PDA

View Full Version : Background Build Restrictions

GarthGiantbane
November 6th, 2018, 18:47
Greetings,

I'm working on some pregen characters that I might offer for distribution in the future (in connection with an adventure module). I am using the 5ESRD Data for the links to the race, class, items and spells but I was wondering what are the restrictions on backgrounds. The SRD includes a pretty complete Acolyte background and I'd like to add a few others.

How much of the PHB backgrounds data can be duplicated? Can I use them at all? Can they be used with tweaks - name changes, omission of tables, etc. I appreciate any and all input on this.

Thanks in advance!

Garth

LordEntrails
November 6th, 2018, 21:40
So, I think you are going to have to few considerations;
General distribution is IP law, you can certainly use the background name, but you would not be able to use/include the background description and text.
If you distribute via the DMsGuild then you can use the full text from the PHB (or any other official publication) as long as you are not just making a compilation (and pre-gens are not considered compilations, several of us provide pre-gens on the DMsG), be aware of the other restriction using the guild.
Third is to see what's allowable under the Fan Content Policy program; https://company.wizards.com/fancontentpolicy I'm least familiar with this as it's 'relatively' new and I haven't had need to use it yet.