PDA

View Full Version : fantasygrounds having a lot of lockup and crashing

paul23212
November 10th, 2018, 05:13
Good evening everyone for the past 3 months i been noticing that my fantasygrounds has been locking up and freezing for me and my players.

Things that i have done.
1) created a new module and limited the modules and tokens that i share (53.1 MB (55,734,984 bytes is the size of my token folder)
2) unshared all maps that were not being used
3) had players nuke their cache and reconnect to the game
4) monitored ram for each player most were not over 2 gigs I can get task manager shots for all my players if needed.
5) I have three players connecting to me and i have 100/10 for internet connection i have monitored my network connection and it is no where near maxing out
6) this happens with 32 and 64 bit versions.

LordEntrails
November 10th, 2018, 07:35
Tokens. If you have 53 MB of tokens in your shared tokens folder you (probably) have too many. It depends upon the resolution of the tokens and not the file size.

Try moving all of the tokens out of your shared folder and restart FG and see if the problems go away.

You can move all your toeksn into tokens folders, which will help you load and unload them easier.

The problem is that all tokens in the shared folder or in open modules are opened into memory for the player clients (not the GM client) and images can easily take up in RAM 20 times their file size. And, since FG is a 32 bit process it can only use about 3.5 GB of RAM.

Have yoru players check their process size to see if the issues happen above 3GB.

Trenloe
November 10th, 2018, 07:47
1) Move tokens into modules (not folders).
2) Don’t use the experimental 64-bit version - it is known to become unresponsive when masking.
3) Other than masking with the 64-bit version, what is being done when FG become unresponsive? FG is a single threaded application, if it is doing something intense (adding a complex NPC or PC to the CT, opening a large map, etc.) it can go not responding for a while. Does FG come back after going not responding?
4) Are you using custom maps? That is maps not from a FG module. If so, how big are the maps - resolution and file size.
5) What ruleset are you using?
6) What extensions (including themes and decals) do you have enabled?
7) What modules do you have open and what modules do you have shared with the players?
8) What is the size of your campaign db.xml file?
9) Are any of the players using a 32-bit operating system?

paul23212
November 10th, 2018, 08:13
Thank you Trenloe
I will move my tokens into a module and make sure my players are using the normal FG
I do have custom maps but most of them are from Zovya her older maps are about 3000 x 2000 2.6mb. I notice now she has been making modules for them that may help
extensions i am using DOE base, Locations, sound, Weather, and the theme i am using is FG con Steam pirates theme
I am using 5e rulesets and starfinder
My db.xml file is 1456kb
On another note i created a new starfinder campaign with the bare min and have the same issue

Trenloe
November 10th, 2018, 08:55
On another note i created a new starfinder campaign with the bare min and have the same issue
Can you provide details of exactly what the issue is?

paul23212
November 10th, 2018, 09:10
The game goes not responding and the screen turns white and most of the time you have to force quit the game I have tried to wait and see if it starts responding but it never has. The other thing that happens it that the game locks up and when you click on anything nothing happens. There is no real time frame when this happens i seen it happen when we have been playing for 5 minutes or not for 2 hours. just seems random.

Trenloe
November 10th, 2018, 09:42
When you created the new Starfinder campaign and had the same issue, how much memory was FG using?
Are you using the 64-bit exe?

paul23212
November 10th, 2018, 10:12
I was using 32 bit i will have to try and get some of my friend to test with me i so not remember the ram usage.

Trenloe
November 10th, 2018, 10:25
BTW - there has been a recently reported issue with the Starfinder core rules module taking up 2.2GB of memory in the player side. This can quickly cause issues for players.

