PDA

View Full Version : Making a List of Draggable Traits

gtw2017
November 3rd, 2018, 11:11
Hi - I encountered an interesting restriction with Traits that I was hoping someone might know a workaround for.

So, we opened a character sheet and made a trait in the TRAITS section. Then we made another. Then tried to drag them to a Story template so that players could pick and choose and add their own traits to their character sheet.

So far so good. Then - when we deleted the original trait from the char sheet and tried to open the trait in the story - it was blank. Rob2e explained its because its a link that we are dragging, then when you delete the orginal trait the link has nowhere to go to.

The thing is you can't seem to drag Anything into the traits area on the abilities tab like you can with Feats. So my question is - is it possible to make an external list of traits without any messy re-labelling or using other fields to do it, like 1) making actions in the actions tab under powers or what-have-you and then making a list of those - or using spells, or having a stand-by char sheet that retains the original traits so that you can draw them for other characters?

In summary - Is there a tidy way to populate the traits section and build a list of them that characters can drag to their own sheet? Thanks in advance.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2018, 11:55
If posting in a generic forum, please remember to mention the ruleset being used. Thanks.

As Rob mentions, links in stories are just that - links, to data stored elsewhere.

Assuming you’re talking about the 5E ruleset: the trait record primarily originates from racial traits attached to a race. I believe the only place to make them within the GUI is in the race record. So you could make a dummy race with racial traits and then link those to a story record.

Or you could make same example racial traits within an example race to see the format of the XML. Then you could manually create these within the XML of a module and build a library list within the module.

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2018, 12:09
As Trenloe says Traits are related to race, and you get the traits of the race that you choose. You can't (without you doing something) pick Dwarven resilience as a trait if you choose human as your race. You would only get that if you choose Dwarf as your race.

It sounds like what you want is to create a number of subraces. If you wanted to give the player the option to choose human race with dwarven resilience then you would have to create a subrace of Half Dwarf or something similar and include that trait in the subrace. The player would then be able to take that subraces to get that trait.

More information on creating your own races here (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvtWYj3HpGj6aninQHnV7ZYH4fHpLg42I).

gtw2017
November 3rd, 2018, 12:45
Yes, 5e, thank you both we'll try that. Cheers :)