
Just loaded it up for my sons druid, I got this error message for the extension

[4/4/2020 10:31:49 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Error loading extension XML file. [DWSI_v0.0.10] [DWS/campaign/DWS_record_char_main.xml]: An XML comment cannot contain '--', and '-' cannot be the last character. Line 38, position 17.

This type of error seems common in extensions and i cant work out what is wrong with the code, it looks fine to me.

LeoKeros
April 4th, 2020, 13:05
Just loaded it up for my sons druid, I got this error message for the extension

[4/4/2020 10:31:49 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Error loading extension XML file. [DWSI_v0.0.10] [DWS/campaign/DWS_record_char_main.xml]: An XML comment cannot contain '--', and '-' cannot be the last character. Line 38, position 17.

This type of error seems common in extensions and i cant work out what is wrong with the code, it looks fine to me.

Go to post 195. There's a FGU specific version, and that comment is one I've seen from FGU because they've got a slightly different XML interpreter.

Naroe
April 4th, 2020, 13:14
Actually I do understand it now (blind as a bat i should read what the error mesage was saying rather than looking at the code and going whats wrong with that), dont think this was an issue in FGC for commenting, comments were comments and ignored as far as i could tell.

Line 38-41 in DWS_record_char_main.xml even though they are in a comments section, the -- causes a problem in FGU

--[[ because of OOB in DWS_manager_wildshapes.lua, this function cannot ascertain ]]
--[[ whether or not the character is Wild Shaped, just let WildShapeManager figure it out ]]
--[[ also, this function is only executed by host, if the char sheet is open on host ]]
--[[ to prevent revert timing issues, only revert from here if not host, host must force revert if it needs it ]]

I deleted them in the extension and all loaded no errors

Bad when you reply to your own Posts. FacePalm

Minty23185Fresh
April 4th, 2020, 16:25
@Naroe if you’re using this extension with FGU please use the version posted in #195 of this thread. If you go in and hack the FGC versión posted in #1, you’ll still get errors as reported by houndy in #196. (Unless of course, you enjoy troubleshooting code instead of using the extension. :) )

Naroe
April 5th, 2020, 02:50
At the time didn't realize there was an updated version from the one at the start of thread. Now using the updated one, but also learned a bit about the new xml requirements by looking at the original one and eliminating the error.

I enjoy the challenge of troubleshooting, lets you see how others are coding.

Verdigris
April 6th, 2020, 17:42
Love the extension, but found an issue.

FGU, using the FGU version from post 195 (Grabbed it about an hour ago). Was able to wildshape with no issue, and back on damage. However, the Spells and Wild Shape powers sections on the Actions tab of the druid both are both showing the Delete icon, even when the edit button is not enabled on the page. I can't seem to get this delete button to go, meaning that the Spells group can be deleted even when the Actions page is set with edit turned off.

The druid was the only character thus affected. I also have 5E Enhancer v0.8.0 and Advanced Effects v4.2 loaded at this time.

I have tried the following to no success:
Toggling the edit button in the lower right
Closing and reopening the character sheet
Releasing control of the character and retaking the character
Removing character from combat tracker and readding
Remove character from CT, release control, clear owner, retake control and readd to CT
Remove char from CT and token from map (Removing from CT did not remove token from map), clear owner, retake control
Disconnected from Host. Restarted both Host and Client (Local for testing)

Minty23185Fresh
April 7th, 2020, 01:03
... However, the Spells and Wild Shape powers sections on the Actions tab of the druid both are both showing the Delete icon, ...
I haven’t brought up FG to look at this yet, but one thing comes to mind. The Wild Shapes group, upon revert, should be empty. Fantasy Grounds itself, I believe, places the delete icon on the Group bar of empty groups. Just by chance, is your Spells group empty too? That would explain the icon being on both Group bars.

Verdigris
April 7th, 2020, 01:12
I may have just revealed myself for a n00b. Went in to look at other campaigns and characters to find the expected behavior. As you guessed, my spells group was empty. (Testing the extension, so I didn't see the need to select spells.) In looking at the live campaigns I have, all the characters with spells (what I was comparing to) did not have the delete button. So....

Yeah, I feel like an idiot. But I am appreciative for your response. Thank you. Add spells to Actions and the delete button vanished. I'll go back to lurking. :)

Minty23185Fresh
April 7th, 2020, 02:01
@Verdigris No worries. Had it not been for extensive testing and use of my extension while developing and playtesting it, and seeing that little red icon time after time, I’m sure I’d have been tripped up by the same unexpected behavior.

