PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding - Only Works on One Computer in Household

SpaceHobbit
December 7th, 2018, 04:06
I recently got some help from some great folks here and was able to get my Surface, and home router, set up for Fantasy Grounds. My wife will be playing on her PC but her connection test results in a failure. I attempted to hard-line her in to the same router I'm connected to but it's still coming up as a failure and she's unable to join my game via the external ID or alias.

I added Fantasy Grounds as an app allowed through her firewall as well but it doesn't seem to help the issue.

Any thoughts on where we might be going wrong?

damned
December 7th, 2018, 04:29
Port Forwarding is exactly that.
It directs all that traffic to one specific place.
You cantdirect that traffic to 2 different places.

Please take note of where you have to go to run the Connection Test.
You must go to Create New Campaign or Load Campaign.
These are both GM activities.

Are you the GM or is your Wife the GM?
You Port Forward to the GM computer.

Trenloe
December 7th, 2018, 09:24
Only the GM needs port forwarding and a successful connection test. Players don’t need that at all.

Additionally, for a player connecting to the GM on the same network use the GMs Internal IP address, not the external address nor the alias.

Nylanfs
December 7th, 2018, 12:11
You can't direct that traffic to 2 different places.

Fixed it for you Damned. :)

SpaceHobbit
December 9th, 2018, 01:58
I'm the GM and I've set up the router to Point Forward to my computer but I still cannot get her into my game. I've set up the session, given her the alias, and she's still unable to connect. I've allowed Fantasy Grounds through her firewall but I'm stumped on how to move forward.

damned
December 9th, 2018, 02:02
If she is on the same network as you she needs to connect to your LAN (Internal) IP address.
Your router wont let a connection go out and come back in to another computer on the network.

SpaceHobbit
December 9th, 2018, 02:10
I think I understand what you're saying. We're both hard-lined into the router, so we're on the same connection. When I try to join game on her computer, it comes back as "Cannot Connect to Host: Check Your Internet Settings".

damned
December 9th, 2018, 02:22
On your computer - after you choose Load Campaign and before you hit start it will tell you what your Internal IP Address is.
Your wife should connect to that IP address instead of the Alias.

SpaceHobbit
December 9th, 2018, 02:55
That was it. That's the trick. I appreciate the help. Learned a bit more about Networking in the process. Many thanks!

Bidmaron
December 9th, 2018, 05:10
The whole thing is bullshit. There is no excuse in today's time that a router should not be able to figure out that a connection is to the local network and accommodate rather than denying the connection. This is typical head-up-the-arse programmer behavior. Not FG's fault -- just programmer / designer insanity. Not that I'm emotional about it or anything like that....

damned
December 9th, 2018, 06:13
The whole thing is bullshit. There is no excuse in today's time that a router should not be able to figure out that a connection is to the local network and accommodate rather than denying the connection. This is typical head-up-the-arse programmer behavior. Not FG's fault -- just programmer / designer insanity. Not that I'm emotional about it or anything like that....

Actually it is designed explicitly to prevent hackers trying to craft packets that appear to come from the LAN and so be accepted.
It is designed to protect you and everyone else that is behind a router/firewall.

Valarian
December 9th, 2018, 08:01

Actually it is designed explicitly to prevent hackers trying to craft packets that appear to come from the LAN and so be accepted.
It is designed to protect you and everyone else that is behind a router/firewall.
My router does allow it. Is this a bad thing?

damned
December 9th, 2018, 10:55
My router does allow it. Is this a bad thing?

I dont know.
It does lead to a higher chance of someone crafting an attack against you - but its an extremely low probability.

Bidmaron
December 9th, 2018, 15:01
Live and learn. Thanks, damned. But they have settings for everything else under the sun, what would it cost to add yet another to let folks do that?

Andraax
December 9th, 2018, 15:56
Live and learn. Thanks, damned. But they have settings for everything else under the sun, what would it cost to add yet another to let folks do that?

Actually, many routers do have an option for this, it's just that it usually defaults to off for security...