PDA

View Full Version : DM map vs Player map

Battlewear
November 15th, 2018, 19:47
Good Day All..

I am loving Fantasy grounds but I am a newer user so still learning the ropes..
Quick explain, I use FG to project digital maps on to a table top for the players around the table.

What I do is have 2 instances of FG running, 1 is the DM and the other is the player..
What I am wondering is, how can I share a map with the players that doesnt show things like secret doors or traps, but have on my side those things still hidden.

esmdev
November 15th, 2018, 20:20
You could use the localhost to log into your campaign as a player and display the player map via the projector. That way they see whatever map you send out to the player while keeping your DM map viewable only on the host.

Battlewear
November 15th, 2018, 20:24
Yea, I have been looking at that (where I share the Player Map to the players and keep the DM map for me), but is there a way to tie the 2 maps together? I.e. so with the map, we do use the monster tokens and player tokens to reflect location.. (if you saw some of my huge battles, youd get why having the tokens is good!).. Anyways, if the players have tokens on the player map, that wont show on the DM's map will it?

ProNobis
November 15th, 2018, 20:25
exactly what esmdev says. To make it work you will need to right click, "layers", then click "Enable Mask"

pindercarl
November 15th, 2018, 20:28
You could use the localhost to log into your campaign as a player and display the player map via the projector. That way they see whatever map you send out to the player while keeping your DM map viewable only on the host.

It sounds to me like that is what Battlewear is already doing.

Shortcut pins and tokens are hidden by default from the players. You could use either of these to indicate traps or secret doors. For an added bonus, you could create the trap as an NPC that can "attack" the players to cause damage.

Trenloe
November 15th, 2018, 20:53
What I am wondering is, how can I share a map with the players that doesnt show things like secret doors or traps, but have on my side those things still hidden.
Quick answer - you can't specifically do this.

Player maps and GM maps are usually two different maps. The player map will be full size, with a grid - to allow for good quality viewing when zoomed in a little for encounters. Labels, secret doors, etc. are not on this map at all.

The GM map, a separate map, is usually smaller (no need for a large resolution map), has all of the secret stuff on it - it's usually a direct copy of what is presented in the original product, with room numbers, etc..

There's no way to automatically link these two together. Keep all of the PC and visible monster tokens on the player map. Add NPCs to the combat tracker and the map (I'd recommend using the FG "encounter" functionality for this). Use pins on the maps to link to story entries for more information - similar to a numbered location description in a print/PDF product, with additional FG specific info (encounters, quests, packages, etc.). Commercial FG products should have pins on both the GM and player map - if you're making your own, put the pin links on the map you refer to the most if you only want them on one.

LordEntrails
November 16th, 2018, 00:36
I make all my traps and hazards NPCs. Then I can put tokens for them on the map and have the hidden or shown to the players as appropriate. Secret doors I indicate on the player map with a pin, which they don't see.

esmdev
November 16th, 2018, 02:24
I was thinking a bit more about the situation and remembered reading about using tokens as objects and was thinking this might work for you. I have not used this extension but from my reading believe that it might help.

I'm assuming this is 5E if not there may be something similar depending on the ruleset you are using.

Based on my reading you can place token objects in different layers on the map. The way I read this you could build your player map as a DM map by using custom tokens to represent secret doors, one ways, traps, etc., keep them hidden from player view so you can see where these things are but the players cannot. Then if they perceive the hidden feature you can just make the token visible and then the players can see the object on their map too.

Hopefully it works the way it seems... perhaps someone who uses this can shed more light, it seems to have quite a few users.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44343-Extension-Advanced-Kombat-(5E)

Kelrugem
November 16th, 2018, 02:38
I was thinking a bit more about the situation and remembered reading about using tokens as objects and was thinking this might work for you. I have not used this extension but from my reading believe that it might help.

I'm assuming this is 5E if not there may be something similar depending on the ruleset you are using.

Based on my reading you can place token objects in different layers on the map. The way I read this you could build your player map as a DM map by using custom tokens to represent secret doors, one ways, traps, etc., keep them hidden from player view so you can see where these things are but the players cannot. Then if they perceive the hidden feature you can just make the token visible and then the players can see the object on their map too.

Hopefully it works the way it seems... perhaps someone who uses this can shed more light, it seems to have quite a few users.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44343-Extension-Advanced-Kombat-(5E)

What this extension uses for that layer is basically nothing else than https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-(layers)-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-(and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG) (as Ken also mentioned there :) ). So if you do not want to use this extension and all its features (e.g. by some incompatibility with some other extension) then you might want to just use the extension about enhanced images which would only add the additional layers :)

Battlewear
November 19th, 2018, 15:55
It sounds to me like that is what Battlewear is already doing.

Shortcut pins and tokens are hidden by default from the players. You could use either of these to indicate traps or secret doors. For an added bonus, you could create the trap as an NPC that can "attack" the players to cause damage.

Ohhhhh I like that idea Pindercarl!!! Great idea!

Battlewear
November 19th, 2018, 15:56

OH AWESOME! Will check that out, and that goes right in line with what Pindercarl was mentioning!!!!

LordEntrails
November 19th, 2018, 15:58
There are a few trap modules around on the forums and DMsGuild that have traps as NPCs. They are fairly old, so may not have all the functionality of a new one, plus WotC changed the trap format a few times over the last couple years, so they may not be in the format you wish, but all should have something usable.