PDA

View Full Version : CoreRPG+ Extension: Has Initiative Indicator

celestian
November 19th, 2018, 04:18
If you're having issues with extension please read this post first on making sure you have correct extension installed (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72434-Advanced-Effects-Alternative&p=638439&viewfull=1#post638439).

This extension will work with any CoreRPG based ruleset (Except AD&D Core since it's included). Requires CoreRPG 3.3.12+ to function.

What does it do? This extension, when enabled, will show a Crown above whatever token currently has initiative.

Why? Well, the tiny white ring is way to subtle for me to notice at times and right now there is no way in the API to tweak that (make it bigger or a different color) as far as I know. This has something to do with scaling and token/image sizes but... either way, this was my way to resolve it for my own use.

Enable the extension:
https://i.imgur.com/T9PdXxZ.png

Cycle through initiative in the CT and you'll see this. As you can tell the white ring is really narrow on this token.
https://i.imgur.com/wumAerC.png

Here is another view, this one you can see the bigger ring.
https://i.imgur.com/KwVLvFo.png

Use the Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/166/view) to get this extension.

Bidmaron
November 19th, 2018, 19:00
It won't let me give you more reputation right now, Celestian, but thanks again!

Oberoten
November 20th, 2018, 01:02
May I tweak this for personal use?

- Obe

celestian
November 20th, 2018, 05:35
May I tweak this for personal use?

- Obe

Absolutely, whats the tweak? Maybe I'll like it ;)

Oberoten
November 20th, 2018, 07:14
Absolutely, whats the tweak? Maybe I'll like it ;)

I were thinking to play about with the indicator to maybe be individual.

-Obe

celestian
November 20th, 2018, 07:37
I were thinking to play about with the indicator to maybe be individual.

-Obe

Individual?

During the development I tried out a few different icons to use and was going to use a crosshair style (centered in the token) but damned suggested the crown and with a little alignment tweak it turned out pretty good. My only issue with the current one is if the tokens are stacked the crown can be hidden if one token is above the one with initiative.

I'm going to try a few others to see if one works and looks good.

Oberoten
November 20th, 2018, 16:47
I like the crown.... But I am gearing up for Warhammer 4th. :) It needs something less hopeful. Possibly plague-rats. ;)

- Obe

Dax Doomslayer
November 21st, 2018, 19:45
Halleluiah!! The white ring drove me bananas trying to see it on certain maps. Thanks for this celestian!!

Valyar
November 22nd, 2018, 22:35
Sweet!

Szabtom
November 24th, 2018, 09:32
Good stuff, thanks!

hawkwind
November 24th, 2018, 10:44
Nice work though it only works on round tokens not square

Szabtom
November 24th, 2018, 10:56
I confirm. Is it possible to get it working with square tokens?

edit. This is mostly a problem for Player Characters, as their portraits are square.

celestian
November 24th, 2018, 20:12
Nice work though it only works on round tokens not square

I'm not seeing a problem with square tokens.

https://i.imgur.com/mWt4UOL.png

What ruleset are you using?

Szabtom
November 24th, 2018, 20:44
First I tried in CoreRPG, that is where I noticed the square problem.
Now I tried the 5e sample campaign and it seems to work fine there.
To replicate the issue I booted the CoreRPG campaign again - and it works now!
I am messing around with extensions now so I may have been careless and left something activated. Not sure...

hawkwind
November 24th, 2018, 21:21
I'm using 5e, the crowns are appearing on some but not all tokens, squares was the obvious common factor the only other I can think of is the players are using portraits as tokens. I will do some screen shots when I'm on my PC

damned
November 25th, 2018, 00:06
try setting token scaling to 80% as celestian has in his examples.

celestian
November 25th, 2018, 01:47
try setting token scaling to 80% as celestian has in his examples.

Good point! If you have scaling at a weird setting that could be the problem. Zoom in and if you see a tiny crown that's the issue.

