PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Organisation - DOE Locations Extension and Modules

Silversteel
November 22nd, 2018, 04:47
Hi,

I'm getting my head around how to manage information in a new campaign, and every thread I've seen on the subject suggests creating a main campaign, and then doing adventures in a separate campaign as modules which are then loaded into the main campaign because of the volume of information.

My problem is understanding how this would work with Dulux Oz's fantastic Locations and Organisation extensions, which appear to allow you to enter an entire galaxy! Or at least the whole world.

I was originally thinking of dividing up the campaign as much as possible by countries, and entering everything into the various locations in the Location extension. However, if I put each country into a separate module, and close the ones which are not needed, what happens to the Location extension? Does it only work off open modules, but remember relationships if I re-open closed modules? What I mean by that is, if I have NPCs or organisations which have links to several countries, but only have one of those countries open, what happens to those links?

Even more awkwardly, I prepare on one computer and game on another. So if I can have a whole campaign world organised through Locations and Organisations, then all I have to do is copy my prep campaign to my gaming computer, and then copy it back to my prep computer after the game. But if I have to have each country as a separate module, then I have to remember the changes and go back to my prep computer to change the module. And I still have to copy over the campaign module from the game computer to the prep computer.

So I guess I'm trying to work out how much information is too much to have in an FG campaign.

To really complicate things, I run several campaigns and so would have to repeat the process for each.

Any advice?

Silversteel

dulux-oz
November 22nd, 2018, 05:09
The DOEs will allow you to export information to a Module just like other FG Records will. Any links to info in non-open Modules will display the standard "Can't open info" Dialogue Box.

In short, treat DOE Records just like you would Story Entries or any other type of FG Record - place what you want in Modules, open and close the ones you want when you want them, & if you try to link to a closed Module the system will tell you in which case you open the required module and try the link again.

If this helps think about things like this: any info in a Module is like info in a Source book. You can have references from one Source book to another, and you just open up the 2nd Source book when you need that info. Forgotten Realms has its Location info over several Source books, with the Dales, Waterdeep, the North, etc grouped as required - but there are references in each one to the others. You can duplicate this arrangement (if you like) using the DOEs - or even plain Story Entries.

Does that make sense?

Silversteel
November 22nd, 2018, 06:34
Thank you yes, that helps me understand it.

Unfortunately it still leaves me with the synchronisation problem between the 2 computers if I create things on the fly while DMing. If I don't have to save everything as modules to save space then there isn't a problem, I can just copy the campaign from the gaming computer to the prep computer when I finish. But if I have to put everything into modules, and those modules are created on my prep computer, then I can't really create things on the fly - I have to go back to the prep computer to add things to the module, don't I?

I suppose the question comes down to - how much info is too much to have in a campaign without putting everything into modules which can be closed? I'm so impressed by the Locations and Organisation extensions I just want to put the whole campaign in there and not bother with modules.

Silversteel

Valyar
November 22nd, 2018, 06:54
Use Reall Works :)
Solves all your problems.

Silversteel
November 22nd, 2018, 06:57
OK, I'll look into it right now, thank you

Silversteel

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2018, 07:11
I’m not convinced an external campaign management application will help your game in FG, unless that’s what you’re looking for.

@Silversteel - the main reason for the module suggestion is to keep data compartmentalized and to allow data to be turned off when not used - to reduce FG memory use and improve running speed and data handling efficiency. If you want to keep all data in your main gaming campaign then you can, but remember to unshare "stuff" shared with players when no longer needed by them. You will probably experience some slow down if you have a massive amount of data, but that might be acceptable to you in order to have all of your data available, and editable, during the game.

damned
November 22nd, 2018, 07:56
In the case of a living breathing campaign that you are continuing to add to the world - you can and probably should just do it in the live campaign.
The prep campaigns is for developing more static content.

Silversteel
November 22nd, 2018, 08:13
Thank you Valyar, I've looked at Realm Works and it looks great, but my main campaign is over 30 years old and I really don't want to re-enter everything. I just want to make FG work for me.

Thank you Trenloe, I think you've given me my answer - I'll suck it and see if any slow down occurs. One question though - how do I unshare stuff?

Silversteel

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2018, 08:58
One question though - how do I unshare stuff?
See the third paragraph here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Campaign_Data#Campaign_Data_List

Silversteel
November 22nd, 2018, 11:29
Thank you Damned - I think our posts crossed earlier. And thank you Trenloe, I had forgotten that bit on unsharing. That's excellent.

Right - off to convert 30+ years to FG :D

Silversteel

Ampersandrew
November 22nd, 2018, 12:56
Right - off to convert 30+ years to FG :D

Good luck!