PDA

View Full Version : Squareware: Special Tools for the Tabletop DM and VTT FG User [Live on Kickstarter]

gtw2017
November 26th, 2018, 22:12
Hello everyone :) - I'm on Kickstarter seeking funding to extend work on an electronic version of a very special dice kit I have developed within VTT Software and having secured a licensed deal with Smiteworks Fantasy Grounds LLC whom rarely grant permission for Kickstarters I'm excited about this wonderful opportunity to try and push their software and my imagination to the limits.
The project is based on a dicekit I built that combines the best features of a Box, Bag, Mats and Dice to give you millions of instant creative solutions during or while building your RPG - and - helps the DM eliminate creative, mental and physical fatigue; minimizing the need for manuals; freeing up space behind the DM screen; allowing you to craft entire quest concepts in seconds; and making it easy on your shoulders, bag or pocket to carry. Essentially designed to help me improve my story-telling ability both actively and passively and to make creative connections to put together random quests and source information at virtual light-speed. Squareware offers solutions to a range of issues DM's face every time they prep for game and run it.

This double-project offers a physical set that provides 15 dice with 250 stickers with different labels on each face, they are rolled on their own (90 to the power of 90 combination) or onto 2 double-sided dice roll boards giving you millions of combinations of rapid details for your game, the dice are rolled into a box preventing table roll-off, you get the set and the digital art and shipping for $75 AUD (55 USD) with Delivery in MARCH 2019

I have also built an incredible and even more powerful set that uses the VTT Software Fantasy Grounds (which only requires the free demo version to run this product) and which allows thousands more variables and which outputs an entire quest with npcs, objects, weapons, potions and more with a SINGLE CLICK. Thousands and thousands of variables [and counting] are selected and randomly assemble everything you need to put together a full adventure on the fly. As a licensed seller of Fantasy Grounds media I can update the master file as needed which will update all copies at the same time making additions and future changes effortless. I'm offering this super-table for just $32 with Delivery in FEB 2019 - users will be able to get the E-squareware module directly from Smiteworks. Take a look at the 3 min demo video to see Squareware used in Fantasy Grounds.

Check out the campaign, details and its video here: SQUAREWARE RELAUNCH (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/squareware-rpg-tools-for-sparking-the-creative-bra)

Thank you for your support, we are halfway there.
Kind Regards,
Kris

Myrdin Potter
November 28th, 2018, 13:44
I backed this. Kris always does quality products.

Bidmaron
November 29th, 2018, 03:22
What rulesets will this be compatible with? Ready to back but would like to know that answer.

gtw2017
November 29th, 2018, 04:14
What rulesets will this be compatible with? Ready to back but would like to know that answer.

Hey Bidmaron - I only play 5e atm, so the random effects that output codes for adding to weapons/potions used in it is 5e but the design concept is generic - a lamp is a lamp, a screeching sound is a screeching sound in any ruleset. Being licensed however - the option exists for me to go back and add other rulesets to it in the future but atm, its only 5e.

Trenloe
November 29th, 2018, 05:45
Kris - I’d recommend you make that distinction in the KS regarding the FG ruleset this will run under.

Also, under the Fantasy Grounds section on the main page you mention: "You can use it from your phone, tablet or PC with no additional costs...". FG can't be used on a phone or tablet (unless it’s a tablet running full Windows).

gtw2017
November 29th, 2018, 06:29
Kris - I’d recommend you make that distinction in the KS regarding the FG ruleset this will run under.

Also, under the Fantasy Grounds section on the main page you mention: "You can use it from your phone, tablet or PC with no additional costs...". FG can't be used on a phone or tablet (unless it’s a tablet running full Windows).

Really? OK - thanks. Ill' make a note in the KS about the ruleset.

Ammendment made, thanks Trenloe.

Trenloe
November 29th, 2018, 12:12
Really?
Yep. FG is a Windows application - it can't be used on phones or tablets (Android, iPad, etc.). I'd suggest you amend the KS page to make that clear - as it currently reads, people unfamiliar with FG might think they can use your FG product on their phone or tablet - which they can't.

mac40k
November 29th, 2018, 13:10
Backed!

