PDA

View Full Version : Which Product to buy???

Altairus
December 8th, 2018, 00:39
Hi all,

I am about to commit to buying Fantasy Grounds to run D&D and Starfinder campaigns.

What is the main difference between Ultimate and Standard, if all the other players also buy Standard?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Alt

Myrdin Potter
December 8th, 2018, 00:44
The only difference between the two is what license people connecting need. If your whole group will buy standard, then any of you can be the GM and everyone else can play.

With the ultimate license, no one else needs a paid license.

Otherwise there are no extra rules or DLC for one or the other.

Altairus
December 8th, 2018, 00:57
Thanks Myrdin,

Much appreciated.

Alt

damned
December 8th, 2018, 01:25
Hey Altairus

Just in case there is any confusion - if all the players have Standard they can GM with their own DLC not with your DLC.

Bidmaron
December 8th, 2018, 01:26
Just be advised that, while any of them can be DM, they can only DM with the materials that that individual DM owns. You can share materials with players that you own, but you cannot share your materials with another DM.

Altairus
December 8th, 2018, 01:28
Thank you Damned and Bidmaron.

That does make sense :)

Bidmaron
December 8th, 2018, 01:30
No problem. Welcome to FG and the forums, by the way! You have made an excellent choice, and you won't be disappointed.

Nylanfs
December 8th, 2018, 12:22
Don't question, just buy everything and throw money at Smiteworks. :)

Targas
December 8th, 2018, 13:15
The difference with Ultimate is as well, when users with demo license connect, the one hosting the game with Ultimate, establishs a ceck with Smiteworks license server (and does so when using named strings to connect, instead of direct IP address entered). Whereas with full license, no such connect is needed, when using direct ip. I had just one time in years an issue, where this server was unavailable and I couldn’t host a game with ultimate. I‘m talking about the one time payment. Monthly subscription might be another issue.
Remembering I started 3 years ago, money was well spent with a one time purchase.

You‘ll would probably want to spend some more money for rulebooks, monster manuals, etc.

Trenloe
December 8th, 2018, 13:38
The difference with Ultimate is as well, when users with demo license connect, the one hosting the game with Ultimate, establishs a ceck with Smiteworks license server...
To clarify - the license check is made by free/demo clients when connecting to a GM with an Ultimate license. The free player's FG client needs an Internet connection to verify that the Ultimate license of the GM they're connecting to is still valid (is still a valid subscription, is not a known pirated/problem key, etc.). This is really only relevant if the demo player is on the same network as the GM, but without Internet connection (for example - playing in someone's basement on a local network hub/switch).

Standard licenses connecting to an Ultimate GM don't do this check.

Bidmaron
December 8th, 2018, 19:10
So, if you didn't have an internet connection, an Ultimate or Standard GM could connect to any number of Standard license players on the same local network. Did I get that right?

Myrdin Potter
December 8th, 2018, 19:18
I think if the check fails, then the connection is refused if free/demo to Ultimate. I am guessing that if a valid standard license key (at some point this has been checked) connects then there appears to be no need of an active internet connection at that time.

Trenloe
December 8th, 2018, 20:02
So, if you didn't have an internet connection, an Ultimate or Standard GM could connect to any number of Standard license players on the same local network. Did I get that right?
Correct.

Trenloe
December 8th, 2018, 20:04
I think if the check fails, then the connection is refused if free/demo to Ultimate.
If the check from the connecting free/demo client fails, it will not be allowed to connect to the Ultimate GM.

I am guessing that if a valid standard license key (at some point this has been checked) connects then there appears to be no need of an active internet connection at that time.
Correct.