PDA

View Full Version : Dungeonfog

Kelrugem
October 26th, 2018, 20:01
Hello all :)

Does someone know Dungeonfog, a mapmaker (see here: https://www.dungeonfog.com/). Looks interesting, but I wonder if someone tried this out and has some experience with this. There is some free version for testing which I try out :)

Best,

Kelrugem

GunnarGreybeard
October 26th, 2018, 20:36
I haven't tried it yet but it looks interesting. Appears more user friendly than Dungeon Painter Studio, IMHO.

jasonthelamb
October 26th, 2018, 22:00
I have used both DPS and Dungeonfog - and I would honestly rather use DPS. I was unimpressed by dungeonfog - I have a premium subscription, but it seems like there are still very few assets available... I am unsure, I may just be doing it wrong... but with the addition of Forgotten Adventures Patreon stuff on DPS - I have *really* enjoyed playing around with it and making some halfway decent maps.

mac40k
October 26th, 2018, 22:27
I own DPS and recently tried out Dungeonfog (DF) for my current campaign. It's worth noting that while the end result (battlemaps) might be the same, they are very different programs. DPS is a tile mapper, while DF is a more of a drawing program. DF is still in beta and as the program matures, I expect that it will only get better. For my game, I ended up drawing just the basic layout in DF, exported it, and then used another program to insert the other assets I wanted to use from my collection.

Andraax
October 26th, 2018, 23:10
You can add your own assets to Dungeon Fog. I have added a bunch from my personal library for my use.

Ken L
October 26th, 2018, 23:41
I use DF all the time now for my battle maps. The polygon tool for rooms makes it easy to edit, and meld your rooms into shapes that would be tricky for other programs. DPS and others like are are stamp tools, or if they do have polygon tools, they're mostly for "drawing" a wall, but then editing it later becomes an issue.

DF is great for drawing layouts, and yes, their prop set is still very limited at the moment, but I've uploaded a large number of my own custom props, and that combined with the room tools have made making large interiors far easier than other programs.

If you frequently need to make room layouts, DF is a great solution with their free tier.

Personally for me, I use wonderdraft for my overland maps, and DF for my battle maps now. Ocassionally I'll do extra touch ups in GIMP for my DF maps, but as DF has matured I've needed to do this less and less.

Also @Mac, DF officially released today, they have a bunch of new features like dynamic lighting for illuminations and such.

Kelrugem
October 27th, 2018, 05:41
Thank you very much for your answers :) Then I am looking forward to try out Dungeonfog :)

jasonthelamb
October 27th, 2018, 06:09
You can add your own assets to Dungeon Fog. I have added a bunch from my personal library for my use.

Is premium only good for early access then? I only see a handful of "default" assets

Skellan
October 27th, 2018, 09:24
I bought Dungeonfog this week and I think it is great at making maps quickly that look decent. It has a shallow learning curve and it automatically puts things in the right place, joins stuff up and puts them on the right layers. It is super easy to do lighting effects and fading textures and it is really good at putting things on the right layer. The selection assets for premium members is ok. It has assets for a variety of settings, sci-fi, victorian, modern & fantasy, so it covers all bases. It would benefit from more assets, but it has only recently released and they are apparently working to introduce more. You can also import your own assets if necessary.

Overall, I am happy with the program so far. I don't plan on creating professional maps with it, but for creating a solid map for that scene you are running I think it is great.

Targas
October 27th, 2018, 13:59
Not sure if I understood the data privacy part and the usage terms correctly, but as far as I understood you can access your content as long as you have a subscription running. It will be kept there for some time, in case you are going to renew at some time, but that‘s it.
I don‘t like
A) to be excluded from my content, when I’m not permanently paying
B) to put everything in the cloud, where you have no guarantee on someone stealing your intellectual property
C) you can‘t modify your content with many browser, like safari on iPad

But hey, as anyone likes it. It‘s nothing for me...

Skellan
October 27th, 2018, 14:36
Well, you can download your maps as .png files and I suppose you could delete them from dungeonfog. Not that anyone would want to steal my IP anyway

Andraax
October 27th, 2018, 15:04
Is premium only good for early access then? I only see a handful of "default" assets

You have to go into the asset manager and select new assets, or upload new ones from your computer.

Ken L
October 28th, 2018, 10:45
Not sure if I understood the data privacy part and the usage terms correctly, but as far as I understood you can access your content as long as you have a subscription running. It will be kept there for some time, in case you are going to renew at some time, but that‘s it.
I don‘t like
A) to be excluded from my content, when I’m not permanently paying
B) to put everything in the cloud, where you have no guarantee on someone stealing your intellectual property
C) you can‘t modify your content with many browser, like safari on iPad

But hey, as anyone likes it. It‘s nothing for me...

A fair point, after all, a reason I moved to FG was to own rather than rent the use of my own content.

The slight difference here is that once you export your map as an image, you pretty much have it where as on roll20, you can't, your map/game lives or dies on roll20. All you loose is the ability to edit it using DF tools which is an acceptable TOS for me. If I ever wanted to leave DF, I could export all my maps in various formats and just loose the ability to edit using DF, which if I'm leaving DF is kind of a moot point. One thing I do like is that it's designed for offline games in the export options with various formats such as PDF and SVG so I can print them out in ready to assemble forms.

Targas
October 28th, 2018, 11:45
I already own the whole Campaign Cartographer Suite with most annuals, started to use it with CC2 for Harnmaster maps (there was an extension to support the art style) many years ago. For quick maps I use Illwinter‘s floorplan generator. In both cases I have the sources readily available to make changes on the fly offline.
The ability to edit the maps for different zoom levels or to create variations in layers like Player/GM variants offline is important for me, too. Something which is not possible with Dungeon Fog. In addition I hate to pay monthly subscriptions, be it patreon, or other recurring models. Alone the hassle to cancel subscriptions, and remembering where you paid how many when with what account makes me sick.

GunnarGreybeard
October 28th, 2018, 12:17
Hmm, haven't heard of that one > Illwinter‘s floorplan generator. Is it new?

Targas
October 28th, 2018, 12:38
Hmm, haven't heard of that one > Illwinter‘s floorplan generator. Is it new?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20879-Map-Making-Software-summary&p=407764&viewfull=1#post407764
Not that much new, but only available on Steam.