PDA

View Full Version : SFS #1-12: Ashes of Discovery Sun December 9 @ 1.30 PM GMT

stephan_
December 5th, 2018, 23:48
As there is a slight chance that we might have to take a break for 20-30 minutes, please schedule around 5 hours instead of the usual 4 hours for the game.

Tier 1-4. Subtier will depend on the players.

About the scenario:

A Starfinder Society Scenario designed for levels 1-4.

When a major Pact Worlds organization approaches the Starfinder Society about investigating an abandoned outpost in Near Space, the PCs get assigned to the case. Travelling to a distant world, surmounting dangerous threats in the void of space, and meeting new alien cultures—this mission is about everything the Starfinder Society embodies.

Ashes of Discovery is a replayable scenario designed to help introduce players to what it's like to be a member of the Starfinder Society. With randomized mechanical and story elements, when you play this scenario, you'll never play the same scenario twice.

Written by Crystal Malarsky and John Laffan

Scenario Tags: Repeatable, Starship

Technical details:

We will use Fantasy Grounds (I have an Ultimate license) and Teamspeak.

Steps before the game:

Make sure to both apply here as well as in the game calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=3275), stating which character you'd like to play.

If you apply, make sure you send me your previous chronicle sheet of the character you want to apply this chronicle to (if you already have any chronicle sheet), either here or on Discord (Fantasy Grounds channel).

If you haven't already, also make sure to either build the character on FG yourself (and send it to me) or log in early enough so you can do so on game day.

Make sure you have updated Fantasy Grounds.

FG alias and Teamspeak server can be found under GM annonoucements in the game calendar.

Other notes:

Also make sure to track your purchases on the Inventory Tracking Sheet.

Be sure to apply on time (if you can make it) as the last games were rather full.

In your own interest, make sure the party is somewhat balanced level-wise.

In the interest of an efficient use of time, you might want to discuss starship roles in advance.

Newcomers to SF, SFS and/or FG are welcome.

tahl_liadon
December 6th, 2018, 01:44
signed up: pregen4, class to supplement and/or round out party.

(gm has last chronicle: sfs-0108)

chrisnhurd
December 6th, 2018, 03:16
Cool! I am signed up with Wex but am happy running a level 1 if you want to make it a tier 1-2.

madman
December 6th, 2018, 04:30
Signed up..

Can play a new playtest class 4/pregen per blog! or my 3rd Mechanic.

Madman..

stephan_
December 6th, 2018, 07:52
Alright, it looks like subtier 3-4 so far.

Four people already signed up (3 on FG, 1 outside).

Signed up..

Can play a new playtest class 4/pregen per blog! or my 3rd Mechanic.

Madman..

Sure, just two caveats: You might have to build the playtest pregen yourself and I would appreciate it if you could tell me the specific class one day before the game so I can read up on it.

SirTristan
December 6th, 2018, 10:42
halfling bounty hunter lv3 i don't have chronicle sheet. how do i get on you TS?

stephan_
December 6th, 2018, 12:19
You can find the technical details in the game calendar (under technical details in the GM announcements).

Be aware that SFS requires you to have the appropriate chronicle sheets if you want to play a character with a level higher than 1 (see SFS guide (https://paizo.com/products/btpy9vlp?Starfinder-Society-Roleplaying-Guild-Guide)).

stephan_
December 6th, 2018, 12:31
Update: 6-7 players have signed up so far (4 on FG, 3 outside).

As sometimes players can't make it last-minute, unless anyone has any objections, I would at the moment accept all seven. If all show up it will not be ideal but still a legal table.