Bidmaron
November 29th, 2018, 13:18
Gtw, I realize 5e is king of the hill right now but I cannot back something that won’t at least do corerpg out of the box. I really like supporting your ks’s because you do great work but I am bowing out on this one.

gtw2017
November 29th, 2018, 16:08
Gtw, I realize 5e is king of the hill right now but I cannot back something that won’t at least do corerpg out of the box. I really like supporting your ks’s because you do great work but I am bowing out on this one.

Trenloe - I am extremely responsive, and as soon as you mentioned this I ammended it - I checked again in case you were reading some second instance where I might have mentioned this but there isn't one I can find, so it was changed moments after you posted the first time - it no longer offers tablet or phone and makes clear its for a 5e ruleset at this stage.

Mac40k - thank you!

Bidmaron - I don't expect anything from anyone, previous backers are not a presumption as future backers - I don't know a lot about computers beyond what I can make them do to make maps, run a website and build certain tools - I'm still very early into FG, 5e and have onyl played a single game of any other ruleset. my workload keeps me very busy - here and there I try to pick up on the lingo/jargon used but not a lot of it makes any sense at this point in time. I have developed my own ruleset in morecore but even making maps is fairly new to me my friend, with time I will be able to learn and offer more advanced options.

sirkerry
November 29th, 2018, 16:44
Backed!

gtw2017
November 29th, 2018, 16:49
That's awesome thank you sirkerry - I've just added some new tables to it, large and small treasure and am about to add 99+ pieces of Dungeon Decor in preparation for dungeonscape descriptions.

Trenloe
November 29th, 2018, 16:56
(Posting from my phone. Sorry for brevity and no screenshots.)

The section I quoted is still there: "You can use it from your phone, tablet or PC with no additional cost..."

To find it do a CTRL+F in your web browser and search for "phone".

gtw2017
November 29th, 2018, 17:11
(Posting from my phone. Sorry for brevity and no screenshots.)

The section I quoted is still there: "You can use it from your phone, tablet or PC with no additional cost..."

To find it do a CTRL+F in your web browser and search for "phone".

thats a neat trick - ok, I was mistaken and it Was written twice, thanks Trenloe I got it this time.

Trenloe
November 29th, 2018, 17:39
thats a neat trick - ok, I was mistaken and it Was written twice, thanks Trenloe I got it this time.
Cool bananas.

gtw2017
December 2nd, 2018, 08:43
Hello everyone :) We're nearly there and I really appreciate all of your support. Hopefully a visit on Rob Twohy and Laerun's 'All Things Fantasy Grounds' stream show on the 12th Dec will bring in a surge of new backing. It is a noticeably slower time for Kickstarters in Nov-Dec due to pressures of Xmas, new Years, Holidays etc but I believe we'll get over the line soon and we don't need much to do it.

Regardless I have been working on some new features to add to the Electronic Squareware.

Decor

200 possible decor features for dungeons have been added, inc a small and large treasure table.

Directional XY

More advanced details on where in particular a random object, tool, treasure. feature, sound, trap, even npcs.etc appears in relation to the PC - with directional capability for X and Y dimensions meaning things might be generated beside you, to your left, a long way off from you, or a certain number of feet in a given direction. it might also occur above or below you as well - giving generated objects random movements within 3d space making for far more interesting rooms and descriptions. Cardinal directions are also featured now.

Weapon Attack Descriptions

Suggested by James at Smiteworks when I showed him SW, I'm working on adding numerous descriptions the DM can generate to suit particular weapons and severity of attack. Detailing these is one of my natural strengths as a DM so it didn't occur to me to add it - but he asked - and I think its definitely a great extra feature to add. All of these extra bits can give a DM the option to fire off a result and buy time to think about what comes next without slowing the pace.

