PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again.. Port not open despite Port Forwarding

Mehrtelb
December 5th, 2018, 15:30
Hello,

I have already tried the methods described in your faq so I was hoping to find an answer here.
My ports are forwarded on my firewall, my antivirus and my router. (The programs themselves as well as the ports)
But nobody can connect to my server (Connection test always says Failure).
Even canyouseeme.org gets a connection error.

I'm sitting on this since yesterday and I wonder if I should just switch to something like Hamachi (which has its own problems already)?

Please and thank you
Mehrtelb

Trenloe
December 5th, 2018, 15:35
Welcome to the forums. Sorry you're having issues.

The biggest contributor to this is:
1) Your GM local IP address has changed and your port forwarding for TCP port 1802 on your Internet router is still set for the old IP address.
2) Your network connection on the GM computer is "Public" not private.
3) Your security/anti-virus application is blocking FantasyGrounds.exe from accessing the network. Sometimes these rules need to be removed/updated as some apps see a new executable as a new application, so after a FG app update the security app may start blocking FG - even though it looks like it's set not to.
4) Your security/anti-virus application is blocking inbound TCP port 1802 communications.
5) Your ISP has changed their architecture - we can check this if you perform tracert 8.8.8.8 from a command prompt and post the result here.

Mehrtelb
December 5th, 2018, 16:07
Gonna test them all again but here are the results of the command prompt:

Routenverfolgung zu google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
über maximal 30 Hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms fritz.box [192.168.178.1]
2 11 ms 11 ms 8 ms 83-169-183-43-isp.superkabel.de [83.169.183.43]
3 11 ms 9 ms 10 ms ip5886eb81.static.kabel-deutschland.de [88.134.235.129]
4 11 ms 18 ms 12 ms 145.254.3.64
5 13 ms 11 ms 13 ms 145.254.2.215
6 10 ms 12 ms 11 ms 72.14.195.104
7 * * * Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
8 14 ms 19 ms 13 ms 216.239.54.180
9 11 ms 18 ms 12 ms 216.239.43.191
10 14 ms 12 ms 12 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Mehrtelb
December 5th, 2018, 16:29
1) My IP address is static, but i checked multiple times and sure enough, it is the same Ip address.
2) It is set to private
3) I deleted and renewed all TCP and UDP exceptions for fantasygrounds and Fantasy Grounds, and disabled my firewall and antivirus for a minute just to see - still doesn't work.
4) because it still didn't work even when i disabled them, no they don't.

Zacchaeus
December 5th, 2018, 16:40
I can't see anything in your tracert that would be causing the issue so that narrows it down to your computer. Switching off AV or Firewalls don't always work like you think they might so that doesn't tells us much. You could try rebooting your router and again double check that proper rules have been set in your anti virus. (You mention anti virus and firewall but these should be the same thing - you don't have multiple Firewalls running do you; such as Windows Defender and anti virus)

Mehrtelb
December 5th, 2018, 17:24
Have restarted the router and my PC (also double checked all my settings and exceptions), still doesn't work.

midas
December 5th, 2018, 17:50
If you launch another copy of Fantasy Grounds (or a copy on another computer), can you load a campaign on your main computer and connect to it via your internal IP? This will help determine if it's the router not forwarding ports or something on your computer not accepting the connection.

Moon Wizard
December 5th, 2018, 18:34
If you launch a second copy on same machine, use "localhost" as the server address.
If you launch from another machine on same network, use the internal IP address returned by the FG launch screen.

Each of these will tell us a little more about what might be blocking people from connecting.

Regards,
JPG

damned
December 5th, 2018, 18:36
Many German users cannot do Port Forwarding as they go thru two layers of NAT.
I have seen one instance on a German network where they had access to only 25% of the NAT ports...
Your tracert suggests the first is unlikely and wont give any clues about the second.

Can you post a screen shot of your Port Forward page - preferably in English - and of your Status page and WAN Status Pages?