This is a widget placed on a token similarly to the RIP token and I've seen the same behavior there before when I had a map with a really odd scale setting.

Zacchaeus
November 25th, 2018, 02:50
100% is not a weird setting ��

celestian
November 25th, 2018, 06:54
100% is not a weird setting ��

I wasn't saying 100% is a weird setting. I've tested in 100%, 80% and off and they all worked for square and circle.

I have had some odd scale settings (manually fiddling with token scale) that has caused the widgets to be so small you think they aren't there until you zoom in really close.

hawkwind
November 25th, 2018, 07:24
i did have 100% scaling but changing it to 80% didn't make a difference. The attached screen shoot shows which tokens its working with and which don't

Teh tokens images that don't work are all supplied by my players and are the same images that they used as portraits, could it be a .png token image issue not playing with .jpg crown?

hawkwind
November 25th, 2018, 07:36
just tried a new character with a png portrait as a token and it worked so its not that

pindercarl
November 25th, 2018, 07:41
If I had to guess, check the size of the source images for the tokens. The portrait tokens are likely much smaller than the other tokens. Maybe. It's late, but I think that's the direction to investigate.

celestian
November 25th, 2018, 07:58
Teh tokens images that don't work are all supplied by my players and are the same images that they used as portraits, could it be a .png token image issue not playing with .jpg crown?

The crown is a .png for what it's worth tho I don't think that has anything to do with it.

just tried a new character with a png portrait as a token and it worked so its not that

Is the "new character" using the same token that wasn't working elsewhere? Have you tried placing the non-working token on different map and testing there?

Also, disable all extensions before you try this. It shouldn't be a problem if it's working on some and not others but safe to rule it out.

Per Carl's suggestion I tested a larger (500x500) and a smaller (63x63) portrait and both worked for me.

LordNova2
November 25th, 2018, 23:27
The gold colored crown seemed to blend in to the background too much for my eyes. So I adjusted the HUE a bit and added a black outline which helped to make it pop out allot better from the map.
This should be all good until the players go into a river of blood. LOL

celestian
November 26th, 2018, 00:17
The gold colored crown seemed to blend in to the background too much for my eyes. So I adjusted the HUE a bit and added a black outline which helped to make it pop out allot better from the map.
This should be all good until the players go into a river of blood. LOL

This was one reason I was leaning towards the crosshairs version. I could have a dark color on the horizontal lines and a light color on the vertical. That "should" eliminate the blending issues. That said, the crown just looks so much better tho ;) Maybe a multi-colored jester hat would work out better.

hawkwind
November 26th, 2018, 07:11
The crown is a .png for what it's worth tho I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Is the "new character" using the same token that wasn't working elsewhere? Have you tried placing the non-working token on different map and testing there?

Also, disable all extensions before you try this. It shouldn't be a problem if it's working on some and not others but safe to rule it out.

Per Carl's suggestion I tested a larger (500x500) and a smaller (63x63) portrait and both worked for me.

I havent tried a different map and no its a different token. I dont have access to the source file directly as its added to the character sheets by the player on their PC. I will get one one of the players to send me a original file to add on my machine to see if that sorts the problem

Trenloe
November 26th, 2018, 11:04
I dont have access to the source file directly as its added to the character sheets by the player on their PC.
FG auto generates a token file from the PC portrait. It is stored in the GM's campaign portraits directory - the filename is the PC node ID from the FG database with no extension. Copy the file and add a .png filename and you'll have the token file being used by FG.