Traps

Still in progress - but a staple requirement for D&D I will be adding

APC AI

Now, one of the more annoying things I have noticed as a new DM is the absence of a player can at best delay a planned game, at worst cancel it. My tendency has been to move toward a more sand-box approach and think on ways to bypass this disruption should I be planning a campaign or even a long one-shot and I don't have a) enough players or b) a missing player. One solution I have devised to meet this challenge seems to me the most practical - but certainly one of the most ambitious. I'm sure you're familiar with the concept of the GM'd PC - I've heard it in passing and its when a GM takes over a PC, with mixed results and appreciation from players naturally. What I am attempting to do, and add to squareware, is create an Artificial PC with quasi-controlled AI that can step in to fill any gaps that prevent me from running a game because I am minus a player.

While free-form roleplay and involvement by the GM playing a PC is understandably a contentious issue - I plan to create the means for a PC to roll reactions in general and specific circumstances that govern what they do. How they do it, is over to the GM's creativity to fill in the blanks - but the instructions of the roll must be followed as that APC's course of action. To limit the mechanicality of going through the motions I am buildng an AI that can have changeable moods, comments in and for various situations, movement patterns, and attempting a very low-key experimental form of AI that will allow me (And You) to 'fudge' a PC when there isn't one. These core guidelines will run the PC without GM bias - with the GM simply creatively carrying them out as the dice instruct. While I have been developing concept such as 'Rapid-Shots' , 'Long-Shots' and other creative ways to approach playing D&D, I consider APCAI an 'emergency' service that will enable almost any show to go on.

Kind Regards,

Kris

Bidmaron
December 2nd, 2018, 14:42
Wow, very ambitious, Kris. Good luck. That will definitely limit it to 5e.

gtw2017
December 2nd, 2018, 23:48
Wow, very ambitious, Kris. Good luck. That will definitely limit it to 5e.

For now. For the 3rd time I just read the FG Manual cover to cover, then directly after that the full PHB. I took a break got some sleep, digested it. And am now halfway through the DMG. It's not my intent to limit Squareware to 5e - but it is the system with which I am most familiar and is most popular. I have my own system as well - but I intend to learn Coc, PF and SW as I have played in those systems as a Player and enjoyed them very much, so I will still need suitable squareware branches to cover those same criteria when I start learning, running, streaming and then teaching those rulesets in 2019.

COC is probably the most exciting genre type I've seen as I am a super-fan of Lovecraft but I also enjoyed SW and I like the 3.5e style complexity and depth of everything in Pathfinder which is a more realistic simulator than D&D. I see no reason why I can't update squareware with these rule systems as I have a licensed product - but to do it now when I know virtually nothing of them would be redundant. But the first half of 2019 should see them added.

Myrdin Potter
December 3rd, 2018, 02:16
You are really close to funding. I am in, like all of your KS.

For those that do not know, Kris has many kickstarters delivered on time with high quality.

gtw2017
December 3rd, 2018, 02:43
You are really close to funding. I am in, like all of your KS.

For those that do not know, Kris has many kickstarters delivered on time with high quality.

Very close. We'll get there, hopefully stay there, so thanks for your support Myrdin!. This is also good for FG who take a very decent percentage of any Electronic Squareware sold as its an officially licensed product.

gtw2017
December 4th, 2018, 00:38
Hello everyone :) I just live-tested a beta-version of squareware with the new APC function in a three-hour game I ran for for a complete newbie to Fantasy Grounds (Salamander) and a dab hand at FG (Jtron) in a one-shot I put together using only Squareware, my maps and my imagination and no prep. This enables me to see how best to set-out Squareware, how it can be improved to make it better, where there might be trouble spots and also what is working well.

This session attempted to use 'Tagalong' (my new APC) without any prior practice to test whether the way I have it now is going to work - and also how the players might react to him. It also gives you a chance to watch me DM and teach a new player a crash course in FG which you might also find useful if you want to start using it. I was taught everything I know from Fantasy Grounds College (check link below) which is where we hosted this game. This short quest showcases a lot of the amazing features FG has to offer as well as some of the reasons I am working closely with it. Feel free to add your own comments if you watch the video - or maybe even let me know if you want to join one of my games.

