PDA

View Full Version : How to install a second copy of FG to my PC

fantasmamore
November 8th, 2018, 20:23
Hello guys,
I am pretty sure that my question has already been answered somewhere but I cannot find it. I apologize for creating a new thread and if you can find the response please send me the link.
My problem is that I can't install a demo version of FG on my PC while there is a licenced steam version already installed. Everytime I run the installer it "connects" to my steam version and I can only update the software - not install it. I tried to change the paths to point to a different folder but I only messed up and nothing worked.
This is strange. I had no problem on my mac book pro - I had the steam version running and then I installed a demo version with wine, I could have both open and I actually sent the window of the demo version to a tv monitor. Everything was great.
Now somebody gave me a PC and I really enjoy using FG there - it runs way better than on the mac and it also has a big screen - so, great! I thought that I could use the steam version on my mac and have my players look at the PC while we are playing but... as I said, I cannot install a "new instance" of the program there.
Last week I manually deleted the serial number from the specific field so I could connect to my mac and everything worked great - but this is not the right solution. For one, tonight I had to use the program to prepare my adventure and once I pasted the serial number, it had to update all of my modules again.
So, how can I install a demo version of the game when there is already a steam version installed?
I am not a PC guy so please take it easy with me!
I use windows 7.
Thank you in advance!

Trenloe
November 8th, 2018, 20:37
First question - why do you need to install a demo version? If you want to run another instance and connect to a GM instance on the same PC then just start FG again (right-click on the running FG icon in the taskbar and click on "Fantasy Grounds") then Join Game with a server name of localhost

Otherwise, there is really no way to have 2 different installations of FG on a PC without messing around with the Windows registry and other things. Unless you know exactly what you're doing and can setup some automated files etc., then you're going to run into problems sooner or later. It's not supported and it's really not recommended. And, there's really no need for it with the localhost connection I mentioned above.

fantasmamore
November 8th, 2018, 20:47
First question - why do you need to install a demo version? If you want to run another instance and connect to a GM instance on the same PC then just start FG again (right-click on the running FG icon in the taskbar and click on "Fantasy Grounds") then Join Game with a server name of localhost

See? Not a PC guy. :)
However when I did what you propose (right click on the -already running- FG icon and then click on "Fantasy Grounds.exe") I get a window with an error message.
Error loading data
Ruleset: launcher
Error: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)
Do you want to try reloading the data?
Yes - No

When I click Yes I get the same window, when I click No it disapears.
The version that is already running is using the 5e ruleset if it matters. And is working fine - along with all my modules.
Any idea on what could cause the problem?

Trenloe
November 8th, 2018, 20:54
Try starting it from the same shortcut you used to start it originally. If that doesn't work then try running the executable FantasyGrounds.exe - usually installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds

fantasmamore
November 8th, 2018, 21:04
[...] try running the executable FantasyGrounds.exe - usually installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds
I did it and it worked! Which is awesome, thank you!
However, the problem remains.
If I use my GM-steam-version on my mac, how can I connect to it from my PC with a demo-player account?
See, I want to use my mac as GM and my PC as a player in order to show the handouts, maps etc. I cannot do it because both applications have the same serial number. If I delete the SN from my PC I can do it but then I have to copy paste it again after the game and the program has to do all these updates etc etc...

Moon Wizard
November 8th, 2018, 21:11
You can not use the same license on two different machines at the same time (per the End User License Agreement).

Either you can get another license for the second machine; or you can plug a second display into your machine, extend your desktop, and display the extra screen with the second FG instance to your users.

Regards,
JPG

Bidmaron
November 8th, 2018, 23:32
MW, I think you meant you CANNOT use the same license on two different computers?

Bidmaron
November 8th, 2018, 23:36
But here is a beef: I can connect to my own game using local host but I cannot connect from another computer? The reason I want to is because my PC has a 4K monitor that I want to use as a player screen connecting to my Mac laptop running my game. I get a license condlict when I try. It seems like if I connect using my local IP that is essentially the same as using two screens on same computer and localhost. Why can’t I at least do that?

LordEntrails
November 9th, 2018, 00:05
You can legally use your license on two different computers (in the same household). But you can not use those computers to connect to each other. i.e. if you are using one computer to connect to another computer, odds are their are two people operating those computers, hence the need for a second license. Can you not just connect your 4k PC screen to your Mac? If you don't want to mess with cables, an A/B switch is pretty cheap.

Andraax
November 9th, 2018, 00:10
One of two ways:

Second screen - can you display on your 4K monitor as a second screen for your Mac? If so, just set it up as a second screen, run a local copy of FG and connect to the game via localhost. Then, display that instance on the monitor, while your GM session is on the computer's main monitor.
Demo license - if you have another computer that is using your 4K monitor as it's monitor, and you have an Ultimate license, you can install the demo on the computer connected to your 4K monitor, and have that demo instance connect to your game via your "Internal IP" address.

