PDA

View Full Version : What resources to load?

msbranin
November 30th, 2018, 18:39
So as a gm I have to have Alien Archive 2 and alien archive 2 players resources loaded? Do I need to do that will all content? Without the players resources loaded none of the player races were showing in the NPC or Races tab. But when I load the core rules and the core rules players resources at the same time Everything is doubled. Races, items classes ect

Blahness98
November 30th, 2018, 21:13
You as a GM do not need to load the Player versions of the Core Rule Book. Your GM version has everything the player version has and more. The player version only has the player options they need to create and customize a character/star ship. They do not need access to the images or NPCs. The Player's versions of the books can be useful if you are creating specific loot drops for your players and want to link the specific item into a parcel, but beyond that..

Personally, I only load whatever resources I need at the given time or everything I may need only during prep work time. It helps cut down on the amount of memory FG uses during the actual game. In the library, I put the check mark next to all the things that I am allowing the players to use, so they may load it if they need it and unload when they don't.

Talyn
November 30th, 2018, 22:25
By default, all the DLC will be correctly shared or not. No need to fool with the checkmarks unless you are manually overriding the normal shared status.

As @Blahness says, there is absolutely no need for you to load the player DLC if you're the GM. Doing so just duplicates all the content for you, leading to confusion, as well as increasing your server's memory consumption. If you're running premade adventure DLC, all the monsters, maps, tokens, etc. are already in those ready to play so there's no need to have any bestiary-type DLC loaded. In fact, you'll notice those are set to read-only — the intent is for you to make a local copy of a monster or NPC to use in your homebrew campaign, so once you do that you no longer need the bestiary DLC loaded either.

msbranin
November 30th, 2018, 22:35
OK turning off the alien archive player resources and alien archive 2 player resource, disables the the player races from both those manuals in my races tab. Which is what prompted my original question. My assumption was the player resources for those had only the stuff that players needed and the full selection had everything. But that is not the case... if I have the both loaded I have access to everything... if I only have the main book loaded and not the player resource then all the player stuff vanishes. That cant be right ... or is it

No player re sources loaded

Both resources loaded

It is the same issue with pact worlds... I have to select both resources To have everything show up.

Blahness98
November 30th, 2018, 23:10
In the case of the CRB, you do not need to load both. You have access to everything in the non-player version of the CRB. In the other released modules, it appears that everything remotely player useful is in the player module while everything specific to GM needs is in the non-player version. For anything but the CRB, it appears both need to be loaded. Once again, the question is why you as a GM need those modules loaded. I can see the usefulness of the various items, but beyond that..

msbranin
November 30th, 2018, 23:14
That is my question. I have some players who chose a race from alien archive, some from alien archive 2, some chose themes from pact worlds.. some chose gear from armory. Some got gear from a adventure path module. So Do I need all this loaded up because they chose stuff from it?

Blahness98
November 30th, 2018, 23:27
You as a GM don't need it loaded. When you purchase the material, the DLC automatically flags the player stuff as usable by the player (as Talyn noted). The players can load and unload whatever they need on their end without you having to have it loaded. You can view everything they put onto their sheets on your end as it gets copied into place. See the examples below for the GM side of things, and the player side.

GM Side with everything I have loaded and unloaded:

Player Side of things that are loaded and access allowed to:

That's the player can use, and that is what I use as a GM. I allow access to all my material, but I don't need it loaded. They can load what they want when they want as they want. They have all the access they need to the material and once it hits their sheet, I can see everything.

Samarex
December 1st, 2018, 04:09
I may have to rethink this. I did it so things would not show up twice, but after reading the previous posts and thinking about it the GM should not need open the players book.
The only case I can think of that he would is if making a PC character for a player. Then yes so that he is getting the stuff from the players version, so that the links are right when the player gets it. If the GM used his book then the play would not be able to open the item as he would not have rhe GM version access.

But I could put all the data in the GM and everything should only sgow once.
I will look at it and if eight I will update the books involved.
Which should be AA1. A42 and Pact Worlds.

Samarex
December 1st, 2018, 04:20
You as a GM don't need it loaded. When you purchase the material, the DLC automatically flags the player stuff as usable by the player (as Talyn noted). The players can load and unload whatever they need on their end without you having to have it loaded. You can view everything they put onto their sheets on your end as it gets copied into place. See the examples below for the GM side of things, and the player side.

GM Side with everything I have loaded and unloaded:

Player Side of things that are loaded and access allowed to:

That's the player can use, and that is what I use as a GM. I allow access to all my material, but I don't need it loaded. They can load what they want when they want as they want. They have all the access they need to the material and once it hits their sheet, I can see everything.

The only thing I see with your set up is I would not share the Core Rulebook but share the Players version. It gives them all the same information minus the images. This was done for client memory issues. They still see the images in the Reference manual of rhe CRB, just cant open the big version of them. If they really need the big version of a image that image can be shared by the GM.
At least for a little while, that whole memory issue my be resolved soon.