TheNIRL
December 6th, 2018, 16:21
Cassie will stay as backup in case anyone drops out

tahl_liadon
December 6th, 2018, 17:19
what is the success condition for having done a scenario, i.e. what percentage of it does a player need to complete?

with 1-2 additional on waitlist, it seems a table of 7 would be most likely. i’m guessing from experience that a max-plus-one table like this may very well run over the 4-hour recommended mark to complete a scenario (i know gm included caveat in game posting that it would likely be the case of taking 5 hours.)

i need to leave around after 4.5 hours — would i be considered having completed the scenario? i know this is how it is for pfs if player was present for the 4-hour duration.

tahl_liadon
December 6th, 2018, 17:26
gm, would you post the classes of players (if they already know what they’re bringing) who signed up off-calendar... i’d like to decide and go over abilities of whatever class i’m going to bring in to round out party.

stephan_
December 6th, 2018, 19:16
For the 1 XP: 3 encounters. Credits and fame depend on the specific circumstances.

Depending on how much time we leave for RP, I would say 4 hours is doable even with 7 players. If we have to take a 20-30 minute break due to external circumstances (I would say a 25 % risk) a little bit longer but I might be able to adjust somewhat (there is one optional encounter).

As long as all players (especially the pilot) are familiar with starship combat, it shouldn't take excessively long. Be aware that the DCs were updated (https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1hi#v5748eaic9w55).

It is also a repeatable, so more on the cookie-cutter end of the scale regarding difficulty and complexity (#1-01 seems to be the odd one out in this regard).

If you want to finish on time however I do suggest discussing starship roles in advance as that can easily take up 15 minutes.

Listing only the characters not on the game calendar page: Soldier, operative and technomancer, It could also be a good opportunity to test out the playtest claases (https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sgei?Starfinder-Society-Class-Playtest).

Edit:

This is also an option for higher-level characters as: "A player using a non-1st-level playtest character may choose to apply the earned Chronicle sheet to an existing Organized Play character."

For the purpose of randomizing the results: Has anyone played this before? If not, does anyone want to roll the 9 die rolls to determine the specifics (without knowing the results of course)? I can always use a scapegoat should you somehow break the laws of physics and manage to roll a CR20 encounter.

tahl_liadon
December 6th, 2018, 19:39
i have never played this scenario. i can volunteer to roll a d9 — do you want it at game time, or sooner/before game so you could prepare?

if sooner, just let me know when you’re on server (i can go on relatively quickly, within 10 minutes notice), or i can do one roll on rolz.org and share out result link.

tahl_liadon
December 6th, 2018, 19:42
so with the current 6 classes, it seems again there is a lack of healing and social abilities (lol)

stephan_
December 6th, 2018, 19:49
Well, healing can usually be mitigated by serums.

The server is up.

Small correction though:

It's 9 different tables.
1: 1d4

2: 1d6

3: 1d8

4: 1d4

5:1d4

6:1d6

7: 1d8

8: 1d8

9: 1d4

stephan_
December 6th, 2018, 20:01
Congratulations on a standard gravity, standard atmosphere tundra world. There's definitely no weird creatures there.

tahl_liadon
December 6th, 2018, 20:56
.oops sorry i got pulled away. still need those rolls -- was that what the rolls were for: random environmental variables?

stephan_
December 6th, 2018, 21:38
Unfortunately, in the meantime Chris already did them. On the plus side, you can blame him for everything that happens.

@Sir Tristan: Do you have a SFS-legal 3rd level character with chronicle sheets?

tahl_liadon
December 6th, 2018, 21:46
haha!

ok i think i will bring pregen4 envoy again (which too bad i can’t swap out some of her abilities that i would pick for my own pc).

i think i will build my first level 1 pc as an envoy, seeing the the lack of one in current players pool (lol). also, since i’ll prob be playing more with this “core” pool, is there a starship role that i should consider to focus on, i.e. pilot perhaps, or captain maybe?

stephan_
December 6th, 2018, 22:07
The position that so far usually has not been filled (players usually opted for a second gunner instead) was the Captain role.