So keeping in mind I did no prep beyond clicking the Squareware buttons - I get access to a range of information that as a DM I need to 'sew' together into a seamless story. I have not edited this video beyond taking out some sections where I had to go AFK and checking to make sure there was nothing in it that would be beyond PG 13+ (nope) but I have listed a few time marks in case you want to skip me teaching Salamander some of the ropes.

Also I did try to embed this file as a vid into Kickstarter, (3g) but after patiently waiting 2 hours for it to do so it eventually told me 'this video cannot be uploaded'. awesome lol. So I've added it to my Gdrive and it can be downloaded from there...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sYaWcgV5T0bhA9PQyUrT5_BLGkkVVyGe

0.00 I intro Squareware and my intended playtest goals to my players.

6.46 - I guide Salamander through how to use FG as a player inc. a brief combat session.

45.00 - The proper quest begins.

2:42 game ends.

2.52: video ends

Squareware makes things simple enough to pull the right info - though combining it with the APC process was a bit of a juggling act at times partly because its so completely new and I've had no practice with it yet. The playtest was fun - but it did also give me a better idea of how to approach numerous angles of Squareware to make it easier to use - including how to better tune the APC functions. It's early days yet and I will make changes accordingly and then re-test. As you will notice, I don't let Squareware hem me in or decide exactly how I use the information written - rather I take what I need and even twist various info to suit what I need it for but it enables me to more quickly give a fluid response by taking some of the thinking out of the process. --------

Thanks go to Jtron and Salamander for the playtest and permission to record it.

Fantasy Grounds College website with FG info and class sign-up = Fantasygroundscollege.net

Fantasy Grounds College on Discord: https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw.

gtw2017
December 6th, 2018, 04:50
And FUNDED. Thanks everyone! And to everyone that has been sharing the campaign inc you Michael, Aaron and Doug and helping this get noticed extra thanks - taking this step opens a whole new world of possibilities to explore, which I can now do more extensively. I've just added 99 new 'Acquaintance' entries which indicate how the party knows an NPC and a huge list of traps to the FG e-squareware version and am now adding a variety of attack descriptions for core weapons types, i.e bludgeoning, slashing etc.

gtw2017
December 10th, 2018, 15:25
I just finished a live demonstration here on 'All Things Fantasy Grounds' that you can check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcIJLfRoZ84

Kind Regards,

Kris

gtw2017
December 11th, 2018, 15:12
Here are some of the new additions I will be adding to Squareware. Keeping in mind that simply having a huge amount of information can sometimes be less useful than having the right information I've carefully considered the utility of these new functions.

-Book Titles
-Shields
-Flags
-Paintings/Tapestries
-Ambient Descriptions : Inside/Outside + Day/Night
-Clothing
-Street Bustle Descriptions
-Facial Expressions
-Stacks - i.e. Crates, Barrels, etc and their contents.
-Furnishings
-Trash
-Containers - chests, strongboxes to jars, pots, ingredients etc.
-Necklaces / Rings / Amulets.
-General Figures.

Some of these represent new categories in their own right, others help refine certain details, others compliment what already exists or add features to areas of gameplay not yet covered. These represent further commonly required details for adventures.

funded with just 6 days left to go :)

gtw2017
December 12th, 2018, 19:02
Just met a LUA extension designer who may be able to help create an extension to allow a full simulation of the dice set, inside FG - allowing users to roll on digital mats with custom squareware dice. very early talks, and something I very much want, but definitely opening a door to the direction I will be seeking to take it.

gtw2017
December 13th, 2018, 19:05
As I've been working and building this beast I've been steadily working out what else I need for this to be a supertool for RPG - there are already 64+ tables in Squareware, and I am going to be adding a gigantic 45 more tables to the FG squareware. Some of them subcategories for added refinement and delimitation to prevent messy match-ups, but most of them new categories - these will help add extra descriptive depth to existing tables, to the point where virtually everything has been covered - and I will start adding, organizing and refining the data and making squareware spit me out a hypercube. Even with over 100 tables, this does not include the huge amount of stuff for the APC side of squareware which has more than a dozen tables of its own, and may need more as I work with the APC concept to make it work. And this is just its first incarnation...

