PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding Issue - Cannot find a use case in forums (yet)

SpaceHobbit
November 26th, 2018, 03:09
Forgive me if this all too familiar territory but I've looked through various threads and Google searches to figure out what the resolution is and cannot find it.

I'm a Spectrum / Time Warner customer with a RAC2V1K router and cannot pass the connection test in Fantasy Grounds. I've been using the Port Forward Guide (https://portforward.com/spectrum/rac2v1k/) as a reference but it calls for certain fields to be left blank that cannot be left blank with I'm in the Admin settings on the router, specifically Local Port. Here are the step-by-step instructions:

Ignore the two dropdowns labeled Well Known Server List and Well Known Game List.

Put a name for this forward in the Services box so that you can remember why you set this forward up. The name does not matter so pick something that has meaning to you.

Choose your external IP address from the Public IP dropdown box.

You can enter either a single number or a range of numbers in the Port Range box. If you are forwarding a single port number you can enter it into the Port Range box. To forward a range of ports you can enter the lowest number of that range into the Port Range box, followed by a hyphen, followed by the largest number. An example would look like this: 1000-2000.

Go ahead and enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to into the Local IP box. It is possible for this to be either the IP address of your computer or of any other device on your network that you want ports forwarded to.

Leave the box called Local Port blank.

In the Protocol dropdown box, select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding. Choose Both if your router has that option. Otherwise, select either TCP or UDP as needed. If you need to forward a port for both TCP and UDP and your router does not have the Both option, then you need to create two entries.

Make sure to click the Apply button at the bottom of the page to apply these changes, when you are completely finished.

Port Forwarding is very new to me and I may be missing some low hanging fruit but I haven't been able to figure out a way to get this to work.

Anyone going through the same thing, or have had the same experience? Any help, or direction, would be great.

Thanks!

Andraax
November 26th, 2018, 03:15
If it won't let you leave it blank, make it 1802 as well. Normally leaving it blank means that it forwards to the same port as the incoming packet, so 1802 is correct if you're forced to provide a port.

SpaceHobbit
November 26th, 2018, 03:23
I will give that a shot. I did forget to mention that there's a direction to choose your Public IP from the dropdown box in the directions but, in the admin settings, you are unable to do so and the box is grayed out with a red censor icon. Additionally, it asks for what IP address to forward the port to; I assume this is for Fantasy Grounds' IP? Feeling a bit lost as the directions aren't quite making sense.

SpaceHobbit
November 26th, 2018, 03:33
Forgive me, as what you mentioned, along with the IP address in the FG program and another newly discovered thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20561-Port-1802-Used-Help-Needed) just did the trick; I have a green success status! Thanks a bunch, Andraax! Especially from a newbie to Networking, haha.