PDA

View Full Version : What about sound?

mossfoot
July 22nd, 2006, 15:55
I was wondering if anyone else was interested in a sound feature?

First of all there is the obvious. Some of us would no doubt like to hear the dice rolling when we roll them (ours at least if not the others).

But more importantly, I think for a GM sound could be a very handy tool. Why just send images to the players when they can send sound files as well (swords clanging, horses riding, blasters firing, explosions, music clips to help set the mood, etc...)

How hard would it be to add this?

Snikle
July 22nd, 2006, 16:36
This is a frequently requested feature, so I am pretty sure at some point the devs will add this feature. Many other VTas are using this, so eventually we will see it as well I am sure.

richvalle
July 23rd, 2006, 01:42
The devs tried to add dice rolling sound at the beginning but they had a hard time synching up the sound with the dice movment so pulled it out.

There has been debates about adding the ability to play sound effects to FG. Someone said that Ventrillo has this ability so you could try that.

rv

mossfoot
July 25th, 2006, 16:18
you lost me there. Ventrillo?

LordTomar
July 25th, 2006, 17:28
you lost me there. Ventrillo?

Ventrillo is one of the voice chat programs out there.

dLANbandit
July 25th, 2006, 20:22
https://www.ventrilo.com/

You have a server and clients.
The clients can configure "sounds" (like mp3 & wavs) to hot keys.

It also has other features that are more robust than your average group talk programs.

Azrael Nightstar
July 26th, 2006, 02:47
If I remember correctly Ventrilo is pay-to-use though, right? Anyone know of a good way of accomplishing this that doesn't require... um... money? :D Of course, I could be remembering wrong too.

I too hope we see this feature soon, even if it starts as something really simple. I could deal with sending my players the files manually and telling them to leave winamp running so I could "call" them (the way clicking "open" in a browser does).

dLANbandit
July 26th, 2006, 14:18
Actually Ventrilo or 'Vent' as most users call it, is free for up to 8 people in a server. Over that you need a license to run a server. I use https://www.darkstarllc.com/ who allow many many tiers of service. From 10 users for $3/month to 100 users at $30/month.

Griogre
July 27th, 2006, 06:20
If I remember correctly Ventrilo is pay-to-use though, right? Anyone know of a good way of accomplishing this that doesn't require... um... money? :D Of course, I could be remembering wrong too.
Teamspeak is free also.

Azrael Nightstar
July 27th, 2006, 08:00
Aha, my only previous experience with Ventrilo was in WoW, probably didn't hear much about the self-hosting option because there's not a whole lot of call for 8-client setups there. I snagged the server version and will see about getting it set up.

Does Teamspeak have a sound-send feature? Limited experience with that as well, sorry for the Qs. We've been using Skype, but no sound-send capability there, and it's quite the bandwidth hog. Then again, we're really not using it as it was intended, makes an excellent phone :D

Mainframemouse
July 27th, 2006, 09:37
I looks at teamspeak lastnight and I can't see a sound send function ;-(

dLANbandit
July 27th, 2006, 14:15
I looks at teamspeak lastnight and I can't see a sound send function ;-(

You weren't 'listening', we said Ventrilo had sound functions not teamspeak.

fastdos
July 27th, 2006, 19:55
there is a robust chat feature in Yahoo that I've used. Works for me.

Mainframemouse
July 28th, 2006, 08:42
You weren't 'listening', we said Ventrilo had sound functions not teamspeak.
I was replying to Azrael Nightstar

Azrael Nightstar
July 29th, 2006, 06:37
I was replying to Azrael Nightstar

I thought you might be when I read that :) Thanks for sharing your finding, I wasn't really looking for it when I used teamspeak a while back, so I didn't know if maybe it was there and I just didn't notice it.

Still haven't gotten around to setting up a Ventrilo server, I'll let you guys know how that goes when I do. I suppose I should get to steppin on it; game night's tomorrow.

Mainframemouse
July 31st, 2006, 15:25
A year ago I Looked for an online table top system. Other then the clunky open RPG, there was nothing.
Now there is Fantasy Ground, and all is good.

The other thing I looked for was a cheap useable voice changing software, and all there was was expensive tosh. But now I've found MorphVOX

https://www.screamingbee.com/product/products.aspx

I'm going to have a play with this tonight, but it looks very good.