PDA

View Full Version : Random person knocked my license down to Demo

Myrtheus
November 17th, 2018, 16:51
I was just working on this weekend's game when all of a sudden a random person came in and it knocked my license down to demo. I didn't think that could happen. I do not have an ultimate license, but I have a full one. I didn't think it was possible for a demo to come it. He must have just inputed random words to get in. Maybe this is a bug from the new update?

LordEntrails
November 17th, 2018, 17:01
A single demo player can connect to a standard license. It might react this way. I assume your license still shows standard when you restart FG now?

The aliases are not unique, they are cyclically assigned so its possible (and known) that on rare occasions, two GMs will be trying to use the same alias. The best way to prevent this is to put a simple password on the game, something simple like "bob" is all you need.

dulux-oz
November 18th, 2018, 01:30
The best way to prevent this is to put a simple password on the game, something simple like "bob" is all you need.

Not Kate? :confused:

damned
November 18th, 2018, 01:47
If a Demo connects to your Standard table the following happens:
If another player is already connected they will not be able to connect - they will get some sort of license warning.
If no other player is connected they will be able to connect but the session will revert to Demo mode. If another licensed player connected the Demo player gets kicked.

Valyar
November 18th, 2018, 02:08
The aliases are not unique? What happens if two Hosts have the same alias and ppl try to connect :D

damned
November 18th, 2018, 02:10
The aliases are not unique? What happens if two Hosts have the same alias and ppl try to connect :D

then they may or may not get directed to the correct table
there is a finite pool of aliases and they are rotated thru
in addition sometime GMs sit there clicking 4622x just to see some different options - meanwhile they have reset everyone of those aliases to their ip and this will persist until another GMs computer reclaims these aliases.

Valyar
November 18th, 2018, 02:15
The alias is not linked to IP. I travel and my laptop has different public and private IP every day, but the alias is the same. Probably the client “updates” something at FG servers that are responsible for the lookup of the IP when client provides alias as connection string.

damned
November 18th, 2018, 02:22
The alias is not linked to IP. I travel and my laptop has different public and private IP every day, but the alias is the same. Probably the client “updates” something at FG servers that are responsible for the lookup of the IP when client provides alias as connection string.

Of course its linked to IP - otherwise how does the connection occur?
The FG servers do not broker any connections - the alias is a form of dns.
When you launch your FG in Load Campaign or Create Campaign your client updates the alias server with your current ip and alias - or something similar to that.

LordEntrails
November 18th, 2018, 03:47
I think a clearer way to say it is that an alias is not assigned to a fixed/static IP, rather anytime a campaign is launched that uses an alias, that alias is updated on the FG server with the "new" IP of the hosting computer.

At one point in time Doug asked if people would be willing to pay for "Vanity" aliases. But such is not available yet.

damned
November 18th, 2018, 03:57
I think a clearer way to say it is that an alias is not assigned to a fixed/static IP, rather anytime a campaign is launched that uses an alias, that alias is updated on the FG server with the "new" IP of the hosting computer.

At one point in time Doug asked if people would be willing to pay for "Vanity" aliases. But such is not available yet.

I think it was a tongue in cheek response to whatever was going on at the time...

In fact - it was you who suggested paying for them!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27554-new-computer-old-alias

LordEntrails
November 18th, 2018, 04:04
I think it was a tongue in cheek response to whatever was going on at the time...

In fact - it was you who suggested paying for them!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27554-new-computer-old-alias
Now you're acting like T.R.E.N.L.O.E. throwing my own words back at me!

LordEntrails
November 18th, 2018, 04:05
Err, but, if you follow the thread, Moon Wizard listed the idea years before I even started using FG!
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40860

dulux-oz
November 18th, 2018, 04:11
At one point in time Doug asked if people would be willing to pay for "Vanity" aliases.

I'd pay for one (or two, as the case may be) - provided it was the one I wanted :p

Ken L
November 18th, 2018, 05:09
FG's "Alias" system either gives out the same alias at times for different games, or has a hash collision they're handing very badly. I've had this happen to me, but I have an 'Ultimate' so I just closed the game and added a PW.

It's not always someone entering random words.

damned
November 18th, 2018, 07:45
Err, but, if you follow the thread, Moon Wizard listed the idea years before I even started using FG!
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40860

Yes - but you were the one that suggested paying for one.

LordEntrails
November 18th, 2018, 16:42
Yes - but you were the one that suggested paying for one.
I mean who wouldn't pay for an alias like "Murder Hobos Rule" or "Enter and Die"?

Nulk
November 19th, 2018, 00:02
I'd throw in for this - a friendly reminder before the session such as, "My DM needs Pizza" or "My DM needs Beer" would be just the thing.

dulux-oz
November 19th, 2018, 01:50
How about "OMG We're Gonna Die!" ?

Trenloe
November 19th, 2018, 16:16
in addition sometime GMs sit there clicking 4622x just to see some different options - meanwhile they have reset everyone of those aliases to their ip and this will persist until another GMs computer reclaims these aliases.
I don't think this is how it works. Based off the FG console.log showing the following only after the campaign starts loading:

[19.11.2018 16:12:56] Runtime Notice: Refreshing alias
[19.11.2018 16:12:57] Runtime Notice: Alias refresh result = Success

Based off this, it seems that clicking through a bunch of aliases before the campaign is started doesn't register the GM IP address against all of those aliases - only the alias actually used when the campaign is started.

damned
November 19th, 2018, 21:09
I don't think this is how it works. Based off the FG console.log showing the following only after the campaign starts loading:

[19.11.2018 16:12:56] Runtime Notice: Refreshing alias
[19.11.2018 16:12:57] Runtime Notice: Alias refresh result = Success

Based off this, it seems that clicking through a bunch of aliases before the campaign is started doesn't register the GM IP address against all of those aliases - only the alias actually used when the campaign is started.

Very good to know.
So the increase in conflicting aliases is pretty much due to increased game numbers and/or people having similar preferences as to the alias they hang on to.
I have heard quite a few ppl who cycled thru aliases until they found one they preferred - Im glad its not making a mess of multiple other aliases!