PDA

View Full Version : Druid Wild Shapes (for 5E)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Tatershal
September 14th, 2023, 21:36
Hi guys

It is showing errors even with all extensions turned off

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DucoqKT_5cELzODWIzwaJaJ4og5RQcvj/view?usp=sharing

ColoradoGM
September 17th, 2023, 06:43
I get the same errors as Miloh. The FIRST time in a session that I open any Sidebar box - Characters, NPCs, Items, Spells, whatever - it throws the error. But the box still opens, and the error won't repeat for that box until I log out and log back in. So it's a minor annoyance. This is with ONLY druid wild shapes loaded. I'll leave it out for now, for any table that doesn't have druids or polymorph casters at it. For those that do, the extension is worth keeping despite the error messages.

zelannii
September 21st, 2023, 12:12
Same as others, empty campaign, only DWS loaded, errors every time I open a side panel for the first time. Quite annoying but does not seem to cause any direct errors with any other extensions or use after that error. I've started just opening all the panels when I log in to avoid the annoyance during gameplay. Please fix.

Griogre
September 21st, 2023, 16:57
I get it as well - it's a bad index error. I just set the Group to something and so far, so good.

Aikku
September 26th, 2023, 02:01
I get it as well - it's a bad index error. I just set the Group to something and so far, so good.

in the xml itself?

Griogre
September 26th, 2023, 07:05
No, but as someone else mentioned it only happens the first time you open something with a right side button. IE if you click "Encounters" the first time the window pops up look at the top of the window at "Group" and you should see the line is missing and nothing is selected - it should be "(All)".

ColoradoGM
October 23rd, 2023, 03:47
[QUOTE=Minty23185Fresh;417330]
THIS EXTENSION IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

As of late September 2023 I've not played D&D in over a year now.
It's doubtful that I will return in the near future.
Currently I have no interest, nor time, to maintain it.

I'm really sad to hear that, this is a superb extension! Much better, IMO, than the other wild shape extension available on the forge. It would be nice if someone were able to adopt it. It has a workable glitch now but will inevitable acquire more with future FGU updates. I'll continue using it until it breaks down completely.

rhagelstrom
October 23rd, 2023, 04:35
I’ll reach out to minty and other community devs on a path forward.

daddyogreman
October 23rd, 2023, 05:23
I’ll reach out to minty and other community devs on a path forward.
Was gonna suggest the same. Maybe the unofficial developers guild could take it over. I use this extension a ton and would be happy to throw my effort into keeping it going.

Blackwolfe
October 25th, 2023, 17:41

This is very sad. You are already missed. Safe travels to You.

Brotherkelly
October 26th, 2023, 17:33
[QUOTE=Minty23185Fresh;417330]

Really sad to here this, Hope everything works out for you.

I have used this extension as a base for another that I use in a campaign based on Skyrim, where the Morph Class (from A Touch of Class) is available. The Morph uses the Druid wildshape feature, but slightly modified. I got in touch with Minty to get the extension code and created a Morph Wildshape Implementor.

I have look into the code and struggled to identify the recent errors could be rectified. I then looked at the DWS_template_campaign.xml file and compared it with the CoreRPG template_campaign.xml file. Everyhting in the DWS file seems unique but this is where the errors were being generated from.

So, I decided to remove this file completely and see what happened. I have done some testing and no errors occur, but also I cannot see any detrimental effect of removing this file.

I have not included the modified extension here as I don't want to get into any copyright issues with Minty on this. If Minty and the developers agree I will upload my version for people to try out. I am in the process of setting up a crafter account in the Forge so it could be released that way.

I would be interested to hear what everyone else has to say about my approach above.

Henrique Oliveira Machado
October 28th, 2023, 00:34
I really miss this extension. It's simply not working anymore. It's so sad that i was not DMins for a while, then come back to find it's not working anymore. If Anyone knows of a substitute, i'd really apreciate.

daddyogreman
October 28th, 2023, 02:51
I really miss this extension. It's simply not working anymore. It's so sad that i was not DMins for a while, then come back to find it's not working anymore. If Anyone knows of a substitute, i'd really apreciate.

We're trying to get ahold of minty and see if there's a way the dev community can take this over with his/her blessing. So far I haven't gotten a response. I feel ya with this one - it's one of my must have extensions at this point.

ColoradoGM
November 1st, 2023, 18:15
I just found this "Polymorphism" extension from Grim Press, which looks like it will do this job. https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/156/view

daddyogreman
November 2nd, 2023, 06:54
I just found this "Polymorphism" extension from Grim Press, which looks like it will do this job. https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/156/view

Meh. For 15 bucks, sure.

ColoradoGM
November 2nd, 2023, 18:10
Someone who writes and maintains extensions for fun is eventually going to stop writing and maintaining extensions, when it stops being fun. Someone who gets paid (a tiny bit, granted) to do it is likely to keep doing it. $15 is cheap. If it's too much, write your own and give it away.

daddyogreman
November 2nd, 2023, 19:42
If it's too much, write your own and give it away.
10 bucks here, 15 bucks there. Just tired of the nickel and dime game. Still hoping to hear from Minty as to whether the Unofficial Developer's Guild can take this one over.

