PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Getting Started

ThePickledDragon
November 26th, 2018, 22:40
I picked up the ultimate license today along with some core books. My initial install of FG warned that it did not install properly and to reinstall. I reinstalled and set up port forwarding, ensured that FG was not going to be blocked by a firewall, and kicked off the application. I was a little concerned with the new install as this is what popped up when I tried to create a new campaign:

After running multiple updates through FG I was able to load the application without receiving these errors. Once I had the software loading without error I began running connection tests without success. I tweaked and googled all day but have finally hit a wall. I am on a wireless connection in my home. I used Port Forward Network Utilities to set up my static IP and set up port forwarding in my ASUS RT-AC66R router. I double and triple checked to make sure that FG was given the all clear to move through the firewall. At this point I am spinning my wheels. Any help would be much appreciated.

Zacchaeus
November 26th, 2018, 22:58
Hi ThePickledDragon welcome to FG.

The errors are showing that FG hasn't installed properly. Make sure that you have full read/write permission to the place where you are installing the FG Data folder to. This is a separate location from where FG installs. You can find where FG has installed the data to by clicking on the small folder icon top right of the start screen.

The port forwading issue is a separate matter. First make sure that your network is set to private and not public and that you have also created an exception for FG in your anti virus software.

If that still doesn't solve the issue can you post a screenshot of the result of a tracert 8.8.8.8 (type cmd into the search bar bottom left of the task bar, choose command prompt and type tracert 8.8.8.8 into the black box)

Moon Wizard
November 26th, 2018, 23:02
Welcome to the fourms!

Also, you should try moving closer to your wireless access point if at all possible, or running a wired line. If you have a weak or noisy signal, the packet loss could be causing issues with retrieving files for update (as well as later ongoing play).

For the connection test, you only need to run the connection test if you will be the GM for your group. If you are going to be the GM, then definitely follow Zacchaeus's instructions above.

Regards,
JPG

ThePickledDragon
November 26th, 2018, 23:26
For the anti virus exception, do I select the FG .exe?

My Trace: 25400

damned
November 27th, 2018, 00:15
Approve the three .exes

You have two routers/modems doing NAT.

You have something like this:

Internet ---- (73.208.214.193)Router1(10.0.0.1) ------ (10.0.0.??)Router2(192.168.1.1) ------ (192.168.1.150)PC

You need to on Router1
Create a Port Forward Rule for TCP 1802 -> 10.0.0.?? on TCP 1802 (where ?? is the WAN IP of Router2)

You need to on Router2
Create a Port Forward Rule for TCP 1802 -> 192.168.1.150 on TCP 1802

You need to on your PC
Set the Network Profile of the adapter with IP address 192.168.1.150 to Private

ThePickledDragon
November 27th, 2018, 01:22
I only have a single router and modem.

I took down my firewall and attempted the connection test and still failure.

Port Forwarding is set up correctly. Could my ISP be blocking ports? ugh...

LordEntrails
November 27th, 2018, 01:49
Wait until one of the network gurus answers, but it appears to me that your traceroute is indicating you have 2 devices between you and the internet. If you only have one in your house, then the other belongs to your ISP, and they will have to enable port forwarding on it (unless you can log into it).

If that's the case, then tell your ISP you do peer to peer gaming and need port 1802 forwarded to your gateway and see if they can/will do that for you.

damned
November 27th, 2018, 02:18
Yep there are definitely two devices.
What type of internet connection are you using?
Cable, Fibre, DSL, Satellite, Wireless, 4G etc?

Is this a private residence?
Is it a single dwelling?
Do you have a choice of internet providers or are you in some arrangement where everyone is connected by the same provider?

If you browse to https://10.0.0.1/ what do you get?

ThePickledDragon
November 27th, 2018, 03:53
I am on Cable and plan to call my ISP tomorrow. When I browse to 10.0.0.1 it sends me to an xfinity router login. I just don't have the credentials to login with.

I am running this on my home machine and am locked into xfinity. There are no other options in my area.

damned
November 27th, 2018, 04:04
I am on Cable and plan to call my ISP tomorrow. When I browse to 10.0.0.1 it sends me to an xfinity router login. I just don't have the credentials to login with.

I am running this on my home machine and am locked into xfinity. There are no other options in my area.

Well... the infinity router/modem is a second router.
Tell them you would like either the login details - or - for them to "Port Forward TCP 1802 to your router (tell them your routers WAN address - 10.0.0.??) and can they make a DHCP reservation for it too"

ThePickledDragon
November 27th, 2018, 17:20
Many thanks to you all! We are in business!