PDA

View Full Version : Creating a new fantasy theme for MoreCore

Szabtom
November 25th, 2018, 10:12
Hi,

I have set out to create a generic fantasy theme for MoreCore to support a game that I plan to run.
I like the look of the 5e ruleset so I am going to use its graphical assets where possible.

Goals in order of priority:

1. Add a fantasy look to the desktop, sidebar, character sheet areas, by replacing images in the frames, sidebar, icons, buttons folders with images from the 5e ruleset
This is about 50% done and I am really satisfied with the result. I could finish and then stop there and be happy. But I got hungry for more. 😊

2. Add matching fonts from 5e if possible or find alternatives. At least, set the font color to white as the current black is difficult to read on the dark brown header from the 5e frame.

3. Adjust the position of frames and elements, so buttons, fields line up properly. Currently many parts hang off the window or overlap.

4. Create a character sheet for use with D&D 0e and OSR rules. I suspect this will require modding scripts in Lua which I am totally unfamiliar with.

I should note here that I have zero education or skills in IT or programming. I expect a couple of challenges along the way. :D We will see how far I can get.

Szabtom
November 25th, 2018, 10:13
So, on to questions.

I found this section in icons.xml but there are no such images in the radial folder. What does this section do?
<!-- Reset Icons -->
<icon name="resettemp" file="graphics/radial/icon_shuffle.png" />
<icon name="resetalltemp" file="graphics/radial/icon_shuffle.png" />

These images are OK but I have not used the ruleset yet, so I am wondering what “CT tracking” means.
<!-- Used for CT Tracking -->
<icon name="ct_turn" file="graphics/icons/button_turn.png" />
<icon name="ct_noturn" file="graphics/icons/button_noturn.png" />

Szabtom
November 25th, 2018, 10:14
Still working on icons.xml.

All "roll" buttons use the same image for pressed down state (button_blank_small.png), defined in graphics_icons.xml as "down". This is actually the very first entry in the "Rolls" section and confused me a lot, after having done the sidebars, where all buttons were in pairs. :)
I assume that this was done to save time - there are so many new buttons in MoreCore! I counted 113!

How can I add a separate "down" to some of these buttons, so that the program will see them and use them? I would like to do this for the buttons where CoreRPG or 5e have the image already. E.g. button action attack, heal, effect, modifier.
Is it just a matter of using the right syntax, such as appending "_down" to their name? And then adding new lines in the Rolls section to define the relevant graphical files?

e.g. <icon name="heal_down" file="graphics/icons/button_heal_down.png" />

damned
November 25th, 2018, 11:56
So, on to questions.

I found this section in icons.xml but there are no such images in the radial folder. What does this section do?
<!-- Reset Icons -->
<icon name="resettemp" file="graphics/radial/icon_shuffle.png" />
<icon name="resetalltemp" file="graphics/radial/icon_shuffle.png" />

These images are OK but I have not used the ruleset yet, so I am wondering what “CT tracking” means.
<!-- Used for CT Tracking -->
<icon name="ct_turn" file="graphics/icons/button_turn.png" />
<icon name="ct_noturn" file="graphics/icons/button_noturn.png" />

If the files dont exist in the current ruleset they may exist in the parent ruleset.
In the CT there is an icon to the left of the portrait showing whose turn it is.

damned
November 25th, 2018, 11:58
Still working on icons.xml.

All "roll" buttons use the same image for pressed down state (button_blank_small.png), defined in graphics_icons.xml as "down". This is actually the very first entry in the "Rolls" section and confused me a lot, after having done the sidebars, where all buttons were in pairs. :)
I assume that this was done to save time - there are so many new buttons in MoreCore! I counted 113!

How can I add a separate "down" to some of these buttons, so that the program will see them and use them? I would like to do this for the buttons where CoreRPG or 5e have the image already. E.g. button action attack, heal, effect, modifier.
Is it just a matter of using the right syntax, such as appending "_down" to their name? And then adding new lines in the Rolls section to define the relevant graphical files?

e.g. <icon name="heal_down" file="graphics/icons/button_heal_down.png" />

You will have to "name" each new icon but as well you would probably need to extend the rolls scripts.
At the moment I define their up state only individually - the down state is set universally.
I would probably just replace the down icon with one you prefer - the other way is a more complex task.
And the mouse covers most of the down state anyway!

Szabtom
November 25th, 2018, 12:32
If the files dont exist in the current ruleset they may exist in the parent ruleset.
Thanks! Don't know why I did not think of that, I already found a couple of things in the CoreRPG folders...

In the CT there is an icon to the left of the portrait showing whose turn it is.
Clear!
edit. Actually, not clear... In the CT there is a small empty circle, or there is the flag to the left of the portrait. I am not seeing the "noturn" graphics - where or when does it appear? It looks like an X cross across a circle.

Szabtom
November 25th, 2018, 12:35
You will have to "name" each new icon but as well you would probably need to extend the rolls scripts.
At the moment I define their up state only individually - the down state is set universally.
Yep, that is what I figured, good to see it confirmed.

I would probably just replace the down icon with one you prefer - the other way is a more complex task.
And the mouse covers most of the down state anyway!
Thanks. Done that - and yes it is barely visible anyway. Maybe one day I will have the time and the skill to do it. I am already building a "wishlist" for myself. :D

damned
November 25th, 2018, 12:54
Thanks! Don't know why I did not think of that, I already found a couple of things in the CoreRPG folders...

Clear!
edit. Actually, not clear... In the CT there is a small empty circle, or there is the flag to the left of the portrait. I am not seeing the "noturn" graphics - where or when does it appear? It looks like an X cross across a circle.

Ok - that is a feature for games that dont have initiative.
It is there for the GM to be able to tick off when someone has acted so that she can ensure that everyone gets a turn (sooner or later).

Szabtom
November 25th, 2018, 13:07
I am curious now... How does it work? Because if I click on the dot to the left of the portrait, the flag moves there. Right-click does not seem to bring up anything like that.
Is this a functionality that is effectively hidden in MC out of the box? But someone could use it if he changes the code in MC?
Because even when I turn off Initiative in the Options the flag still gets placed. I restarted the campaign which removes the Order column from the CT but the flag behaves the same.

I will use a simple initiative system (roll d6, higher gets the first turn (for the full side, PC vs Monsters), then alternate), and this would actually be useful for me Can work with the numbered Order, too, of course, but it would be a little fiddly.

damned
November 25th, 2018, 13:18
Options - Manual Initiative - GM Only
then reload

There are a lot of initiative options in MoreCore.

Szabtom
November 25th, 2018, 14:30
Got it. Thank you.