Valdemar
April 8th, 2020, 01:11
Do you know if there are issues with this extension on the latest FGC update? I had it working and it doesn't seem to be working at all now...

Nevermind - NOOB mistake - draging the token to the play instead of the icon

Minty23185Fresh
April 8th, 2020, 01:13
Do you know if there are issues with this extension on the latest FGC update? I had it working and it doesn't seem to be working at all now...

No I don’t know of any but I haven’t updated yet. You’d be the first to say anything. I’ll check...

I checked. There is not.

Naroe
April 9th, 2020, 10:51
You asked to report issues

Im running version 0.12 B and just noticed when actor changes their speed drops to zero, doesnt bring over creatures speed.

Minty23185Fresh
April 9th, 2020, 15:09
You asked to report issues

Im running version 0.12 B and just noticed when actor changes their speed drops to zero, doesnt bring over creatures speed.
Please read the detailed explanations of what the extension does in posts 2, 3 and maybe 4 of the thread. I believe that that is explained there.

Naroe
April 9th, 2020, 15:22
Ok, No problem. My misunderstanding

avitale34
April 14th, 2020, 05:21
I am having an issue in FGU that when my druids temp HP is manually put to zero they do not revert back. If they take damage they do revert back. Thanks for the script it is very cool!!

Naroe
April 14th, 2020, 09:24
I created a Ranger last night with an animal companion, normal way to give them control over the animal is drag the animal to their portrait, it comes up and says they are not druid and cannot wildshape. Is there some way to link your wildshape drag to the character having active effect wild shape running, and retain Character control over NPC's for those not wild shaping.

Houndy
April 14th, 2020, 11:26
I created a Ranger last night with an animal companion, normal way to give them control over the animal is drag the animal to their portrait, it comes up and says they are not druid and cannot wildshape. Is there some way to link your wildshape drag to the character having active effect wild shape running, and retain Character control over NPC's for those not wild shaping.

Did you drag the animal onto their portrait in the top left corner of the tabletop? I did this the other day and worked with wildshape mod enabled.

Naroe
April 14th, 2020, 11:42
ok Well you learn something new every day, yes that did work. Thank you Houndy, I was dragging to wrong portrait.

avitale34
April 14th, 2020, 17:39
Forgive me I am new to FG and just installed this awesome script, it is working perfectly on FGU but it is tossing up this error whenever I first open a PC Sheet.

Houndy
April 14th, 2020, 17:56
Forgive me I am new to FG and just installed this awesome script, it is working perfectly on FGU but it is tossing up this error whenever I first open a PC Sheet.

For FGU the download is Post number 195. click on " DWSI_v0.0.12_FGU.ext" . Is that the verison you installed? (you cannot install the one on the first page that is for FGC).

If you have installed the FGU version, have you tried it with no other extensions? (It might be clashing with other ones).

avitale34
April 14th, 2020, 18:47
I just tried the extention after the newest update and it is not working at all now, is anyone else having this happen to them?

avitale34
April 14th, 2020, 18:47
For FGU the download is Post number 195. click on " DWSI_v0.0.12_FGU.ext" . Is that the verison you installed? (you cannot install the one on the first page that is for FGC).

If you have installed the FGU version, have you tried it with no other extensions? (It might be clashing with other ones).

Yes I am using that version. I will try what you suggested now.

Minty23185Fresh
April 15th, 2020, 03:20
@avitale34 What other extensions do you have loaded? I see some hotkey errors reported in the Console. Resolve those first please.

Minty23185Fresh
April 15th, 2020, 03:27
I am having an issue in FGU that when my druids temp HP is manually put to zero they do not revert back. If they take damage they do revert back.
I don’t believe I ever tested this. Meaning, yeah what you’re saying might be true. I don’t know. Why are you doing this? Why are you manually zeroing the Temp HP? If there is some reason for doing this that I’ve overlooked then I’ll remedy it. But if you’re just trying to revert from Wild shape, use the right click context menu to revert.

avitale34
April 15th, 2020, 03:49
Thank you I didn't realize you could do that!

Edit: Tried testing and seems like the issue was with the Local Dice tower ext

Edit Edit: The newest version of 5e enhancer does not work with Beast Shapes getting this error when trying to make attacks in beast form.