DEX-based characters usually have piloting, combat-oriented make decent gunners and skill monkeys fill the engineer and science officer roles. Most SFS characters lack the Dimplomacy for Captain though. Note that this doesn't mean these classes have to play these roles but generally, they're the ones best suited for it.

chrisnhurd
December 7th, 2018, 02:47
For starship combat I would suggest we take a look at the ships and decide if we want to use the Pegasus or Drake beforehand to avoid a long debate during game time. (I assume we get to use the Tier 4 ship for a tier 3-4 scenario, rather than having to round down to the Tier 2 ship for an APL of 3). I prefer the Drake overall and it has a good weapon setup if we are running with 3 gunners, but the Pegasus has better maneuverability and sensors.

I'd nominate Wex as pilot despite my unfortunate history of rolling 1's for piloting checks. He has a decent skill bonus (+9) and I have piloted a couple of space combat encounters before so should be able keep things from bogging down in the helm phase.

I would tentatively suggest the following crew assignments:
Captain: Pregen Envoy(?)
Pilot: Wex
Engineer: Hellin5 or Cassie
Science officer: Technomancer
Gunners: Cairo; Soldier; Operative

chrisnhurd
December 7th, 2018, 02:52
Unfortunately, in the meantime Chris already did them. On the plus side, you can blame him for everything that happens.

I would angrily demand rerolls....but I would probably just end up with something worse, like a world covered in acid or a world where doughnuts are made from kale.

SirTristan
December 7th, 2018, 03:41
Ok i have a LV 1 operative and i have a code/number from https://paizo.com/pathfinder/rpg for starfinder Society.
on the ship am a Gunner.OK am good to go on TS and Discord.and i have a ORGplayIDcard .

stephan_
December 7th, 2018, 11:49
Alright, be aware that you will be playing out of tier, so I would suggest staying out of melee combat and not going first.

For starship combat I would suggest we take a look at the ships and decide if we want to use the Pegasus or Drake beforehand to avoid a long debate during game time. (I assume we get to use the Tier 4 ship for a tier 3-4 scenario, rather than having to round down to the Tier 2 ship for an APL of 3).

Correct.

I would angrily demand rerolls....but I would probably just end up with something worse, like a world covered in acid or a world where doughnuts are made from kale.

One of those would have been a real possibility.

stephan_
December 7th, 2018, 20:28
If you need the server up to build your character be sure to tell me.

Also a reminder to use the stable (updated) 3.3.6 version.

@tahl_liadon: If you want to bring your own level 1 you could try to risk it. If you play cautiously (and the dice are not completely against you), you should be able to survive this particular scenario with this particular setup. Note that this is not a general recommendation to play out of tier.

I would advise any level 1 character to bring at least 2 means of healing however. The out-of-tier rewards should be able to cover the additional expenses.

tahl_liadon
December 7th, 2018, 20:57
haha thx for caveat warning, gm.

i'm not going to bring new pc, but bring pregen4 instead. my pc can be 2nd level now with 3 xp already, but not ready for prime time yet (lol).

SirTristan
December 8th, 2018, 01:09
I have a core rule book Question,
Specilailzation(Ghost)

ASSOCIATED SKILLS;Acrobatics and Stealth.
when you use Stealth to make a trick attack,
you gain a +1 Bonus to the skill check.

So you get a +1 to trick attack if you use Acrobatics or Stealth,but in the rule book it say to make a trick attack you use Bluff,Intimated or stealth check. I does not mention Acrobatics. So just Specialization (Ghost) can yours trick attack with Acrobatics? or is it just a +1 to Stealth and Acrobatics?

tahl_liadon
December 8th, 2018, 02:05
i think this is a case of specificity overrides general rule: so i would think, yes, you can use acrobatics in place of stealth?

SirTristan
December 8th, 2018, 02:24
How do i find out-of-tier rewards?
[I would advise any level 1 character to bring at least 2 means of healing however. The out-of-tier rewards should be able to cover the additional expenses.]

tahl_liadon
December 8th, 2018, 02:34
How do i find out-of-tier rewards?

on chronicle sheet, i believe, it should be listed in awards for sub-tiers, top right corner.