I'm also adding a d4-based tumbler lock and safe combination mini game that DM's can use with players to determine their ability/accuracy to open a timed lock/safe/trapped door - a kind of uber-puzzle that can be applied to lots of things.

So, that's the latest :)

gtw2017
December 22nd, 2018, 20:02
Hello Everyone :) The Relaunch was successful, things have progressed very quickly and I have the Printed Kits assembled inside TGC's Print-on-Demand system ready to send - I am just awaiting funds to clear.

The version of the physical set being offered for the relaunch has the following changes:

It will be printed POD from GameCrafter.
The new version will have an 11 x 9" Box.
The dice will not be flush or silk-screened, they will be inset and use stickers for the faces. The dice are 19mmx19mm hard-wearing dense plastic with the inset protecting the sticker.
The mat will not be Neoprene it will be thick dry/wet erasable board.
There will be a bag but it will not feature a logo.
Physical versions will only ship within the US.
I cannot make custom pieces or changes and must work with what TGC offer.
However:

270 stickers (3 of each of the 90 faces) will be supplied in case of damage to the faces or peeling.
Shipping is included in the price and should be fairly rapid given that TGC is in the states - lowering wait time to less than 60 days rather than a year or more (speaking from experience as someone that shipped TGC frequently). I've used TGC products extensively in the past and am happy with the quality they produce. I've made dozens of orders from there and supplied them too.
A wet/dry erasable coating on the boards means you can mark what you roll for your records.
This is your last chance to place an order at the $75 AUD Kickstarter price (shipping is included) - or to order a copy of the $32 AUD super-powerful Fantasy Grounds version which doubled in size and now has a graphic interface to enable rapid visual selection for group and individual rolls - before both of these items are raised in price following a public release.

You can contact me here if interested before Jan 10.

Thanks, and kind regards,

Kris

gtw2017
January 6th, 2019, 21:30
What is Squareware?

Squareware is a random generator on steroids with a facelift and a body tuck.

It's important to point out that Squareware is a supplement and quick-save for DM's with an already considerable imagination and deft talent for telling a story - it provides convenient detail for content that helps to keep the pace of the story going, and provide filler for mostly non-essential, non-volitional parts of the RPG journey.

What can become or be made essential from that generated content is up to the DM - but Squareware exists to quickly fill the gaps between the content of the story: to allow you to let your players go anywhere and do anything because whatever they do, you can instantly provide detail for.

The majority of games and their core fundamental principles have not changed since I began using a Commodore 64 in the early 80's, even 30 years on with the latest RPG PC and Console Games the physics of our world bind us to perform specific actions. These actions can be reduced to the most simplest of repetitive actions. We store smaller things inside of larger things.
Some things things are worth more than others. We describe things generally - and then get more specific as more detail is requested or required. If someone interacts with something they learn more about it the more they study it.

With this in mind - there is in fact a very limited amount of actions that players perform in any RPG no matter how complex its rules - and squareware takes advantage of this fact to produce content that covers virtually every necessity for a DM: with deepening layers of detail.

From rolling a full quest with every key element done for you for an instant one-shot:
To providing detail for a random tavern buildings appearance, then the interior atmosphere and features, its patrons, right down to the menu with food and drink, and pricing - and for taverns of different status from poor to rich. And then applied again for Markets and Dungeons.

Titles and authors for every book your players pick up, contents of varying quality and quantity in any container, room decor and features for any room they enter: you get the idea: and while such supertables exist - Squareware packs them into a visual ****pit that hides all the messy underwiring and makes it dead easy to find what you want when you need it just by looking.

Key elements such as generators for times of day, week and a sliderbar to keep track of Time, are a fairly expected addition: some of the unique additions this product offers to a DM includes:

A random Passage of Time generator that can be read as players transition from one area to the next providing a descriptive bridge for colour or to buy you time while you swap maps or build encounters.

Ambience Generators for Wilderness/Road Travel by Day or Night, and again in Towns/Villages/City Districts.

Musical Score and Band descriptions that detail who is playing what with what instrument, what it sounds like, its tempo and even how it makes the players feel.

