PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Materia System Feedback?

Squee913
December 4th, 2018, 20:52
Hello there! about a week ago, I made a post talking about wanting more options for my players to spend money on. 5E is a bit lacking when it comes to shopping. Yes, you can save up and purchase land, ships, and castles. Also, yes you could start a business, but a lot of players don't really care for this. After all... many people play D&D to be an adventurer, not own a candle shop. Not that wanting these things is wrong and I think they should certainly be made options. However, I wanted something to get my players excited about finding a pile of gold. Something they can go buy NOW that will make them better at what they do. Enter the new Materia system. Master worked weapons and armor that can have Materia installed in them to give them different effects. Some are one use, others are perpetual, but all can be changed out to suit the needs of the adventurer. I have made a rough draft and would love some feedback! I am mainly looking for more ideas of things to add, issues with current options, if anything seems too expensive or cheap, and if anything is game breaking. Obviously, this will make a party more powerful, but a good GM can compensate for that. I just need to get some differing opinions to ensure nothing in there is game breaking! Also, my selection of Weapon Materia is a bit lacking… could use some cool ideas!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BI4fg6nipOA2REZtAXgoiZNABC16x2QVciXrTI32wyA/edit?usp=sharing

Three of Swords
December 5th, 2018, 00:08
I've always loved the FF VII Materia system. So I will def check this out. But I have a lot going on for a few days. So a response will be very delayed. Good luck w/ it in the meantime!

Mgrancey
December 14th, 2018, 02:41
Looked at it briefly, seems more like the various Enhancement systems from different Action/Adventure games, like Diablo, Torchlight, and some others that I can't recall at the moment rather than Materia. I will admit I didn't get into Final Fantasy until 7 and lost interest after 10-2 and so far have been stuck on Levithan in FF15, as I avoid MMOs since they will eat my soul if given a chance. I miss my lazy, enjoyable, turn-based RPGs. sigh

I do agree that with magic items generally being rarer and less able to buy in general, that after accumulating a fair bit of money most of it is wasted until you need something high cost like restorations, "raise dead", or expensive components.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, its just the Final Fantasy fanboy, FF7 in particular, hates to see the awesomeness of Materia weakened.