PDA

View Full Version : Whispered Dice Rolls?

Jingo
July 29th, 2006, 02:19
I know it's possible to do whispered dice rolls (ie the players see a shadow of a dice but don't see the actual roll) and only the GM sees the roll's result. My problem is that I somehow turned it on, but can't seem to turn off this nifty little feature. I ran my entire second session without my players seeing die rolls. I had to manually type in the results of every die roll. That was somewhat annoying
... help?

Kalan
July 29th, 2006, 04:03
I know it's possible to do whispered dice rolls (ie the players see a shadow of a dice but don't see the actual roll) and only the GM sees the roll's result. My problem is that I somehow turned it on, but can't seem to turn off this nifty little feature. I ran my entire second session without my players seeing die rolls. I had to manually type in the results of every die roll. That was somewhat annoying
... help?

Can't recall if you can turn it off or not...but rather than typing, just grab the result as shown in your screen, and drop it onto the chat window again...

Azrael Nightstar
July 29th, 2006, 06:34
I think clicking the mouse wheel on the result also shares it, but I'm not positive on that. As far as I know, there isn't any way to turn off the feature - it's intended to represent the DM rolling behind the screen, and fudging the result if necessary ;)

Jingo
July 29th, 2006, 17:43
There has GOT to be an easy way to turn this on and off. The GM doesn't want to roll EVERY single dice roll behind the screen. I don't even know how did I turn it on...

Anyway, I tried the middle mouse button. I think that just sums all the dice rolled. The summed total is still in purple whispered text...

Not sure what else to try.

Doswelk
July 29th, 2006, 17:57
There has GOT to be an easy way to turn this on and off. The GM doesn't want to roll EVERY single dice roll behind the screen. I don't even know how did I turn it on...

Anyway, I tried the middle mouse button. I think that just sums all the dice rolled. The summed total is still in purple whispered text...

Not sure what else to try.

AFAIK it's always on.

Cantstanzya
July 29th, 2006, 19:39
The GM doesn't want to roll EVERY single dice roll behind the screen.I've never played face to face where the GM would openly roll the dice so everyone could see them. Why should FG be any different. It would be nice to have a switch, but it is not available right now. I would imagine it would be a very low priority.

Jingo
July 29th, 2006, 20:53
AFAIK it's always on.

I could have sworn I did have it turned off at one time. But you may be right. I checked my logs and it does indeed look like GM die rolls were always in the purple color, unless I typed a /die command. I *wish* there was a way to toggle this feature off...

Jingo
July 29th, 2006, 21:00
I've never played face to face where the GM would openly roll the dice so everyone could see them. Why should FG be any different. It would be nice to have a switch, but it is not available right now. I would imagine it would be a very low priority.

Well, I've never played a face to face game where the GM rolls *every die roll* behind a screen.

Most rolls, from my table top GMing experience (going on 18 years of RPGing now), were done in the open, and this was especially true for combat, and it was only when the GM rolled something that made sense to keep hidden that he rolled the dice behind a screen (like Listen or Spot etc).

But maybe that's just how our group played.

So, since die rolls are hidden except for typed /die commands, do I have to then retype the result of a die roll in order for the players to see the result or is there an easy way to show the result?

joshuha
July 29th, 2006, 21:46
The way I show it to the players IF I want them to see it is just drag the result over to the right and it should show it to them.

I agree it could probably be a toggle but along with the others in this thread when ever I DM in real life I always roll behind a screen. That way if necessary I can fudge a few rolls. I have been in situations where I have rolled 4 or 5 crits in a row for the NPCs and have had to tone it down. No fun in losing a whole party in one night.

But as you noted /die commands can be done either in hidden or open if thats an option you want to do.

Griogre
July 30th, 2006, 23:54
Center click on any die result to share it. You can also drag the result and drop it on the message window to show the totals. When I roll for NPC's in the group to share results I usually use /die commands if I want to take the time to share and have them set up.

Personally in face to face games, as a DM I always roll behind the screen. The games I've played in, I think less than 1% of the time the DM always roll out in the open. Sure, occasionally a DM will make a roll out in the open for dramatic effect. I do it myself every 5 or 6 adventures.

A toggle seems like a good idea, but I would really like an option where "party members" roll out in the open. My group has NPC's and while I usually have long term NPC party members party hot keyed with die macros, I don't want to use more than a dozen or function keys on them.

Jingo
July 31st, 2006, 11:36
Thanks everyone for your help. I wasn't aware that clicking the middle mouse button or dragging and dropping the results onto the chat window shared die results. Very helpful info. Thanks.

Kalan
July 31st, 2006, 13:05
Thanks everyone for your help. I wasn't aware that clicking the middle mouse button or dragging and dropping the results onto the chat window shared die results. Very helpful info. Thanks.

Anytime :) That's what we're here for :D