Event Generators that are sub-divided into Close and Distant in space, and Immediate and Impending in time - so you can keep the action going here, or take it there, now, or later.
Lures, Splits and Rallies are a further sub-division of Events that can be employed to entice the players to go in a specific direction, to come back together or to be split apart as the story requires it.

Location Generators give you the Name and Terrain Type. NPC and Villains allow you to quickly make NPCs of varying moral compass.

Trap, Treasure and Object Sliders are sub-categorized into Worth - so you can generate content for players without breaking the economic balance - or reward/punish them heavily at your whim on a scale of degree.

Tables for the five senses enable you to conjure up a sound,a smell, a taste, an appearance, or how something feels.

Pre-generated examples have been compiled into new tables where for instance you might have 100 of the randomly generated furnishings in a CARPENTER table. Or 100 detailed wines with bottle description, wine colour, smell, taste, name and label from the VINEYARD and dozens of others. Nicely separated from the red pin that signals a random generator by a green pin that signals a pregenerator.

Then we have the APC AI or Artificial Player Character Artificial Intelligence system or Alpaca for short. This series of rolls tables pre-determines the actions of a DM-owned and operated PC that can stand in and make up the numbers of absent players but which removes the DM bias (real or imagined) from the process by rolling the actions, tactics, comments and behaviours of the APC from tables - leaving the DM's job to creatively carry out how these approaches are performed and described. With random speeech tailored for different situations, tactics for melee, ranged and magical combat, exploration and movement tables, its own mood, vote preference, the ability to complain or simply perform idle habits such as scratching their chin while watching a butterfly - the APC allows any DM to let the show go on by making up the numbers and simulating a PC with a mind of its own. Squareware provides a space to put the portrait to bring up their sheet and room to store various pins according to your design and need.

Description generators for making attacks in the various types of damage are provided as well as descriptors of critical hits and failed misses.
Using the template of an unshared map the DM can operate Squareware like a centralized control panel easily creating all the content they need for whatever situation they find themselves - including running a Biasless PC should the need arise so that the show can always go on.

Squareware is not just a content generator - it is a story generator - it has been designed to give random flowing descriptions of things not just spit disjointed words at you. It has almost 200 individual tables with more than 5000+ variables that make up the complex wiring beneath - that is elegantly represented in a professional Graphic User Interface so you can get what you need with one click of a button and not have to scroll through five pages of tables looking for it.

Squareware represents a true evolution of the 'Random Generator' concept - combining the powerful story templates and nested table functions of Fantasy Grounds with huge organized lists of data, nouns, adjectives and verbs bridging every conceivable RPG Narrative need from portal and magical effect descriptions to separating poor drinks from rich wines - strung together using my own written joinery - to narrative devices that pull or push your players where you want them to go - to combining supertables with the new concept of a Bialess 'Alpaca' - and all in one very powerful, virtually limitless, compact, elegant package. It is, one, of the ultimate tools a DM could have for running adventure - A friend when you are tired, a time-saver when you are under pressure, an inventor when you have no time, and a bag of holding when you need to pull a particular rabbit out of a particular hat.

And it is very nearly ready for its beta-test...

gtw2017
January 15th, 2019, 14:16
It's done. And will soon be submitted. Almost 90 individual features and 275,000 lines of code.

Check out the Operations Manual here.: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QTsJs69weNnLjeBHxYcwjk3K3Wo-t229

Nylanfs
January 15th, 2019, 14:24
Looks awesome. :)

paladiusdarkhelm
January 16th, 2019, 20:13
First I've heard of this (found link from Trenlo in another post about randomized book titles). This sounds rad.

Gtw2017, Will the Fantasy Grounds portion be available for purchase by folks that didn't get a chance to back you? If so, will it be available around the same target date from your kickstarter (Feb 2019)? Thank you!

gtw2017
January 16th, 2019, 21:31
Hello. Yes it will. Roughly yes. It was submitted - but then I pulled it after seeing it with fresh eyes to make some more changes including more detail to the APC and operations manual. But I am almost done and almost ready to resubmit. So it should be available by Feb 28th at the latest early feb at the earliest - depends on James workload and other extenuating factors.

