PDA

View Full Version : Connectivity issues despite port 1802 being open while FG is running

SuperGeneric
October 28th, 2018, 22:18
Hi guys,

I am having trouble hosting a game in fantasy grounds. I have opened port 1802 and let incoming connections matching that port past my firewall. I still get an error while trying to connect to the host game over the internet. I am pretty certain that I set up the port forwarding correctly, since www.canyouseeme.org says that the port is not blocked for 1802.

The warning i get when setting up the game is Network Warning: Client connection closed. I have also tried removing the aliasing and password. Still had no luck. Does anyone else have this issue or a solution to it?

LordEntrails
October 28th, 2018, 22:30
Check if your network connection is set to private. Check your anti-virus, check your firewall settings.

There is also a troubleshooting FG module that will walk you through the steps, I don't have a link atm, but if you can find it, I would suggest you go thorugh it.

If still stuck, paste the results of your tracert here so the network gurus can better help.

Trenloe
October 28th, 2018, 22:40
Welcome to the FG forums. Sorry you're having issues.

The warning i get when setting up the game is Network Warning: Client connection closed.
Where do you get this error, at what point in the load/connection process?

SuperGeneric
October 28th, 2018, 22:53
I have managed to get rid of that warning. But it now just give me.

Network Notice: Client unable to connect to host - Could not connect to the host. Check your network settings and verify the host address, then try again.

immediately after the player tries to connect.

SuperGeneric
October 28th, 2018, 22:55
I think there is definitely a problem. For some reason when i trace to google the connection times out along the way.

I am not very good at networking so I have no idea what this means.

Trenloe
October 28th, 2018, 22:58
Network Notice: Client unable to connect to host - Could not connect to the host. Check your network settings and verify the host address, then try again.

immediately after the player tries to connect.
Is the player on the same network as the GM or are they trying to connect over the Internet? If on the same network, connect to the local IP address of the GM computer, if over the Internet are you using the alias or the external IP address?

If connecting over the Internet does canyouseeme.org still show port 1802 open?

Trenloe
October 28th, 2018, 22:59
I think there is definitely a problem. For some reason when i trace to google the connection times out along the way.

I am not very good at networking so I have no idea what this means.
That is OK, and it also shows you have a public IP address for your second hop - which is good. :)

SuperGeneric
October 28th, 2018, 23:11
Is the player on the same network as the GM or are they trying to connect over the Internet? If on the same network, connect to the local IP address of the GM computer, if over the Internet are you using the alias or the external IP address?

If connecting over the Internet does canyouseeme.org still show port 1802 open?

I am trying to connect over internet. Although I am trying to use my computer to do it with a second instance of the launcher. I don't know if that is the problem. I didn't want to bother my friends if I could test it myself, since they live in different time zones.

so long as I have the host game open it shows 1802 as open on canyouseeme.org.

I'll ask one of the players to get on and see if they can connect.

Trenloe
October 28th, 2018, 23:18
I am trying to connect over internet. Although I am trying to use my computer to do it with a second instance of the launcher. I don't know if that is the problem.
Yeah, that's not a valid test.

Trenloe
October 28th, 2018, 23:19
PM me your alias and I can do a quick test connection if you like?

SuperGeneric
October 28th, 2018, 23:30
Well that was embarrassing I was testing it all wrong from the start lol.

Thank you Trenloe for helping me test, and everyone else for being helpful and super quick to respond. Can't wait to start GMing online for the first time:).