PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 (64bit) OS / FG connection test failures continue

Mytherus
November 26th, 2018, 23:42
Hi. I need major help I think. I want to preface that I *DID* email support and I *DID* read some other thread topics on here related to connection issues but none of it has helped me. This issue is massively negatively impacting my excitement with FG and what my future plans are with it. Honestly I'm getting bummed over this.

I'll give you all the details I know that I did and that I know of...

OS I'm using : Windows 10 64bit
Router I'm using: NetGear Nighthawk R7300
ISP provider : Xfinity (Comcast)
Setup: I use Comcast's Modem, but the router function on it is disabled and I use my router.

What I've done so far to help resolve this on my own...

1. I setup my computer's IP to be static, then recorded that static IP down. Using that static IP I set a port forwarding rule in my router for port 1802. Its set as both the starting and ending port, both internal and external.

2. Next, I went into my windows fire wall and added an exception for port 1802 for the TCP protocol. In this rule I'm also using the program path for my fantasy grounds install (in my case that is D:\ProgramFiles(x86)\FantasyGrounds\FantasyGrounds .exe)

*When I emailed support about this they replied to just use the 32 bit program. I'm desperate at this port so I made two rules anyway, they are both the same but one is for D:\ProgramFiles(x86)\FantasyGrounds\FantasyGrounds _x64.exe . Just in case. (again in this rule I'm entering port 1802 as internal/external start and finish), originally I read someting about a port 30 something or other UDP? But in the FG support email reply they said nope -- its only port 1802 you need to worry about.

3. I use an AV program called Intrusta. There's virtually no settings on it. I wish I was exaggerating here but I'm literally being dead honest. You have three scan choices and a reports/notifications option (basic, custom and advanced kind of deals), you can't even turn off real time scanning its on by default. All that aside -- I tested FG's connection with Intrusta completely disabled 100% and it still didn't work, so either way I don't think its my AV causing the issues.

4. Last thing to say on steps taken -- I did reboot the computer and the router after the above , still no joy. I click the test button and FG just keeps giving me the big fat FAILURE in all red.

I want to note that until I started with FG I've never run into any computer or server/service connection issues. I play numerous online games from almost every title from Blizzard, to Titanfall, to BF1, etc. etc. I use steam. I stream video services all the time...never a single solitary connection issue or error related to networking. In fact my latency to all these games and services is 9 out of 10 times excellent.

(I know that all said its not the same as a peer computer IE. like a player connecting to my machine, but I wanted to give an idea to let everyone know this is strictly a problem related solely with Fantasy Grounds)

At this point I don't know what else to do.. I briefly read about port forwarding services that some have used... I really don't want to put any more money into this endeavor so those would be my very last resort.

Thank you for your time and any help you may provide me. I assure you it is greatly appreciated.

Tom

Andraax
November 26th, 2018, 23:59
You'll need to port forward your Comcast modem to the router. Since it has it's own router, I doubt it's in bridge mode.

LordEntrails
November 27th, 2018, 00:04
Other thing to check, make sure your network connection in Windows is set to "private" because if it is public then Windows will block incoming connections.

damned
November 27th, 2018, 00:05
if you would like me to connect up to your system and have a look with you please send me your email via PM.

damned
November 27th, 2018, 00:16
Have a look at this post and see if its relevant: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46721-Trouble-Getting-Started&p=415740&viewfull=1#post415740

Mytherus
November 28th, 2018, 00:14
You'll need to port forward your Comcast modem to the router. Since it has it's own router, I doubt it's in bridge mode.

It's fixed. My fantasy grounds now shows "SUCCESS"! when I do test connection.

Thank you sir. Your simple sentence I quoted above was the eureka moment that turned on the light switch for me. Let me tell you I feel a bit embarrassed now.

Here I am typing to you guys my connection woes , thinking I've tried everything, then Andraxx says that one sentence which my mind repeats as "Hey buddy um.....did you try bridge mode because perhaps the Comcast router is still on and blocking the port forward?"

That's exactly what it was. I've been running for a while now thinking I'm in full bridge mode...I wasn't. I disabled the WiFi on my Comcast modem many many months ago -- so I've been WiFi from my own router the whole time. However, Comcast router was still on though. The comcast router was causing the issue. Mine was correctly set from the first time I set up port forwarding.

The saddest part -- I do IT for a living.... :) Oh well wasn't the first time in my career I looked at everything except the simplest solution.

It happens.

Everyone who replied to me....You people rock. Thank you so much I honestly have been on many MANY forums throughout 3 decades of gaming (remember the BBS days...yeah I started back then) the responsiveness and the volume of help that comes your way , in my experience, from this forum community is among the best I've seen in all my time.

(Don't believe me ask for help on some of the popular game forums....see the comments you get. :) )

Thanks again. I'm in business.. my DM plans are intact....

Have a good night.

Trenloe
November 28th, 2018, 19:10
... looked at everything except the simplest solution.

It happens.
It sure does. That's why when others (I know you didn't) come on the forums saying "I've done everything" we don't believe them. That, along with "nothing's changed". ;)

I'm in business.. my DM plans are intact....
That's what counts. I hope they're cunning plans? :)

Nylanfs
November 28th, 2018, 22:28