PDA

View Full Version : Q: Full or Lite version for players?

Zakarius
July 16th, 2006, 06:31
I recently ran into FG and it look awesome. I was running a game online half a year ago with an interface that one of the players and I put together -- it paled in comparison, of course. I wish I'd known about FG then!

Anyways, I hope to set up a new campaign which is a D&D 3.5 with VERY low magic set in a gnomish underground. I've always felt that the magic in D&D is just too over the top. Thus, I hope to make the following rule modifications with my full version.

1) The races in the game are completely of my own design (so their own stat modifiers, abilities, etc.)

2) almost all of the classes have one or two minor variations (and major when it comes to the spellcasters' spell lists)

And the question:
Would these modifications require the players to all have the full version of FG? If so, what do you think my chances of finding 2-4 players who have the full version?

Zakarius

Griogre
July 16th, 2006, 06:38
All the players need is the lite version. To make you changes you mention, you would need to change the ruleset if you wished documentation on the changes or a different character sheet. All ruleset changes are transfered to the players computer automatically when they connect.

You only need the full version if you are going to run a game and host. The only reason for a player to get the full version is if they plan on running their own game in the future.

Zakarius
July 16th, 2006, 09:12
From reading some other posts I misinterpreted and feared that the players of a rule modified campaign also needed to have the full version. Thanks for clearing this up.

Zakarius

richvalle
July 16th, 2006, 14:40
I don't think you would even have to mod FG at all for what you want. None of the races are 'built in' to FG. There is just a line where you type in what race they are. FG does not change anything stats or abilites based on that input.

Same with classes. Its a free text area that you type into. As Griogre says if you wanted the built in documentation to reflect your changes then you would have to make your own ruleset and change the doctumentation. If you are happy just emailing the race/class changes to people (or making your own webpage or whatever) then you are good to go right from start.

rv

As