Mehrtelb
December 5th, 2018, 18:48
Have tried the two instances with localhost - does work.
I'm gonna get the screenshots as fast as I can.
(don't know how to get them in english, but i can try to translate as much as possible.)

edit - Forgot to ask as a newcomer to port forwarding, what do you mean by status page and wan status page?
Im gonna google them now just in case I'm stupid.

Mehrtelb
December 5th, 2018, 19:08
Here is a screenshot from the forwarded ports in my router
https://gyazo.com/16c6ceb829e8c5a7288e3ce237f85422

And a screenshot of my status page
https://gyazo.com/0e9e75848120ebc01cd9fa3da2a64722

Here some translations to try and help:
verbunden - connected
verwendet einen - uses a (something)
Gültigkeit - validity
aktuell genutzt für Standardanfragen - This will be used as the standard
Portfreigabe - Port forwarding
aktiviert - activated
Portfreigaben eingerichtet - Ports being forwarded

Willot
December 5th, 2018, 20:45
The IP address looks like the one assigned to you by your ISP? Usually the local IP for your computer is something like 192.168.0.2 or 10.0.0.2. If you "open network & internet settings" on your connection and "View Network Properties" Does the IP match the IP in the Port Forward? You could just have a odd DHCP setup I guess

Zacchaeus
December 5th, 2018, 21:43
Also remove all of the 3074 rules and the IPv6 rules too. All you need is the top one in your screenshot.

Mehrtelb
December 5th, 2018, 21:59
The IP in the screenshot is the same as I see in ipconfig and that FantasyGround uses.
Did remove the unneccessary rules.
Still connection failure... Maybe just the way my family setup the DHCP...
Gonna check here again when I wake up.
But if it turns out that there's nothing to be done about it... I'm sorry if I wasted your time.
Maybe I can find something more by googling.
We'll see.

Willot
December 5th, 2018, 22:35
I suspect there's a setting in your router that says "Allow ISP to Allocate IP Addresses" or something like that. If that is true then the port is being disallowed by your ISP? If this is the case try changing it to "Use Local DHCP" (or something similar).

If the port is being blocked by your ISP you will need to use a VPN or talk to your ISP.

I remember an ISP I was with had it's router on side of my house (this was a microwave wireless setup) and it handled all the NAT and DHCP etc; and my router was essentially a access point and Nope I couldn't port forward nothing. I talked them into opening up their router and allowing my router to handle everything instead (of course this was with dire warns of If I get hacked dont come crying to them (I was never hacked... :) )). Then all was good

Mehrtelb
December 5th, 2018, 23:05
K, I have googled for the last hour and tried to apply Willot's advice, here's what I found:
Router uses it's own DHCP already
It seems likely that Fantasy Grounds is being blocked by FritzBox.
My Router uses a DS-Lite-Tunnel, which makes it impossible to reach my network from outside through IPv4.
There is a way to go around this If the application supports PCP or UPnP. (This is what I understand from FritzBox website, please correct me if I'm wrong)
I'm gonna read more on this and post a solution if I find one.

esmdev
December 6th, 2018, 00:25
I don't know if this will help but often when my group first starts a new game everyone connects and then gets disconnected (while downloading stuff) and then both sides need to reset routers. Once both sides reset the problem goes away. It's just something we do these days, but only seems to happen when we start a new game. After that everyone connects just fine for weeks or longer until we start another new game.

Andraax
December 6th, 2018, 00:48
You DDoS protection turned on on your router. When you get the initial connections, everyone is checking / downloading a bunch of stuff and it's triggering your router into thinking you are under an attack.

damned
December 6th, 2018, 02:23
ok from the screenshots this is a DS-Lite connection and it pretty much is going to have issues with IPv4 Port Forwarding.
if you want me to have a look at it with you remotely send me your email via PM.
otherwise you should use Hamachi/ZeroTier/Tunngle etc...

Mehrtelb
December 6th, 2018, 10:24
I'm gonna opt for using one of these programs, at least until I get my own apartment and therefore new router.
Still, thanks to everybody trying to help!