PDA

View Full Version : Ref-manual keywords fields huh?

celestian
November 21st, 2018, 06:30
Below is a snippet I have in a ref-manual with a keyword field and I noticed when I did a search for "healing" it was not coming up in the ref-manual search field. Is there something wrong with this? Copy/pasting the string itself doesn't cause it to show up either.

I do get some hits for other things but several aren't after investigation. Trying to figure out why so I can correct it.

<chapters>
<id-00007>
<name type="string"> Chapter 5: Proficiencies (Optional)</name>
<subchapters>
<id-00005>
<name type="string"> Nonweapon Proficiency Descriptions</name>
<refpages>
<id-00030>
<blocks>
<id-00001>
<align type="string">center</align>
<blocktype type="string">singletext</blocktype>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p><b>Healing: </b>A character proficient in healing knows how to use natural medicines and basic principles of first aid and doctoring. If the character tends another within one round of wounding (and makes a successful proficiency check), his ministrations restore 1d3 hit points (but no more hit points can be restored than were lost in the previous round). Only one healing attempt can be made on a character per day.</p>
<p>If a wounded character remains under the care of someone with healing proficiency, that character can recover lost hit points at the rate of 1 per day even when traveling or engaging in nonstrenuous activity. If the wounded character gets complete rest, he can recover 2 hit points per day while under such care. Only characters with both healing and herbalism proficiencies can help others recover at the rate of 3 hit points per day of rest. This care does not require a proficiency check, only the regular attention of the proficient character. Up to six patients can be cared for at any time.</p>
<p>A character with healing proficiency can also attempt to aid a poisoned individual, provided the poison entered through a wound. If the poisoned character can be tended to immediately (the round after the character is poisoned) and the care continues for the next five rounds, the victim gains a +2 bonus to his saving throw (delay his saving throw until the last round of tending). No proficiency check is required, but the poisoned character must be tended to immediately (normally by sacrificing any other action by the proficient character) and cannot do anything himself. If the care and rest are interrupted, the poisoned character must immediately roll a normal saving throw for the poison. This result is unalterable by normal means (i.e., more healing doesn't help). Only characters with both healing and herbalism proficiencies can attempt the same treatment for poisons the victim has swallowed or touched (the character uses his healing to diagnose the poison and his herbalist knowledge to prepare a purgative).</p>
<p>A character with healing proficiency can also attempt to diagnose and treat diseases. When dealing with normal diseases, a successful proficiency check automatically reduces the disease to its mildest form and shortest duration. Those who also have herbalism knowledge gain an additional +2 bonus to this check. A proficient character can also attempt to deal with magical diseases, whether caused by spells or creatures. In this case, a successful proficiency check diagnoses the cause of the disease. However, since the disease is magical in nature, it can be treated only by magical means.</p>
</text>
</id-00001>
</blocks>
<keywords type="string">healing nonweapon proficiency</keywords>
<listlink type="windowreference">
<class>reference_manualtextwide</class>
<recordname>..</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string"> Healing-- Nonweapon Proficiency</name>
</id-00030>
</refpages>
</id-00005>
</subchapters>
</id-00007>
...etc...

Moon Wizard
November 21st, 2018, 07:22
I haven't looked at the keyword search on reference manual at all. It was originally provided by Zeus to us, when he was still around. I'd have to investigate to see what's going on.

Regards,
JPG

celestian
November 21st, 2018, 07:31
I haven't looked at the keyword search on reference manual at all. It was originally provided by Zeus to us, when he was still around. I'd have to investigate to see what's going on.

Regards,
JPG

Okay, I was hoping it was just something I was doing incorrectly. I'll poke around and see what I come up with.

Talyn
November 21st, 2018, 13:42
Did you 'expand' the reference manual with the master +/- button before searching? Keywords do not get placed in memory until you expand a subchapter or just expand the entire reference manual.

celestian
November 21st, 2018, 18:53
Okay, I was hoping it was just something I was doing incorrectly. I'll poke around and see what I come up with.

So far I've found one odd thing. I noticed my chapter/subchapter names had a leading space ... so I wrote code to clean that up (Author created this ref-manual) and once I did that the searches began to work. Why this would effect the search I've no idea since the keywords did not have extra spaces. I've not had an opportunity to figure out WHY it works and why it doesn't with leading spaces due to holiday events but... that seems odd none-the-less.

Did you 'expand' the reference manual with the master +/- button before searching? Keywords do not get placed in memory until you expand a subchapter or just expand the entire reference manual.

I'm not entirely sure that's true. I've never expanded the ref-manual before doing searches and they've worked just fine.

Talyn
November 22nd, 2018, 01:09
I'm not entirely sure that's true. I've never expanded the ref-manual before doing searches and they've worked just fine.

Unless MW has tweaked the code (and his comment above makes me think he has not) this has always been the case. If you load FG, open a reference manual window but don't click anything whatsoever, no search keywords work. That's why the general consensus is to open the reference manual, click the +/- buttons then start using the reference manual.

celestian
November 22nd, 2018, 01:26

Unless MW has tweaked the code (and his comment above makes me think he has not) this has always been the case. If you load FG, open a reference manual window but don't click anything whatsoever, no search keywords work. That's why the general consensus is to open the reference manual, click the +/- buttons then start using the reference manual.

Pretty sure that's no longer the case unless I just don't understand what you're saying cause...

https://i.imgur.com/amKqVMR.gifv

I just clicked the ref-manual link and typed in the search and it works.

https://i.imgur.com/amKqVMR.gifv

Talyn
November 22nd, 2018, 01:39
Pretty sure that's no longer the case [snip]

I hope you're right, that was a major fault for those using the search. I'll check it when I get home from work this weekend.