PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Should I limit players to official FG dlc?

Schneiderpants
October 25th, 2018, 11:34
I’m a DM, and considering switching from roll20 to Fantasy Grounds and running the official Rise of the Runelords DLC for my party.

From DM perspective, I am very impressed with the combat, inventory, and xp tracking I have seen in the FG videos. Purchasing the official FG adventure path DLC is well worth the prep-time it will save me.

I see only the Core Rulebook, APG and ultimate magic are currently supported. I’m hesitant to limit my players to only that content.
For experienced FG players that have both used the official Pathfinder DLC but also played without it previously, what would we be giving up in FG automation and experience if I wanted to only purchase the RotRL AP, and let my players use classes, weapons and spells not currently having official FG DLC?

I see there are community made mods for expanded classes and races... any input on using those in place of FG official DLC would also be appreciated.

Nylanfs
October 25th, 2018, 12:29
Welcome to the forums and FG Community.

The character sheets are all text, they can use what ever they want and fill it out by hand if they want something that the DLC isn't done for yet. They would just have to manually figre their character bonuses and such, just like around a table. :)

Schneiderpants
October 25th, 2018, 17:47
Thanks Nylanfs. If we manually create unsupported characters, can we still drag/drop attacks from the character sheet into combat, so that damage and conditions are auto-applied?

This is the type of functionality I find appealing for combat management, and wonder how much has to be sacrificed for unsupported character types.

LordEntrails
October 25th, 2018, 17:49
imo there's little in the way of problems using the community modules or allowing players to use stuff you do not have FG DLC for. What it means (not having FG versions) is that they are going to have to type in the abilities and manually level up. They will have to manually create the appropriate actions and effects. But those are things they do once (when building the character or leveling up), not something they have to do everytime they want to use the ability etc.

Besides, if you or a player wants to, they can make their own module for a class or race etc and then turn that into a module and share it with you, and then you can allow all your player to access it to :)

LordEntrails
October 25th, 2018, 17:49
Thanks Nylanfs. If we manually create unsupported characters, can we still drag/drop attacks from the character sheet into combat, so that damage and conditions are auto-applied?
Yes, absolutely. This is what I was getting at in my other post about only having to set things up once.

Nylanfs
October 25th, 2018, 18:06
You can also create your characters in PCGen and import them with minimal issues.

epithet
October 27th, 2018, 20:49
My group was playing in Pathfinder on Fantasy Grounds long before the "official" modules were released, and we did just fine.