SailorLovins
January 20th, 2019, 01:34
Is it possible to preorder a copy?

gtw2017
January 20th, 2019, 03:30
It's not - as far as I understand - Backers from the kickstarter will get it first, then very shortly after, approx a week, it will go onto the Fantasy Grounds store where anyone will be able to buy it. So it shouldn't be a long wait.

gtw2017
February 6th, 2019, 19:26
Hi all - the official 'SquareWareFG' is now out on Fantasy Grounds, Steam - so if you have any comments, feedback, questions, etc you can feel free to ask them and I will try to field them.

paladiusdarkhelm
February 6th, 2019, 19:42
I've never purchased anything for FG via Steam. Does it install just like anything you'd get from like the DM's Guild where you also have to check in on it to see if there're updates, or will it self-install like an executable and auto-update?

Thanks for the extra info, since I'm a n00b w/Steam!

gtw2017
February 6th, 2019, 19:49
Yes I believe it does - it uses the same .mod file so you would download it, update FG, then it should enter your library as per any official module purchased from FG and you simply load it.
As for updates, there will likely be an update in a months time for SquareWare - as its currently in its beta-test, though so far reviews have been very positive and there appear to be no major program errors or glitches so any errors are being gathered for an alpha-release (if needed) - but once its installed, if any changes are made to the original file it will auto-update as you update.

paladiusdarkhelm
February 6th, 2019, 20:21
I think I purchased FG on the FG store here on this site. When I try in Steam, I get this:

"Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy 'Fantasy Grounds - Squareware (5E)' which requires ownership of 'Fantasy Grounds'. Please correct the error and try again."

gtw2017
February 6th, 2019, 20:30
I don't know what that means - but SquareWare is available from FantasyGrounds store, here, as well as Steam if that is the issue.

Trenloe
February 6th, 2019, 21:40
I think I purchased FG on the FG store here on this site. When I try in Steam, I get this:

"Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy 'Fantasy Grounds - Squareware (5E)' which requires ownership of 'Fantasy Grounds'. Please correct the error and try again."
Enter your FG license key in Steam. Details here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/558755530621472814/

And after you make a purchase on Steam, sync your FG account to Steam. Details here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Sync_Your_Fantasy_Grounds_Account_To_Steam

But, as Kris mentions, you can get SquareWave from the FG store - and more funds will go directly to FG that way.

Aometora
February 11th, 2019, 23:25
This looks very cool. If you can port it over to Pathfinder, I will buy it in a heartbeat. I realize that the whole "lamp is a lamp" argument, but in the pathfinder game I run, unless I can quick show the maps and the like, it takes away the whole "on the fly" concept as I generate on one session using 5e and cannot directly port it over to PF.

gtw2017
February 12th, 2019, 10:38
Thanks Trenloe :)

Hi Aometora, the majority of Squareware uses 'lamp is a lamp' features, such as ambient description, objects, food, drink, treasure etc - but you're right, the fundamental world of pathfinder is different to 5e, inc stats, npcs/creatures, weapons, and tech so of the 500+ tables in Squareware, prob 25% would require some alteration. It will also require me to be familiar with PF or/and PF2, and/or choose between PF or PF2. Which takes time to read, learn and table. it would also require me to raise funds to buy me time to work on it - but I am already committed to releasing an Alpha-Version of the 5e SQW which requires monitoring feedback and making changes for a re-release and also have a huge new project, Meanders 4: Fantasy Cities, several large impending commissions, and am assembling token packs and other tools for FG. I played a single game of PF1 as a PC and saw how different it is from 5e, especially tactical depth and complexity-wise - so its not simply a matter of porting either, fundamental changes to the way I have set things up would need their own expansions and require being approached differently in numerous cases. You're the second person to ask for a PF version, so I'm not sure of the demand for it either. Regardless, I want to perfect the 5e version before I move to one that is more complex.

Nylanfs
February 12th, 2019, 12:15
What about attempting to use the extension that lets you load other system modules?

