PDA

View Full Version : What's next?

Alkenix
November 23rd, 2018, 08:18
Hello Folks.

I actually own the PHB and Monster Manual for FG as an DM. Now I want to extend my feeling with a good worth the price dlc..
Any ideas?

Atua
November 23rd, 2018, 09:06
My purchase suggestion for you would be Xanathars Guide to Everything, if this is for 5e.

Zacchaeus
November 23rd, 2018, 09:42
Dungeon Master's Guide would be my first purchase after the PHB. After that it depends on whether you play published adventures or make your own. Sword Coast Adventure Guide, Volo's Guide, Mordenkainen's and Xanathar's all add different things to your game; extra monsters, new rules, many more character creation options.

Alkenix
November 23rd, 2018, 10:04
Well Im a fan of playing my own adventures.
So you recommend the dungeon masters guide..
Well last time I bought it was for pathfinder (hardcover) and it was a hard waste of money. :/ most of the things into told me how to use my fantasy..and that's not worth >5€.

Targas
November 23rd, 2018, 10:37
I guess Zach wanted to help you with the DMG. Certainly you had a look at it and already know it contains automatic loot tables for encounter treasures and hoards, as well as an magic item generator? I would purchase it for this alone. Maybe you have tried to do the same for Pathfinder, as I did using Pathfinder Ultimate Equipment ?

Alkenix
November 23rd, 2018, 10:47
Well I played PF only offline.
So you recommend the DMG cuz it supports DM a lot, especially with tables and new items?

Ok. Thanks. I will make my decision in the evening.

Zacchaeus
November 23rd, 2018, 14:11
THE DMG is the main source of Magic items, gives you some alternative rules, how to modify or add monsters, races and other aspects of the game. The FG version also as noted contains many rollable treasure tables which can be used as is or called from your own tables to generate treasure parcels. It also has a large number of Story templates which can be used to generate whole adventures, side quests, dungeons, quests and more. I'd suggest for the homebrewed campaign it is an invaluable resource. However YMMV depending on how 'off-piste' you go with homebrewed content.

simpultin
November 23rd, 2018, 15:40
Well last time I bought it was for pathfinder (hardcover) and it was a hard waste of money.

One thing to consider is that for PF, the magic items were in the PHB. For 5e they are in the DMG. For me, looking up magic items is >75% of what I use the DMG for. Other than that, I use the challenge system and a few of the other bits on occasion.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Trenloe
November 23rd, 2018, 16:24
Well Im a fan of playing my own adventures.
So you recommend the dungeon masters guide..
Well last time I bought it was for pathfinder (hardcover) and it was a hard waste of money. :/ most of the things into told me how to use my fantasy..and that's not worth >5€.
I’m guessing this was the GameMastery Guide https://paizo.com/products/btpy8ffn?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-GameMastery-Guide which is quite different to the D&D DMG. For Pathfinder the Core Rules essentially contained what the D&D PHB and DMG contained. If you’re running your own adventures the D&D 5E DMG will be a good purchase. But, read the product description and see if that is something that will be of value to you. The DMG store page also has a video: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC5EDMG

Alkenix
November 23rd, 2018, 17:53
Thank you everyone for you suggestions.
I guess I really go with the DMG.