PDA

View Full Version : New Rule - Looking for Feedback - Controlled Burst Fire

Tailz Silver Paws
July 14th, 2006, 08:02
Hello, i've been working on a new way of handeing Automatic weapons in d20 Modern, as I am not happy with how the Burst Fire feat works (it does not really reflect automatic weapons, especialy machine guns). To get some more feed back I thought I would post the new feat I have been working on. This also complements the other discussion in reguard to Suppression.

Controlled Burst Fire
With this feat the character can control the automatic fire from a machine gun or other automatic fire weapon.

Benefit: The player may opt to make ether a Burst Fire Attack or a Suppression Attack.

Burst Fire Attack – As an attack action the character fires a burst of bullets at one specific target. An attack roll is made per bullet-fired equal to the weapons rate of fire stat, with an accumulative –2 (maximum -6) modifier to each attack roll after the first. The character may continue to fire the burst through subsequent actions but the modifiers continue as if these connected actions were the same attack.
Suppression Attack - As a full-round action the character may perform Suppression Fire. The weapon fires a number of bullets for the round equal to double the weapons automatic rate of fire stat, with an area effect of 10ft x 10ft or 20ft x 5ft. A suppression attack lasts from the characters initiative number to the same initiative number on the following combat round, characters with this area or who enter the area during the attack are effected by the Suppression Attack. Those effected must make a Suppression Check (see New & Special Rules: Suppression) and a Reflex save of DC 10 + half the characters total attack bonus (round down). If the Reflex save is failed the character suffers damage from one bullet, Characters with a bonus to defense gain the bonus as a dice roll modifier to the Reflex save. If the Suppression check is failed the shooter has suppressed the victim.

Running out of Bullets: If the weapon runs out of bullets during a Burst Fire Attack, the Burst Fire Attack ends with the last bullet. If the weapon runs out of bullets during a Suppression Attack, the attack automatically fails to suppress the target area.

Limited Burst Setting: If the weapon has a limited burst setting (eg: a three-round burst setting), firing a burst expends the number of bullets as per the setting instead of the Rate of Fire listing. Burst Fire with this setting activated cannot be continued between subsequent actions, nor can the weapon perform a Suppression Attack while this setting is active.

Normal: Characters without this feat may perform a Burst Fire Attack with an accumulative negative -2 per shot fired with no maximum. Thus a character without a weapon qualification firing a targeted burst is –6 for the first shot (-4 for no Weapon Qualification plus –2 for not having the Controlled Burst Fire Feat), -8 for the second, -10 for the third and so on. While a character with a weapon qualification is –2 for the first shot, -4 for the second shot, -6 for the third and so on.

acmer
July 14th, 2006, 09:14
Again, I'm not familiar with the modern rules, but...

"double the weapons automatic rate of fire stat": A weapon has a rate of fire and it cannot be increased, as far as I know.

Running out of bullets during suppressive firing should imo decrease the chances of suppression, not cause an automatic failure.

I guess the area can be any surface, vertical (for suppressing windows, doors etc) or horizontal.

I looked at the equipment pdf in your sig and there was the famous finnish smg. It's not written Suomim/1931. Suomi means Finland in finnish, and it should be written Suomi m/1931, Suomi m31 or something like that. Suomim doesn't mean anything. (m means model, I think)

Tailz Silver Paws
July 17th, 2006, 01:23
Again, I'm not familiar with the modern rules, but...

"double the weapons automatic rate of fire stat": A weapon has a rate of fire and it cannot be increased, as far as I know.

The reason for this is that the number listed in the weapon stats is for a single Attack Action or a single Burst, while a suppression attack is a full round action (eg: two attack actions), thus why you double it.

Running out of bullets during suppressive firing should imo decrease the chances of suppression, not cause an automatic failure.
I supose I could halve the DC, but then it gets a little too complex as then what do people do in the case they only have 1 or 2 or 3 bullets left.
I thought I would just make it simple, not enough and its a bit of a waist.

I guess the area can be any surface, vertical (for suppressing windows, doors etc) or horizontal.
Yup yup!

I looked at the equipment pdf in your sig and there was the famous finnish smg. It's not written Suomim/1931. Suomi means Finland in finnish, and it should be written Suomi m/1931, Suomi m31 or something like that. Suomim doesn't mean anything. (m means model, I think)
Thanks for that, I was using one of my old books to make that list. I'll do a little more research on that weapon.