Minty23185Fresh
April 16th, 2020, 04:53
Tried testing and seems like the issue was with the Local Dice tower ext

The newest version of 5e enhancer does not work with Beast Shapes ...

Confirmed. The Local Dice Tower Extension and the Druid Wild Shapes Extension don't play nice with one another in Unity. I'm not sure which one is the problem child. Troubleshooting.

Also, avitale34, what is "5e enhancer"? Another extension? If so, please give it's correct name, I couldn't find an extension under that name.

avitale34
April 16th, 2020, 08:17
Ah okay thank you, and here is the link to the 5e Enhancer extention, it has a lot of great stuff in there.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51353-5E-Enhancer

Minty23185Fresh
April 16th, 2020, 15:29
Ah okay thank you, ... the 5e Enhancer extention, it has a lot of great stuff in there.
I'm sure it does. Styrmir has decided to release the 5e Enhancer through GitHub. I choose not to have anything to do with GitHub. My experiences with that venue have always been negative, very negative. I'm sorry, but for now it appears as though, the two extensions cannot be used at the same time.

LeoKeros
April 16th, 2020, 17:10
I'm sure it does. Styrmir has decided to release the 5e Enhancer through GitHub. I choose not to have anything to do with GitHub. My experiences with that venue have always been negative, very negative. I'm sorry, but for now it appears as though, the two extensions cannot be used at the same time.

That's definitely a shame. I think that's the lovechild of the now-dead Combat Enhancer extensions (It was deleted by the author due to disagreements with FG policy.)

Minty23185Fresh
April 16th, 2020, 18:45
That's definitely a shame. I think that's the lovechild of the now-dead Combat Enhancer extensions (It was deleted by the author due to disagreements with FG policy.)
I agree, it is a shame. It may get ironed out in the near future.

For those of us spending our time trying to create something and give it away for free, to run into incessant demands or roadblocks can be tiresome. I've not experienced those sorts of issues with Smithworks, they've always been more than fair in my mind (after all I am piggybacking off their software).

grimmlock
April 18th, 2020, 16:20

I am assuming you're referring to the DOE extensions and dulux-oz? Styrmir is still updating his 5e Combat Enhancer extension, he's just moved to only working on the Unity version. The FGC version is now considered "complete".

GBE300
April 19th, 2020, 03:22
Hi Minty, Thanks for all your work and effort on this. I find the extension a great boon for both me as the DM and my moon druid player. I have noticed since the most recent update I get a sporadic issue with the reversion. Going from a large shape (namely bear form, brown and black) my player stays as a Large icon verses returning to medium size. Has anyone else reported this or are you aware of it ? It doesn't kick out an error but the player stays large on their original token and the melee range "aura" also stays large size even when manually shrinking the icon back to normal size. Cheers and thanks again!

LordEntrails
April 20th, 2020, 02:52
I am assuming you're referring to the DOE extensions and dulux-oz?
I don't think so. The Enhancer stuff Stymir is doing is to pick up from another community dev named Ken L.

Minty23185Fresh
April 20th, 2020, 02:58
@GBE300 I’ve not seen this reported before. I’ll look into it. (This is for FGC, not FGU, correct?)

GBE300
April 20th, 2020, 12:42
@GBE300 I’ve not seen this reported before. I’ll look into it. (This is for FGC, not FGU, correct?)

Yes, correct. I am seeing it FGC after all the recent updates last week, though I only started using it Wednesday (15th Apr) I believe. Great extension though, the druid loved it!

pablomaz
April 20th, 2020, 14:27
Hey, Minty23185Fresh, I'm just passing by to say THANK YOU for this beautiful thing. I've been using it for many months now, it works like a charm. Thanks!! :- )

Minty23185Fresh
April 22nd, 2020, 14:41
Hey, Minty23185Fresh, I'm just passing by to say THANK YOU for this beautiful thing. I've been using it for many months now, it works like a charm. Thanks!! :)
Thank you very much. I thought I recognized your FG handle, so I went looking. You've been with me since February of last year, almost since inception. Thanks for the support and confidence.

