PDA

View Full Version : Odd connection issues for one of my players

Dax Doomslayer
November 6th, 2018, 14:34
Hi Folks,
Another question along different lines. We're playing 5E. I have a player that keeps getting a message "XX connection lost. Waiting for reconnect." (where XX is the username). It's the only person in the group that is having this issue. Initially it was fine. However, for the last 2 months or so, this would happen and it's pretty often (maybe about 6 times in a 2 hour session). I don't think it's on my end (I'm the host) as the others aren't having any issues. Would anyone have any idea? I figured I'd give it a shot though I'm not sure if it's an FG issue or a connection issue on his side. Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated!

Trenloe
November 6th, 2018, 14:55
This can be a (fairly) common issue if the player is running on WiFi. If they are, see if they can move their computer closer to the router, or use a wired connection.

If they are already on a wired connection, then it could be related to the computer getting overloaded (CPU wise). Or maybe someone else in the house using a lot of the Internet connection. ;)

Targas
November 6th, 2018, 16:31
Maybe it would help, if on the players end, the nuke button in the client sw is used to reload the cache from scratch.
Don‘t share stuff in your library accidently, you are not going to use in your games. So the user might not know if to download the SRD rules, the offical player handbook or whatever because all are checkmarked green. Don‘t use intense video broadcasting, but simply voice...

LordEntrails
November 6th, 2018, 16:42
One thing that is very easy to do for anyone using a wifi connection (for FG or general use). Download a "wifi analyzer" app on your smart phone. Open it up and look at the various wireless networks in your area. You should find your own as well. Take a look at what wifi networks on on what channels, then go into your wireless router and change it to the channel you find that has the least use.

You may find that your stability and speed are greatly enhanced by doing this. i.e. it's not linear, but if you go from a channel that has 10 networks on it to one that has 2 networks on it, you will see a big increase in performance and stability.

Dax Doomslayer
November 6th, 2018, 18:25
Thanks for the thoughts on this folks - they are greatly appreciated. I do believe he's on a wireless connection and that was my first thought for the culprit. I'll have to mention this thread to him tonight. LordEntrails, that's a good idea about the wifi analyzer!

LordEntrails
November 6th, 2018, 21:19
... LordEntrails, that's a good idea about the wifi analyzer!
I've got 2 of them on my phone, it's one of the things I do when I drop by a family member's house. Better to fix it before they even know their is an issue :)