PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of QOL Feature Requests

osarusan
December 1st, 2018, 04:00
I couldn't find the feature request thread to add these to, so sorry if this is not the right place. (Feel free to delete this post and add the feature requests to the appropriate post!)

During tonight's game a couple of things occurred to me that would make the program a little easier to use.

1- It would be nice if unidentified magic items were italicized or something from the DM's point of view. The players see something like "Special Chainmail" which is great, but the DM just sees Chainmail +1. If it were italicized, it would be easier for the DM to know that the item has not yet been identified. That way when the players cast detect magic, it's easy to quickly say which items are glowing, and when the players cast identify it would be easy to quickly see which items the DM needs to then identify.

2- I kind of which that hitting Enter in the inventory screen did not make a new inventory item. I find myself hitting enter a lot just out of habit when making changes to an item, and it results in new empty lines being added to the bottom of the inventory list. I can tell my players do this too, because everyone's inventory is full of blank lines. It's be nice if the only way to add an item was to use the right-click menu and select Add Item, or to drag an item into the inventory from the items list.

Just minor stuff, but I think it would help.

LordEntrails
December 1st, 2018, 04:49
No problem putting ideas in the forums, but the place the devs monitor and use is here; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com

For #1, the DM sees the red/green identifed icon, but only when open. There is/was an extension around somewhere that adds the red/green identified icon to the list for the DM. Check the sticky thread for extensions. It might be ruleset dependent.

For #2, this is a user thing. I know when I started using FG I hated the enter for a new item too. But now that I'm used to it, I would be really upset if it were removed, because for some game systems typing in the gear is the standard (not dragging from a list) and having to right mouse to add each new item would be really slow. Just try and get used to it, you may find after a while you are really glad its there (or add it to the wishlist!)

iotech
December 1st, 2018, 05:53
Suggest: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40686-Extension-Party-Inventory-Identified&highlight=extension+identified

Please note the caution the OP put in this post; the extension will "work" with any ruleset, but may not actually be compatible.

osarusan
December 1st, 2018, 09:15
Thanks for linking the wishlist! I knew I'd seen that before, I just misremembered it as being part of the forums instead of a separate site.

Yes it's easy to tell when the item is open whether it's identified or not. I guess I didn't clarify that I was really thinking of things like items in the party inventory section, and the player inventories. Sometimes a player will tell me "hey DM, I have one potion that's not identified can you help me?" and I have to scroll through their inventory and look at each potion to find out the one that isn't identified. It would be nice if there was a quick way to see that.

I will give that extension a try! Thanks for sharing. It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, as long as the extension never breaks!

I can see how pressing enter to create a new item could be preferable in some cases. It definitely works better in the CoC ruleset than the D&D ruleset. It would be cool if it were a toggle-able function in the game options.