Minty23185Fresh
April 22nd, 2020, 15:56
... I have noticed since the most recent update I get a sporadic issue with the reversion. Going from a large shape (namely bear form, brown and black) my player stays as a Large icon verses returning to medium size... the player stays large on their original token and the melee range "aura" also stays large size even when manually shrinking the icon back to normal size...
…"sporadic" or "intermittent"... Aargh! the bane of all developers and users alike. I can't get it to repeat the issue you're reporting.

What other extensions are you using? (especially those that might affect the map or combat tracker, but a complete list please)
I'm stretching here... What's the level of the druid? How many players in the campaign? More than one Druid?
When the issue occurs... Has it happened more than just once? What are the positions of the other tokens? Very near the Druid? On top of or in the same space as the Druid? Sizes of the other tokens (large NPCs and PCs? small? mixed?) On multiple layers?
None of this makes sense to me as to be contributing factors, I just need more data. If it happened every time it would be easy for me to repeat and fix. But if I can't see it happen (consistently) I can't fix it. I'm sorry but I need those extenuating circumstances.

[EDIT] A few other things. How many rounds of combat? Was the Druid wild shaped over many sessions? Anything that you can think of that would be different between when the extensions misbehaves and when it act appropriately might be relevant.

SailorLovins
April 30th, 2020, 22:52
I have installed this extension into my extensions folder and made sure that I selected the extension on the table select screen. I also see the Implimenter in my Options settings with a single option CT:WS hit points. I was told that players are to load the druid wild shaper module in order to use it but nothing comes up. I don't see any other way to use this as I have seen on other tables.

Spetzel
April 30th, 2020, 23:04
Sailor, have you tried dragging a beast to the heading of the Druid? That makes you Wild Shape if your druid meets the qualifications . To un-wildshape, right click the top of the Druid and you will have a new option to revert to normal.

Minty23185Fresh
April 30th, 2020, 23:58
I have installed this extension into my extensions folder and made sure that I selected the extension on the table select screen. I also see the Implimenter in my Options settings with a single option CT:WS hit points. I was told that players are to load the druid wild shaper module in order to use it but nothing comes up. I don't see any other way to use this as I have seen on other tables.

Please read posts 2-5 of this thread (a.k.a. RTM).

DaBeef2112
May 1st, 2020, 00:43
Wow this is fantastic. Glad I found your post. Thanks!!!

robotdjuret
May 10th, 2020, 23:11
So I was using this today in my game and it was working amazing. However, the character turned into a brown bear and started absorbing damage. I have absolutely _no idea_ where that came from! Do you know what I might have done wrong?

Info: I'm using FGC. The guy is playing a Druid of the Circle of the Moon and turned into a Brown Bear. Everything appeared normally, I could find no information about any kind of damage resistance or anything.

Other extensions:
- Advantage Display
- Automatic Pack Tactics
- Halfling Luck Extension
- Aura Effects
- Minimized Sidebar Icons
- Ongoing Save Effects
- Turn-based Effects

We were all just really at a loss.

Minty23185Fresh
May 10th, 2020, 23:29
... the character turned into a brown bear and started absorbing damage ...
That is because TMP hit points absorb damage. The Druid is not damaged. The beast’s hit points are assigned to TMP hit points at Wild Shape. As the beast is damaged the TMP hit points should decrement appropriately as they are absorbed.

xsheikanx
May 12th, 2020, 10:50
Hi, first, thanks for this awesome extension.
Im ussing it on a blood hunter Lycan, so he can transform into a werewolf.
I had to add 2 levels on druid for the extension working. But that push him to level 5 (everyone is level 3) increasing aswell proficiency bonus.
My question, is there any way to use this extension, without digging levels on druid?

Thanks

EDIT: I find that if i change the class name to Druid, it works perfect ^^

Bonkon
May 12th, 2020, 18:04
Hi, first, thanks for this awesome extension.
Im ussing it on a blood hunter Lycan, so he can transform into a werewolf.
I had to add 2 levels on druid for the extension working. But that push him to level 5 (everyone is level 3) increasing aswell proficiency bonus.
My question, is there any way to use this extension, without digging levels on druid?

Thanks

EDIT: I find that if i change the class name to Druid, it works perfect ^^

Good Day xsheikanx :)
I found if you just open the class window on the char main page and not drag and drop the Druid but just manually add a class (Press the Edit button then the + button) and type Druid in the name then type what level you want it allows this extension to work and in does not add all the other bonuses and HPS you get by dragging and dropping. It will still show the character overall level as higher but no real other changes. :)