Teotimus
November 27th, 2018, 18:31
Sorry for the dumb question, but... is this supposed to work with Savage Worlds? I have tried with 5E without problem, but when trying it in any SW campaign, it doesn't work (neither does in CoC, I think). I tried with simple letter tokens, to no avail. No other extension was loaded, just the ruleset, and tokens are at 80%. No crown appears, just the standard white ring (and the standard color marker for foe/neutral/friend) What I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

celestian
November 27th, 2018, 18:37
Sorry for the dumb question, but... is this supposed to work with Savage Worlds? I have tried with 5E without problem, but when trying it in any SW campaign, it doesn't work (neither does in CoC, I think). I tried with simple letter tokens, to no avail. No other extension was loaded, just the ruleset, and tokens are at 80%. No crown appears, just the standard white ring (and the standard color marker for foe/neutral/friend) What I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

If they are CoreRPG based rulesets it should work assuming neither has overridden the CoreRPG behaviors. I do not have/use either to test tho.

LordEntrails
November 27th, 2018, 19:37
Savage Worlds has made a huge amount of changes to the various files used by CoreRPG, so it would not surprise me if this, or any extension not designed for SW, worked without issues.

I would ask int he SW forum if anyone has used this successfully. I also would wonder, if SW uses Initiative, is it not already coded in SW?

Teotimus
November 27th, 2018, 21:49
Ouch, it probably must be the initiative, indeed. SW initiative is based on cards, so the coding is probably quite changed... What a shame, it's a great extension!

Thanks, guys!

rob2e
December 20th, 2018, 22:05
Possible to show on the player side?

damned
December 20th, 2018, 22:33
Possible to show on the player side?

It was designed as a GM aide.

rob2e
December 20th, 2018, 23:06
It was designed as a GM aide.

So that's a no?

celestian
December 21st, 2018, 00:12
So that's a no?

It can be written for players also but I didn't think they would have issues finding their character as much as a DM might since the DM tends to be working with 1-10 of the same looking tokens. There is also the problem of memory allocations on the player side. Since this work similarly as the "RIP" death indicator if the client has memory issues it will not show up.

mattekure
December 21st, 2018, 02:06
Hopefully with the memory improvements of 3.3.7 the player memory issues should be reduced.

damned
December 21st, 2018, 02:29
The memory improvements are caused by not loading up all the images in a reference manual.
Extensions like this that display additional tokens will continue to add to memory usage as before 3.3.7

celestian
December 21st, 2018, 03:02
Hopefully with the memory improvements of 3.3.7 the player memory issues should be reduced.

That's kinda what im waiting to see. If the RIP extension turns out to work w/o issues moving forward it might not be an issue anymore.

My understanding was the changes made are similar to how the DM side functions. I NEVER had the RIP extension give me problems as a DM so I suspect it will be the same for the clients now... just have to wait and see.

mattekure
December 21st, 2018, 04:18
That's kinda what im waiting to see. If the RIP extension turns out to work w/o issues moving forward it might not be an issue anymore.

My understanding was the changes made are similar to how the DM side functions. I NEVER had the RIP extension give me problems as a DM so I suspect it will be the same for the clients now... just have to wait and see.

Thats what I was thinking as well. I like the RIP extension and have never had issues as a DM, but one of my players always has issues. I am hoping this update will help resolve it.

Radagastofaugustine
May 16th, 2020, 12:15
Hi! This extension is simple and amazing for the DM.....I used it a lot in fantasy ground classic. I'm trying to use it in FGU and it does seem to work as well.....the crown is there.....but it is so small, it is difficult to see. Does the extension need a update or is there something I can do in FGU to make it work?

celestian
May 16th, 2020, 19:59
Hi! This extension is simple and amazing for the DM.....I used it a lot in fantasy ground classic. I'm trying to use it in FGU and it does seem to work as well.....the crown is there.....but it is so small, it is difficult to see. Does the extension need a update or is there something I can do in FGU to make it work?

They changed how widgets size in FGU, once FGU is stabilized I'll update the extension to show as it does in FGC.

pablomaz
May 19th, 2020, 01:54
That's cool! I'll keep my eyes open for the FGU version. For now, my FGC sessions will have their little kings and queens.:D

jrowsey1
August 27th, 2020, 02:39
Saw today’s FGU update did something with the widget handling to make it match FGC. Is it possible now to update this extension for FGU?

celestian
August 27th, 2020, 04:13
Saw today’s FGU update did something with the widget handling to make it match FGC. Is it possible now to update this extension for FGU?