Blackwolfe
November 2nd, 2023, 22:15
Someone who writes and maintains extensions for fun is eventually going to stop writing and maintaining extensions, when it stops being fun. Someone who gets paid (a tiny bit, granted) to do it is likely to keep doing it. $15 is cheap. If it's too much, write your own and give it away.

True, but the exact same thing WILL happen over time with paid mods, in most cases the creator will stop and the mod will go dead. Which brings about the "I've spent $XXX on mods and now none of them work"
I have mods I paid for right now that haven't been updated for ages and do not work with the current FGU. //shrugs.

Your "pay or write your own" has a strong smell of the "if you don't like it leave the country" mentality.

LordEntrails
November 4th, 2023, 03:08
I look at it in the light that any extension I use is not essential. Not only because I can do whatever I need manually, but also because as noted that eventually the extension is very likely to stop working or being maintained. Any extensions I pay for, I do with the understanding that I pay for it for use now, and maybe for the next few months., but that eventually that money will be spent and the extension will be a part of history.

Such an attitude keeps me from being annoyed or upset.

MrDDT
November 4th, 2023, 13:33
True, but the exact same thing WILL happen over time with paid mods, in most cases the creator will stop and the mod will go dead. Which brings about the "I've spent $XXX on mods and now none of them work"
I have mods I paid for right now that haven't been updated for ages and do not work with the current FGU. //shrugs.

Your "pay or write your own" has a strong smell of the "if you don't like it leave the country" mentality.

I agree with you, I do want to be clear that you are saying "mod" but really you mean extensions because mods should not be broken at all.

Having most of the work done for you already and just upkeeping an extension to work in new releases is not all that hard, so I really hope that Minty can get back to us to see if it can be taken over.

While what LordEntrails is saying is sorta true for me, if I had to play FGU without extensions, I would move to another VTT in a heartbeat.

ColoradoGM
November 4th, 2023, 19:30
What I was trying to express was 'writing and maintaining these things is work, it has value, and it deserves to be paid'. Complaining that an extension costs money seems to me to be disrespectful to the creator. This feeling is influenced by my own situation as a full time professional GM in two ways: 1) for me extensions are a tax-deductible business expense, and 2) I run into the same attitude toward paid GMing - that people are entitled to your work for free, and to charge for your time is somehow unethical.

Blackwolfe
November 4th, 2023, 19:38
:D ;) :p

Blackwolfe
November 4th, 2023, 19:45
:o :) :bandit:

MrDDT
November 4th, 2023, 21:08
What I was trying to express was 'writing and maintaining these things is work, it has value, and it deserves to be paid'. Complaining that an extension costs money seems to me to be disrespectful to the creator. This feeling is influenced by my own situation as a full time professional GM in two ways: 1) for me extensions are a tax-deductible business expense, and 2) I run into the same attitude toward paid GMing - that people are entitled to your work for free, and to charge for your time is somehow unethical.

I fully agree with you on this post here.

I'm saying is I hope that because it's not updated and likely will need to be updated, I really hope that Minty releases it so others can carry the torch. Which I expect will happen, as this is a great community like that.

I'm also one that owns and likely buys more than most people.

Brotherkelly
November 7th, 2023, 18:55
I look at it in the light that any extension I use is not essential. Not only because I can do whatever I need manually, but also because as noted that eventually the extension is very likely to stop working or being maintained. Any extensions I pay for, I do with the understanding that I pay for it for use now, and maybe for the next few months., but that eventually that money will be spent and the extension will be a part of history.

Such an attitude keeps me from being annoyed or upset.

I agree with this.

I have learned to modify code within rulesets, extensions and modules over time so if something I have bought (or got for free) doesn't work, I'm happy to dive in and see what the issue is and try to fix it. If all else fails, then doing things manually is the way to go.

daddyogreman
November 7th, 2023, 19:02
I agree with this.

I have learned to modify code within rulesets, extensions and modules over time so if something I have bought (or got for free) doesn't work, I'm happy to dive in and see what the issue is and try to fix it. If all else fails, then doing things manually is the way to go.

Of course, you can't do that if the extension is vaulted, which a fair number of paid extensions are.

Brotherkelly
November 7th, 2023, 19:17
Fair point.

Brotherkelly
November 7th, 2023, 19:48
I was lucky enough to work with Minty sometime back on a modified Wildshape extension for the Morph Class - from A Touch Of Class (by EN Publishing). As a result I had the most recent code to modify. I agreed with Minty that my extension was for personal use only so this extension will not be available for others to use, unless Minty agrees to pass over the code for others to support.

daddyogreman
November 7th, 2023, 20:30
I was lucky enough to work with Minty sometime back on a modified Wildshape extension for the Morph Class - from A Touch Of Class (by EN Publishing). As a result I had the most recent code to modify. I agreed with Minty that my extension was for personal use only so this extension will not be available for others to use, unless Minty agrees to pass over the code for others to support.

Yeah we're waiting all around for Minty to chime in.

MyGivinOpinion
November 12th, 2023, 04:24
I am presently working on a new shape changing extension for 5e. Should be out within a week.