Bidmaron
November 9th, 2018, 02:09
The issue is I have my license on both of the computers because I like to work on my campaign on my large monitor at my PC as well as working downstairs on my Mac laptop watching TV with my wife. It just makes no sense that I have to have a free license on my second computer to connect to my Ulitmate license but I cannot use my own Ultimate license just to have a second computer for display. At least we should be able to run an Ulitmate license in demo mode without having to reenter a different license and then redownloading all my stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful that a second instance can connect to itself on the same computer, but the logic of forcing someone to only use a free license on the same local network to connect to my own game is really quite baffling. I could get it not letting two computers running same license not able to do so in host mode, but I ought to be able to use my Ultimate license in any way that a free license can be used for God's sake.

Heck, for that matter, I'd have no objection to buying a second ultimate license just to do what I'd like to do without having to enter another license and redownloading all my stuff (which is quite a lot of material and takes over an hour to download) when I revert to my main ultimate license.

Andraax
November 9th, 2018, 02:19
You *can* use your ultimate license on both computers. You *cannot* log into one computer that is a host using another computer that is using the same license that is hosting.

Bidmaron
November 9th, 2018, 02:33
I know that Andraax. I am just saying it makes no sense that I cannot use my Ulitmate license on my second computer to connect to my own game but if I install a free demo license I can. An ultimate license ought to be able to do at least what a free license can do.

Remember that you cannot effectively run two hosts on the same local network (because of port forwarding limitations), so SW protects itself against people fraudulently using the same license to host two games using the same content. There is just no logic in forcing someone to install a free license on another computer on the same network to connect to their own game. I understand SW doesn't want a license to be shared, and that makes total sense, but the scenario I'm describing isn't sharing a license.

As I said, I'd be happy to buy a second license if there was a way not to have to redownload all my purchased content when I want to use my second computer's large screen to more effectively work on my campaign material.

LordEntrails
November 9th, 2018, 03:00
I created a Windows VM with a demo install of FG. Don't use it anymore because I just use my laptop full time now, but for a short while I had it where my brother was using my second computer when he came over to play and had the issue. Since Win 10 doesn't require a license, and VirtualBox and other VM apps are free, no additional cost, just a little more "work" setting it up, but only have to do it once.

EDIT: there is always the wishlist :)

Bidmaron
November 9th, 2018, 03:02
Yep, there is the wishlist. I'll get around to it. Just bitching because as Shadzar points out I am normally a fanboy.

Andraax
November 9th, 2018, 03:18
I know that Andraax. I am just saying it makes no sense that I cannot use my Ulitmate license on my second computer to connect to my own game but if I install a free demo license I can. An ultimate license ought to be able to do at least what a free license can do.

Because if it accepted the same license as a host, what's to stop someone from giving everyone in their group a copy of their license key?

Andraax
November 9th, 2018, 03:20
As I said, I'd be happy to buy a second license if there was a way not to have to redownload all my purchased content when I want to use my second computer's large screen to more effectively work on my campaign material.

And, BTW, the downloads are tied to your login on the forum, there is nothing stopping you from getting a second license for your second computer and putting in the same login from the forum to download the content only when it updates.

Bidmaron
November 9th, 2018, 04:15
Because if it accepted the same license as a host, what's to stop someone from giving everyone in their group a copy of their license key?

So what if they did. As long as it prevents two people from hosting using the same license it is no big deal. And if you are worried about someone logging on as a player using the same license, well, that is really not much different than if the host shared all his content with a player with the free license.

Again, I remain a fanboy. Just bitching....

Bidmaron
November 9th, 2018, 04:18
And, BTW, the downloads are tied to your login on the forum, there is nothing stopping you from getting a second license for your second computer and putting in the same login from the forum to download the content only when it updates.

I don't think this will work. If you shift to your second license login, you lose all your primary license content and must redownload it when you switch back to your primary license. Unless that has changed recently (I learned that the hard way once when I bought a second license for a friend and installed it on my second computer and then when I went back to my primary license I had to redownload everything)

Andraax
November 9th, 2018, 04:28
I don't think this will work. If you shift to your second license login, you lose all your primary license content and must redownload it when you switch back to your primary license. Unless that has changed recently (I learned that the hard way once when I bought a second license for a friend and installed it on my second computer and then when I went back to my primary license I had to redownload everything)

Why would you need to change if it's two different computers?

Bidmaron
November 9th, 2018, 04:31
So I can work my campaign on both computers. My laptop has a small retina screen, but my PC in the office has a large 4K. So, I work on both computers (wife won't let me be upstairs all the time). Since I travel a lot, I definitely have to work on my stuff on my laptop when I travel, but I really like the large screen at home.

Andraax
November 9th, 2018, 04:40
If you have two different licenses, one on each computer, and use the same login for the forums on both, why do you need to change the licenses just to work on your campaign? Campaigns are not tied to license keys...

Bidmaron
November 9th, 2018, 04:43
You cannot have two licenses using the same forum login. Or can you? Dang, I never thought of that, but although I have no issue buying another license I don't want to waste it if you can't register two licenses using the same login. You are sure that works?

Moon Wizard
November 9th, 2018, 06:57
Yes, it will work.
JPG

Nylanfs
November 9th, 2018, 12:24
You also could start a sub and test it out. :)