I'll take a look this weekend. Working on the ruleset updates for submission tomorrow.

jrowsey1
November 7th, 2020, 17:22
Looks like this extension is working in FGU now.

celestian
November 7th, 2020, 20:05
Looks like this extension is working in FGU now.

They must have corrected the widget issue from previous discussions. I did not change anything on this end.

vaughnlannister
November 8th, 2020, 09:06
Hey, I have the latest extension running, but the crown is quite large? Would you know a way how I could correct the size?

Really love the crown, makes it so clear which enemy NPC are on turn!

Update: so its working, though if the grid size is set to 350 by 350, the crown size expands to much, so either decrease the size of the maps or decrease the grid size :)

celestian
November 8th, 2020, 20:20
Hey, I have the latest extension running, but the crown is quite large? Would you know a way how I could correct the size?

Really love the crown, makes it so clear which enemy NPC are on turn!

Update: so its working, though if the grid size is set to 350 by 350, the crown size expands to much, so either decrease the size of the maps or decrease the grid size :)

Hum, yes that is quite large ;) FGU changed the way size is set on widgets. I'll see if I can tune that down a bit.

celestian
November 8th, 2020, 20:38
Updates

1.5: Updated size settings for FGU changes

FGU changed the way sizes are set. 1.5 sets a more reasonable size.

vaughnlannister
November 8th, 2020, 20:45
Updates

1.5: Updated size settings for FGU changes

FGU changed the way sizes are set. 1.5 sets a more reasonable size.

Thank you :D!

EllivasKram
January 4th, 2021, 21:24
superb Extn in combination to 'Matjam's-Status-indicators' Highly recommended for DM's

Dr0W
March 3rd, 2021, 07:55
I love this, but I was wondering: Celestian, have you ever released an extension that does the TARGET indicator for CoreRPG? Similar to what we have on Ad&d, an overlay that is always displayed on the target.

celestian
March 3rd, 2021, 17:52
I love this, but I was wondering: Celestian, have you ever released an extension that does the TARGET indicator for CoreRPG? Similar to what we have on Ad&d, an overlay that is always displayed on the target.

Nope, that requires a bit more ... tweaking and then I'd have to manage an extension everytime a patch came out ;)

Dr0W
March 4th, 2021, 02:07
Oh, no worries about that then. I just thought you already had done it and I couldn't find it. Thanks!

EmptyOwl
March 6th, 2021, 20:14
This is just about the best .ext ever! Amazing functionality that should be part of Unity! Well done, sir! Well done!

Dire Weasel
July 31st, 2021, 07:55
Would you consider adding this to the Forge?

sweetsquid
July 31st, 2021, 12:41
Sadly the crown appears on the map, but doesn't follow the combat tracker - just stays over one token.

using latest Savage worlds

Trenloe
July 31st, 2021, 12:52
Sadly the crown appears on the map, but doesn't follow the combat tracker - just stays over one token.

using latest Savage worlds
It's not compatible with Savage Worlds, as SW uses a slightly different database structure for storing combat tracker data (due to the ability to group individuals together) - and this extension uses that data to know when to switch the active indicator.

celestian
July 31st, 2021, 21:45
Would you consider adding this to the Forge?

I'll see about adding it. Working through my backlog on these.

Dire Weasel
August 2nd, 2021, 18:43
It's not compatible with Savage Worlds, as SW uses a slightly different database structure for storing combat tracker data (due to the ability to group individuals together) - and this extension uses that data to know when to switch the active indicator.

