PDA

View Full Version : Tokens

Arcanun
November 22nd, 2018, 18:25
So... i really hate the tokens FG uses by default... those circular flat tokens which usualy are a piece of the image on the monster manual...
That explained... i will use this black friday to try and fix this problem buying the devin token bundles... those are amazing tokens, exactly the way i like it... top down and some sort of "3D' on them...
i have 2 questions:
1 - What is the easiest way to change my tokens, from the defaults to the ones i bought? Bcuz with all the devin bundles there is token for pretty much every creature...
2 - When i change the tokens, are the tokens already scaled? Or you have to manually scale every token?

Thanks in advance!

Zacchaeus
November 22nd, 2018, 19:16
First off you can't change the tokens in the Monster Manual permanently. You can only change the token of an NPC or an encounter full of NPCs in a campaign. If you wanted to change a token on an NPC from the MM you'll first need to make a copy of the NPC by drag/dropping it back into the NPC list. You'll then be able to edit it.

That said the way to do it is to unlock the NPC by clicking on the unlock button on the top right of the NPC sheet and then drag/drop your new token onto the existing one. You can also change the token in an encounter by again unlocking the encounter and then dragging the new token onto the token on the far left of the encounter next to the NPC name. You should be able to edit any NPCs in any of the adventure modules since they are not locked by default.

You don't need to worry about token scale at all as long as you have a grid on your map. The actual size of the token doesn't matter for scaling when you have a grid - it is the size of the NPC which counts. Medium and smaller creatures will take up one square a large one 4 squares etc.

Arcanun
November 26th, 2018, 15:59
I thought i had answered this xD seems my internet failed me or somethig xD

Well thanks for the answer Zacchaeus, you saved me a lot of money
I tought once you changed the token it needed to be done only 1 time

GavinRuneblade
November 27th, 2018, 06:24
I thought i had answered this xD seems my internet failed me or somethig xD

Well thanks for the answer Zacchaeus, you saved me a lot of money
I tought once you changed the token it needed to be done only 1 time

What I do for my game, is that I create an NPC group with a relevant name (and beginning with 00 so it is at the top of the NPC list and I don't need to go searching for it). I drag the NPCs that I plan to use into the group from the MM or other books. Then I tweak the tokens, un-identified names, and any stats that I feel need tweaking. Then I can unload the MM and the other books so they aren't cluttering my stories, NPCs, and other menus.

Arcanun
November 27th, 2018, 11:38
What I do for my game, is that I create an NPC group with a relevant name (and beginning with 00 so it is at the top of the NPC list and I don't need to go searching for it). I drag the NPCs that I plan to use into the group from the MM or other books. Then I tweak the tokens, un-identified names, and any stats that I feel need tweaking. Then I can unload the MM and the other books so they aren't cluttering my stories, NPCs, and other menus.

This is a very good practice, but would take me even more time to prepare e.e

GavinRuneblade
November 28th, 2018, 05:22
This is a very good practice, but would take me even more time to prepare e.e
It depends on how fast you are and how many you are doing at once, I only need a few minutes for a session.

Arcanun
November 29th, 2018, 13:23
It depends on how fast you are and how many you are doing at once, I only need a few minutes for a session.

I can already say that you are faster than me :v

Any chance you know if i can have access to the images of the tokens i bought? Would be cool

Zacchaeus
November 30th, 2018, 09:48
I can already say that you are faster than me :v

Any chance you know if i can have access to the images of the tokens i bought? Would be cool

This will depend on where you bought them. If purchased via the Smiteworks store they are likely to be encrypted but from elsewhere possibly not. If you can access the modules they'll be in your modules folder in FGData.

Arcanun
November 30th, 2018, 10:21
This will depend on where you bought them. If purchased via the Smiteworks store they are likely to be encrypted but from elsewhere possibly not. If you can access the modules they'll be in your modules folder in FGData.

Yea i got them via steam, and the mod is the devin mod pack... its probably encrypted then?

Zacchaeus
November 30th, 2018, 12:37
Yea i got them via steam, and the mod is the devin mod pack... its probably encrypted then?

I don't know. As I say if you can find them in your modules folder in FGData then they are not encrypted; if the modules are in the vault folder in FGData then they are encrypted.

DadGamer2175
May 11th, 2020, 22:36
Hi. Does anyone know how to add a base to a token? So it looks like a true miniature on the table. I have scoured YouTube and can't find anything except how to add tokens to Fantasy Grounds. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am sure it is done in an art program but not quite sure how to do it. If anyone has seen a video they could share that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Zacchaeus
May 11th, 2020, 22:50
You would need to do that in a graphics package such as Photoshop. It would require you to actually paint the token I think.

LordEntrails
May 12th, 2020, 00:10
Like just a color ring? I believe both TokenTool and TokenStamp do that. If not, any example you can show us?

DadGamer2175
May 12th, 2020, 00:22
Any of the Digital Dungeon Master YouTube videos with Fantasy grounds has them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFb11nojl24&list=PLJGKJMlzabIm1vHqzq-axNlkbYuQyq8Bw&index=20 - Minute 19:50 all of his tokens have a base. Just curious. I will try one of those programs and see if it is possible. Thanks for the response.

LordEntrails
May 12th, 2020, 00:46
Ah, at about 21:00 of that video Dave says he added the grey base himself. So he's done that in Gimp or anther graphics program.

DadGamer2175
May 12th, 2020, 00:51
Ok. I will try that. Thanks for the help

Neovirtus
May 12th, 2020, 15:28
As LordEntrails mentioned, I think the Token Stamp tool (https://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/) will be the easiest way for you to do this quickly and easily. If you have a token that is just a top down view with a transparent background, you just drag it into the website, choose the color your want for the background, select the shape of the base, and you're done.

DadGamer2175
May 12th, 2020, 17:06
Sweet. That worked. Got it now. Thanks so much. I appreciate it. Now I just need to add a base to 1600 tokens. Yeah.

LordEntrails
May 12th, 2020, 18:41
Sweet. That worked. Got it now. Thanks so much. I appreciate it. Now I just need to add a base to 1600 tokens. Yeah.
Gimp has batch processing. But I don't know how to do it :( Might be worth learning it.

DadGamer2175
May 12th, 2020, 18:58
Yeah I used token stamp 2. Created my base that I wanted and then I started batch mode. Drug the images I wanted to do and hit start batch. It puts all of them into a zip file and then I transfer over and done. Really easy. I appreciate everyone's help on this. 35254