SirTristan
December 8th, 2018, 03:45
what web page or book page number?

SirTristan
December 8th, 2018, 06:19
Do i star with 1,000 or 3,000 ?

stephan_
December 8th, 2018, 09:27
Specilailzation(Ghost)

So you get a +1 to trick attack if you use Acrobatics or Stealth,but in the rule book it say to make a trick attack you use Bluff,Intimated or stealth check. I does not mention Acrobatics. So just Specialization (Ghost) can yours trick attack with Acrobatics? or is it just a +1 to Stealth and Acrobatics?

CRB p 93: Just before making your attack, attempt a Bluff, Intimidate, or Stealth check (or a check associated with our specialization; see page 94)"

on chronicle sheet, i believe, it should be listed in awards for sub-tiers, top right corner.

Correct. Usually it's around 150 % of the subtier 1-2 reward.

what web page or book page number?

It's on the individual chronicle sheets, so you as a player wouldn't usually see it before you get your chronicle sheet.

Do i star with 1,000 or 3,000 ?

stephan_
December 9th, 2018, 12:36
The server is up.

As things stand now we do not need to take a 20-30 min break, so we *should* be able to finish on time (technical issues are of course always possible).

Malkavian_Andi
December 9th, 2018, 12:53
Specilailzation(Ghost)

So you get a +1 to trick attack if you use Acrobatics or Stealth,but in the rule book it say to make a trick attack you use Bluff,Intimated or stealth check. I does not mention Acrobatics. So just Specialization (Ghost) can yours trick attack with Acrobatics? or is it just a +1 to Stealth and Acrobatics?CRB p 93: Just before making your attack, attempt a Bluff, Intimidate, or Stealth check (or a check associated with our specialization; see page 94)"
That's actually bad wording on the author's side. You can generally only use Bluff, Intimidate, or Stealth to make trick attacks. Other skills can only be used if it says so explicitly in the specialization's text (Daredevil, Detective, Explorer, Hacker, and Thief do have that language). Note that it says "a check associated with your specialization", not "your specialization's Associated Skills".
A Ghost can only use Bluff, Intimidate, or Stealth for trick attacks, and if they use Stealth, they get a +1 bonus. Nowhere does it say they can use Acrobatics.

tahl_liadon
December 9th, 2018, 13:10
That's actually bad wording on the author's side.

yea, there's some of this in the rulebooks as they (i think in an attempt to future-proof for new rules) worded some things ambiguously to the point of confusion.

for, example, i was confused with the mystic healing touch ability:

Once per day, you can spend 10 minutes to magically heal an ally up to 5 Hit Points per mystic level.

the "up to" wording made it sound like there was another variable to consider besides the mystic level. i wasn't sure how to read the rule, but got clarification by paizo community board members here (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ui7d?Rules-Question-Mystic-Healing-Touch#3).

stephan_
December 9th, 2018, 13:14
That's actually bad wording on the author's side.

Thanks for the information. That is indeed misleading.

the "up to" wording made it sound like there was another variable to consider besides the mystic level. i wasn't sure how to read the rule, but got clarification by paizo community board members here (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ui7d?Rules-Question-Mystic-Healing-Touch#3).

Yeah, I can see it being used to prevent people from arguing overhealing but that's probably already prevented by the general heal rules.

madman
December 9th, 2018, 17:22
Thanks for the game!

stephan_
December 9th, 2018, 18:27
Chronicle drafts sent. it was a little bit "cookie-cutter" but I hope everyone still had fun.

stephan_
December 9th, 2018, 22:59
The next game is either going to be on SAT 6.30 PM GMT or on SUN 1.30 PM GMT. After that probably a holiday break for two weeks.

I was planning to do #1-16: Dreaming of the Future but it might be too similar to this one, so I haven't decided on a scenario yet.

stephan_
December 13th, 2018, 12:48
See here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46956),