It should be possible to handle Savage Worlds by replacing the line in onInit():

DB.addHandler("combattracker.list.*.active", "onUpdate", updateInititiativeIndicator);

with:

if CombatManager.CT_COMBATANT_PATH then
DB.addHandler(CombatManager.CT_COMBATANT_PATH .. ".active", "onUpdate", updateInititiativeIndicator);
else
DB.addHandler("combattracker.list.*.active", "onUpdate", updateInititiativeIndicator);
end

The Savage Worlds ruleset defines CT_COMBATANT_PATH in manager_combat2.lua:

CombatManager.CT_COMBATANT_PATH = "combattracker.combatantgroups.*.combatants.*"

It seems to work well in my tests.

Dire Weasel
August 2nd, 2021, 18:46
I'll see about adding it. Working through my backlog on these.

Thanks for adding it!

Did you intend for it to be located in the vault?

Weissrolf
August 17th, 2021, 00:31
The Forge edition is password protected, which means that we cannot customize it to our needs (like decreasing the crown size that blocks too much space).

celestian
August 17th, 2021, 15:56
The Forge edition is password protected, which means that we cannot customize it to our needs (like decreasing the crown size that blocks too much space).

I use the default, the repo is still around also (https://github.com/CelestianGC/Has-Initiative-Indicator).

I'm uploading the version with pull request to allow Savage Worlds to work today, when they approve I'll remove it from the vault mode.

edit: or not, can't find a way to edit and move it from vault, shrug. The source is on the repo tho.

MeAndUnique
August 17th, 2021, 16:14
I use the default, the repo is still around also (https://github.com/CelestianGC/Has-Initiative-Indicator).

I'm uploading the version with pull request to allow Savage Worlds to work today, when they approve I'll remove it from the vault mode.

edit: or not, can't find a way to edit and move it from vault, shrug. The source is on the repo tho.

The "Install Location" setting toward the top of the "Manage Builds" tab. Set to "Data" to remove the password.

Weissrolf
August 17th, 2021, 16:14
Thanks for the repo link. I disabled vault updates and downloaded from the repo.

Weissrolf
August 17th, 2021, 16:16
FYI: the overlay is not present right after login if an ongoing combat is loaded and on (N)PC still has initiative. You need to switch at least once for the extension to do its thing.

celestian
August 17th, 2021, 16:38
FYI: the overlay is not present right after login if an ongoing combat is loaded and on (N)PC still has initiative. You need to switch at least once for the extension to do its thing.

It's been a while since I created this extension but if I recall adding the handler for that would require additional "overrides" of CoreRPG which I am loath to do.

Jiminimonka
January 29th, 2022, 01:04
Not sure if this is correct, but I have been running Savage Worlds and I have been playing 5e on another table. The only extension used on both tables is Has Initiative Indicator.

Sometimes (quite often) when a player moves a token it vanishes off the map. I have also had it happen in SWADE when adding token from CT to map, some of them vanish, seemingly at random.

As I say I have not done extensive testing but I turned it off in SWADE and tokens havent been vanishing off the map so far.

Its late here and I will test tomorrow if I remember.

Jiminimonka
February 1st, 2022, 00:15
Not sure if this is correct, but I have been running Savage Worlds and I have been playing 5e on another table. The only extension used on both tables is Has Initiative Indicator.

Sometimes (quite often) when a player moves a token it vanishes off the map. I have also had it happen in SWADE when adding token from CT to map, some of them vanish, seemingly at random.

As I say I have not done extensive testing but I turned it off in SWADE and tokens havent been vanishing off the map so far.

Its late here and I will test tomorrow if I remember.

OK, had a session tonight without this extension, and the tokens still disappeared when moves approved, so ignore my previous post.

ghen
July 16th, 2022, 00:52
Seems to be throwing an error when selecting a combat tracker character:

UtilityManager.isClientFGU - DEPRECATED - 2022-07-12 - Contact forge/extension author

I didn't test this extensively. Just disabled the extension and the error no longer shows.

JustinFreitas
July 16th, 2022, 12:55
I removed the UtilityManager.isClientFGU() calls and replaced it with calls to this local function. Good luck.

local function isClientFGU()
local nMajor = Interface.getVersion()
return nMajor >= 4
end