An updated module is being worked on...

paul23212
November 10th, 2018, 10:35
Thank you for all your help

paul23212
November 11th, 2018, 04:43
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (thumbnail.png) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/HANDY JUNKBOT.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/CONTROL UNDEAD.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/DISINTEGRATE.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/MICROBOT ASSAULT.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/OVERLOAD SYSTEMS.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/FLIGHT.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/LIFE BUBBLE.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/PSYCHOKINETIC STRANGULATION.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/SECURITY SEAL.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/CHAPTER 11 GAME MASTERING.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/SMOKE EFFECTS.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.

ram usage 3467.4 MB just started starfinder

Trenloe
November 11th, 2018, 11:38
ram usage 3467.4 MB just started starfinder]
Wow, that's a lot and is more than likely contributing to your issues.

Is this the GM or the player seeing this memory use?

What modules do you have loaded?

Andraax
November 11th, 2018, 13:11
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (thumbnail.png) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/HANDY JUNKBOT.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/CONTROL UNDEAD.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/DISINTEGRATE.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/MICROBOT ASSAULT.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/OVERLOAD SYSTEMS.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/FLIGHT.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/LIFE BUBBLE.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/PSYCHOKINETIC STRANGULATION.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/SECURITY SEAL.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/CHAPTER 11 GAME MASTERING.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (images/SMOKE EFFECTS.jpg) to cache. Please restart Fantasy Grounds and reset cache on launch screen before rejoining game.

This indicates the permissions on the data folder are set incorrectly. Have your player fix them.

Trenloe
November 11th, 2018, 13:17
This indicates the permissions on the data folder are set incorrectly. Have your player fix them.
You'd normally think that. But once a client starts to use memory over 3.2-3.4GB they can see these messages as part of the general approaching max memory use for FG.

If there were permission issues, FG usually reports something like "Runtime Error: Unable to save file (<filename>) - Error (13): Permission denied"

shartahl
November 12th, 2018, 02:38
My players are having those same issues with starfinder. The starfinder core rules module adds 2200M to memory used. The Starfinder Armory adds 700M to memory. Adding to base of 300 or so, just those two put it very close to the 3600M 32 bit cap that begins spitting out errors.

On the GM side, not having any memory issues, usually topping around 2000M with everything loaded.

damned
November 12th, 2018, 03:16
My players are having those same issues with starfinder. The starfinder core rules module adds 2200M to memory used. The Starfinder Armory adds 700M to memory. Adding to base of 300 or so, just those two put it very close to the 3600M 32 bit cap that begins spitting out errors.

On the GM side, not having any memory issues, usually topping around 2000M with everything loaded.

A fix is being worked on for the player memory issues - not quite ready yet - but hopefully soon...

shartahl
November 12th, 2018, 20:07
A fix is being worked on for the player memory issues - not quite ready yet - but hopefully soon...

Great news! Appreciate the hard work done by all those squishing bugs

paul23212
November 13th, 2018, 04:56

Thank you

paul23212
December 1st, 2018, 04:58
I really hope this gets fixed soon the game is almost unplayable Fg has worked great for year and i have had not issue but now every game.

paul23212
December 1st, 2018, 04:59
four gigs of ram used and it keeps locking up as well as other players

shartahl
December 1st, 2018, 05:46
four gigs of ram used and it keeps locking up as well as other players

Clear the cache on the player client. A patch went though that split the core into GM and Player version. The player one uses less than half the memory

Moon Wizard
December 1st, 2018, 08:09
If you are running at 4G of RAM, then you need to reduce one of these three things that typically cause high memory usage:

1. Reduce number of modules loaded. Keep to only those need during play; and players should never load GM modules (DMG, adventures, etc.). GM modules are disabled by default, unless GM overrides.

2. Reduce number and/or size of tokens used. If you use the shared tokens folder, all of the tokens are shared and loaded into memory on both the GM and the player machines. For both reduce the number of custom tokens you are loading, and make sure that they are reasonably sized. (We recommend 100x100 for Medium creatures.)

3. Reduce number and/or size of campaign images used. Map images should be under 2000x2000 in resolution. Larger maps will eat up large amounts of memory, and will overload the graphics interface and crash at double that size.

If you are using custom tokens and/or images provided outside the FG DLC content packs, then you are probably running into number 2 and 3.

Regards,
JPG