PDA

View Full Version : Multiple attacks and actions

Octavious
November 6th, 2018, 20:20
Hey everyone,

If a PC has multiple attacks such as 2 attacks, and on their round in combat.. can they decide to attack once then instead of using the second attack use it for another action such as "disengage"?

I'm not sure how to call this.. Are the 2 attacks counted as a single action ? or as 2 actions of which on can be substituted for another?

Thanx for any clarifications .

Luvcheez73
November 6th, 2018, 20:32
Both attacks are a part of the "Attack" action.

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2018, 21:00
You normally only get one action per turn. What you can do with that action is noted on p192-193 of the PHB. You can either attack (and if you have more than one attack you make all of them) or you can do other things such as Disengage, hide, dodge, dash, help another etc. In short then no you can't use the second attack to do anything other than attack.

Octavious
November 6th, 2018, 22:25
Thanks for the clarification.. that is what I was leaning towards.. once again.. thank you .

GavinRuneblade
November 7th, 2018, 07:57
Thanks for the clarification.. that is what I was leaning towards.. once again.. thank you .

I think the confusion comes from using the word "attack" to mean two different things: (1) an "attack action" which might be multiple (2) "attacks" which are d20 rolls to hit. They should have used "combat action" or "assault action" or something to differentiate.

And the other confusion comes from the fact that somethings can be substituted for an attack, such as grapple or push. So if you have "extra attack", when you make the "attack action" you can swing twice or once plus push. The combat actions section of the players handbook covers the specifics of this.

And when a fighter uses action surge and anyone uses haste to get an extra action, they can do anything they want with it, they don't have to use it for an "attack action".