PDA

View Full Version : Mad Mage Maps

Beerbelly
November 17th, 2018, 04:18
There is a map pack of extra maps for the Dungeon of the mad mage adventure that WOTC released. Will that be coming to FG also? Would be wonderful if it was.

Zacchaeus
November 17th, 2018, 09:13
The maps in that pack, as far as I understand, are exactly the same maps as is in the adventure only printed on card or some other material and maybe a bit bigger so they can be used on the tabletop. So there isn't a need for that in FG.

LordEntrails
November 17th, 2018, 16:25
At least some of them are the same size, they are just laminated.

Dugahst
November 17th, 2018, 18:00
I'd be happy for the original player version of the maps (black and white) in FG. Not a fan of the grey versions that were included in the FG version of the product.
I also don't like how sub-rooms don't have separate pins, you can't tell which sub-room is which without having the DM map open at the same time as the player map.

LordEntrails
November 17th, 2018, 20:30
I believe all the B&W maps are included in the Reference Manual portion of the module. Would have to go look to be sure, but I think I remember that being stated early on.

Dugahst
November 17th, 2018, 20:53
As far as I can tell I have only found the DM version of the maps in the original B&W

LordEntrails
November 17th, 2018, 21:46
As far as I can tell I have only found the DM version of the maps in the original B&W
Mr. Z would know for sure. I haven't finished reading it yet :(

Zacchaeus
November 17th, 2018, 22:20
Indeed, only the DM maps are black and white; the player maps are coloured.

And Dugast's comments above, about the colouring, once again proves that John Lydgate's words (you can please some of the people all of the time etc) are still as apposite now as then.

Dugahst
November 17th, 2018, 23:56
Indeed, only the DM maps are black and white; the player maps are coloured.

And Dugast's comments above, about the colouring, once again proves that John Lydgate's words (you can please some of the people all of the time etc) are still as apposite now as then.

My comment regarding preference of map is just a matter of taste, but the missing pins is a legitimate concern that should be addressed.

Zacchaeus
November 18th, 2018, 00:15
The pins aren’t missing since there are no separate story entries for each sub location. Pins in sub locations would only point back to the main numbered location which would not be all that helpful. The sub locations are all noted on the DM maps however along with all the other things the DM will need such as secret doors etc.

Dugahst
November 18th, 2018, 00:48
The pins aren’t missing since there are no separate story entries for each sub location. Pins in sub locations would only point back to the main numbered location which would not be all that helpful. The sub locations are all noted on the DM maps however along with all the other things the DM will need such as secret doors etc.

Ya that’s my point, sub rooms should be separate entries so that they can have their own pins.

leozelig
November 18th, 2018, 12:36
I know you probably don't want to spend more money on this - can't blame you for that, but D&D Beyond has player versions of the original maps. I have used them in other modules when the FG maps haven't suited me.

Dugahst
November 18th, 2018, 14:05
I know you probably don't want to spend more money on this - can't blame you for that, but D&D Beyond has player versions of the original maps. I have used them in other modules when the FG maps haven't suited me.

Actually I own it on D&D beyond too and that’s how I knew they existed. It would take a lot of prep time to bring them into FG (although I may do it anyways), I just think the FG module should include them.

leozelig
November 19th, 2018, 00:52
Actually I own it on D&D beyond too and that’s how I knew they existed. It would take a lot of prep time to bring them into FG (although I may do it anyways), I just think the FG module should include them.

I hear you... I've done it for other adventures. I haven't seen the colored maps, but it seems strange to me. Not exactly a bad thing, but I guess I would just expect to see the same maps as the published module.

Dugahst
November 19th, 2018, 02:46
A picture is worth a 1000 words, so let me give an example for those that haven't seen the FG module.

You're the DM and your players are on the 1st floor they come to area 23 on the map (shown in the image) and you open the pin for it, problem is area 23 is collection of 3 rooms (labeled 23a, 23b, 23c). The map doesn't specify which room is which, and since all 3 rooms are combined into 1 pin you have to guess. The only way to know for sure is to open up the dm map at the same time and switch back and forth between the 2 which is a pain in the arse, especially if you're running from a laptop or smaller screen where real-estate is tight.

The entire dungeon is made up like this (where collections of rooms all fall under 1 pin) and it is very frustrating.

Myrdin Potter
November 19th, 2018, 18:09
I agree that the sub rooms need their own entries and pins. Would be much easier to run. There can be an argument that you should read the entire room as the sub-rooms are often linked, but when you are running it, it is much more convenient to have more than one pin and entry.

However, the dungeon is pretty old school with lots of secret doors and traps and other features, so I cannot imagine not looking at the DM's map pretty often.

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2018, 17:56
The module has now been updated (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46733-Release-Updates-on-November-27th-2018) so that each entry has its own story and all locations are now pinned on player maps. If you are already running the adventure, after you have updated, close the module in module activation and then re-open it again so that the maps and story entries are refreshed.

Trenloe
November 27th, 2018, 19:56
To get the full latest data after a module has been updated you need to "Revert Changes" from the module activation screen. Opening and closing the module is exactly the same as exiting FG and reloading FG (which you've done anyway to run the update) - if you've made any changes to the module data in the campaign, you won't see any updates to that record until you actually "revert changes" on the individual record or the whole module.

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2018, 20:22
To get the full latest data after a module has been updated you need to "Revert Changes" from the module activation screen. Opening and closing the module is exactly the same as exiting FG and reloading FG (which you've done anyway to run the update) - if you've made any changes to the module data in the campaign, you won't see any updates to that record until you actually "revert changes" on the individual record or the whole module.

Yes, yes, of course. Ignore the above. I was thinking of an entirely different scenario.

esmdev
November 27th, 2018, 22:24
The module has now been updated (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46733-Release-Updates-on-November-27th-2018) so that each entry has its own story and all locations are now pinned on player maps. If you are already running the adventure, after you have updated, close the module in module activation and then re-open it again so that the maps and story entries are refreshed.

Nice update! :) I definitely looks like it will make things clearer.

Dugahst
November 29th, 2018, 19:42

how do you do this revert changes? (My maps don't have the new pins)

LordEntrails
November 29th, 2018, 19:43
Right mouse, either over the individual item (map, story, etc) or from the Library/Modules window (don't remember which one)

Kelrugem
November 29th, 2018, 19:44

Hi :)

Go into yur library and then into your module list where can load and unload them :) Then right-click onto your mad mage module and click "revert changes" :) This works with any changed module, but it will also revert your changes as far as I know.

Best,

Kelrugem

EDIT: LordEntrails answer is better (and he was faster :D). With his method you can revert changes to individual items :)

Dugahst
November 29th, 2018, 19:49
Hi :)

Go into yur library and then into your module list where can load and unload them :) Then right-click onto your mad mage module and click "revert changes" :) This works with any changed module, but it will also revert your changes as far as I know.

Best,

Kelrugem

EDIT: LordEntrails answer is better (and he was faster :D). With his method you can revert changes to individual items :)

ahh ok, i was doing that but discovered you have to right click on the small image of the module. If you right click anywhere else in the box it doesn't show it.

Kelrugem
November 29th, 2018, 19:53
ahh ok, i was doing that but discovered you have to right click on the small image of the module. If you right click anywhere else in the box it doesn't show it.

Oh, really? I also just tried it out and I can right-click anywhere in the box of the module. Strange that you have to right click on the image, but glady it works now for you :)

LordEntrails
November 29th, 2018, 21:36
Yep, the right mouse is context sensitive, so depending upon what the cursor is "on" the right mouse menu will be different. Try it on different things to see what you can find :)