PDA

View Full Version : LFG [D&D5E or PF2E]: Old Dog / New Tricks...

xscapebb
November 4th, 2018, 22:57
FG License: STD License (w/ 5E-PHB)
Time Zone: US EASTERN
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: Available MOST nights ( ~10pm - 4am EST | ~7pm - 1am PST )
Term: Long Term (or whatever to just get into FG more)
Voice: Discord or Teamspeak
Game System Preferred: D&D 5E (or Pathfinder 2e?)
Game System Experience: VETERAN (tabletop D&D 1st and 2nd edition... "old school") / NEW (online/5e)
Fantasy Grounds Experience: NOOB!

Character Type Preferred: open to whatever is needed

About me:

All of my kids are (young) adults now and have moved on/away... I work for myself and at home (IT Consultant)… I'm "always" on the computer... My wife is an "early-to-bed" type... I'm "up all night"...

WAAAAAY Back... I EXTENSIVELY played 1st & 2nd edition D&D (as both a PC and a DM)... (some) Top Secret, (some) Gamma World, (some) Traveler, (some) Call of Cthulu, (some) Star Frontiers, (various/all) World of Darkness (Vampire/Werewolf/Mage/Wraith/Changeling)… probably more that I'm not thinking of (as far as true RPG)… WarHammer (miniatures)… and then Magic: the Gathering... I am aware of and have read a bunch about Pathfinder, but never actually played it... and on into video games... I was major into Everquest from launch until it basically "died"... and then WoW from launch until a couple years ago (lost interest, they dumbed the game down so much...)… RIFT, GuildWars, StarWars: The Old Republic, LotR Online... I frequently play Heroes of the Storm (MOBA) now, but it certainly doesn't "scratch the old school D&D itch" of creating, customizing, and advancing a character (and the element of "group storytelling")… (by no means an exhaustive list of the games I've tried/played...)

Recently, I stumbled onto Critical Role (on YouTube) and re-invigorated my love/memory of D&D (from when I was a teen and young-adult)… So, I started searching videos on YouTube about 5e, reading on DNDbeyond, downloaded FantasyGrounds and poked around... etc...

The mix of ROLEPLAYING vs ACTION that I find the most engaging is where... Instead of "MIN-MAX-ING", and making choices simply because You (the player not the character) know what combination of skills will end up being the most "over-powered", you can build a character that does in fact turn out to be "powerful" but do it through "roleplay" thought-process of what "makes sense" for the character to do/choose/learn and how the world/locale/group influences such... From back-in-the-day, my biggest "pet-peeve" was that some (many?) players create characters (and continue on this path via in-game choices) that are by definition NOT "team-players"... Half the enjoyment (imo) is not only creating/advancing MY character, but the other HALF that is building/advancing OUR TEAM... etc.etc.

Anyhow, what I'm looking/hoping for may be a "tall order" (finding the right group "fit" AND/OR finding compatible "timeslot"), but figured might as well post and see what/who might be out there...

( possible this/above is "too much" lol... just wanted to give a clear/overview picture of who I am and what I'm looking for... )

frozentrooper
November 5th, 2018, 00:01
I'd be interested in joining though I can't stay up too late since I've got to be in at my own IT job by 8am Pacific time. New to D&D but I have been playing Pathfinder with a local group for a number of months now.

WrongWriter
November 5th, 2018, 06:05
You sound like you're describing me ��
I'm 51 and also rediscovered D&D through Critical Role.
I'm DMing a group of players in Lost Mines of Phandelver starting Monday (tonight) at 8 PM Eastern Time. I haven't met the players yet except through Discord chat so I can't vouch for their play style but you're welcome to join us if you're available.

I'll PM you the Discord invite so you can join if you're interested.

WrongWriter

Codge
November 5th, 2018, 14:39
I second WrongWriter. You are describing me too, LOL.
I'm 52 have been playing D&D and in later years pathfinder way off and on.

I'm new to FG so I'm learning a lot. I will be running the Pathfinder Play Test starting in a few weeks. We will be playing Sunday's from 4 to 7 or so Eastern Time.
If your interested let me know I can PM you a discord channel so we can meet and see if we think it'll work.

Right now I have 3 possible players from previous pathfinder games I played in.

Have a great day,

Codge

GreatRedDragonhunter
November 8th, 2018, 22:42
Hello I've been playing tabletop games pretty much since I was 14. I play first edition 2nd edition 3.0 3.5 and then I stopped giving wizard of the coast any money I play Pathfinder starfinder.

I actually would love to get back to doing a good old fashioned Dungeon Crawl or a fight in wildlands going to never Winter's Night. Or shadowdale.

I love the play a Pathfinder game I'm looking for a group I love playing and I've jammed before damned if you was her one you would call it but I prefer plain sometimes I love that part the most.
I live in u.s. mountain time so if you have an event going on after 6 p.m. tomorrow or late in the day on Saturday and Sunday like after 7 or on Sunday after 6:30 I'd be interested..