Aometora
February 12th, 2019, 14:51
Having entered my own modules and the like into FG, I COMPLETELY understand what an undertaking it is, and I can only imagine the tie-ins that would require updating if you were to port that over to one of those two systems. I am utterly amazed at what you have done so far from the video and the like I have looked at regarding this product. I realize PF (1) is on the way out now that PF (2) seems strong in beta almost release, but it is a system I like and Paizo has a ton of my money for this system.

So, even if the nitty-gritty doesn't translate over (npc stats, magic items, etc), the maps and descriptions would be grand. Do you know if in FG that this could work under a campaign in the PFRPG ruleset?

gtw2017
February 17th, 2019, 00:08
Alpha-version will be submitted approx 10th march which will fix a few things in the beta-test version currently out, meanwhile TERROR FORMER, which generates terrifying monsters in a process similar to Squareware will be coming onto the store soon too. I will complete my mission with 5e before attempting PF or any other ruleset.

fmmm1000
May 15th, 2019, 21:08
So, I just bought this Squarewave thing for Fantasy Grounds hoping it will help with my DMing. It looks amazing by the way--but I somehow missed the part where it says it was for D&D5e, and the game I'm running is for Pathfinder, which this doesn't show up in. :( So does this mean I now have a useless thing sitting in my Fantasy Grounds E5 files? Any advice?

Trenloe
May 15th, 2019, 21:29
So, I just bought this Squarewave thing for Fantasy Grounds hoping it will help with my DMing. It looks amazing by the way--but I somehow missed the part where it says it was for D&D5e, and the game I'm running is for Pathfinder, which this doesn't show up in. :( So does this mean I now have a useless thing sitting in my Fantasy Grounds E5 files? Any advice?
Try this extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41034-Universal-Module-Extension It will allow you to at least load the module in a PF campaign. You may get errors/strange functionality for 5E specific "stuff", but you should be able to utilise the system agnostic functionality.

Aometora
May 15th, 2019, 21:50
Please post how this works. if it's worth a darn, i will gladly pony up for this.

Zacchaeus
May 15th, 2019, 22:00
Please post how this works. if it's worth a darn, i will gladly pony up for this.

See the link in the first post.

fmmm1000
May 15th, 2019, 22:31
Try this extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41034-Universal-Module-Extension It will allow you to at least load the module in a PF campaign. You may get errors/strange functionality for 5E specific "stuff", but you should be able to utilise the system agnostic functionality.

Thanks! Looks like the only thing getting errors so far are the monster stat sheets, but those would need to be changed for my game anyway. I haven't tried the APC thing yet.

Aometora
May 15th, 2019, 23:24
Apologies if I wasn't clear. I meant post how the performance of the integrator works.

JohnD
May 16th, 2019, 22:55
SmiteWorks has a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee. Just saying.

Trenloe
May 16th, 2019, 23:51
Apologies if I wasn't clear. I meant post how the performance of the integrator works.
Yeah, still not really clear as I'm not sure what an "integrator" is.

If you were referring to using the universal module extension I provided a link to, then see a few posts above for some feedback from fmmm1000 here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46719-Squareware-Special-Tools-for-the-Tabletop-DM-and-VTT-FG-User-Live-on-Kickstarter&p=437988&viewfull=1#post437988

gtw2017
May 21st, 2019, 05:11
"SmiteWorks has a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee. Just saying." - that's right they do, a PathFinder version of SquareWare is on the horizon but it requires a considerable investment of time from me to learn the system - time I don't have and won't have for at least a few months. Try the patch someone posted and if it doesn't work - I'd suggest getting a refund.

gtw2017
August 15th, 2019, 04:59
While trying no to cross-post I think that this announcement should also be made here:

TERRORFORMER: Sequel to SquareWare is now live on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gametilewarehouse/terrorformer-create-terrifying-unique-monsters-in-one-click

I am also pleased to announce that due to popular request, I am finally offering to create a PATHFINDER version of SquareWare as an add-on.

Hope to see you there :)

Kind Regards,
Kris