PDA

View Full Version : Steam Pricing in Australian Dollars

Teknykk
November 21st, 2018, 22:28
So Valve finally pushed through the long-awaited and enforced currency change to Steam products for us Aussies. However, the prices require manual input from the developers to match what we would pay. At this current stage, practically 90% of Fantasy Grounds content is now unable to be bought until this is done. Can anyone give us an idea as to how long it's going to take for Smiteworks to sort this out? Last I heard, you should have been given weeks or possibly months of notice about this and it hasn't been done. I prefer to use the Steam version and buy from it myself, and I imagine plenty of other people do too, but none of the items would have liked to buy in coming sales can be bought.

LordEntrails
November 21st, 2018, 22:58
Though SW is good about monitoring the forums, this type of question is probably best asked directly to SmiteWorks. I suggest you email them directly [email protected]

Moon Wizard
November 21st, 2018, 23:56
Thanks for letting us know. I also asked Doug about it, and he submitted a request to Valve yesterday. We have not heard back from them yet. So, at this point, we're waiting on Valve to respond to figure this out.

Regards,
JPG

ddavison
November 22nd, 2018, 00:03
Someone reported this to our support channel yesterday. We didn't see any notice in Steam that we would be required to do pricing updates for the new currency like we have for other currency changes in the past. We've reached out to Valve to see what we can do to address it. If we have to manually update them for each of the DLC, that might take a while to work through, so I'm hoping that they will have a batch update they can run for us. With Thanksgiving being tomorrow, most of the U.S. will not be at work and Friday may have a reduced workforce at Valve. I'll post here when I receive an update.

damned
November 22nd, 2018, 01:12
Hey Doug - just match the amounts dollar for dollar - keep it simple :)

Zacchaeus
November 22nd, 2018, 01:19

I’m fairly sure he’s not going to fall for that one. But nice try ��

lostsanityreturned
November 22nd, 2018, 15:49

Nah, do what most companies do. Charge us 30% more :)

ddavison
November 22nd, 2018, 16:11
Nah, do what most companies do. Charge us 30% more :)

We love our Aussies.

dulux-oz
November 23rd, 2018, 02:56
We love our Aussies.

Of course you do - we're so lovable - and who doesn't love us (apart from the Kiwis, maybe) :p

ddavison
November 23rd, 2018, 03:25
I *may* have fixed the majority of the prices. Please let me know if you see them available for sale now.

Teknykk
November 23rd, 2018, 03:35
I don't at the moment. Well, I have been able to see them even since the change, just with no prices attached. Now there's prices "attached" but they're blank or invisible, and when added to my cart, appear as A$0.00. You have no idea how tempting it is to just add some to my cart and hit buy to see if I get it for free. :p

ddavison
November 23rd, 2018, 05:22
I tried to republish the main program and flush the cache. Sometimes that seems to be a necessary step anytime you make a change to DLC.

damned
November 23rd, 2018, 07:02
Totally not working for me.
I see 22 items only...

Teknykk
November 23rd, 2018, 07:52
Yeah I can only see 22 items on the main store page for it. In the developer page on Steam, or in the DLC page itself, I can see everything else... just with blank prices attached. Though, the DLC list is getting far too long now, and that page just ceases loading after a certain point. They really should find a new way to list stuff on the DLC page, because there's obviously a limit to how much will actually display.

jbartels
November 23rd, 2018, 11:31
I've just checked the main program on steam and it will only let me download a demo with no option to purchase a licence.

damned
November 23rd, 2018, 11:58
I've just checked the main program on steam and it will only let me download a demo with no option to purchase a licence.

gday jbartels

are you in AUS? if so there is an issue with the new AUD pricing meaning about 97% of the fantasy grounds products cant be bought by Australians right now on Steam...

Nylanfs
November 23rd, 2018, 12:20
That's probably because Australia doesn't exist. (https://www.buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-conspiracy-theory)

dulux-oz
November 23rd, 2018, 12:32
That's probably because Australia doesn't exist. (https://www.buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-conspiracy-theory)

Quite, we don't want them all on to us!

LordEntrails
November 23rd, 2018, 17:44
Quite, we don't want them all on to us!
Sorry, you are just a computer generated personality designed to fool us.

Teknykk
November 24th, 2018, 00:27
I can now see the DLC in A$, of which there is 1133 of it. If this is the correct number of DLC on Steam to the current day for the program, then it's all updated and back to normal. The prices appear to be a fairly accurate conversion from USD to AUD, albeit a dollar higher in most cases, which in itself would be covered in an exchange fee anyway.

ddavison
November 24th, 2018, 00:43
Awesome. Thanks for the update. It may have just taken a while to clear the cache.

damned
November 24th, 2018, 00:58
I can now see the DLC in A$, of which there is 1133 of it. If this is the correct number of DLC on Steam to the current day for the program, then it's all updated and back to normal. The prices appear to be a fairly accurate conversion from USD to AUD, albeit a dollar higher in most cases, which in itself would be covered in an exchange fee anyway.

So buying in AUD is more expensive?

JohnD
November 24th, 2018, 01:04

#winning

Teknykk
November 25th, 2018, 01:20
If you ignore the currency conversion fee you would normally get stung with in USD, yeah. The prices seem to be up to about a $1 more than what would pay if I converted their USD prices to AUD, but that doesn't account for the fee you pay after the fact, which can often be up to a $1, or more, depending on how much you pay. So in some cases, yeah I would say we're paying more, but in others, possibly a fraction less. It's too hard to tell with all the varying prices, exchange rates, and the fees they have.

Mistamichal
December 3rd, 2018, 20:01
I'm with NAB (that's a bank for all you non Aussies) and their currency conversion fees are highway robbery - in most cases $3+ dollars. So, it definitely works out a little bit cheaper for me now that we can pay in AUD.