PDA

View Full Version : Sunless Citadel 5e D&D

mhorgunn
October 26th, 2018, 03:30
Okay mentioned I had problems with last week's game. Two crashes tonight. I've got things pared down but was running the Goblinville room in the Sunless Citadel. Figure I'm pushing it with 30 + goblins in the tracker and the big hunker of a map. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Moon Wizard
October 26th, 2018, 04:27
If you are crashing, that typically means you are running out of memory. You can double check by opening Windows Task Manager, and watching the memory numbers while your campaign loads. FG will run out of memory around 3.3G on a 64-bit Windows OS; and around 1.6GB memory on a 32-bit Windows OS.

Here are the things that contribute the most to memory:
* Opening every single 5E module. (Make sure to close any adventures or rulebooks you are not currently using.)
* Large numbers of tokens (or large token files). (You should try to keep your token numbers under a few hundred, and the sizes should be 100x100 dimension or smaller.)
* Large campaign image files. (Your image files, such as maps, should be 2000x2000 dimension or smaller.)

The number of creatures in an encounter or in the combat tracker will have very little effect on memory; it's the graphics that matter.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
October 26th, 2018, 05:08
As Moon says, its the maps and images from all the modules or custom ones you have loaded. I've run at least 45 orcs in one combat with no problem.

Trenloe
October 26th, 2018, 09:33
As mentioned - look at windows task manager to see how much memory FantasyGrounds.exe is using.

Also, can you describe what you mean by "crashing"?

Trenloe
October 26th, 2018, 10:14
And also, don't use the experimental 64 bit version of FG for normal gaming as this has known issues (FG entering a permanent not responding state) when using image masking/unmasking. If you check the "Process" tab in Windows task manager when FG is running and see FantasyGrounds_x64.exe then you're running the 64 bit version.

mhorgunn
October 26th, 2018, 14:44
So ... I have gone through and brought my books down to the adventure mod, the dmg,ph, and monster manual. I also have the supplements such as creature codel, Volo's etc open. Should I close these? Shut down tokens to a bare bones. Running a 64 bit OS (Windows 8) and am running FG 32 bit @ 1095.3 MB without players connecting. Current number of players at a session is 4. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Trenloe
October 26th, 2018, 14:55
Any thoughts?
Look at the memory use when actually gaming, and if possible as you’re experiencing issues.

Can you also describe what you mean by FG crashing?

mhorgunn
October 26th, 2018, 15:34
Look at the memory use when actually gaming, and if possible as you’re experiencing issues.

Can you also describe what you mean by FG crashing?

So a window pops up ... usually when something is clicked ( last night the second time play was disrupted when I attempted to open the effects to place a prone condition.) There after nothing works in FG and we have to shut down and reboot. Last night a yellow screen popped up and the whole FG shut down.

Thank you

Trenloe
October 26th, 2018, 15:43
Can you describe these windows that pop up? Does the window have a title? Is there any text in the window?

Moon Wizard
October 26th, 2018, 16:11
Please double check that you are not using the 64-bit experimental version. This version will have sporadic issues which will appear that the program “locks up”; but is really just not redrawing screen.

If you are getting error messages that pop up in a FG console window when clicking on stuff; then it sounds like perhaps you have some extensions loaded that are throwing errors. Try unloading ALL extensions for your next session.

Regards,
JPG

mhorgunn
October 26th, 2018, 18:19
The pop up has some text but I am unsure what it says ... will try and take pictures if it happens again. The task Manager says it is Fantasy Grounds 32 Bit, is there somewhere else I should look to double check? Again Thanks!

mhorgunn
October 26th, 2018, 18:22
Please double check that you are not using the 64-bit experimental version. This version will have sporadic issues which will appear that the program “locks up”; but is really just not redrawing screen.

If you are getting error messages that pop up in a FG console window when clicking on stuff; then it sounds like perhaps you have some extensions loaded that are throwing errors. Try unloading ALL extensions for your next session.

Regards,
JPG

Right now The only extensions I am running is Oz base/sound and Rob's sound which is a Mod?

Trenloe
October 26th, 2018, 18:22
The pop up has some text but I am unsure what it says ... will try and take pictures if it happens again.
Yes please, this is pretty vital in tracking down what the issue is.

The task Manager says it is Fantasy Grounds 32 Bit, is there somewhere else I should look to double check?
Task Manager reporting it's specifically 32 bit is good enough.

mhorgunn
October 26th, 2018, 18:39
Ok ... great. We don't play again until Sunday night. One way or another I will report what happens ... Thank you for your patience and help.

mhorgunn
October 29th, 2018, 04:08
OK! Just closed down the game and sent the last player through the virtual door. I do not have anything to show you of pop ups or anything of the like. Reason? NO CRASHES!!!! Yahoo! Not even a hiccup. I did monitor with the Task Manager and with four players logged in we were running at 1,085 MB. Thank you for all your help from both myself and my friends. We plan to see about adding back the few extensions ... one at a time. Thank you again.